• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

AniHawk

MasterMFauli said:
Ok, im at page 2 only, but:

How can you say, Zelda is bomba?

1.) Zelda was never that popular, look at MGS, Metroid, Castlevania, etc..
2.) WiiSports and WiiPlay is just THE type of game Japanese like.
3.) Even I would recommend someone WiiPlay and WiiSports over Zelda, if they´re buying a Wii, because WiiSports and WiiPlay really show the strenghts of the Wii, whereas Zelda gives you a more comfortable, but not that revolutionary control.
4.) And then you have to look at the installed hardware-base...when is Zelda GCN being released?
1. Zelda WAS popular. OoT sold over 1 million, and TWW sold upwards of 800k.
3. You disgust me.
4. Never to store retailers in Japan. Only available online.

AniHawk said:
1. Zelda WAS popular. OoT sold over 1 million, and TWW sold upwards of 800k.
3. You disgust me.
4. Never to store retailers in Japan. Only available online.

1.) Yep, and neither OoT nor TWW were launch-games.
3.) Im glad it´s not the other way round.
4.) That´ll make GCN-sales diificult, but then we´ll see, if this is....the first Zelda-game with legs :lol

farnham

Banned
zelda sold about 140k last week.. with about 400k wiis sold..

mario 64 DS and Wario ware touched sold about 120k each in the first week with 400k DS sold

both titles reached one million status within a year..

launch titles = long run seller

farnham

Banned
AniHawk said:
At each one's 105th week in Japan, the DS was around 12.7m, and the PS2 was just above 8m.

Pretty much the exact opposite situation in the States, with the PS2 leading by some.

the DS had hardtime beating the PSP in the States.. the tides turned now..

Yeah, but what is keeping the DS so successful is its huge library of games. Everyone in the industry has been dumping their popular low end 2d brands onto this baby, its practically the GBA 2.

Where's Lex Luthor when you need him?

If you bother to actually check out software sales, you'll see that they're nothing special, save the few stalwarts that have actually turned the Japanese gaming industry upside down.

The fact that we do get those 'popular' 2D brands is a good thing, since it makes the system that much greater, but they are, quite frankly, insignificant to the DS's success.

farnham said:
zelda sold about 140k last week.. with about 400k wiis sold..

mario 64 DS and Wario ware touched sold about 120k each in the first week with 400k DS sold

both titles reached one million status within a year..

launch titles = long run seller

Shut up, you make too much sense. GAF needs drama, and nothing spells drama like Zelda bomba in Japan. It'll be cool to see who eats crow on Zelda sales in time to come, but hopefully Nintendo don't undership too badly, otherwise this could be another FF3 situation in the making; chances are it'll turn out like most launch games and go on to sell a million by mid-next year.

farnham

Banned
Tim the Wiz said:
Shut up, you make too much sense. GAF needs drama, and nothing spells drama like Zelda bomba in Japan. It'll be cool to see who eats crow on Zelda sales in time to come, but hopefully Nintendo don't undership too badly, otherwise this could be another FF3 situation in the making; chances are it'll turn out like most launch games and go on to sell a million by mid-next year.
why FFIII is at about 900k right now.. its a guaranteed million seller

farnham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
What ? I expected a lot more. And the Nintendo DS...Bah, you know: it is just the begin.
xbox will stay a nonfactor in japan.. 38000 is not bad.. but its december..

LOCK

lol another awesome sales thread on GAF

Zelda will sell people.

BD is like crazy good, but we expected that.

LOCK said:
lol another awesome sales thread on GAF

Zelda will sell people.

Yeah, you're right. Zelda will sell in the long term, like most of Nintendo's games. Before say that it bombed or something, it is better to wait the new year. Clear, Zelda is by far more powerful in USA and Europe.

Scotch said:
By the way, this is the worst Media Create thread ever. Just horrible.

There is nothing in the world more obnoxious than hardcore Nintendo fans revelling in the only validation they will ever receive in life.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Why is everyone so concerned with Zelda when the greater tragedy is the limited sales of Blue Dragon (which were good for a 360 game, but bad overall).

Zelda is going to sell the world over and games like Wii Sports will make the money that Nintendo could sink right back into Zelda (you know it's going nowhere). The future of Zelda is not in danger and Nintendo is making loads of money. There is NOTHING to be upset over.

Something like Blue Dragon, though, is a bit sad. Completely different situation.

jarrod

Banned
LiveFromKyoto said:
There is nothing in the world more obnoxious than hardcore Nintendo fans revelling in the only validation they will ever receive in life.
I dunno, there's also homophobic Mizuguchi fans... mind**** right there. :lol

Pureauthor said:
*coughs*

Annoying as they are, they're hardly the sole reason this thread sucks.

