• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
purple cobra said:
I was going to say how some people complain about lack of recoil in some guns in COD but this game has like no recoil whatsoever. I was burst firing with the MP7 last night and there was really no need. I agree about the shotgun range. Somebody took me out from a pretty good distance and when the pic of the type of gun that took me out popped up onscreen, I was shocked when I saw it was a shotgun!
Well, keep in mind, while Shotguns aren't pinpoint accurate, they ARE effective weapons at a certain range. especially against soft targets. The buckshot doesn't suddenly disappear after 15 yards, and the spread at close range isn't really all that wide at all. At ranges of as much as 30-50 yards depending on your shot and gauge, the shotgun can still be just as devastating a weapon, and it kind of gets lumped in FPSs with CQC ONLY groups when that's a very limited way of seeing the weapon.

Also, there's the Slug upgrade for the shotguns, so that would provide distance and power over range without shot spread.

kuYuri

For anybody who has Dr Pepper codes, it seems that they are finally offering Medal of Honor prizes. Enter codes here:

http://www.drpepper.com/promotions/ea/

Keep in mind, it seems to be PC and Xbox 360 only right now. No clue when or if PS3 people will get it. At least it's an improvement over BC2 in that they added one more platform.

They have new a new skin for Sniper class, new camos for M21 and SVD, and new sights for M21 and SVD. Not sure if there will be more prizes later on.

I just got my new Sniper skin with it so far.

24v080g.png
2d9db9x.png
zuihoz.png
nc144k.png
t6vzv9.png

BTW doomed1, you might want to change it in the OP that you don't need Online Pass to play multiplayer.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
doomed1 said:
Well, keep in mind, while Shotguns aren't pinpoint accurate, they ARE effective weapons at a certain range. especially against soft targets. The buckshot doesn't suddenly disappear after 15 yards, and the spread at close range isn't really all that wide at all. At ranges of as much as 30-50 yards depending on your shot and gauge, the shotgun can still be just as devastating a weapon, and it kind of gets lumped in FPSs with CQC ONLY groups when that's a very limited way of seeing the weapon.

Also, there's the Slug upgrade for the shotguns, so that would provide distance and power over range without shot spread.
Shotguns in games are usually expected to be 'movie' shotguns - ie blast you into the air at close range, useless at long range.

hellclerk

Strider2K99 said:
BTW doomed1, you might want to change it in the OP that you don't need Online Pass to play multiplayer.
Really? Then what was that whole thing about the online pass then?

kuYuri

doomed1 said:
Really? Then what was that whole thing about the online pass then?

Online Pass is for additional content. Presumably in the future it means new maps and such, but right now it's only for MP7, early shotgun unlocks, different Spec Ops class camo skin and I believe also BF3 beta access.

hellclerk

poppabk said:
Shotguns in games are usually expected to be 'movie' shotguns - ie blast you into the air at close range, useless at long range.
Which is exactly why they shouldn't be like that in this game, which strives for better realism. Not to say that it's realistic, just that to have that sort of a shotgun style makes sense.

Strider2K99 said:
Online Pass is for additional content. Presumably in the future it means new maps and such, but right now it's only for MP7, early shotgun unlocks, different Spec Ops class camo skin and I believe also BF3 beta access.
Ah, okay, that makes sense...

Aumann

So my friend brings over the game to my place and tells me to try it out. I start up SP campaign and immediately go into the options to change it to southpaw (Im not a lefty but I am better at aiming with my left thumb) and to my surprise, there is no southpaw! WTF I thought EA said they were going to let the player customize the control scheme to suit their playstyle. Sorry but no southpaw in shooters these days = no buy.

baylon452

Neo Member
Having a lot of fun with this. Played the first level of singleplayer and then jumped online. Been feeling the water, playin a bit of each mode. Like everything so far. I really like some of the city maps, more so than the mountainous maps anyway. Over all though, im very happy :D

kevm3

Still enjoying the game a lot, but some issues are cropping up after more serious playtime:
1) Snipers are seriously overpowered. When 8 times out of ten, the top 3 or 4 guys are snipers in most matches and have stats like 27 and 3 and 18 and 2, then something is wrong. Sniper rifles should be one shot kill from the neck on up. Body needs to take two shots. The rifles also need more bounce. Up close shots should be inaccurate as well. There is absolutely no reason a sniper should win a head up encounter with me when I'm shooting him up close with a submachine gun and I shot first.

2) New levels need a lot more chokepoints. Kandahar marketplace is decent, but many of the stages only have a couple of chokepoints, so it involves one team sitting back and camping the chokepoint and a rushing team who is usually behind on points because of that.

3) Give grenades, grenade launchers and rockets a bit more blast radius. Not a ton, because it's refreshing to play a game without grenade spam everywhere, but some to keep corridor campers honest.

