• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 02/23 - 03/02

Linkup

t3nmilez said:
Eh, bragging rights that look good either way. Namco sure got plenty of positive press about Vesperia and they seem pretty happy with how things turned out.

Although, I think that every single post you've written the past few weeks in these threads are for the purpose of downplaying SO's launch. Do you have some obsession with this game failing or something?

It failed as a Star Ocean game, it failed as a JRPG, and it failed as a game. It failed.

Paracelsus

t3nmilez said:
Eh, bragging rights that look good either way. Namco sure got plenty of positive press about Vesperia and they seem pretty happy with how things turned out.

Being happy about making a good game has nothing to do with sales. On the contrary, if you make a very good game, you hope it sells well. Whatever they said, they cannot really be happy with how things turned out. It's not even an outsourced title, it's from their main team.

Maybe it might make around 400,000 worldwide if that.

Nah, probably same as Lost Odyssey, 700k shipped ww? It all depends on how bad has been their choice of putting the EU release in June. At this point, August would have been a smarter pick.

I remember the supposedly leaked document that claimed that if SO4 did not meet sales expectations of 1.8m worldwide it would have a PS3 port. I'm purty fucken sure it won't reach that number ever, even with channel stuffing.

That same "leak" said Versus XIII would have become a CG movie, and that if TLR sold properly on 360 they would have scrapped the PS3 version. Just to put things into perspective.

gantz85

Banned
Linkup said:
It failed as a Star Ocean game, it failed as a JRPG, and it failed as a game. It failed.

http://www.tri-ace.co.jp/en/company/sales.html

Star Ocean 2 sold 700,000 copies in Japan and 370,000 copies overseas.

http://www.japan-gamecharts.com/ps2.php

Star Ocean 3 sold 533,000 copies in Japan and 626,000 copies overseas.

Star Ocean 3: Director's Cut sold 164,000 copies in Japan, totalling 700,000 copies with the regular edition in Japan.

Now Star Ocean 4 is poised to do 250,000 copies in Japan at best, and that's a region that was supposed to provide at least half of their total global sales.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
gantz85 said:

Star Ocean 3: Director's Cut sold 164,000 copies in Japan, totalling 700,000 copies with the regular edition in Japan.

Now Star Ocean 4 is poised to do 250,000 copies in Japan at best, and that's a region that was supposed to provide at least half of their total global sales.
The original game, director's cut, and ultimate hits did about 700k. It's like 533k + 146 + 30k.

The most recent SO sales are the PSP ports of the games. The first port sold 204k and the second one is about where SO4 is now.

Linkup

gantz85 said:

Most importantly it's a bad jrpg. The masses have caught on!

Actually, SO3 wasn't all bad.

gantz85

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Eh, you're getting it a bit wrong. Orochi Z is Orochi 1+2, neither PS2 nor PSP nor 360 are going to get it because they already got it. This is the 4th system getting the same two games, just repackaged together at 7500Y.

It'll probably do better than 360 releases but its a lazy, late, and expensive port.

Didn't I already mention everything you said in my post? Anyways:

(1) It's a port that will probably outsell 360 version's LTD sales by tenfolds.

(2) Having served up the same content to users has NEVER prevented Bandai Namco from serving the same shit up to users again, but with additional content. See Dynasty Warriors, Extreme Legends editions, Empires editions, and so forth. Bandai Namco is not putting it on 360 because it was BOMBA (and that's not an exaggeration at 6,000 units LTD).

Y2Kev said:
The original game, director's cut, and ultimate hits did about 700k. It's like 533k + 146 + 30k.

The most recent SO sales are the PSP ports of the games. The first port sold 204k and the second one is about where SO4 is now.

SO4 on PSP!

cvxfreak

360 exclusives doing respectable numbers for that platform but low for series standards reminds me of REmake (Zero sold around what most REs did last gen; RE4 was sabotaged).

Great numbers for the 360, but low compared to their potential.

t3nmilez

I'm not saying the game sales are anything spectacular, but I would assume SE would be aware of the potential sales and have adjusted for them (unless they really expect it to be huge in the west). I just think it's kind of ignorant to say it had "no impact", where it did make an impact in the J360 market, as minor as you may think it is. You have to look at it as more than just sales numbers.

gantz85 said:
(2) Having served up the same content to users has NEVER prevented Bandai Namco from serving the same shit up to users again, but with additional content. See Dynasty Warriors, Extreme Legends editions, Empires editions, and so forth. Bandai Namco is not putting it on 360 because it was BOMBA (and that's not an exaggeration at 6,000 units LTD).