The Xbox guys are saying mean things about the Wii and DS, but it doesn't quite have the same nerdpocalyptic edge.

dark10x said:
Why is everyone so concerned with Zelda when the greater tragedy is the limited sales of Blue Dragon (which were good for a 360 game, but bad overall).

Zelda is going to sell the world over and games like Wii Sports will make the money that Nintendo could sink right back into Zelda (you know it's going nowhere). The future of Zelda is not in danger and Nintendo is making loads of money. There is NOTHING to be upset over.

Something like Blue Dragon, though, is a bit sad. Completely different situation.

Why is it sad, exactly? Sad like "Oh, 'War At Home' got renewed and 'Arrested Development' got cancelled"? Blue Dragon is clearly Shaggy 2 Dope and will sell really well when it hits the US. If one region can't find it in their hearts to play a great game that by all impressions appeals well to their market, then well, that's not sad. It's a head scratcher, but whatever.

Dead Rising sold, what, twelve copies in Japan and still made Capcom money.

Sad would be seeing Japanese developers ignore the global market and not develop great games for every console. Thankfully this has been avoided and no console will go JRPG hungry.

No sadness. Only smiles.

Elios83

dark10x said:

It's just the two opposite sides of the coin.
Commonly a game made by Sakaguchi + Toriyama +Uematsu selling 80k units in the first week would be considered a major bomba but since the game is on Xbox360 which is nearly dead in that market it's considered a positive sign.
Nevertheless next week will be important to tell if this is just the spike of a week or if the game has potential to make better numbers and push the interest around the console.
It's interesting to note that BD has made decent numbers with the bundle but only a fraction of the existing userbase (which is already really small) has bought the game probably meaning that the current userbase is a niche with different tastes compared to the typical japanese gamers and a small group of people (probably Sakaguchi and Toriyama fans) have decided to buy the console this week just for that game.

dark10x said:

Not one that wasn't expected though.

Blue Dragon is Mario 64 all over again.

dark10x said:

It's not really sad or a tragedy for two important reasons:

1) We're discussing the fate of a videogame. Not Africa or something.

2) Anyone who didn't see this coming a mile off is wearing blinkers.

Meier

I was gonna comment on some of these ridiculous posts, but they're pages back at this point. Wild thread.

A new survey conducted by Harris Interactive(R) and commissioned by Nintendo of America revealed that 52 percent of grandparents and 68 percent of baby boomers who celebrate the holidays would be excited to receive a technology product as a gift this holiday season. And at least half of that group (27 percent of grandparents and 34 percent of baby boomers) said they would like to receive a portable video game system, such as a Nintendo DS(TM) Lite, this year.

"A 2006 survey by the Entertainment Software Association revealed that 25 percent of all gamers are 50 or older. It [Brain Age] was the hit of the AARP's recent "Life@50+" expo and attracted many grandparents to Nintendo World in New York for a Grandparents' Day battle of the brains.

For Odysseus.

If hardware sales are anything like the rounded ones posted, then Japan PS3 land confirmed.

They are buying all PS3s available, even when there are absolutely no games they want, I will never understand that mentality.

dark10x

1) We're discussing the fate of a videogame. Not Africa or something.
Not necessarily aimed at any specific game, but when discussing the success and failure of a videogame, you must remember that we are discussing the future of those who spent years of their life working on it. It's not "just a game"...

Of course, I suppose Mistwalker really has nothing to worry about as they could succeed on another platform AND MS funded their latest games anyways. :p With smaller developers (lacking in big names), though, it is a real concern. Wouldn't you say?

Ynos Yrros said:
If hardware sales are anything like the rounded ones posted, then Japan PS3 land confirmed.

They are buying all PS3s available, even when there are absolutely no games they want, I will never understand that mentality.

They're buying all the DSes available, and there are games they want on that thing! How about that?

dark10x said:
Not necessarily aimed at any specific game, but when discussing the success and failure of a videogame, you must remember that we are discussing the future of those who spent years of their life working on it. It's not "just a game"...

Of course, I suppose Mistwalker really has nothing to worry about as they could succeed on another platform AND MS funded their latest games anyways. :p With smaller developers (lacking in big names), though, it is a real concern. Wouldn't you say?

Well, it's kinda hard to distinguish that you were talking about 'the developers will suffer with such sales' as opposed to 'the game I like isn't selling well'.

I agree that Sakaguchi should be rewarded for his efforts, but that calls into question his decision to develop such a Japanese-esque game for a system the Japanese have flatly rejected thus far.

Snaku

Banned
Ynos Yrros said:

Didn't Sony say they could launch without any software, and they'd still sell out? Arrogant maybe, but they were on the ****ing money. :lol

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
BenjaminBirdie said:
Why is it sad, exactly? Sad like "Oh, 'War At Home' got renewed and 'Arrested Development' got cancelled"? Blue Dragon is clearly Shaggy 2 Dope and will sell really well when it hits the US.

