• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/29 - 2/4

Saoh

Sony has a Gojira??

Konami has one. Capcom has one. Square has several versions of one.

but Sony?

PS3 is currently failing in Japan, deal with it :)

Perhaps is interesting to note that Third Parties are losing Japan as market. With the success of Nintendo DS and Wii, now it is clear that or you do games for them, or you're out of the "expanded" market. Some developers like Square-Enix have changed ship and now they're following the train and doing a lot of money, but some other developer like capcom are doing nothing and they continue to think taht Nintendo's market = kid market and so they're concentrate on occident (this explains the strong Capcom's support for the X360).

This is their decision of course, but they are foolish, because they will lose their national market, that should be the principal for them.

D.Lo

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
This is their decision of course, but they are foolish, because they will lose their national market, that should be the principal for them.
Espescially Konami. Capcom get a lot of flak for their poor business decisions, but Konami's slavish support for the PSP is local suicide.

EDIT: Also, it's like Nintendo has decided they can't trust third parties anymore, so are going it alone. They've invested a lot of money is software and developers over the last few years, and have probably built the infrastructure to take on Japan without ANY 3rd party support.

So now Konami (by far my favourite NES and SNES developer) et all are screwed. They ignored the dragon for years out of petty envy, and now they'll be bitten in the ass by it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few companies have to shut down because they ignored the Wii and DS too long.

D.Lo said:
Espescially Konami. Capcom get a lot of flak for their poor business decisions, but Konami's slavish support for the PSP is local suicide.

EDIT: Also, it's like Nintendo has decided they can't trust third parties anymore, so are going it alone. They've invested a lot of money is software and developers over the last few years, and have probably built the infrastructure to take on Japan without ANY 3rd party support.

So now Konami (by far my favourite NES and SNES developer) et all are screwed. They ignored the dragon for years out of petty envy, and now they'll be bitten in the ass by it. I wouldn't be surprised if a few companies have to shut down because they ignored the Wii and DS too long.
:lol

Nintendo killed the industry, you heard it here again.

D.Lo

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
:lol

Nintendo killed the industry, you heard it here again.
Nah, they killed themselves. Last gen it was mergers - Square, Enix, Namco, Bandai, Sega, Sammy...

At the end of the 16 bit era former huge players disappeared because they misjudged the market (Sunsoft, Ocean in Europe), and some former huge players became small time (Taito).

The Wii could be the next big 'misjudge'.

D.Lo said:
Nah, they killed themselves. Last gen it was mergers - Square, Enix, Namco, Bandai, Sega, Sammy...

At the end of the 16 bit era former huge players disappeared because they misjudged the market (Sunsoft, Ocean in Europe), and some former huge players became small time (Taito).

The Wii could be the next big 'misjudge'.

Square bought Sunsoft. That's where the "soft" in Squaresoft was from.

I agree that some devs are misjudging the importance of the Wii, but I highly doubt it's gonna kill the likes of Konami and Capcom if they don't jump on immediately.

No one has been killed. 3rd parties sold (and sell) amazing in PS2, they are selling much more on handhelds (DS/PSP) than last gen (GBA) and dev costs are very low on those platforms.

Next-gen, some are playing big fish in small pond (Capcom on X360) with good numbers, and PS3-Wii haven't really started yet. Why do you think they won't sell at all?

Just because Nintendo games are in the tops doesn't mean the rest isn't selling.

D.Lo said:

Buh? If I may be so bold as to ask, what slavish support?

DeaconKnowledge said:

I agree that some devs are misjudging the importance of the Wii, but I highly doubt it's gonna kill the likes of Konami and Capcom if they don't jump on immediately.

:lol I didn't know that. So Square -> Squaresoft -> Square-Enix. What's the next ?
Squaretendo

jarrod

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
:lol I didn't know that. So Square -> Squaresoft -> Square-Enix. What's the next ?
Squaretendo
Taito?

I don't think Square bought Sunsoft though (they're still around... barely).

D.Lo said:

Actually I feel like this too. Its llike Nintendo ain't goinna bow to nobody, they invented this shit, they're one of the all time Gods of gaming, with a fresh new hat. So they're not going to go chase other 3rd party's and beg, they have pride, they're gonna let them be, while they have the entire top 30 Nintendo 1st party. Its gonna hit them until they financially realise that they can't make another game, and have to ask Nintendo for sponsorship, in return for a stake. The only humble one in this whole incident, is SE, they admitted through their decisions, that yes its time Nintendo became more significant and "we will help them on this journey".

