• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
jimbo said:
But in that case isn't it also Nintendo's fault that it's currently behind by about 5 million units to the 360? After all it was their strategy to launch now.

omg you're right, the console war finished yesterday

jimbo said:
And if 6-7 million units sold in the world [over 12 months] currently is not a success what is 2 million units sold [over 3 weeks]? An even bigger bomb right?

:lol

smallsoft said:
yeah I love it when companies pass me up to design products for japanese housewives :lol

your trolling is getting ridiculous.

Striek

DefectiveReject said:
I can’t believe someone is arguing against the fact that Mario, Duckhunt and Tetris aren’t the biggest selling games period? Why the hell would I use ioi’s crappy site as a reason for that?
No one is going to take you seriously if you count -mandatory- bundled games the same as non-bundled. Its stupid. Its almost childish for the argument you tried to make (Wii sports vs. Gears).

imastalker co. said:
i can't find that ioi thread. can someone please hook it up with that chart?

one for japan only would also be great.
it is a Japan only one i'm afraid
hw_japan.png

AniHawk

imastalker co. said:
i can't find that ioi thread. can someone please hook it up with that chart?

one for japan only would also be great.

At each one's 105th week in Japan, the DS was around 12.7m, and the PS2 was just above 8m.

Pretty much the exact opposite situation in the States, with the PS2 leading by some.

jimbo

Banned
hadareud said:
depends on who you ask, certain people will tell you it's abysmal while others will say it's doing well.

I think they up to the end of november they may have sold
3.8 million in the US
2 million in Europe
180k in Japan
500k in the rest of the world

so maybe around 6.5 million, probably around 8 to 9 million by the end of the year

Actually it was only 3.4 mi in the US. But people always forget Canada which can amount to as much as 15-20% of US sales. So it should be anywhere between 510k-680k in Canada.

So as of the end of Nov we can assume:
4 million NA
~1.5-2 million Europe
115,000 Australia as listed in the Australian thread
180,000 in Japan

And ~300k everywhere else?

For a total of 6.1 to 6.6 world wide as of the end of Nov.

Striek said:
No one is going to take you seriously if you count -mandatory- bundled games the same as non-bundled. Its stupid. Its almost childish for the argument you tried to make (Wii sports vs. Gears).
It’s a game that people play.
Its on sale in Japan as a game
It will more than likely not be bundled forever in Europe and America.
The unit cost increased the price of Wii in Europe and America (See Japanese price)

MrSardonic

Striek said:
No one is going to take you seriously if you count -mandatory- bundled games the same as non-bundled.

No one is going to take you seriously if you try to claim that bundled games aren't included in total sales of a game.

jimbo

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
It’s a game that people play.
Its on sale in Japan as a game
It will more than likely not be bundled forever in Europe and America.
The unit cost increased the price of Wii in Europe and America (See Japanese price)

Dude drop it. It COMES with the system in EU and NA. It's funny to me that you are ready to quote other people's posts and poke fun yet you don't take the time to read your own to see how retarded it sounds.

Striek

Come on, grow up. Even you can tell the difference is very distinct. You can't buy a system without the game in EU or NA, which is where you're trying to say ~1.7 million copies have been 'sold'.

hadareud

The Translator
jimbo said:
Actually it was only 3.4 mi in the US. But people always forget Canada which can amount to as much as 15-20% of US sales. So it should be anywhere between 510k-680k in Canada.
if you add up the npd data it's 3.4 million like you say, but per NPD press release for the November data they've adjusted it up to 3.78 million.

Thinking about it they could get quite close to the 10 million sold by the end of December, probably just over 9 million.

Scotch

hadareud said:
depends on who you ask, certain people will tell you it's abysmal while others will say it's doing well.

I think they up to the end of november they may have sold
3.8 million in the US
2 million in Europe
180k in Japan
500k in the rest of the world

so maybe around 6.5 million, probably around 8 to 9 million by the end of the year

forgot about canada, maybe another 500k?
I think the 3.8m figure includes Canada. US is at 3.4m.

