• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

Odysseus

Banned
apujanata said:
I wish that all of this Europe, US and other territory talk STOP.

We are in M-create thread, so please talk about Japan sales ONLY.

To be fair, Japan and Europe are constant sources of discussion in NPD threads. Usually preceded by ":lol but 360 still sucks in [territory]."

justchris

smallsoft said:
Ahh...running back to the DS point again, eh?

I will say this again, two different Markets. Nintendo is not the incumbent here, but the challenger for its 2nd straight round.

That's just it, though. Simply saying the handheld market is different from the console market, while true, isn't the whole picture. The GBA still rules the handheld market. The DS, quite literally, created an entirely different market that previously didn't buy handhelds. Nintendo is trying to do the same thing with the Wii. I'm not saying they can do it, but that is what they're trying. If they succeed, all the normal arguments and criteria simply won't apply.

Branduil

AniHawk said:
Blue Dragon sparked some false hope it looks like.

No, don't you see, the 360 is one price drop away from PS2-level sales in all territories. That explains why MS is so reluctant to drop the price.

AniHawk

smallsoft said:
Yeah, but what is keeping the DS so successful is its huge library of games. Everyone in the industry has been dumping their popular low end 2d brands onto this baby, its practically the GBA 2.

Sony from the get go said it didnt want that low end sprite crap on its sexy psp, and that could have been their downfall. Forcing developers to cough up PS2 like development costs for an unproven handheld.

Hey kids, rewriting history is fun!

smallsoft said:
I am not saying that Nintendo doesn't deserve credit for these games, they most certainly do. But they obviously haven't convinced developers to follow their suit in developing games designed aroudn the touchpad, and not just slapping on another cheaply made port for huge $$$$

Nope. But what has happened is that because of Nintendogs and Brain Training, the DS has built a ungodly, monsterous userbase.

And what that's done is bring about ... DRAGON QUEST IX going to the DS. Just a little thing that ... y'know. No big deal. Oh and Final Fantasy XII: Revevant Wing and some other little stuff like that. It's no Trusty Bell or Lost Planet, but somehow I think Nintendo will manage.

No Nintendogs, Brain Training = no Dragon Quest IX IMO. Infact, I think the PSP probably would be the no.1 handheld worldwide. It was outselling the DS by significant margins in North America, Japan, and Europe prior to the "Easter 2005" debacle when Nintendo brought out Nintendogs in Japan.

This thread is going to be used for some comedy quotes inabout a years time.
I’ve bookmarked it along side the PSP/DS threads I have that leave a few people highly embarassed.

Regardless of units available Nintendo sold the lot, and can sell more. Why? Because the demand is there. In the UK on eBay Wii’s are going for more than premium Xbox360’s are. Link
The demand is there. People want it, the tides have turned 6m Wii’s will be in peoples hands by March. 5mths after Launch.

jimbo said:
Call me crazy but I for one do NOT believe any of this European 360 bombing that's running rampant on GAF. I've seen enough articles that are putting the 360 somewhere close to 2 million by the year end in Europe. It was at 700k in the UK ALONE at the end of Nov.

I'm sorry but 2 milion is significant for a $400 console. Sure it's not a runaway success, but to put it in perspective, it's the equivalent of what the 360 is doing in NA, with it selling 500k a month in Nov. Simply getting the job done.

I think Europe as well as NA is one price drop away from skyrocketing 360 sales to levels Wii simply will never match.

You and striek have provided 2 of the greatest quotes ever to grace these hallowed pages of GAF.
2m isn’t good for a NEW console after a year. And you think 500,000 sold units in USA is decent? When a decent number would be 1m or 750,000 (or where they just the downgraded estimates from analysts??)

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
jimbo said:
Call me crazy but I for one do NOT believe any of this European 360 bombing that's running rampant on GAF. I've seen enough articles that are putting the 360 somewhere close to 2 million by the year end in Europe. It was at 700k in the UK ALONE at the end of Nov.

MS is predicting that X360 will reach 1m units sold by end of 2006...so it will probably be less than 1m after 12 months on sale. That's respectable but far short of the kinds of numbers DSL is doing and far higher than in any other European territory. It's sales have not been great while there has been no console competition around.

Will be interesting to see what impact PS3/Wii has on X360 sales now.

jimbo said:
I think Europe as well as NA is one price drop away from skyrocketing 360 sales to levels Wii simply will never match.

:lol oh dear

apujanata

Odysseus said:
To be fair, Japan and Europe are constant sources of discussion in NPD threads. Usually preceded by ":lol but 360 still sucks in [territory]."

