• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MechWarrior Online - News and Information Thread

Giolon

They added aim assist? Good god. And I see PGI still hasn't figured out how to talk with the community. Bunch of clowns.

They didn't add aim assist. In 3rd person, the ray trace for aiming is from the cockpit. This can cause it to look like it's jumping to auto-aim - when in reality it's "jumping" b/c in 3rd person, the reticle is showing the first point of impact from an offset perspective. There was a whole gigantic thread on it on the forums, and it was explained how it works.

I mean come on, we can shit on PGI for all sorts of stupid decisions, but lets not make up additional things.

HariKari

I mean come on, we can shit on PGI for all sorts of stupid decisions, but lets not make up additional things.

Thanks for explaining. I was wave 1 closed beta. I have had all sorts of interesting (mostly bad) experiences with PGI so I wouldn't put the addition of aim assist beyond them, which is sort of sad. It's a shame to see the IP in their hands.

Nymerio

yW5DS5k.png

Is that shadow from what I think it's from?

Woorloog

Banned
Very subtle.

Timber Wolf obviously.
Theoretically it could be Rakshasa, ignoring the fact Rakshasa is reverse-engineered Timber Wolf and that took a few years IIRC.

TransTrender

Gold Member
I wouldn't want one in the current state of the game. Two big targets on your shoulders, two big gangly arms, way too easy to get de-clawed.

Woorloog

Banned
I wouldn't want one in the current state of the game. Two big targets on your shoulders, two big gangly arms, way too easy to get de-clawed.

Don't forget it is an omni-mech, meaning it should have new mechanics (probably no armor customization or other things, but all weapons and equipment?). Gonna wreck the game, more than it is already.

akira28

MechWarrior Online |OT| You could have used your powers for good

or maybe

MechWarrior Online |OT| Not this..not like this. No--

edit: the sad part is I'm about to load up right now to get in a few before sun up, so I can dismantle something with my 6 Splaser Jenny.

Orayn

I am almost annoyed by how much I'm enjoying this game now that I have a functional build. I think I might need to tone down the snark in the new OT, if only a little. The fundamentals of this game's combat can still be extremely entertaining.

I am almost annoyed by how much I'm enjoying this game now that I have a functional build. I think I might need to tone down the snark in the new OT, if only a little. The fundamentals of this game's combat can still be extremely entertaining.

The core gameplay is fine, but it's been almost a year and it doesn't really feel like they have added anything to the game outside of more mechs.

What are you running?

I swapped out the PPC/2x SL Spider build for an ERLL/2x ML build since the PPC nerf and I find myself actually doing better on average now.

Still trying to find my locust feet, can't seem to nail that down yet.

Orayn

What are you running?

I swapped out the PPC/2x SL Spider build for an ERLL/2x ML build since the PPC nerf and I find myself actually doing better on average now.

Still trying to find my locust feet, can't seem to nail that down yet.

Currently rocking a JM6-S with 2x AC/20 and an XL 280, flip-flopping between taking 2x ML and two extra tons of ammo.

Maybe my enjoyment is coming from the fact that I'm getting better at opportunistically coring dudes and blowing off arms.

Orayn

The actual price per 'Mech works out pretty well, it's the timed exclusivity and limiting classics like the Mad Cat to expensive tiers that really bothers me. Goddammit, PGI...

Phades

They didn't add aim assist. In 3rd person, the ray trace for aiming is from the cockpit. This can cause it to look like it's jumping to auto-aim - when in reality it's "jumping" b/c in 3rd person, the reticle is showing the first point of impact from an offset perspective. There was a whole gigantic thread on it on the forums, and it was explained how it works.

Even with that explanation, it doesn't explain the cursor jump when the total distance to target isn't what is in question, but rather the transversal distance between center screen and the intended object or why it goes from one part to a different part following the bone structure of the object. It should just smoothly re-adjust over it just like lasers do mid shot when something passes in front of it in frist person (in reference mainly to convergence of seperate weapon systems in different hit locations).

If it is just an optical error, it shouldn't also do hit registration and part damage (never mind how fubar that is on its own).

The behavior is just different, which casues pause for concern. Then again, I don't ever recall the speed between two mechs being a deciding factor in if something actually registers to hit circa last year being admitted to at all either, so until mech legs stop popping off when i use that method in 3rd person I'm not inclined to really believe that explanation given the difference in precision involved with the view in general and arm lock tracking.

HariKari

The actual price per 'Mech works out pretty well, it's the timed exclusivity and limiting classics like the Mad Cat to expensive tiers that really bothers me. Goddammit, PGI...

Has anyone added up what all of these packs have cost? (Founders, Phoenix, Clans) etc.. at the top tier? Because the only reason these things exist is because there's a very small percentage of players who will buy it. PGI has created a theme park for Mechwarrior whales, essentially. The rest of you get to enjoy the grind as a result.