MrSardonic

jimbo said:
Dude drop it. It COMES with the system in EU and NA.

Wrong. When you buy the bundle you are purchasing the game at the same time. Buying a Wii contributes to the total sales of Wii Sports software. People are buying a Wii because of the Wii Sports game pack-in, like how they bought the NES for SMB.

The xbot arguments are getting ridiculous. They'd have you believe SMB sold 0 units while it was bundled with the NES.

MrSardonic

Striek said:
You can't buy a system without the game in EU or NA, which is where you're trying to say ~1.7 million copies have been 'sold'.

Those games have still been sold. Trying to argue otherwise is futile nonsense.

I guess every time someone buys a retailer-forced hardware/software bundle, those games didn't really get "sold" because the customer was forced into buying them...better alert NPD.

jimbo

Banned
MrSardonic said:
Wrong. When you buy the bundle you are purchasing the game at the same time. Buying a Wii contributes to the total sales of Wii Sports software. People are buying a Wii because of the Wii Sports game pack-in, like how they bought the NES for SMB.
The xbot arguments are getting ridiculous. They'd have you believe SMB sold 0 units while it was bundled with the NES.

Man I gotta stop. You two not only don't read posts, and take out only parts that fit your argument, it's like you are genetically mangled half brothers with their brains fused together by Pikmin.

jimbo

Banned
AniHawk said:
How much does the Blue Dragon bundle cost.

I see your point, except in this case you DO have the option of NOT getting the BD bundle when buying a 360. Not so with the Wii in NA or EU. Come on this pack-in argument is really freaking stupid.

The NPD had it all wrong. They should have been talking about Wii Sport's attached rate of 100%, not Zelda. I see another correction coming....

AniHawk

jimbo said:
I see your point, except in this case you DO have the option of NOT getting the BD bundle when buying a 360. Not so with the Wii in NA or EU. Come on this pack-in argument is really freaking stupid.

I was asking a question, not making a point.

If it costs the same as a normal 360, then there's an argument to be made on whether or not that should "count" towards BD's overall sales. Mario Kart DS, Gran Turismo 3, and others were all bundled at a point in time. Wii Sports probably wont be included with the system forever, if it takes off as expected.

jimbo

Banned
AniHawk said:

If it costs the same as a normal 360, then there's an argument to be made on whether or not that should "count" towards BD's overall sales. Mario Kart DS, Gran Turismo 3, and others were all bundled at a point in time. Wii Sports probably wont be included with the system forever, if it takes off as expected.

Honestly, I do not know. This was asked earlier in the thread and I don't think there ever was an answer. But yes you would be correct. Because if it costs the same who wouldn't want a free game? Counting it as sales on its own merit in that case would be just as retarded as what Bebop and Rocksteady are muttering about Wii Sports.

MrSardonic

jimbo said:
Come on this pack-in argument is really freaking stupid.

that's what we've been trying to tell you.

jimbo said:
They should have been talking about Wii Sport's attached rate of 100%

they should also have mentioned that Wii runs on electricity and that people got their Wii by exchanging it for a thing called money.

jimbo said:
Agreed. Me horseshit. You perfect sense. Good night.

yes.

Striek

MrSardonic said:
The xbot arguments are getting ridiculous.
Uh...

MrSardonic said:
Those games have still been sold. Trying to argue otherwise is futile nonsense.
I guess every time someone buys a retailer-forced hardware/software bundle, those games didn't really get "sold" because the customer was forced into buying them...better alert NPD.
Thats why we have a something called a grey area, are you being serious or living up to your username here? If the latter, its great work, because I've surely pegged you as part of DRs ilk.

Trying to argue that all those people wanted to buy the game is alot more futile. Its inane. So now the Wii attach rate is 3? Or 7, at your discretion.

jimbo said:

Man I gotta stop. You two not only don't read posts, and take out only parts that fit your argument, it's like you are genetically mangled half brothers with their brains fused together by Pikmin.
yep
you disagreeing with us, doesn't make you right....
A bundled game is a sale.
and you still haven't explained how i misread your statement?

syllogism

AniHawk said:

The bundle costs the same as a normal 360 core. For a limited time core buyers got Project Gotham Racing 3 and Ninety-Nine Nights for free but I've no idea what's the situation right now.

jayboy

How was the Wii done at launch so far compared to the Gamecube?

