• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor 2010 |OT| OPERATORS OPERATING in OPERATIONS

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
panda21 said:
oh were you in afghanistan?

thats another thing that struck me i just remembered.. the door kicking. like every 5 minutes someone is kicking a door :lol its like super door kicker HD. i think there must be the most door kicks per hour of any game ever.

edit:
oh and the ending.. it just made me sad thinking about what actually happened in the game and the people who died.. and for what? the special forces were basically just getting in fights on purpose to try and draw them out and kill as many as they could. but it just seemed so pointless considering how brave they were being just to kill a bunch of taliban, rather than some tangible objective. obviously thats how it really is but its quite a contrast with most games like this. hell even operation flashpoint had some big fancy objective at the end.

Iraq, both in 2003, and again for the surge in 2006. 2nd ID 3rd Stryker Brigade (numerical, we were actually the very first stryker brigade), I was private the first time, and a fire team leader (infantry sergeant) the second tour.

My first tour we kicked in a lot, and I mean A LOT of doors, the second time, during the surge unless it was a hard assault, we did a lot more knocking than kicking in/blowing down doors.

The second tour was actually a lot more violent than the first.

REV 09

dustin said:
I'm about an hour into the campaign, and I have no idea why this game exists. I know I've only played an hour of it, but seeing as how it's a four hour game, am I safe to say that this is a slower Call of Duty? It's the same game right down to the default controls, slow motion door breaching, and badass scripted NPC melee kills. It's not a bad game, glitchy yes, but not bad. Not great either, it's just so ehhhh. Nothing about it stands out as of yet. With Black Ops coming out in a month and Reach already released, why the hell does this game exist? It's a decent appetizer for CoD, but other than that I don't know why this game was rebooted. It's MW but slower. So far at least. Does it get better gaf?
It comes into its own as you get further in. I thought the 2nd mission was the worst and probably the most like CoD.

-Amon-

REV 09 said:
If this game had more polish and content then it could be a very viable substitute to CoD. The core mechanics, at least in the campaign are quite good...the shooting and sound effects feel right and I really like how it feels when you take a bullet. Thematically, the game strikes a great balance between being grounded and fun. I also liked the setting a lot. The way enemies move about the hills and terrain makes it feel different from other modern shooters. It just needed to be longer, have some type of co-op, and have more mp maps. It's a good start to rebooting the franchise. Hopefully they stick with it.

Just finished first campaign run, and have to fully agree on this. I'll go further and say than even like it is right now the single player for me is better than the recent cod's. There are a couple of things a little too much over the top, but i've liked the sp a lot, much more then i expected.

Multiplayer looks fun, but it's really too soon to say something definitive about it.

Unexpected, considering what i've read before purchase in reviews and on gaf about moh.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
-Amon- said:
Just finished first campaign run, and have to fully agree on this. I'll go further and say than even like it is right now the single player for me is better than the recent cod's. There are a couple of things a little too much over the top, but i've liked the sp a lot, much more then i expected.

Multiplayer looks fun, but it's really too soon to say something definitive about it.

Unexpected, considering what i've read before purchase in reviews and on gaf about moh.

Multiplayer is a "get in your corner and camp or get spawn killed by snipers" affair. At first it wasn't so bad because you could just toss smoke, but now that everyone is learning the maps, you get wasted almost instantly, sometimes exactly instantly.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Point streak rewards are really destabilizing if you pick all the team buffs. Getting an 800+ pointstreak quickly really sets the other team back and allows for some really hard spawn camping. I guess every sniper ever that goes 5 and 1 always chooses airstrikes? I rarely get buffed from teammates.

acevans2

You guys who are complaining about the visuals (in the campaign) are baffling me. I am consistently enjoying the visuals, and have no problems with the framerate either. The environments are downright beautiful at times, and the lighting is definitely a strong point.

