• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Numbers: 2 - 8 Oct

AniHawk

ioi said:
Yesssssss sir!

:lol You make me laugh. You'd already posted the hh stuff on here so forget it.

I'm off to bed cause this conversation, once again, has become lame due to the lack of common sense and intelligence of most of it's participants.

I've endulged in enough mindless conversation for one night.

Enjoy your data everyone!

You are a stupid ****.

Jonnyram

new_all1.gif

The timing is comical really, but allabout.jp has just published an article describing the differences between sales, shipments, and manufactured numbers.
http://allabout.co.jp/game/gamenews/closeup/CU20060528A/index.htm

And yeah, they're happy to entertain a game only selling 80% of its shipments, for some reason. I wonder why that is.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Media create threads from here on out will be ioi free. Ioi can make his own sales threads based on his data if he wants, it's up to you guys if you want to pay attention to them.

If ioi doesnt comply, the forum will be ioi free.

I almost want to say square also, but ill give him a little more leeway.

cvxfreak

sp0rsk said:
Media create threads from here on out will be ioi free. Ioi can make his own sales threads based on his data if he wants, it's up to you guys if you want to pay attention to them.

Holy smokes.

ioi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
GameJapan is a magazine and yeah, I'm aware they had a website. They showed the top 30 data, not top 50, and it was considered total BS by most people interested in sales at that time. Do you actually have a full set of that data, because it seems to me that you're trying to hide the fact that your data is incomplete.

I agree totally... this is one of the fundamental problems with your data. We don't care what the shipment numbers are, we are following Media Create, Media Works and Enterbrain data because we care what games sold. Your following argument is a good basis for some more discussion:

So you have three independent retailers, all tracking less than 6 million, but instead you believe a shipment figure from the publisher themselves. Why is this? What evidence do you have that Nintendo is being 100% honest/accurate about their shipment figures? Especially in the Yamauchi era, there is a possibility of them cooking the books to get tax reductions. Say they added an extra million to their shipment figures - who would be able to disagree, short of an audit, and even then bribery goes a long way in Japan. It's just ludicrous to believe that THREE INDEPENDENT RESEARCHERS were all out by 1.5 million copies, i.e. 20%. But that's the reason your assumptions are wrong, not the reason these threads are so ****ed.

We know Media Create is not the best source, they have their misses and overall Enterbrain is much more favourable, but Media Create is the first glimpse we get at national sales data, so that's what we talk about. You come into a thread about Media Create and start blurting out non-Media Create numbers, and then you wonder why people are yelling at you. Your first post in this thread:

It is way more accurate to use old Famitsu numbers than adjusting numbers by yourself and using them. Why on earth would you adjust a number which is calculated in the same way as the current numbers? If any agency is undertracking on a weekly basis, why would you adjust old figures without adjusting the new figures? Do you think they adjust their own figures when they sell them to clients?

And on top of all this, you keep pimping your ****ing site. We're talking about Media Create numbers in this thread, not ADJUSTED numbers, yet in these first 100 posts alone, there are 12 mentions of your site. We're not talking about your numbers, we're talking about Media Create... WHAT GIVES? Seriously, once and for all, stay out of these threads if you're not willing to discuss the same numbers we are.

Is it worth continuing this debate?

The gamejapan had media create data which it credited to media create every week and is the same data as media create have produced in other forms. It's media create data going back to 99.

The tracking services didn't all agree on Pokemon G/S. Famitsu had 5.6m, Media Create 6.5m and Dengeki 6.2m, vs 7.21m shipped. So now you are starting a conspiracy theory that Nintendo have artificially bumped up all of their shipment numbers? LOL? Hardware too I guess? Yeah right.

I started discussing in this thread because cvxfreak used OLD FAMITSU data to compare with modern day Media Create data. I personally don't care about inter-mixing trackers, but i sarcastically thought it ironic that you'd pick me up if I'd done something like that and yet it's fine in this case. My problem is that older data is definitely NOT calculated the same way as today- their coverage has been going up significantly for a number of years. Famitsu tracking service began much on the scale of COMGNET's when you go back to 89, and even through to 98 they were only just beginning to apply any kind of sophisticated scaling for different games, before then they just produced the raw data from anything from 100th to 1/5 of the stores. Data back then was very ropey and needs to be taken in context when comparing to todays data. That was my point and why I entered the thread, I did not enter to 'pimp' my site, did i?