2million Wiis since launch sounds phenomenal!...is that Worldwide or just Japan?

Thanks

AniHawk

jayboy said:
How was the Wii done at launch so far compared to the Gamecube?

2million Wiis since launch sounds phenomenal!...is that Worldwide or just Japan?

Thanks

2m would be WW. Strange though, seeing how it's sold under 500k in each region (well, around 800k for JP/EU, probably over 500k for NA).

Petrarca

Banned
jimbo said:

NOT BY ANY CHANCE!!!

Canada population is only 10% of the U.S and we don't love xbox as much as the U.S.

AniHawk said:
2m would be WW. Strange though, seeing how it's sold under 500k in each region (well, around 800k for JP/EU, probably over 500k for NA).
NPD was 467000 or something but Nintendo officially announced 600,000
Japan has 450,000
EU has 320,000
Although America is probably up to much more as you’ve had 3 or 4 shipments since then!!
then you have other regions and what not.

Striek

MrSardonic said:
lucky I didn't try to argue that.
Thats not how I interpret the comment "People are buying a Wii because of the Wii Sports game pack-in".

Mayhap I was meant to infer it be preceded by "a small amount of".

Anyway, whatever. I'm getting back to Zelda.

AniHawk

DefectiveReject said:
NPD was 467000 or something but Nintendo officially announced 600,000
Japan has 450,000
EU has 320,000
Although America is probably up to much more as you’ve had 3 or 4 shipments since then!!
then you have other regions and what not.

Yeah, who can forget the lucrative Australian games industry.

AniHawk

Striek said:
Thats not how I interpret the comment "People are buying a Wii because of the Wii Sports game pack-in".

Mayhap I was meant to infer it be preceded by "a small amount of".

Anyway, whatever. I'm getting back to Zelda.

You left!?!

jimbo

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
yep
you disagreeing with us, doesn't make you right....
A bundled game is a sale.
and you still haven't explained how i misread your statement?

Ok this is the last time I will respond to you, and this is only because you may really just be that slow and I'd like for you to understand. But I won't even touch the bundle thing anymore.

What I was implying was that me saying simply the 360 has a 5 million lead on the Wii and ignoring the fact that the Wii has been out for just 3 weeks is just as silly as ignoring the fact that the 360 costs more than the Wii. All of these things matter. When you ignore price you are taking things out of perspective. The same way I would be taking things out of perspective IF I actually believed myself and fooled myself that the 360 is easily beating the Wii by 5 million as if they have both been out for the same amount of time. But at no point was I even REMOTELY serious in actually believing that statement as you and your buddy are taking it and then replying to it as if I was.

And honestly, I'm not sure if you did that because you truly just couldn't follow a simple example, or if you did it because you, once again, found something ridiculous and took it out of perspecive and out of context to have something to reply to.

But then again if that was so complicated to understand, I surely doubt you'll understand this explanation.

jimbo said:
Ok this is the last time I will respond to you (thank god for that), and this is only because you may really just be that slow and I'd like for you to understand. But I won't even touch the bundle thing anymore.because you have no grounds for argument?

What I was implying was that me saying simply the 360 has a 5 million lead on the Wii and ignoring the fact that the Wii has been out for just 3 weeks is just as silly as ignoring the fact that the 360 costs more than the Wii. All of these things matter. When you ignore price you are taking things out of perspective. The same way I would be taking things out of perspective IF I actually believed myself and fooled myself that the 360 is easily beating the Wii by 5 million as if they have both been out for the same amount of time. But at no point was I even REMOTELY serious in actually believing that statement as you and your buddy are taking it and then replying to it as if I was.