Yeah, I always hate it when people do that in NPD threads. But this is ridiculous. Look at the last 5 - 10 pages, it is all filled with this "outside of Japan" posts.

Please, stop it. Let this topic return to normalcy.

smallsoft said:
Uhh....sony had a huge issue with "quality control" for games on the PSP. They wanted games that could show off the system's capabilities.
so good he had to tell us 3 times
PSP fails because DS won.......and the quality of games on PSP even with Quality control isn't very good!

smallsoft

soundwave05 said:
Nope. But what has happened is that because of Nintendogs and Brain Training, the DS has built a ungodly, monsterous userbase.

And what that's done is bring about ... DRAGON QUEST IX going to the DS. Just a little thing that ... y'know. No big deal. Oh and Final Fantasy XII: Revevant Wing and some other little stuff like that. It's no Trusty Bell or Lost Planet, but somehow I think Nintendo will manage.

No Nintendogs, Brain Training = no Dragon Quest IX IMO. Infact, I think the PSP probably would be the no.1 handheld worldwide. It was outselling the DS by significant margins in North America, Japan, and Europe prior to the "Easter 2005" debacle when Nintendo brought out Nintendogs in Japan.

This sort of defeats the whole purpose of the handheld, to create new innovative games. Change the interface, and we should see a slew of new genres on the system, but sadly we dont.

DefectiveReject said:
so good he had to tell us 3 times
PSP fails because DS won.......and the quality of games on PSP even with Quality control isn't very good!

B ... bu ...but DS only sells to little children.

With PSP my emo girlfriend can send me a wild goosechase around the city's seedy yet cooly lit nightclub scene. It's uber-cool!

I used to think the GameCube was the worst marketed system ever, but I think Sony is hellbent on writing the new textbook on it. Be careful .... white is coming.

Striek

DefectiveReject said:
HA HA you guys are hilarious, trying to laugh of my argument, why because you don’t like it??
I don't even know what your argument is.

DefectiveReject said:
Gears is no where near 2m.
It was 1m in US and probably less than half that in Europe.
1M in the US for November. Its definitely added alot to that by now. And EU and other countries (Australia...) would put it a HELL of a lot closer to 2M than Nintendo is with the Wii, and even closer than Wii sports.

DefectiveReject said:
And as I said previously I believe the biggest selling games of all time are pack ins Mario, Duckhunt and Tetris!!
According to ioi maybe.

DefectiveReject said:
I love your point about Japan and Europe for Nintendo though. that especially bought a tear to my eye.
I bet. Of sadness.

MrSardonic

smallsoft said:
This sort of defeats the whole purpose of the handheld, to create new innovative games.

which is what is happening

smallsoft said:
Change the interface, and we should see a slew of new genres on the system, but sadly we dont.

we have

jimbo

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
This thread is going to be used for some comedy quotes inabout a years time.
I’ve bookmarked it along side the PSP/DS threads I have that leave a few people highly embarassed.

Regardless of units available Nintendo sold the lot, and can sell more. Why? Because the demand is there. In the UK on eBay Wii’s are going for more than premium Xbox360’s are. Link
The demand is there. People want it, the tides have turned 6m Wii’s will be in peoples hands by March. 5mths after Launch.

You and striek have provided 2 of the greatest quotes ever to grace these hallowed pages of GAF.
2m isn’t good for a NEW console after a year. And you think 500,000 sold units in USA is decent? When a decent number would be 1m or 750,000 (or where they just the downgraded estimates from analysts??)

Of course not, because you insist on ignoring the fact the 360 costs $400. There has NEVER been a $400 console that's sold as fast or as many consoles as the 360. Ever. Period. It wouldn't be good if it was $299, or $199, or even $250.....which are the ONLY price points ANY console has EVER hit those kind of numbers.

But no, price does not matter. So you are right. You win. The 360 is a failure world-wide. MS should just pack their bags and leave.

icecream

Public Health Threat
soundwave05 said:
Hey guys, I hear that popular franchises sell better than new unproven ones! Who'd have thought?

That being said, I can see the Wii taking off. It just annoys me how stupid fanbois have to rub it in my face.

Don't worry, after Blue Dragon wears off in a week, the XBots will go back to avoiding Media Create threads like the plague and things can get back to normal.