My original post and the ones that followed have been concerned with MEDIA CREATE numbers and how you cannot compare them directly. The point was based around comparing the performance of D/P and G/s and how you have to be smarter when you do. I think it's totally on-topic and relevant to the media create thread this week. Why start a new thread just to discuss that? SHould we do it over pm / msn? Perhaps, although the idea is that others may join in with something constructive to add, instead of random "shut up" posts- I am just about the only one who comes into these threads to talk about sales numbers (much less often these days you'll notice- why this crap about derailing every MC thread when this is the first time for a couple of months I've actually posted more than a couple of times in a day) i don't know what it is the rest of you want to talk about???

And lets sort this other crap out with Square2005, I've sent him about 1/2 of all my old Famitsu data from 91-95, CESA shipment data, old dengeki data in exchange for the data he's sent me (much of which i have already). His general tone and the way in which he demands me to "scan every copy of famitsu and send it to me now" like i have nothing better to be doing with my time means i have lost patience with him and will now only trade data if he has something juicy to swap. Last time he sent me the same us hardware data i already had and that he'd posted on here a few weeks back so i've told him that i want something else (he has more and we are simply bargaining, ok?)

Why i come off as a bad guy is beyond me.

Jiggy

I have to admit, this thread is pretty awesome even for reasons completely unrelated to Pokemon sales.

Edit: Oh, hey.

cvxfreak said:
This is Jiggy we're talking about here. Pokemon fan to the max. :D
Irony: I think it was this exact post where I said to myself "that's it, I'm importing. Nobody's playing Diamond and Pearl before me." I mean, not that others hadn't said they were importing as well, but just saying it was the last push.
Thanks for being the final link in the chain, BTW. :D

ioi

Banned
Jonnyram said:
new_all1.gif

The timing is comical really, but allabout.jp has just published an article describing the differences between sales, shipments, and manufactured numbers.
http://allabout.co.jp/game/gamenews/closeup/CU20060528A/index.htm

And yeah, they're happy to entertain a game only selling 80% of its shipments, for some reason. I wonder why that is.

Ok well let's get a translation and we can see what they say. I too can entertain SOME games selling 80% of shipments - games which ship a lot first week and don't sell well. Games which are multi-million sellers and constantly have more shipments arriving I can't see it being applicable to. But let's see what they say...

sprsk

ioi said:
Is it worth continuing this debate?

The gamejapan had media create data which it credited to media create every week and is the same data as media create have produced in other forms. It's media create data going back to 99.

The tracking services didn't all agree on Pokemon G/S. Famitsu had 5.6m, Media Create 6.5m and Dengeki 6.2m, vs 7.21m shipped. So now you are starting a conspiracy theory that Nintendo have artificially bumped up all of their shipment numbers? LOL? Hardware too I guess? Yeah right.

I started discussing in this thread because cvxfreak used OLD FAMITSU data to compare with modern day Media Create data. I personally don't care about inter-mixing trackers, but i sarcastically thought it ironic that you'd pick me up if I'd done something like that and yet it's fine in this case. My problem is that older data is definitely NOT calculated the same way as today- their coverage has been going up significantly for a number of years. Famitsu tracking service began much on the scale of COMGNET's when you go back to 89, and even through to 98 they were only just beginning to apply any kind of sophisticated scaling for different games, before then they just produced the raw data from anything from 100th to 1/5 of the stores. Data back then was very ropey and needs to be taken in context when comparing to todays data. That was my point and why I entered the thread, I did not enter it with a link to vgcharts or to 'pimp' my site, did i?

My original post and the ones that followed have been concerned with MEDIA CREATE numbers and how you cannot compare them directly. The point was based around comparing the performance of D/P and G/s and how you have to be smarter when you do. I think it's totally on-topic and relevant to the media create thread this week. Why start a new thread just to discuss that? SHould we do it over pm / msn? Perhaps, although the idea is that others may join in with something constructive to add, instead of random "shut up" posts- I am just about the only one who comes into these threads to talk about sales numbers (much less often these days you'll notice- why this crap about derailing every MC thread when this is the first time for a couple of months I've actually posted more than a couple of times in a day) i don't know what it is the rest of you want to talk about???

And lets sort this other crap out with Square2005, I've sent him about 1/2 of all my old Famitsu data from 91-95, CESA shipment data, old dengeki data in exchange for the data he's sent me (much of which i have already). His general tone and the way in which he demands me to "scan every copy of famitsu and send it to me now" like i have nothing better to be doing with my time means i have lost patience with him and will now only trade data if he has something juicy to swap. Last time he sent me the same us hardware data i already had and that he'd posted on here a few weeks back so i've told him that i want something else (he has more and we are simply bargaining, ok?)