The perfect example of F2P gone crazy.

KOCMOHABT

I really like the concept art but apart from that... I feel sad. I think charging 500$ for what is basically almost no additional work for PGI... wow. I mean 500$, that could ruin somebody's life. That is just sad.

How did they come up with these prices? I really hope noone supports these politics.

page1_BG.png

Finalizer

At least they're not being subtle about it anymore.

When I worked on MWLL, people didn't have to pay a cent of real-world money to pilot a mech, clan or otherwise. Just git gud. (。◕‿‿◕。)

Orayn

The other thing that annoys me about this is the way they're taking preorders for 'Mechs that are coming out in June while we still don't have solid release dates on important features like UI 2.0, improved matchmaking, and Community Warfare.

I really like the concept art but apart from that... I feel sad. I think charging 500$ for what is basically almost no additional work for PGI... wow. I mean 500$, that could ruin somebody's life. That is just sad.

How did they come up with these prices? I really hope noone supports these politics.

page1_BG.png

Flying Debris is UNRIVALED when it comes to 'Mechs. His art is one of the best things about the game, honestly.

Woorloog

Banned
Impressive. Are they trying to piss people off?
$500 for a pack with all mechs numbering around 50 plus unique skins and a lot of other stuff would be reasonable (considering $240 nets you 24 mechs, ie $10 per mech) but for one skin?
That's just fucked up.
Are they running low on money or something?

KOCMOHABT

yeah definitely. I actually like the version below even more.
Alex' work make this whole thing a bit more believable, PGI a bit more trustable, but this "GOLD MECH" thing is unforgivable.

I think MWO as a game is not that bad, but when a company goes mad like this (and maybe it's actually INFINITE GAME PUBLISHING instead of PGI, who knows) I will not support this any longer. I really hope there is going to be a media outcry about this.

f227a6e495884fabc90a1cd13d96d636.jpg

Also lol @ "Signed digital concept art"

Woorloog

Banned
BTW, New thread for new news, no?
So perhaps someone should make a thread about the Clan Mechs coming to MWO... next year... with no Ui2.0 or Community Warfare anywhere to be seen... and $500 skins.
I mean, this is kind of an OT, not a news thread proper (really, despite it saying "News" in the title).

HariKari

Flying Debris is UNRIVALED when it comes to 'Mechs. His art is one of the best things about the game, honestly.

If someone were to take over the license from PGI, they should fire anyone left and just keep him. Awesome art direction ruined by everything else.

Impressive. Are they trying to piss people off?
$500 for a pack with all mechs numbering around 50 plus unique skins and a lot of other stuff would be reasonable (considering $240 nets you 24 mechs, ie $10 per mech) but for one skin?
That's just fucked up.
Are they running low on money or something?

Community is in full meltdown right now. What kind of legal protections are there in Canada for people who buy something but never receive it? I ask because they could take the community for what it's worth and then immediately close up shop. Just run off with the money. It's a pretty small team, so they could pull it off. I think it's telling when a company charges you upfront for a feature they are promising you six months from now, especially a game that has already 'launched.' It reeks of financial desperation or even some sort of scam.

If PGI had a clue or the money, they'd only charge when these packs and features actually hit and make sense. But this is the worst kind of pay 2 win. The gold mechs get 'unique' modules of some sort. It's just shameful. Battletech deserves so much better.

Woorloog

Banned
Community is in full meltdown right now.

Figures. Kind of expected that so i didn't even bother checking the forum.
Everything with this game has gone to hell since they removed repairs and rearming. Well, perhaps before that. Close enough.
What should've been a hardcore simulation game, ie have its own niche...Guess it wasn't going to be profitable enough. Or at least PGI/Infinity thought so.

HariKari

"Wait, Star Citizen made HOW MUCH?"

RSI has talent and real money behind it

PGI is as rinky-dink as F2P devs come. They chose CryEngine specifically because Crytek will give it to you for free until you start showing revenue. No money down! 'Minimally viable'

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I wish Microsoft would just stop the craziness and just make another full fledged MechWarrior game.

Since day 1 I have been begging for clans... and PGI does.... that. Ugh.

Woorloog

Banned
They chose CryEngine specifically because Crytek will give it to you for free until you start showing revenue.

wat

Seriously, what?

Always thought CryEngine was kind of non-sensical choice as the game was going to be F2P, and ideally those aim as large potential customer base as possible, ie not too steep system requirements. At least that's what i believe, not sure if i'm correct.
But if it was free... eh, well that kind of explains it.

(And isn't having their own engine better in long-term? I've understood in-house engines are usually easier to modify and add to, as they know it well having built it.)

I wish Microsoft would just stop the craziness and just make another full fledged MechWarrior game.

Since day 1 I have been begging for clans... and PGI does.... that. Ugh.