Also, even if the campaign is using a lot of the same tropes that MW2 did, I think MoH does them better in some instances. Danger Close definitely made me a fan.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alienshogun said:
Multiplayer is a "get in your corner and camp or get spawn killed by snipers" affair. At first it wasn't so bad because you could just toss smoke, but now that everyone is learning the maps, you get wasted almost instantly, sometimes exactly instantly.
Well part of anti-camping is learning where the camping spots are and focusfiring on them, being able to move around their firing line, and pressing through. A good tactic to use on objective modes is to use the IFV for artillery and suppressing fire against snipers and other campers. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there sure as hell is more than one way to press the line. Spawn killing is definitely a problem I think, and there should be improved spawns or an invisible screen that stops bullets if it's that much of an issue. But DICE is pretty damned good at balancing things out in terms of game balance and the like.

If your problem is snipers and campers, flush 'em out. I'd come and give you a hand if I was on consoles, but alas, I'm a PC player, and I'm PAINFULLY CHAFFING without my motherboard. x|

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
doomed1 said:
Well part of anti-camping is learning where the camping spots are and focusfiring on them, being able to move around their firing line, and pressing through. A good tactic to use on objective modes is to use the IFV for artillery and suppressing fire against snipers and other campers. There's more than one way to skin a cat, and there sure as hell is more than one way to press the line. Spawn killing is definitely a problem I think, and there should be improved spawns or an invisible screen that stops bullets if it's that much of an issue. But DICE is pretty damned good at balancing things out in terms of game balance and the like.

If your problem is snipers and campers, flush 'em out. I'd come and give you a hand if I was on consoles, but alas, I'm a PC player, and I'm PAINFULLY CHAFFING without my motherboard. x|

That's all good in theory, except like I said, when you get a bullet through your head on spawn.

More often than not, there are snipers watching main avenues of approach, and assault/spec ops camping corners. You can't really flush them out when your team has been pushed back to your original spawn, and they have you backed into a corner. 1 person will not dislodge an entire team. It's not that I need a hand, I'm good at FPS, especially military FPS, it's a flaw in the game/map design, and it's more of a frustration than it's worth.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Alienshogun said:
That's all good in theory, except like I said, when you get a bullet through your head on spawn.

More often than not, there are snipers watching main avenues of approach, and assault/spec ops camping corners. You can't really flush them out when your team has been pushed back to your original spawn, and they have you backed into a corner. 1 person will not dislodge an entire team. It's not that I need a hand, I'm good at FPS, especially military FPS, it's a flaw in the game/map design, and it's more of a frustration than it's worth.
No, one person will NOT dislodge an entire team. An entire team will. That's why you try to work together. That what you're having trouble with, getting people to work as a team?

Alienshogun said:

You're referring mainly to the team deathmatch mode right? Honestly, any shooter that has kills in 4 or 5 bullets has crap deathmatch IMO. This and COD just degenerate into who can camp the hardest. In the objective games, the aggressive team wins. Although I guess usually that means the aggressive team pushes up and holds position...all around the opposing spawn. I guess it depends what you mean by camping. Spawn camping is a problem sure, but it's the same as COD where domination really means cap 2 flags and know how to spawn trap. If your team doesn't know how to use smoke grenades it is a major problem, but getting spawn sniped is pretty crappy for sure. I have no idea why with pretty much fixed spawns, DICE couldn't figure out how to make you spawn behind cover.

I'm really liking this game though. Gunplay is arcady, the killing streaks aren't too annoying, and I always just go for the defensive ones because they give you enough points to make the next one easy. It's like, kill one guy, cap a point, uav. It feels pretty bare bones though, hopefully there is enough of a basis that they can really concentrate on polishing and filling it out over a 2 year cycle or something.

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
doomed1 said:
No, one person will NOT dislodge an entire team. An entire team will. That's why you try to work together. That what you're having trouble with, getting people to work as a team?

You only took away a piece of what I said, I've already explained it enough. I'm more or less done with this game anyway, I'll stick to Reach and Blackops.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I really think the campaign is quite good. It's got the pace of something a bit slower with the arcadey controls of CoD. It is more open, but still feels very tight and directed without feeling so scripted. The difference, I think, is that they really don't have that military bravado that the fetishists like so much...the "epic music" and "epic story" are not there. It's really not there at all. It's almost too grounded to have that kind of mass appeal.