Why i come off as a bad guy is beyond me.

pssst

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
The gods have spoken!

Begone!

Chris Michael said:
Can someone explain to me why all the ioi hate? Does he give false numbers or something?
It's more to the point where a lot of the data that he has used in his site is shipment data from publishers themselves at times, and we all know how reliable they are at times.

MC threads are all about sold, not shipped. Anyone can find shipped numbers, but why bother when you can learn the cold hard facts through sold data.

ioi

Banned
speedpop said:
The gods have spoken!

Begone!

It's more to the point where a lot of the data that he has used in his site is shipment data from publishers themselves at times, and we all know how reliable they are at times.

MC threads are all about sold, not shipped. Anyone can find shipped numbers, but why bother when you can learn the cold hard facts through sold data.

slaps head

the problem comes with the accuracy of said sell-through data. Which is something like ~99% today, but ~50% ten years ago for certain games and platforms and even worse the further back you go.

It's as simple as that. I don't get what is so hard to get. If sell-through and shipped are so different why do most games today sell through about the same amount they ship? Because the sell through numbers have become more accurate maybe?!?!

E.g:

Shipments ending Jun 06 - 9.24m (2.72m DSL)
Media Create 2 Jul - 9.19m (2.64m DSL)

Almost perfect, DS sold out- a very pure indication of how close they are.

Go back 10 years and you have Famitsu / MC saying N64 did ~3m compared to 5.5m shipped, same story with game sales.

And yet you're saying that the tracking services are right and Nintendo were making up their shipment data? But now suddenly they're not anymore? :lol

Hmmmm. Why is it so hard to see the light? I can't believe I still need to explain this shit to people...

sprsk

sp0rsk said:

Ioi, one last warning!

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Umm umm... How about those Pokemon? And it looks like Tamagotchi 2's legs have started falling off. And is the cartridge shortage a fact? Or speculation?

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
If sell-through and shipped are so different why do most games today sell through about the same amount they ship?

... what?! i like using the DS though as an example - the most universally sold out piece of kit EVER! who'd have thunk the numbers would be so close on that one!

Er...what a nice media-create thread....

I clearly seeing a pattern in DS sales, newest grand hits stay in >100k, then go 50k to stay with the last brain training while old brain trainings go to 20k. Outside Nintendo, hits start very high and then joins the 50k for little time and finally go to the 20k range where they stay forever.

Thats the receipt for a DS top 20 out of 30.

Now, on a more serious note, I don't like the drop Minna no Tennis had. Damn those earlier reports, had my hopes up! :/

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
DS has is going to have so many million sellers by the end of 2006. What is the record for million sellers at this stage of a console's life?

polg said:
I don't think there are enough stop posting gifs to express how annoying this "ioi vs square2005 vs theworld" thing is...

indeed

enishi

GreenGlowingGoo said:
Umm umm... How about those Pokemon? And it looks like Tamagotchi 2's legs have started falling off. And is the cartridge shortage a fact? Or speculation?

Tamagochi 1 had similar sales pattern.
It sold quite well at launch (150k first week on Sept 05); constantly dropped to bottom of top 20 around start of Nov; got an essential boost during the Christmas time which helped it pass through 1m.

jesusraz

cvxfreak said:
October stuff:

Gyakuten Saiban 2 (I think this will be big at the discounted price)
Tales of the Tempest
Lode Runner (DS)
Final Fantasy V Advance (which is #1 on Amazon right now)
Bleach Blade Battles
Piposaru Academia 2
Tenchi no Mon 2
Ace Combat X
Shinobido Homura

FFV is No.1 on Amazon? Ooh, could it be because it's being advertised as 'playable on DS Lite', by any chance, similar to Rhythm Tengoku?

I am gonna go and say that all games are in shortage. No, I am not in Japan, but from hardware sales it is easy to deduce that there are shortages in games. Hell if they are running out of plastic for cases in Europe, then there's likely (feasable) to be a shortage in games.

I bet if there were enough NSMB would still be hitting 70-100k a week, Animal Crossing would be on around 40k+ and Pokebomb well if Nintendo can supply then this game will hit 4mill in Japan alone. In hindsight maybe they should have kept Europe and NA in the dark a little longer. They should have kept DSL NSMB and Pokemon till November. In the end I guess it makes no difference, everything manufactured is sold anyway.

jesusraz said:
FFV is No.1 on Amazon? Ooh, could it be because it's being advertised as 'playable on DS Lite', by any chance, similar to Rhythm Tengoku?