Clans were always coming, the game was set in 3050 for that reason, it would enable them to add Clans in the first proper expansion to the game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Clans were always coming, the game was set in 3050 for that reason, it would enable them to add Clans in the first proper expansion to the game.

My complaint is more on the egregious payment for the mechs after they finally arrived. Over $200 for a timber wolf? Ughhhh

Mupod

looked up one of my old posts

Can you imagine what clans will be like? $120 tier with a Daishi that won't be available to those dirty free players for 6 months. Just keep that in mind if you're actually planning on buying into that battlemaster.

hahaha oh god

Woorloog

Banned
My complaint is more on the egregious payment for the mechs after they finally arrived. Over $200 for a timber wolf? Ughhhh

Early access, and that's for a bunch of mechs, not just Mad Cat.
Reckon they're doing the Project Phoenix again, slowly giving access to normal customers.

Man, I'm really regretting getting founders, even for $60 or whatever it was that I paid in that range. I can now officially add Mechwarrior: Online to the list next to that life time sub of Star Trek Online that I never played along with that copy of Hellgate: collector's edition, topped off with the double duo of stardock's Demigod and Elemental Collector's Edition to my hall of shame now.

Woorloog

Banned
Man, I'm really regretting getting founders, even for $60 or whatever it was that I paid in that range.

I paid even less ($30 tier) and regret that. A lot.
Never spent any of my MC because i knew there'd be mech sales. And then they started making Hero Mechs so there's no reason to spend MC for normal mechs (and i don't care about customization)... and all Heros are too expensive and boring. Really should've thought before buying Founder's, despite my love for Battletech.

EDIT oh, and where the fuck is Hellbringer and Mad Dog? And the others.

I paid even less ($30 tier) and regret that. A lot.
Never spent any of my MC because i knew there'd be mech sales. And then they started making Hero Mechs so there's no reason to spend MC for normal mechs (and i don't care about customization)... and all Heros are too expensive and boring. Really should've thought before buying Founder's, despite my love for Battletech.

Yeah, I still have all my MC as well. It's too bad I can't get a refund of anything.

HariKari

wat

Seriously, what?

Always thought CryEngine was kind of non-sensical choice as the game was going to be F2P, and ideally those aim as large potential customer base as possible, ie not too steep system requirements. At least that's what i believe, not sure if i'm correct.
But if it was free... eh, well that kind of explains it.

(And isn't having their own engine better in long-term? I've understood in-house engines are usually easier to modify and add to, as they know it well having built it.)

Crytek farms out the engine as a way to subsidize the cost of developing it. They make available their engineers and resources to help with development, but only to a certain extent. They will front you the engine for free, and only take a cut of your revenue moving forward once you start making some. It's a part of their strategy to be the go-to for F2P devs.

“For those who want to make the step into commercial gaming, we’ll offer a royalty-only license model for games made with this SDK, where Crytek require only 20% of the developer’s revenues from the commercial launch of their game.”

An in-house engine is expensive and takes a long time to develop. PGI is a really, really small team that just exists off of whales and an engine they paid nothing for. They had some investors early on and were racing (ever since closed beta) to release a 'minimally viable product' aka something that they could start charging for before they burned through their initial cash. Founders kept the lights on for awhile. You'll see these packs every few months and all sorts of crap because the company seems to be living off of the whales in a very real way.

Project Phoenix musta worked out well for them, so of course we get this garbage. People needed to not buy Phoenix, give them the message that this is not how they should handle it. But yea, of course the hardcore tossed money at them.

Finalizer

They chose CryEngine specifically because Crytek will give it to you for free until you start showing revenue. No money down! 'Minimally viable'

Never even knew that much. Far as I knew it'd been purely because MWLL was working proof that a Mechwarrior title was possible within Cryengine.

Mudcrab

"Wait, Star Citizen made HOW MUCH?"

Star Citizen is crowdfunding. You pay this money to fund development of the ultimate product, the ship is a nice bonus not the point. If they fail to deliver take 'em to the cleaners and burn Chris Roberts effigies.

PGI here is now saying give me $500 for a gold Timberwolf and maybe we'll talk about giving you that Clan Warfare we promised you almost two years ago, two monetary schemes ago let alone a functional UI 2.0. They just went through the phoenix packs and haven't even delivered the reinforcement part of the package, and they are already onto the next and its even more egregious than the last. At the very least SC lets you pledge for the individual ship. Here you have to buy mechs you don't even want to get the one you actually do.

KOCMOHABT

the CryEngine 20% deal is aimed towards indies, but is not really 100% set in stone. If you want to have the licence you will talk to someone from Crytek, it's not just a matter of filling out forms.
(Which is also sort of a problem for many indies btw, the answers and actual contracts sometimes take months)

And for bigger fish it's totally not a fixed solution. And I think PGI with Infinite Publishing have a custom deal. Whatever it is, I am pretty sure Crytek has seen some money by now.

Sry for the OT.

Top Bottom