Faulty logic. I'm pretty sure Koei is releasing Empires on 360, and what do you say about the PS3 not getting the original Orochi games then?

gantz85

Banned
Linkup said:
Most importantly it's a bad jrpg. The masses have caught on!

Actually, SO3 wasn't all bad.

SO4 would sell at least double the 360 LTD in Japan on the PS3.

cvxfreak said:
360 exclusives doing respectable numbers for that platform but low for series standards reminds me of REmake (Zero sold around what most REs did last gen; RE4 was sabotaged).

Great numbers for the 360, but low compared to their potential.

Right, like how RE4 was supposed to be Gamecube only, and the head-cutting never occured. The 360 numbers ARE respectable, but the prospect of low sales for a franchise entry was what scared the shitpants out of Squeenix to push FFXIII to go multiplatform.

Arguably FFXIII is a bigger deal, and a lower installedbase could see underperformance result in millions of potentially unsold copies (perhaps 1 million in Japan tops). Games like Last Remnant, Star Ocean, Tales of Vesperia and Infinite Undiscovery; if they underperform the potential unsold copies range from hundreds of thousands to maximum a million worldwide (hundreds of thousands in Japan tops).

Still, don't see why PS3 should be deprived of these great titles. I would love to see Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant on the PS3. I'd certainly buy them.

Pachael

So essentially we want SO4, Vesperia and Last Remnant on the PS3?

If all the arguments in that direction (FOR: putting games on PS3) are correct, then future iterations of the franchises will be multiplatform with the originals potentially getting ports (like Lost Planet) down the line.

I believe the Lost Planet and Dead Rising sequels are multiplatform.

Besides, it's not like ports and games take 6 months to make - many of these decisions are made near the start (for development/tool reasons mostly). That's why something like Capcom's multiplatform base is so so so useful.

gantz85

Banned
t3nmilez said:
Faulty logic. I'm pretty sure Koei is releasing Empires on 360, and what do you say about the PS3 not getting the original Orochi games then?

How about the fact that Dynasty Warriors is a far bigger game than Orochi in the international market, and a Japanese release for 360 is nothing more than a byproduct of it being multiplatform as a global title? Really? Do you put any thought into your posts?

You try hard, but the intelligence isn't coming true :lol

As for your second issue, what would YOU say about the PS3 not getting Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant and Ace Combat 6?

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
gantz85 said:
Still, don't see why PS3 should be deprived of these great titles. I would love to see Vesperia, Star Ocean 4 and Last Remnant on the PS3. I'd certainly buy them.

There are a ton of PS3 owners in Japan that would buy them as well.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
neojubei said:
There are a ton of PS3 owners in Japan that would buy them as well.

:lol Nice tag.

I believe TLR is still coming. SE will probably say something about it after the PC release at the end of this month... that seems to be their way with it anyway.

gantz85

Banned
Keikoku said:
:lol :lol :lol mad sonyfans

Taking sides is one thing, solid facts and arguments are another. I don't think what's been said here with regards to sales have been inaccurate.

t3nmilez

gantz85 said:
How about the fact that Dynasty Warriors is a far bigger game than Orochi in the international market, and a Japanese release for 360 is nothing more than a byproduct of it being multiplatform as a global title? Really? Do you put any thought into your posts?

You try hard, but the intelligence isn't coming true :lol

As for your second issue, what would YOU say about the PS3 not getting Tales of Vesperia, Star Ocean 4, The Last Remnant and Ace Combat 6?

As others have theorized, I think that the Namco/SE exclusives are a combination of incentives, early development, the focus of 360 as a lead platform at the time, and other such things which have been stated to death. You can't compare those to the Orochi games anyway since they were multiplatform.

The PS2 has proven itself to still be able to sustain the Musou series, yet there's no PS3 port of Z. I don't know how popular the Dynasty Warriors game are in the west, but I think that it's no secret that lots of 360 titles exist because of the intent to bring overseas. I don't have an answer as to why Z doesn't exist on the 360, as you probably don't for why the original Orochi games were never brought to the PS3.

gantz85

Banned
t3nmilez said:
As others have theorized, I think that the Namco/SE exclusives are a combination of incentives, early development, the focus of 360 as a lead platform at the time, and other such things which have been stated to death. You can't compare those to the Orochi games anyway since they were multiplatform.