Heh, probably. It makes sense to market new GBA games as - essentially - DS titles as I'd imagine the growing userbase and high profile of the system will ensure that GBA titles will perform better on it than on their native system.

the thoroughbred said:
I am gonna go and say that all games are in shortage. No, I am not in Japan, but from hardware sales it is easy to deduce that there are shortages in games. Hell if they are running out of plastic for cases in Europe, then there's likely (feasable) to be a shortage in games.

I bet if there were enough NSMB would still be hitting 70-100k a week, Animal Crossing would be on around 40k+ and Pokebomb well if Nintendo can supply then this game will hit 4mill in Japan alone. In hindsight maybe they should have kept Europe and NA in the dark a little longer. They should have kept DSL NSMB and Pokemon till November. In the end I guess it makes no difference, everything manufactured is sold anyway.

the thing to keep in mind, too, is that even if there aren't explicit shortages of games across the country, all of these big DS games are popular enough that they could easily sell out of any one store at any time. So, even if there are 5-10k more NSMB, or FFIII, or Pokemans shipped each week than sold - if these "extras" don't line up in the stores with the people who are looking to buy them at a specific point in time, you could still consider shortages present.

I don't think anyone would deny that this is occuring on a daily basis in Japan right now.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
jesusraz said:
In the TV ad it is showen playing on a DS lite.., so yes.

jesusraz

KimiSan said:
In the TV ad it is showen playing on a DS lite.., so yes.

Yup, I've seen the ad. I just wondered if it was being shipped out in larger boxes to look like a DS game, just like Nintendo has been doing with RT... :)

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
enishi said:
Tamagochi 1 had similar sales pattern.
It sold quite well at launch (150k first week on Sept 05); constantly dropped to bottom of top 20 around start of Nov; got an essential boost during the Christmas time which helped it pass through 1m.

Yes it did, but because it launched in September, it had legs enough to last to xmas which gave it a really big boost. Tamagotchi 2 will be too fargone by xmas to get a boost. They shoulda waited till october or November. Made it one of the big holiday releases.

sp0rsk said:
Ioi, one last warning!

I'm interested in his commetns on how titles may sell and such though, it's always cool to have discussions on the numbers at hand.

don't BAN him from the threads, just set some restrictions

At least that's what I think

the thoroughbred said:

I agree. I wanted more OUTSTANDING NSMB numbers for months to come (it had been doing like 400k a month till the shortages *glares at Final Fantasy III*)

But what do you mean Pokemn will hit 4 mill in Japan alone? It was guranteed 5 million from the getgo

to cvxfreak, Lttp or donny

Do you guys have LTDs of the DS/PSP 11-30 games of Media Create? Magic Box hasn't been updating frequently and I'd like to get a little more data for TEVS.

Also, do you guys haev any other interesting game data (I don't know, percentages, retail costs?) that would be useful to put in TEVS?

Meier

Shame about how these threads have turned out. :\ So much bickering now.. I never even come back to them to find out the hw numbers.

Akia

LanceStern said:
I'm interested in his commetns on how titles may sell and such though, it's always cool to have discussions on the numbers at hand.

don't BAN him from the threads, just set some restrictions

At least that's what I think

Just PM him then.

donny2112

LanceStern said:
to cvxfreak, Lttp or donny

Do you guys have LTDs of the DS/PSP 11-30 games of Media Create?

I only specifically keep track of a few Japanese DS titles. Sorry. Also, not to slight cvxfreak or Link to the Past, but I consider Dalthien to be the go-to guy for Japanese PSP and NDS software sales. If you need something right now, though, your best bet is probably to just use last week's Famitsu's Top 30 sales.

ethelred

donny2112 said:
I only specifically keep track of a few Japanese DS titles. Sorry. Also, not to slight cvxfreak or Link to the Past, but I consider Dalthien to be the go-to guy for Japanese PSP and NDS software sales. If you need something right now, though, your best bet is probably to just use last week's Famitsu's Top 30 sales.

Speaking of which, why is it the top 30 never gots posted anymore? We used to regularly get threads created for that -- at the least, it'd be nice to see it provided in this thread.

(This isn't directed at you, donny, I'm just springboarding off your remarks into a general point.)

Jokeropia

:lol at the usual Sony suspects in the beginning of this thread trying to downplay a 470k second week, during a period of shortages no less.

donny2112

ethelred said:
Speaking of which, why is it the top 30 never gots posted anymore? We used to regularly get threads created for that

I don't recall separate threads for it, but I've only been here for a couple of years. If you need some old data from Famitsu's Top 30, I think Rocked keeps up on that. Dalthien probably does, too.