Yeah I really don’t see how we could take your point so completely out of context
Point taken. But in that case isn't it also Nintendo's fault that it's currently behind by about 5 million units to the 360? After all it was their strategy to launch now. And if 6-7 million units sold in the world currently is not a success what is 2 million units sold? An even bigger bomb right?

And honestly, I'm not sure if you did that because you truly just couldn't follow a simple example, or if you did it because you, once again, found something ridiculous and took it out of perspecive and out of context to have something to reply to.

But then again if that was so complicated to understand, I surely doubt you'll understand this explanation.
Yep your explanation was too thorough for my mind to process. I am a complete dumb ass.
I really do not see how I could take your statement so far out of context. I mean your argument is so well laid down that my tiny little mind simply couldn’t process it. Due to this my mind saw only choice words and responded only to these.

jimbo

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Yeah I really don’t see how we could take your point so completely out of context

Yep your explanation was too thorough for my mind to process. I am a complete dumb ass.
I really do not see how I could take your statement so far out of context. I mean your argument is so well laid down that my tiny little mind simply couldn’t process it. Due to this my mind saw only choice words and responded only to these.

I don't know about a well thought out argument, but sarcasm seems to be completely over your head.

Striek

AniHawk said:
You left!?!
I did. I'm also back again, because someone won't give me back my cube until they finish the water temple!!

I didn't quite catch the meaning of your emphasis on the word left, your sarcasm seems mismatched and as poorly utilised as your arguments!?!

MrSardonic

Jasoncheng said:
http://blog.livedoor.jp/neoplay/archives/50783603.html

HARDWARE
PS3:43000
PSP:30000
Wii:100000
XBOX360:38000
NDSL:250000

Are these the approximate unofficial numbers?

He seems to say 80k for BD includes the hardware bundle too.

Striek said:

Are you trying argue that some people aren't buying a Wii for Wii Sports?

jimbo said:
ignoring the fact that the Wii has been out for just 3 weeks is just as silly as ignoring the fact that the 360 costs more than the Wii.

no, it's not

AniHawk

Striek said:
I did. I'm also back again, because someone won't give me back my cube until they finish the water temple!!

I didn't quite catch the meaning of your emphasis on the word left, your sarcasm seems mismatched and as poorly utilised as your arguments!?!

It was more as in:

"YOU LEFT THE GAME?! HOW DARE YOU!!"

It wasn't really sarcasm.

Striek

MrSardonic said:
Are you trying argue that some people aren't buying a Wii for Wii Sports?
Not at all. I'm arguing that most aren't, but I actually don't care. What I did and do argue is that theres a distinct difference between sales of a mandatory bundled game, retail-bundled game and a non-bundled game for the purpose of sales discussion. Thats all. I don't know why thats hard to see and I don't even know why it elicited such response in the first place.

Striek

AniHawk said:
It was more as in:

"YOU LEFT THE GAME?! HOW DARE YOU!!"

It wasn't really sarcasm.
Ah damn, this thread has me...errr....ughhhhhh.. :|

Yes, I'm actually at the start of the water temple, and uh, I still remember OoT. Apprehension total. Not eager.

AniHawk

Striek said:
Ah damn, this thread has me...errr....ughhhhhh.. :|

Yes, I'm actually at the start of the water temple, and uh, I still remember OoT. Apprehension total. Not eager.

Relax. TP's water temple is actually the only good water level in existence. MM's and OoT's HATED YOU, but this one was actually rather well designed and fun to unravel.

Ok, im at page 2 only, but:

How can you say, Zelda is bomba?

1.) Zelda was never that popular, look at MGS, Metroid, Castlevania, etc..
2.) WiiSports and WiiPlay is just THE type of game Japanese like.
3.) Even I would recommend someone WiiPlay and WiiSports over Zelda, if they´re buying a Wii, because WiiSports and WiiPlay really show the strenghts of the Wii, whereas Zelda gives you a more comfortable, but not that revolutionary control.
4.) And then you have to look at the installed hardware-base...when is Zelda GCN being released?

Top Bottom