One 50k week ... lets bust out the champange :lol

MrSardonic

jimbo said:
Of course not, because you insist on ignoring the fact the 360 costs $400.

who gives a ****! MS chose that strategy. It doesn't suddenly make the sales incredible just because they decided to make a $400 console.

jimbo said:
It wouldn't be good if it was $299, or $199, or even $250.

but it isn't $299, or $199, or even $250 because it isn't possible to create a console like X360 for those prices.

if I made a $5000 console and it sold 500k worldwide that doesn't make it an incredible success just because no $5000 console has ever sold so well worldwide.

Branduil

jimbo said:
Of course not, because you insist on ignoring the fact the 360 costs $400. There has NEVER been a $400 console that's sold as fast or as many consoles as the 360. Ever. Period.

Yeah, that's impressive, beating the Saturn.

since this is an official sales thread, can i please see a chart for PS2 vs DS worldwide, beginning at each systems very first launch, up until however old DS is right now.

smallsoft

soundwave05 said:
Don't worry, after Blue Dragon wears off in a week, the XBots will go back to avoiding Media Create threads like the plague and things can get back to normal.

One 50k week ... lets bust out the champange :lol

Oh i am sorry, I just don't like it when companies decide that I am not important, and its time to start designing a product aimed around middled aged mothers. Man I just can't get me enough of those simplistic dumbed down games....:lol

Striek

DefectiveReject said:
:lol what? Dude, if Nintendo pulls off a surprise victory I'll quote myself and say I'm ****ing Nostradamus.

When they inevitably don't, I won't be assed quoting you though, knowing GAF will do that for me :)

jimbo

Banned
MrSardonic said:
who gives a ****! MS chose that strategy. It doesn't suddenly make the sales incredible just because they decided to make a $400 console.

but it isn't $299, or $199, or even $250 because it isn't possible to create a console like X360 for those prices.

if I made a $5000 console and it sold 500k worldwide that doesn't make it an incredible success just because no $5000 console has ever sold so well worldwide.

Point taken. But in that case isn't it also Nintendo's fault that it's currently behind by about 5 million units to the 360? After all it was their strategy to launch now. And if 6-7 million units sold in the world currently is not a success what is 2 million units sold? An even bigger bomb right?

Me ignoring MS one year head start and saying it's currently kicking the Wii's ass after one month of sales, is just as retarded as ignoring price difference. After all why not ignore time difference if you can ignore price difference? Time is money after all.

This thread is a train-wreck :(

Oh i am sorry, I just don't like it when companies decide that I am not important, and its time to start designing a product aimed around middled aged mothers. Man I just can't get me enough of this simplistic dumbed down games....

What?

imastalker co. said:
since this is an official sales thread, can i please see a chart for PS2 vs DS worldwide, beginning at each systems very first launch, up until however old DS is right now.
its been posted in an ioi topic somewhere in the last few days

Price means jack shit also you guys

iPods sell by the bucketload and they’re more overpriced than anything. No matter what the price, if people want it, they’ll buy it. And in the UK a 360 is actually priced just £20 above a Wii. You can even get a 360 and a game for £199.

I can’t believe someone is arguing against the fact that Mario, Duckhunt and Tetris aren’t the biggest selling games period? Why the hell would I use ioi’s crappy site as a reason for that?

jimbo said:
Point taken. But in that case isn't it also Nintendo's fault that it's currently behind by about 5 million units to the 360? After all it was their strategy to launch now. And if 6-7 million units sold in the world currently is not a success what is 2 million units sold? An even bigger bomb right?

You’re saying that Wii after selling 2m units in 3 weeks is a bomb? Joke account confirmed.
I know a lot of idiots from dopey-ages are trying to have fun here lately, but man you guys beat them.
360 has sold a meagre 6m units in a year with NO competition. The 360 from hereon now has the PS3 and Wii to contend with for next (And NEW) gen sales!

jimbo

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Price means jack shit also you guys

iPods sell by the bucketload and they’re more overpriced than anything. No matter what the price, if people want it, they’ll buy it. And in the UK a 360 is actually priced just £20 above a Wii. You can even get a 360 and a game for £199.

I can’t believe someone is arguing against the fact that Mario, Duckhunt and Tetris aren’t the biggest selling games period? Why the hell would I use ioi’s crappy site as a reason for that?

You’re saying that Wii after selling 2m units in 3 weeks is a bomb? Joke account confirmed.
I know a lot of idiots from dopey-ages are trying to have fun here lately, but man you guys beat them.
360 has sold a meagre 6m units in a year with NO competition. The 360 from hereon now has the PS3 and Wii to contend with for next (And NEW) gen sales!