Here's the link for 9/18-24's Famitsu numbers.

ethelred

donny2112 said:
I don't recall separate threads for it, but I've only been here for a couple of years. If you need some old data from Famitsu's Top 30, I think Rocked keeps up on that. Dalthien probably does, too.

Here's the link for 9/18-24's Famitsu numbers.

Yeah, I know it's been posted a few times of late, but not consistently. CVX used to always create threads with the translated list.

donny2112

Here's my
poor
take on translating that. Any correct translations can be credited to Babelfish/Google/medrew. Any wrong ones are me. :)

Famitsu Sept 18-24

1. PS2 Minna no Tennis 92016 / 302408
2. NDS Final Fantasy III 58739 / 731690
3. NDS New Super Mario Bros. 58739 / 3099175
4. NDS Brain Training 2 32846 / 3229770
5. NDS Gintama DS: Banji Ousoudou! 26642 / NEW
6. PS2 Rurouni Kenshin: Enjou! Kyoto Rinne 21467 / 94461
7. NDS Animal Crossing: Wild World 20447 / 3219324
8. NDS Tingle RPG 20195 / 116168
9. NDS Cooking Navi 19821 / 505027
10. PS2 Harukanaru Toki no Naka De Maihitoyo 19085 / NEW
11. PS2 Chaos Wars 18928 / NEW
12. NDS Brain Age SEGA 17648 / 44189
13. NDS Tamagotchi 2 15758 / 503888
14. GBA Rhythm Tengoku 15060 / 158819
15. NDS Brain Training 14258 / 2758225
16. NDS English Training 13250 / 1332905
17. NDS Mario Hoops 3-on-3 12829 / 308731
18. PS2 God Hand 12555 / 41244
19. PSP Ridge Racer 2 10794 / 39352
20. NDS Mario Kart DS 10069 / 1566849
21. NDS Tetris DS 9612 / 842293
22. PS2 Ryu-Koku 8229 / NEW
23. PSP Metal Gear Solid Comic Book 7926 / NEW
24. PSP Valhalla Knights 7791 / 43465
25. PSP Tales of Phantasia Full Voice Edition 7349 / 43465
26. PSP [baunteihaunzu] (?) (Bandai-Namco) 6701 / NEW
27. PS2 Minna no Golf 4 (BEST) 6644 / 149819
28. PS2 Phantasy Star Universe (?) 6606 / 172392
29. NDS Rune Factory 6120 / 82997
30. PSP 太鼓の達人 ぽ~たぶる2 (drum game 2?) (Bandai-Namco) 6043 / 28466

Rock_Man

Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 1st week sales
Media create - 1,588,734
Famitsu - 1,586,360

They really are accurate nowadays. :)

EDIT:
Zaidan Houjin Nihon Kanji Nouryoku Kentei Kyoukai Kounin Kanken DS (Rocket Company) 1 st week sales
Media Create - 45,292
Famitsu - 67,153
:(

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
See guys, you made poor donny translate all that oriental-nonsense language :/

I'm not sure how to take that
or even if it was directed at me
. "Poor" was in reference to my abilities to translate and not an attempt to generate sympathy, and I don't consider Japanese "that oriental-nonsense language." I'm sorry if I took what you said wrong.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

D'oh!

donny2112 said:
I'm not sure how to take that
or even if it was directed at me
. "Poor" was in reference to my abilities to translate and not an attempt to generate sympathy, and I don't consider Japanese "that oriental-nonsense language." I'm sorry if I took what you said wrong.
It was a joke, how did you take that so seriously? Now I feel bad :lol

The oriental-nonsense goes for the pain in the ass that is to copy the famitsu chart and see you can't format it for the forum so you have to write the entire chart and the kanji/katakana names that you have to look on google to see the english name and such...isn't it? :)

donny2112

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
It was a joke, how did you take that so seriously? Now I feel bad :lol

Like I said, I wasnt sure how to take it. Personally speaking, a ;) or :p would have made it clearer that it was a joke than :/ . No problems, though. :)

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
The oriental-nonsense goes for the pain in the ass that is to copy the famitsu chart and see you can't format it for the forum so you have to write the entire chart and the kanji/katakana names that you have to look on google to see the english name and such...isn't it? :)

It was mostly taking care of by 1) Babelfish, 2) medrew's 11-30 Media-Create translation for the same week, and, for a few of the lower ranked ones, 3) Google. Translating the top 30 is one circumstance where the same DS games appearing again and again is quite helpful. ;)

Top Bottom