The PS2 has proven itself to still be able to sustain the Musou series, yet there's no PS3 port of Z. I don't know how popular the Dynasty Warriors game are in the west, but I think that it's no secret that lots of 360 titles exist because of the intent to bring overseas. I don't have an answer as to why Z doesn't exist on the 360, as you probably don't for why the original Orochi games were never brought to the PS3.

Well, I'm not claiming to KNOW but we're all putting forth theories here based on the data we have. By your standards we can never talk about platform exclusivity for SO4, ToV and Ace Combat because we "don't have an answer".

My data in my original post is clear: Orochi has done 6,000 units each for the two installments they had on the 360. This is a great bomba.

Until you can put forth a better explanation, your hand waving and appeals to underdetermination of data isn't going to cut it.

FrankT

Linkup said:

Not quite we have no idea how the WW sales will turn out before it is all said and done. If it does LO type numbers WW in the end and MS helped with the cost of the development/marketing with exclusivity no I would say otherwise. As far as a game I'm not sure how anyone can even remotely suggest it has failed as a game. The reviews so far have not been A plus then again name a JRPG on the consoles that has this gen, but they have been overall decent. Pretty much that is simply straw man material.

Salty thread is quite salty however.

icecream

Public Health Threat
gantz85 said:
My data in my original post is clear: Orochi has done 6,000 units each for the two installments they had on the 360. This is a great bomba.
It doesn't help that, you know, the PS2 versions released first and gathered the majority of the sales. I'd expect the PS3 version to not fair too well for that exact reason: everyone bought it for the PS2 and the PSP already, long long ago.

gantz85

Banned
icecream said:
It doesn't help that, you know, the PS2 versions released first and gathered the majority of the sales. I'd expect the PS3 version to not fair too well for that exact reason: everyone bought it for the PS2 and the PSP already, long long ago.

That's a possible point, but you edited your post huh. Good thing because what you wrote was borderline... :lol Nevermind.

New playable characters and content for Orochi Z will help sales. Let's see what happens.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Y2Kev said:
between your retardation and the VG Chartz posting, the mc thread sanctity has been violated
Seriously, just lock this shit before it gets worse and until the new numbers are out. Yeesh

Rpgmonkey

TLR will likely still come and SO4 is still up in the air, but ToV has pretty much one chance left at getting any possible port announced. If a port isn't announced along with the other upcoming Tales game(s) they'll be announcing a little later this year, might as well call that a lost cause and wait for the next HD Tales to see if they decide to go multi. Unless they want to be different from what they usually do this time for whatever reason, an announcement that isn't simultaneous with the "bigger titles" isn't too likely.

LiquidMetal14 said:
Seriously, just lock this shit before it gets worse and until the new numbers are out. Yeesh

Besides the VGC stuff and keikoku's post, I've actually been kinda enjoying the discussion in this thread though. :p

Pachael

I like it when MC threads become more debateable and there are more opinions in the mix - it was getting quite boring after a while (but joyful for the Nintendo faithful) with the Nintendomination.

t3nmilez said:

Although, I think that every single post you've written the past few weeks in these threads are for the purpose of downplaying SO's launch. Do you have some obsession with this game failing or something?

Yeah because developers make games for bragging rights purposes.

rykomatsu

t3nmilez said:

Don't know, in all honesty, if Namco is happy about the sales of ToV. There was a fireside chat interview type thing on Famitsu's 360 blog and it was pretty clear that the dev wasn't happy with the sales numbers...whether that was because it didn't meet his goals or due to pressures from above is unclear.

t3nmilez

AranhaHunter said:
Yeah because developers make games for bragging rights purposes.

Maybe not the best way I could have phrased it, but it's still pretty respectable to have the #1 selling game on a system. If nothing else, it gives them a few extra sentences on a press release.

Mindlog

Pachael said:
I like it when MC threads become more debateable and there are more opinions in the mix - it was getting quite boring after a while (but joyful for the Nintendo faithful) with the Nintendomination.

'Opinion and debate' tends to be weighted towards the typical hurf-blurf from a couple of groups traveling thread to thread like a bunch of cattle. Other grounds have proven barren and they've decided to fester here for a while :\

I'm hoping they move along.

FrankT

rykomatsu said:
Don't know, in all honesty, if Namco is happy about the sales of ToV. There was a fireside chat interview type thing on Famitsu's 360 blog and it was pretty clear that the dev wasn't happy with the sales numbers...whether that was because it didn't meet his goals or due to pressures from above is unclear.