Well...are you really sure there's a market for Japanese RPGs among the US 360 owners though? I mean, I can't really picture many Americans who are into Japanese RPGs to buy a 360 for that genre, so to speak. Especially when the highest-selling games for the platform are titles like Call of Duty 2, Gears of War, GRAW and so on. Are there any examples of typical Japanese games selling well on 360 in the US yet? Or even games with a similar target group and/or style? Kameo is the closest thing I can think of myself, even though it's not really a good example.

Ynos Yrros said:

I'll explain the mentality to you:

Sony fanboys wanting Sony systems. Period.

Don't think for a second that Japan will continue to be "Sony Land" if Sony cannot capitalize with games.

Snaku said:
Didn't Sony say they could launch without any software, and they'd still sell out? Arrogant maybe, but they were on the ****ing money. :lol

No, I think it was something like 5million sold.

Kiriku said:
Well...are you really sure there's a market for Japanese RPGs among the US 360 owners though? I mean, I can't really picture many Americans who are into Japanese RPGs to buy a 360 for that genre, so to speak. Especially when the highest-selling games for the platform are titles like Call of Duty 2, Gears of War, GRAW and so on. Are there any examples of typical Japanese games selling well on 360 in the US yet? Or even games with a similar target group and/or style? Kameo is the closest thing I can think of myself, even though it's not really a good example.

Final Fantasy XI and Enchanted Arms both sold well on 360, and Blue Dragon's been receiving a fair amount of hype and positive word of mouth. I think it'll do fairly well in the west.

Kiriku said:

Does it matter? There is a solid set of 1,000,000 hardcore users who will buy any AAA game for the system (that doesn't come in a box the shape of a horse), no questions asked. We were discussing this on Flashback Monday (PGR3), but it's reaping the benefits of hooking your hardcore launch users with an amazing experience that has managed to sustain itself. The core userbase who digs the 360 experience will buy pretty much anything that's proven itself an exemplary experience, whether its a JRPG, a Snow Shooter, a WRPG, a Zombie Killing Spree or whateverz.

I'd be stunned if it didn't break a mil in the US.

BenjaminBirdie said:
Does it matter? There is a solid set of 1,000,000 hardcore users who will buy any AAA game for the system (that doesn't come in a box the shape of a horse), no questions asked. We were discussing this on Flashback Monday (PGR3), but it's reaping the benefits of hooking your hardcore launch users with an amazing experience that has managed to sustain itself. The core userbase who digs the 360 experience will buy pretty much anything that's proven itself an exemplary experience, whether its a JRPG, a Snow Shooter, a WRPG, a Zombie Killing Spree or whateverz.

I wonder if in three years we'll see threads that say "X title will only sell to XBOX fans" a la the GameCube threads of yesteryear. Sure seems that way.

DeaconKnowledge said:
I wonder if in three years we'll see threads that say "X title will only sell to XBOX fans" a la the GameCube threads of yesteryear. Sure seems that way.

And when Blue Dragon sells as well as Dead Rising the phrase will have no logical coherence and make no tautological sense?

"Meh. Animal House: Special Edition is only going to appeal to DVD fans."

Arsenal

PantherLotus said:
You new around here? That's what we do, SHMUCK (TM). We take a small sample of data and claim doom and gloom for one company or another. If you don't like that shit than GTFO. ITS A SALES THREAD.

The truth is that MS should expect to see its next-gen lead completely lost by March, if not sooner. In every territory.

Sorry Panther, but your marketshare comparisons after a week of sales is ludicrous at best. The fact that you are ridiculing someone for calling you out is assinine - you are the one that needs to GTFO if you can't at least make reasonable analysis of the sales numbers.

dark10x

DeaconKnowledge said:
In three years, XBOX360 and PS3 will be defunct.

Back to 480p we go. :(

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
LiveFromKyoto said:
Final Fantasy XI and Enchanted Arms both sold well on 360, and Blue Dragon's been receiving a fair amount of hype and positive word of mouth. I think it'll do fairly well in the west.

Right right, forgot about those games, thanks.

BenjaminBirdie said:

I dunno, I just think Blue Dragon is straying pretty far from the usual big-selling games on 360 in terms of style and appeal, much more than any other game for the console (except for Viva, I guess) which makes me kind of sceptic. Especially if you're talking 1 million copies sold. But I agree though...at the same time, it seems like 360 owners buy anything new that comes out if it has enough hype, good reviews, hell even good demo versions I bet. Except for some games...like Viva. :(
Anyway, will be interesting for sure to see if Blue Dragon flies in the US (no pun intended, of course).

AntMurda

You people say the stupidest things sometimes. "Zelda was never popular in Japan", "Metroid was never popular in Japan".

Zelda has had several of its games sell over millions of copies, and Metroid had one game sell over a million. I think any million seller qualifies as being popular. You know what a small percent of franchises constantly sell a million????

Top Bottom