4) There needs to be more spawn points. It's very lame getting killed 2 or 3 times in a row because you have guys spawn camping and you respawn in the EXACT same place as they drop mortar strikes or take pot shots from afar.

kevm3

Here's another one:
There needs to be a climb button ala COD4. Very frustrating trying to get on to a surface and needing to hop several times, which exposes you to gunfire. There also needs to be more elevated surfaces you can get on so that you can actually have people that can peek over a wall instead of everybody aiming down the entrance of it waiting for someone to expose themselves. Having someone being able to get on a trashcan and look over the wall and shoot shakes up the camping a bit.

Drastic

JB1981 said:
@Drastic: where do you get the $25 coupon?

It's a gaming coupon that prints out with the receipt. You get $25 off your next gaming purchase between 10-17 and 11-27, perfect for Black Ops.

I think tomorrow is the last day for the deal.

^ If your team camps the top left corner of that map when the match starts, the other team has no chance of ever getting to the helicopter.

Maybe this game is selling well. I took my copy back to Blockbuster and all 25 copies were out.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
^ If your team camps the top left corner of that map when the match starts, the other team has no chance of ever getting to the helicopter.

Maybe this game is selling well. I took my copy back to Blockbuster and all 25 copies were out.

Our team didn't even need to camp. The other team were obsessed with getting personal kills with snipers, and as a result didn't advance at all. The next round we took to chinook in no time.

I'm really digging the multiplayer a lot. Just hit lvl 8 with the rifleman.

One thing I cannot stand is ppl spamming smoke grenades and just don't do anything. They do serve a purpose...

GT: SheriffofPaddys if anyone wants to team up!

Strider2K99 said:

Yep, that whole you need it to play multiplayer was a straight up myth and lie started by assholes. :p

http://www.ea.com/1/online-pass
"The Medal of Honor Online Pass will entitle you to a future downloadable pack."
"Unlocks the ability to access bonus content, including additional maps."
2dre0lc.gif

It better be actual new, actual free maps this time or I'll feel like a fucking asshole.

BC2 had a worryingly similar scheme in place. Basically what it amounted to was 3 out of 8 maps being inaccessible at launch. To later (months later) be made available as "additional content free of charge". I vowed to not support such bullshit in the future. Now I may have helped in the ruining of BF3. :(

I just beat the sp campaign. Overall I thought it was pretty good. Really enjoyed the more realistic approach with the story and some of the voice work was very well done. I think it was the first Ranger mission where
you're behind the hut with the truck and enemies are coming from all sides
where it really felt realistic.
One of the guys you can hear his voice crack a bit and you can tell they were scared as hell hoping for support.

I did get a bit annoyed on some of the missions where it was really clear what I had to do. The
Sniping
missions in particular. I didn't know where to look and they eventually just showed it on the hud since I took so long. Kinda ruined the flow of it for me.

Wish the sp was a bit longer and more fleshed out some. I'll probably get on mp later tonight.

I didn't really get the ending after the final mission. Can anyone explain it?

hellclerk

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mr. Snrub said:
Care to elaborate? There were some damned impressive pics posted earlier.
I'm sure on PC it looks great. The first scene on the 360 version with all the fire effects has framedrops. I thought this was going to be 60 FPS.

Is it 720p?

kuYuri

There's no way UE3 or Frostbite will ever hit and maintain 60FPS on console unless the devs cut alot of corners along the way. And that's a big maybe.

Also, I completely disagree that the SP looks bad. It looks really good in some parts even on console, especially the lighting, but there are sections of crazy frame drops that I experienced during explosions or other intensive scenes.

Y2Kev said:
I'm sure on PC it looks great. The first scene on the 360 version with all the fire effects has framedrops. I thought this was going to be 60 FPS.

Is it 720p?

Oh, sorry. You said "runs" and I usually associate that with PC's.

hellclerk

Strider2K99 said:
This game has equal to or less of a "story" than any MW game.
Really? REALLY? Seriously, as soon as they said "aerial invasion of the US", I gave up on anything vaguely realistic happening in MW2. Heck, No Russian was bad enough as it were. Sure, the main driving point of MOH is "Kill the terrerists", but it's more reasonable and doesn't sound like it's coming out of a paperback action novel. The story I think is much better done than MW2 or even MW to an extent.

VALKYRAY

Banned
this game is such a tragedy.
campain feels buggy and unfinished. i almost beat the campain on the hardest difficulty in one sit.
the online is very camping friendly, plus no killcam or killer zoom in, you don't know how you died and where your killer was at. two sides with fixed weapons. and many more, i can go on and on.
what a waste of money for purchasing this game.

Cagen

VALKYRAY said:
plus no killcam or killer zoom in

I agree the multiplayer has an insane amount of faults, though I am very particular about what I constitute as a good multiplayer shooter (and I hate MW) but people vue having no kill cam as a bad thing?

VALKYRAY

Banned
no kill cam is definitely a bad thing. the game is already camping friendly enough. no kill cams makes it even worse.
especially getting killed by a sniper, and not knowing where the shot was from. that sniper could just sit at the same spot picking people out over and over. at least that's what I did, and i got a 12 killstreak on my very first match.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
VALKYRAY said:
this game is such a tragedy.
campain feels buggy and unfinished. i almost beat the campain on the hardest difficulty in one sit.
the online is very camping friendly, plus no killcam or killer zoom in, you don't know how you died and where your killer was at. two sides with fixed weapons. and many more, i can go on and on.
what a waste of money for purchasing this game.