You my friend clearly have a reading comprehension problem. If you will take the time to read my post I am saying how RETARDED it would be for me to ignore the fact that it's only a month worth of sales and say something like that. But it's ok, I know, it's hard to keep up. You get an A for effort.

jayboy

How many units has the 360 sold worldwide then?

And is it considered a flop?

The amount of sarcasm makes it hard for a casual gamer to find out!?

smallsoft said:
Oh you didnt know, well here was shiggy's big inspiration...http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=21162

focus on the last few paragraphs, yeah I love it when companies pass me up to design products for japanese housewives :lol

I don't think he means to 'pass up' the existing gamer base in favour of a new market - just to expand the market, whilst keeping the existing base, into new areas so that untapped groups, such as Japanese housewives, might want to jump in.

You could turn your statement on its head and put it from a 'Japanese housewive' perspective - "yeah I love it how games companies have passed me up to design products for teenage males for the past 20 years'. Obviously, a bit extreme and not at all true, but the same could be said of what you said. The Wii has plenty of traditional stuff in the pipeline.

Time will tell - no predictions from me folks - whether their strategy is a good one or not.

ziran

soundwave05 said:
Wii will overtake 360 worldwide in 2008 if Nintendo can successfully create more games for non-gamers on the system. Happy? Infact I think the 360 will be no.3 worldwide when it's all said and done.
i agree.

the key to wii's real success is in the hands of nintendo and their ability to create more system selling games like wii sports. you don't have to like these games but to underestimate their importance would be a mistake.

it's sad games like zelda are having such a hard time. i mean look tales of destiny, its second week is under 35k and has to be one of the biggest drop offs ever! also, just look at yakuza 2. while its sales are good, it's only relatively so. putting its sales into perspective, given the cost of the game and how it would've easily been a million+ seller 5 years ago, it just continues to prove the japanese market has changed dramatically.

look at ps3 sw sales, they're non-existent, and ridge racer, new versions of the game are bombing in an unbelievable way!

imo, whether wii becomes the dominant console this gen is still undecided, but over this last year what has become plainly obvious is many people are tiring of playing the same things over and over again with better graphics. now, some the hardcore screams, no!!!!! look at things like gears of war, viva pinata, motorstorm, etc, etc, they're new!!!! but this view continues to miss the point, because these games aren't new, they're more of the same with a few tweaks.

i'm not saying there's no value in these titles, there is to those who enjoy them, but they won't expand the market or take it to the success of the ps2/xbox/gc gen and will only appeal to a declining number of people. i mean, i love twilight princess, but i'd be wrong to believe its not just a perfect version of the current zelda formula and compared to wii sports has limited appeal.

hadareud

The Translator
jayboy said:
How many units has the 360 sold worldwide then?

And is it considered a flop?

The amount of sarcasm makes it hard for a casual gamer to find out!?
depends on who you ask, certain people will tell you it's abysmal while others will say it's doing well.

I think they up to the end of november they may have sold
3.8 million in the US
2 million in Europe
180k in Japan
500k in the rest of the world

so maybe around 6.5 million, probably around 8 to 9 million by the end of the year

forgot about canada, maybe another 500k?

smallsoft

lochnesssnowman said:
I don't think he means to 'pass up' the existing gamer base in favour of a new market - just to expand the market, whilst keeping the existing base, into new areas so that untapped groups, such as Japanese housewives, might want to jump in.

You could turn your statement on its head and put it from a 'Japanese housewive' perspective - "yeah I love it how games companies have passed me up to design products for teenage males for the past 20 years'. Obviously, a bit extreme and not at all true, but the same could be said of what you said. The Wii has plenty of traditional stuff in the pipeline.

Time will tell - no predictions from me folks - whether their strategy is a good one or not.

You can interperet it however you want, but I think his statement was quite clear.

jimbo said:
You my friend clearly have a reading comprehension problem. If you will take the time to read my post I am saying how RETARDED it would be for me to ignore the fact that it's only a month worth of sales and say something like that. But it's ok, I know, it's hard to keep up. You get an A for effort.

How did i read that wrong?
You get a c- for lack of effort!

jayboy

hadareud said:
depends on who you ask, certain people will tell you it's abysmal while others will say it's doing well.

I think they up to the end of november they may have sold
3.8 million in the US
2 million in Europe
180k in Japan
500k in the rest of the world

so maybe around 6.5 million, probably around 8 to 9 million by the end of the year

forgot about canada, maybe another 500k?

Thanks for that, sounds OK to me....but I'm no expert.

Top Bottom