But it's really very enjoyable. The daylight levels are also kind of good looking. I think any CoD fan should enjoy the SP. The weapons feel good, the enemies go down quickly, the controls are nice and responsive (though not as responsive...), there's considerable variety in the gameplay scenarios, and the graphics are nice. I see a lot of visual glitchery though.

REV 09

I went back and played the demos of World at War and MW2 for comparison (traded both in), and I'm amazed at how much better MoH looks visually than the CoD titles. They're obviously smooth as butter though and have better animations and scripting, but I would give MoH the edge in visuals, sound effects, and probably AI....though neither game has good AI.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Y2Kev said:
It is more open, but still feels very tight and directed without feeling so scripted.
What. I don't understand. One of the campaigns biggest flaws in my opinion has been how horrible the scripting is. They do a really poor job of hiding it.

Also, nothing is more jarring that watching your buddies walk through each other consistently.

Y2Kev

Stallion Free said:
What. I don't understand. One of the campaigns biggest flaws in my opinion has been how horrible the scripting is. They do a really poor job of hiding it.

I think, for this type of game (the scripted shooter), the game does a better job of hiding scripts than CoD does. I haven't seen anything like the Favela or TV station levels yet where the same enemies pop up in the same places and do the exact same thing every time. On top of that, the game's relatively easy difficulty means I'm seeing the same scripts running much less frequently.

Obviously all the major encounters are scripted, but the environments feel a bit more open. They aren't really-- it's not Halo-- but I feel like there is often more room to move around.

I don't really want to comment on the multiplayer (because I have not and will not try it), but I don't think the single player is bad. It's pretty good, actually.

REV 09

Stallion Free said:

Also, nothing is more jarring that watching your buddies walk through each other consistently.
The scripting isn't as smooth as CoD, but scripting is like 90% of CoD. MoH doesn't rely on scripted sequences nearly as much. the core combat is more visceral than CoD.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Yeah, I don't think I played the same game as you guys. The game has markedly improved after the first couple levels, but it hasn't felt any more open then your standard linear shooter (most levels had you running literally through canyons) and I do consistently see enemies pop up in the exact same place every time. The segment of the level that has you working towards that bunker so your buddy can pop a smoke on it to mark it, holy shit that was poor scripting.

I have nothing against scripting in games, but I have seen vastly superior scripting to this.

ok... i'm in a helicopter...

i have to shoot out a mortar.... which i keep bombing the fuck out of and they game keeps telling me i failed?

Is my game suffering from a bug? I must've tried 20 times and every time i hellfire the crap out of the targetted area and every time i fail?

did i miss something?

NinjaFusion said:

i have to shoot out a mortar.... which i keep bombing the fuck out of and they game keeps telling me i failed?

Is my game suffering from a bug? I must've tried 20 times and every time i hellfire the crap out of the targetted area and every time i fail?

did i miss something?

Hold L2 or left trigger until you get a lock on. Let go. Boom.

squicken

I finished up the very brief SP player today. Definitely a rental. I don't play MP, so I can't comment on that. I thought it was fun. Not as good as CoD but fun.

I thought the visuals were very ugly in places. It reminded me alot of the visuals from Airborne. Some smeary textures and LoD glitches on even the weapon models. Down the line I may get the PC version, but for a 4 hour campaign, I wasn't going to pay full price.

i actually hate this game now.

Wish i'd have stuck with my plan and rented it.

there's not a single area that's up top the standard set by other shooters. BFBC2 and MW2 both shit on this from huge heights.

this is almost like the bad old EA - hyping substandard product to the rafters just to be seen to be with the big boys.

Mad_Ban

Finished the campaign last night and really enjoyed it. The game definitely starts off badly then builds up as it got much better after the
dusty trench
mission. Don't really have much thoughts other than I much preferred it to CoD simple because of how it wasn't OTT in its setpieces. However some parts were just obvious MW ripoffs (ATV-Snowmobile and the sniper section).

Tried MP before I went to bed and it feels like a carbon copy of BC2, albeit with some weird smudge filter (PS3 version here). Understandable given it's being done by DICE and I'm not complaining, but they could have tried to differentiate it somehow.