I'm curious about what feels unfinished in the campaign? I played through it on normal and died a bunch of times. Took me about five hours to finish I believe. To me it came off as well done campaign -- I don't see what MW2 did better, really, in terms of gameplay. I encountered one or two bugs throughout the campaign.

The online is rather camping friendly with a lot of open views and a lot comes down to how your team plays. I just finished a combat mission in the mountains and I swear, there was one guy and me who went for the first point using smoke -- everyone else seemed to just hang back. Needless to say, we never got past the chinook. Next round and it's me and one or two other guys trying to defend it while the rest hang back yet again. They ran us over and finished all the missions in no time.

Killcams I don't care for though, so yeah, doesn't bother me. It's usually quite easy to guess where the snipers are hiding.

daevv

Decided to ask for the game for Christmas. The Battlefield 3 beta and Frontlines on the PS3 version is a great deal. Hopefully by then it will be patched, etc.

~d

Erasus

Is this worth it if I already have Bad Company 2?

Will this have a community in 6 months? PC version is what I am talking about.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Erasus said:
Is this worth it if I already have Bad Company 2?

Will this have a community in 6 months? PC version is what I am talking about.

I would only get it if the single player/Battlefield 3 beta interests you. The multi will probably be dead next month.

kn4rf

Just finished the single player on PC and thought overall it looked and played spectacularly.
(1680x1050 all settings maxed, didn't notice any frame-rate or visual issues at all)

I just loved the atmosphere, military jargon and the story.

While it was cut short it kept me hooked the whole way through. Unfortunately though the enemy AI was dumb as a rock even on Hard.

Looking forward to getting into some Tier 1 mode and Multiplayer tonight!

Enosh

kinda mindblow

from the operation anaconda wiki

"A convoy led by Army Chief Warrant Officer Stanley L. Harriman of the Third Special Forces Group split off from the main TF Hammer force to reach the assigned observation point. Grim 31, an AC-130 aircraft providing fire support and reconnaissance for the assault, spotted Harriman's convoy and, due to a failure in its inertial navigation system, believed it was in a position away from friendly forces (this was due to a problem with the "glint" panels which should have identified the convoy as American). Grim 31 engages the column, resulting in the death of Harriman and wounding several Afghan militia and U.S. special forces"

wasn't the ingame AC-130 called reaper 31? And the missidentification was due to glint panels?

I know EA said they did their homework, but damn

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Enosh said:
kinda mindblow

from the operation anaconda wiki

"A convoy led by Army Chief Warrant Officer Stanley L. Harriman of the Third Special Forces Group split off from the main TF Hammer force to reach the assigned observation point. Grim 31, an AC-130 aircraft providing fire support and reconnaissance for the assault, spotted Harriman's convoy and, due to a failure in its inertial navigation system, believed it was in a position away from friendly forces (this was due to a problem with the "glint" panels which should have identified the convoy as American). Grim 31 engages the column, resulting in the death of Harriman and wounding several Afghan militia and U.S. special forces"

wasn't the ingame AC-130 called reaper 31? And the missidentification was due to glint panels?

I know EA said they did their homework, but damn

They game has always been based (if a bit loosely) on operation Anaconda.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Spl1nter said:
Doubt that.

Well since the most I have ever seen on has been 30k at a time, it isn't hard to believe, unless you're one of those people who don't consider a 2k playerbase "dead."

It definitely won't be on the top 10 in a month or two.

kn4rf

BattleMonkey said:
So PC impressions? Got very powerful PC so should be able to crank it up all high.

Ran the Single Player maxed out on my rig at 1680x1050 looked and played awesome!

I have a pretty mid range rig:

Intel i7 860 - 2.8Ghz (Stock)
Radeon 5770
8GB DDR3

hellclerk

Alienshogun said:
Well since the most I have ever seen on has been 30k at a time, it isn't hard to believe, unless you're one of those people who don't consider a 2k playerbase "dead."

It definitely won't be on the top 10 in a month or two.
He's talking about the PC version. Those games never seem to die. All you need is a local, consistently full server, and you're good to go. Heck, if you get the 3rd party server patch, there's still PLENTY of community for vanilla Starsiege Tribes games, and those break 64 players in a server! A local regular player base of less than 1000 is usually plenty to play consistently and smoothly on.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
doomed1 said:
He's talking about the PC version. Those games never seem to die. All you need is a local, consistently full server, and you're good to go. Heck, if you get the 3rd party server patch, there's still PLENTY of community for vanilla Starsiege Tribes games, and those break 64 players in a server! A local regular player base of less than 1000 is usually plenty to play consistently and smoothly on.

I like MoH and all, but I wouldn't put it on tribes level.

I just don't see MUCH of a reason to keep on MoH after CoD comes out. For those who want realistic shooters, vehicle combat, or twitch game play there are better alternatives.

MoH doesn't really deliver "better" than anyone else in the multi department.

Top Bottom