• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 04 - 10 Dec (HOLY ****ING CRAP edition)

Barf_the_Mog

powerless or are they? o_O
geox said:
yea, seriously.

I think DQ 9 will reach 4 mil. The DS in monstrously (is that even a word?) popular in Japan.

I'd say that 3 million is a lock for DQ IX in Japan right now. Despite being one of the fastest selling consoles in history (in Japan), I don't know if Enix can sell people the idea of Dragon Quest being on a handheld, online multiplayer, and with a completely new fighting system. If the game does turn out to be great, I could see it surpassing DQ VII in terms of final sales.

GhaleonEB

Barf_the_Mog said:
I'd say that 3 million is a lock for DQ IX in Japan right now. Despite being one of the fastest selling consoles in history (in Japan), I don't know if Enix can sell people the idea of Dragon Quest being on a handheld, online multiplayer, and with a completely new fighting system. If the game does turn out to be great, I could see it surpassing DQ VII in terms of final sales.
It's going to be an intersting experiment. Take one of the most popular - if not the most popular - series in Japan and change the platform (console to handheld), the genre (single-player RPG to four-player action-RPG) and style. Will the entirety of the fanbase follow? If nothing else I'm interested in the results just from as a social experiment.

GhaleonEB said:
It's going to be an intersting experiment. Take one of the most popular - if not the most popular - series in Japan and change the platform (console to handheld), the genre (single-player RPG to four-player action-RPG) and style.
The first two I get, but how is the style a change?

cvxfreak said:
ALTTS tells me that he got this new name and tag because he snitched on the admin that my tag wasn't censored. :lol :lol :lol

Wouldn't it be the admin who gave you the non-censored tag in the first place?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pureauthor said:
Wouldn't it be the admin who gave you the non-censored tag in the first place?
He had the tag before it became a censored word and I guess ALttS thought the admin never noticed.

Barf_the_Mog said:

I agree, but we also need to keep in mind that the game will likely have much lower development costs than VIII. Enix is more likely to focus on the bottom line (hence the whole "largest user base gets DQ" idea).

Does anyone have the shipment figures for EDF3? I bought mine on day 1, but of the shops I visited today, none had any copies, just a SOLD OUT sign. Glad it's doing well. Also, does the J-version of PSU have an English language option? Considering the high number of English speaking people with 360s in Japan, it seems idiotic to remove it.

Axord

parathod said:
I agree, but we also need to keep in mind that the game will likely have much lower development costs than VIII.
Maybe lower overall. But it might actually turn out that squeezing an optimum 3d engine out of the DS will take more dev time/energy than slapping together a standard cel-shading engine for the PS2. The ARPG gameplay tweaking, stylus control exploration, and network code are additional cash-sucks beyond the VIII model.

But again, the total money might still be lower due to the decreased art needs. Less, low detail texture work and models, less music, no need to hire an orchestra...

ethelred

Axord said:
Maybe lower overall. But it might actually turn out that squeezing an optimum 3d engine out of the DS will take more dev time/energy than slapping together a standard cel-shading engine for the PS2. The ARPG gameplay tweaking, stylus control exploration, and network code are additional cash-sucks beyond the VIII model.

But again, the total money might still be lower due to the decreased art needs. Less, low detail texture work and models, less music, no need to hire an orchestra...

They are going to hire an orchestra.

Koichi Sugiyama writes orchestral arrangements for every piece of music he writes and every Dragon Quest game gets a symphonic suite release performed by the London Phil.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ethelred said:

Koichi Sugiyama writes orchestral arrangements for every piece of music he writes and every Dragon Quest game gets a symphonic suite release performed by the London Phil.

And they all ****ing rock and you should buy them.

(not you obviously)

Axord

ethelred said:
That's pretty cool.

However, I have a hard time thinking of that as a game-related expense considering how little of the product is likely to find itself crammed in the cart.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
donny2112 said:
Famitsu Nov 27-Dec 3

1. PS2 Tales of Destiny 256288 / NEW
2. WII Wii Sports 176880 / NEW
3. WII Wii Play 171888 / NEW
4. WII Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess 145068 / NEW
5. GBA Final Fantasy VI Advance 137091 / NEW
6. PS2 Summon Night 4 116761 / NEW
7. NDS Pokemon Diamond/Pearl 100215 / 3372306
8. NDS Jump Ultimate Stars 75810 / 245550
9. NDS Love & Berry DS 66159 / 491539
10. WII Wario Ware: Smooth Moves 63086 / NEW

lonely PS2 games. :(

Damn kirby resurecction o_O See with last two weeks spots...

1. (3 / 7) Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)
2. (10/12) Hoshi no Kirby: Sanjou! Dorocche Dan (NDS, Nintendo)
3. (2 / -) Ryuu Ga Gotoku 2 [Yakuza 2] (PS2, Sega)
4. (*NEU*) Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS (NDS)
5. (*NEU*) Ryuusei no RockMan: Dragon / Leo / Pegasus (NDS, Capcom)
6. (8 / 9) Oshare Majo Love and Berry (DS Collection) (NDS, Sega)
7. (12/14) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)
8. (*NEU*) Wild Arms: The Vth Vanguard (PS2, Sony)
9. (9 / 8) Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS, Nintendo)
10. (5 / 2) Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo)

Btw, Pokemon is split in MC so maybe there won't be a single next gen game in top10. I wonder about how much Wii hardware was there...

king zell

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Damn kirby resurecction o_O See with last two weeks spots...

1. (3 / 7) Pokemon Diamond & Pearl (NDS, Nintendo)
2. (10/12) Hoshi no Kirby: Sanjou! Dorocche Dan (NDS, Nintendo)
3. (2 / -) Ryuu Ga Gotoku 2 [Yakuza 2] (PS2, Sega)
4. (*NEU*) Fushigi no Dungeon: Fuurai no Shiren DS (NDS)
5. (*NEU*) Ryuusei no RockMan: Dragon / Leo / Pegasus (NDS, Capcom)
6. (8 / 9) Oshare Majo Love and Berry (DS Collection) (NDS, Sega)
7. (12/14) New Super Mario Bros. (NDS, Nintendo)
8. (*NEU*) Wild Arms: The Vth Vanguard (PS2, Sony)
9. (9 / 8) Jump Ultimate Stars (NDS, Nintendo)
10. (5 / 2) Wii Sports (Wii, Nintendo)

Btw, Pokemon is split in MC so maybe there won't be a single next gen game in top10. I wonder about how much Wii hardware was there...

where is pokemon wii ?

Dimmuxx

The Amiga Brotherhood
neo2046 said:
Famitsu 11 - 17 Dec
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2006/12/20/103,1166611060,64776,0,0.html

01 NDS pokemon D/P
02 NDS Kirby
03 PS2 Ryu Ga Gotoku 2
04 NDS Fushigi no Dungeon Shiren DS
05 NDS Rockman
06 NDS Love and Berry DS Collection