I thought from Famitsu 360 just weeks ago they stated they were pleased with the sales. I could be wrong about that but I'm almost sure it was posted here on GAF.

rykomatsu

Jtyettis said:
I thought from Famitsu 360 just weeks ago they stated they were pleased with the sales. I could be wrong about that but I almost sure it was posted here on GAF.

It was in Famitsu 360 recently, but I also expect anything in there to generally paint a prettier picture than reality...it could also mean that US sales weren't as shabby?

The impromptu interview was sometime last year....Oct i think?

FrankT

Famitsu 360 as I stated, yes. That is without the Euro launch as well so there are some sales to be had yet still.

gantz85 said:
Didn't I already mention everything you said in my post? Anyways:

(1) It's a port that will probably outsell 360 version's LTD sales by tenfolds.

*You must mean Koei rather than Bandai-Namco
You mentioned them but went to say why other systems that got Orochi 1 and 2 are not getting Z. You are wrong at that point, they aren't putting Z on any of those because its Orochi 1 and 2 once again, they already released those games on those platforms.

You bring up Extreme Legends and Empires editions but those are proper expansions to the original games unlike Z which is just Orochi 1+2 with 96 instead of 92 characters, with 12 new stages on Dream Mode for a 40 total and a few other tweaks. The PSP ports also had new content like Z is getting. None is expected to hit other systems that already had those games.

I don't know how to tell you what Orochi Z is but let me say it this way: its not Orochi 3, its not Orochi Empires, its not Orochi Extreme Legends, its Orochi 1 and Orochi 2 once again.

So these multi-week pies don't come up very often, but I thought it would make another interesting way to show the change from early last year to early this year; both in how the overall total is smaller and the change in the way it's split.

freddy

Banned
cw_sasuke said:
I think the lack of big games is killing the wii.
Well I was pretty much joking. Everything is down on last year. Well everything that's halfway relevant.

The Wii is doing fine in Japan all things considered. It's the top selling home console, after all.

freddy said:
Well I was pretty much joking. Everything is down on last year. Well everything that's halfway relevant.

The Wii is doing fine in Japan all things considered. It's the top selling home console, after all.
Well, as Segata was recently saying so fluently, being the top dog of some subcategory doesn't necessarily mean much.

markatisu

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, as Segata was recently saying so fluently, being the top dog of some subcategory doesn't necessarily mean much.

On the positive side that means everyone underneath you is just that much worse off

Yazus

Whoever says SO4 failed on 360 seriously needs help. Blue Dragon bombed because
a) One of the first if not the first big JRPG on the 360
b) Toriyama
c) Sakaguchi
d) Sounded like Dragon Quest to Japanese people

Compare SO4 sales to TOV one, SO4 did REALLY WELL for a JRPG on 360 IN JAPAN. Wait till you see LTD.

Also, if you dont liked it it doesnt mean it failed as a JRPG. One thing is for sure, it doesnt fail as a JRPG. Too bad i feel it wont sell as much as it would have been on the ps3.

creamsugar

Famitsu

DSL 10000
DSi 35000
PSP 61000
Wii 20000
PS3 40000
PS2 5000
360 14000

RE5 PS3 320,000
RE5 360 79,000

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DSL 10000
DSi 35000
PSP 61000
Wii 20000
PS3 40000
PS2 5000
360 14000

RE5 PS3 320,000
RE5 360 79,000

Nice RE5 sales.

PSP bump..new colors?

Yazus said:
Whoever says SO4 failed on 360 seriously needs help. Blue Dragon bombed because
a) One of the first if not the first big JRPG on the 360
b) Toriyama
c) Sakaguchi
d) Sounded like Dragon Quest to Japanese people

Compare SO4 sales to TOV one, SO4 did REALLY WELL for a JRPG on 360 IN JAPAN. Wait till you see LTD.

Also, if you dont liked it it doesnt mean it failed as a JRPG. One thing is for sure, it doesnt fail as a JRPG. Too bad i feel it wont sell as much as it would have been on the ps3.
20fxr4n.jpg

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DSL 10000
DSi 35000
PSP 61000
Wii 20000
PS3 40000
PS2 5000
360 14000

RE5 PS3 320,000
RE5 360 79,000

wow. Ps3 outsold Wii again? wow. looks like RE5 moved some xbox 360 consoles.

Top Bottom