Enosh

NinjaFusion said:

did i miss something?
hydra rockets=/=hellfires

target the white box and press the button you used at the begining to fire the hellfire at the mortars, it's 4 on the pc no idea for the consoles

Psykotik

NinjaFusion said:

did i miss something?

there's two of them. one out in the open, and another relatively hidden next to the pickup truck.

hellfire the hell out of both of them quick otherwise you will get shot down.

Why does my PC fail to run this?

5850, 4GB RAM, Phenom 955BE, W7 64bit.

With everything on high and v-sync enabled at 2048x1152 I get 50-60fps, but then randomly it drops to fucking 10-15fps. It's not even during heavy firefights or anything. Just randomly happens.

I could run Metro 2033 better than this. :lol It doesn't even look great so what's happening? Anyone else had this? Not going to play it like that because I should be getting a rock solid 60 at all times.

panda21

Foliorum Viridum said:

With everything on high and v-sync enabled at 2048x1152 I get 50-60fps, but then randomly it drops to fucking 10-15fps. It's not even during heavy firefights or anything. Just randomly happens.

I could run Metro 2033 better than this. :lol It doesn't even look great so what's happening? Anyone else had this? Not going to play it like that because I should be getting a rock solid 60 at all times.

thats weird. i was surprised at how well my PC runs it but i only did it in 1280x800 with everything on high.

maybe turn off the vsync and try a lower resolution or something?

I lowered resolution to 1650x1050 but had the exact same problem.

I was running Crysis at Very High at that resolution with 4xAA and getting 30fps+, so I'm thinking this game is coded like shit.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
NinjaFusion said:

did i miss something?

You are prob. doing what I did and are hitting the area with the R1 or R2 weapon (I forget which, and I'm on a PS3 for this game). I was like, "What am I doing wrong?!?' cause I kept hitting the area with missiles/explosions and the game would not register a hit (even tho I was causing explosions to go off everywhere).

I had forgotten there was the left side missile (the charge ups) which I guess is what the game demands you use. Once I remembered that, got it in one try.

Agree with the 8/10's I'm seeing on here. Best MOH- hands down- since Ungerground and one of my fave SP war FPS ever. Was digging MP the first day/second day but now everyone is so ranked up that my deaths don't feel fair (i.e. a result of me playing poorly) but instead simply feel like the result of me being out ranked by the enemy (I'm level 3 getting insta killed by level 11s with much more powerful weapons). So I'm thinking my MP MOH days are over. Loved the SP tho. Hell, loved what I played of the MP actually the first few days. And clearly- if you look at sales of games like MW2- the vast majority of players don't seem to have an issue with that whole 'level 1 up against a level 20' discrepancy. So it's prob. just me.

David

Foliorum Viridum said:

Exactly the same setup here. The only time it drops for me is when there's dust or smoke in the air.

-Amon-

Alienshogun said:

I always wonder how is it possible to make definitive judgments like these when the top players in the rankings are a 48 hours played online.

It's really too soon imo.

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
davidjaffe said:
You are prob. doing what I did and are hitting the area with the R1 or R2 weapon (I forget which, and I'm on a PS3 for this game). I was like, "What am I doing wrong?!?' cause I kept hitting the area with missiles/explosions and the game would not register a hit (even tho I was causing explosions to go off everywhere).

I had forgotten there was the left side missile (the charge ups) which I guess is what the game demands you use. Once I remembered that, got it in one try.

Agree with the 8/10's I'm seeing on here. Best MOH- hands down- since Ungerground and one of my fave SP war FPS ever. Was digging MP the first day/second day but now everyone is so ranked up that my deaths don't feel fair (i.e. a result of me playing poorly) but instead simply feel like the result of me being out ranked by the enemy (I'm level 3 getting insta killed by level 11s with much more powerful weapons). So I'm thinking my MP MOH days are over. Loved the SP tho. Hell, loved what I played of the MP actually the first few days. And clearly- if you look at sales of games like MW2- the vast majority of players don't seem to have an issue with that whole 'level 1 up against a level 20' discrepancy. So it's prob. just me.

David

Not that I did find you awesome earlier, but having Kate beckinsale's pic as avatar made you even more awesome (sorry I did not see it earlier cause I've blocked images in my firefox. Only loaded your avatar out of curiosity).

Y2Kev

I have really enjoyed missions 3-5. But the story is kind of annoying. Like I am uncomfortable with the blatant and obvious player manipulation with the
stupid suit in Washington
symbolism. Well not even symbolism. It's kind of explicit.

I think the game has gotten really pretty. I like the sun coming up over the mountains and the snow.

Y2Kev

omg they totally flubbed their dramatic
we're out of ammo, we're dead, oh god
scene when i had 800 bullets :lol

Y2Kev

Alienshogun said:
Yeah, kinda wrecks your suspension of disbelief eh? :lol
Yeah. Oh well.

I am really enjoying this game. I feel very bizarre saying it! But the missions are a lot of fun, very varied, and I like the actual team! They are all cool. And Beardguy keeps calling me D :lol

Brolic Gaoler

formerly Alienshogun
Y2Kev said:
Yeah. Oh well.

I am really enjoying this game. I feel very bizarre saying it! But the missions are a lot of fun, very varied, and I like the actual team! They are all cool. And Beardguy keeps calling me D :lol

Yeah, I loved the single player, even though it was short.

DF is up: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-medal-of-honor-face-off?page=1

360 has slightly better performance in sp and mp, also some higher res textures in sp. Dithering problems from BC2 still present in reduced form (360).

Also:

In the final analysis, it seems that the only real winner here is Call of Duty: Black Ops. With Treyarch's epic-looking title just weeks away, and MOH not reviewing as well as EA might have hoped, it's not too much of a stretch to imagine that much of the target audience will be keeping their wallets sealed in preparation.

How does that shit belong into a tech comparison? :lol

squicken

He always includes a bit of editorializing on overall quality in every Face Off.

They didn't do themselves any favors starting with a night mission. It just looked so ugly. I loved the Rangers' mission and the whole last stand thing.
CoD actually helped this, as I was expecting to have a character death. When the helicopters showed up I felt legitimately relieved and happy I had been saved

Massa

Y2Kev said:
Yeah. Oh well.

Would you feel less bizarre if I told you David Jaffe also enjoyed it?

The game has heart. The SP feels more immersive to me than a game like MW2. I think it's clear MW2 has MOH beat to hell and back in production value and sheer 'wow' factor, but MOH almost feels like I'm on an adventure with these three other soldiers...kind of more like playing a war story where as most other FPS war games feel more like I'm living in a war simulation. It's one of the reasons I'm really digging the SP of this game. I don't really know why that is as MW2 DOES have super cool scenario designs where it is just you and a buddy or two (ice pick climbing and such). But for some reason that game- while a fun ass ride- just doesn't feel as immersive. Is it that the scenarios are SO James Bond that it's hard to really feel immersed in the scenarios? Hell, maybe it just comes down to sound fx and music and MOH- I think-has really immersive sound and the music is just great. Makes me feel like I'm in a movie like SPY GAME or GREEN ZONE.

Link

I would recommend reading the entire blog entry, it's short and to the point.

Edit: shit, I missed that he posted on this thread. :lol

Mad_Ban

schennmu said:
How does that shit belong into a tech comparison? :lol
He "used" to be a journo, so I'm guessing it's him trying to prove he can do more than count pixels and shader techniques. I really don't care for his personal opinions though as they don't belong in tech comparisons.

Y2Kev

squicken said:
He always includes a bit of editorializing on overall quality in every Face Off.

They didn't do themselves any favors starting with a night mission. It just looked so ugly. I loved the Rangers' mission and the whole last stand thing.
CoD actually helped this, as I was expecting to have a character death. When the helicopters showed up I felt legitimately relieved and happy I had been saved
I agree! The first mission is the ugliest one. The game gets very pretty.

I beat it and shall send it back to Gamefly. Great SP. Better than CoD just because of no grenade spam.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The game really steps it up visually starting at the Ranger helicopter landing and gets better at better from that point on. The first day light mission at the start is super weak.

Top Bottom