About the "Nintendo don't trust them anymore", how can they. After making them what they are today, they went and ****ed off to the competition, during Nintendo's hard times. It was like kicking them while they were down, from then-to-be-known as allies. So now Nintendo will never let themselves be dependant, they want to be self sufficient. And let them know, they are not needed. And if anything has proved that, it'd be DSL.

D.Lo

DeaconKnowledge said:
Uh, what? Squaresoft was just the US version of the company. Sunsoft still exists as-is today:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunsoft

http://www.sun-denshi.co.jp/soft/

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
No one has been killed. 3rd parties sold (and sell) amazing in PS2, they are selling much more on handhelds (DS/PSP) than last gen (GBA) and dev costs are very low on those platforms.

Next-gen, some are playing big fish in small pond (Capcom on X360) with good numbers, and PS3-Wii haven't really started yet. Why do you think they won't sell at all?

Just because Nintendo games are in the tops doesn't mean the rest isn't selling.
I'm not saying anyone won't sell necessarily, but IF they mid-judge these things they could end up in trouble IN JAPAN. Say Capcom becomes a de-facto exclusive 360 developer because that's the only place they get sales. They'll lose their brand value in Japan.

As for Konami, if they take as long to get on the Wii as they have the DS (Apart from Castlevania) they could be harmed. Stuff like the PSP Castlevania shows they still don't get it in the handheld space.

Pureauthor said:
Buh? If I may be so bold as to ask, what slavish support?
MGS:pO, Silent Hill, the castlevania game everyone wants on PSP, well developed Winning 11 etc.

DS gets kiddie anime Castlevania (which I still love, BTW) and...

D.Lo said:
MGS:pO, Silent Hill, the castlevania game everyone wants on PSP, well developed Winning 11 etc.

Let's break this up properly:

MGS:pO: Could not be done on the DS regardless, and has achieved pretty good sales both in US and JPN. Konami has no reason to be displeased with this game.

Silent Hill: This game still exists? Regardless, handhelds don't do survival horror well (PSP does it better, but that's not saying much.

Rondo of Blood RM: Again, another game that couldn't be done on the DS (SotN + RoBx2). You'd rather they delay it for another generation or so?

And as for the DS...

'kiddie anime Castlevania': Oh, I see. Another one whining about the art. *eyeroll*

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Rondo of Blood RM: Again, another game that couldn't be done on the DS (SotN + RoBx2). You'd rather they delay it for another generation or so?
Justa nitpick, but SotN and RoB could be easily redone on DS. As a bonus, a potential RoB remake would've likely been sprite based.

jarrod said:
Justa nitpick, but SotN and RoB could be easily redone on DS. As a bonus, a potential RoB remake would've likely been sprite based.

Yeah, well, I was talking about the games as they were. *shrug*

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Yeah, well, I was talking about the games as they were. *shrug*
Yeah, it'd be real tough losing 6 lines of resolution for SotN and doing some basic audio compression. :p

Konami likely could've squeezed both RoB and SotN on a larger DS card... or if they wanted remakes, gone with seperate releases even. PSP obviously makes things simpler, and I do think Konami took the right approach (new games for DS, desirable compilation for PSP) but it's not like Dracula X Chronicles would've been impossible on DS.

I still think they should try to give AC!D another shot on DS actually.

D.Lo

Pureauthor said:
MGS:pO: Could not be done on the DS regardless, and has achieved pretty good sales both in US and JPN. Konami has no reason to be displeased with this game.
Millions of sales for MGS3 down to about 400,000 (lat time I checked) for PO?

And it hardly matters if 'it couldn't be done on DS'. You don't make games 'because you can'. If it didn't make much money, it was a bad investment, and the funding could have been better used elsewhere. decisions like that hurt a company's prospects.

Silent Hill: This game still exists? Regardless, handhelds don't do survival horror well (PSP does it better, but that's not saying much.
Agreed.

We've gone over this. Rondo is 43 Megs if the audio is at compressed. SoTN on 360 is 96 Megs. Both games can easily be run on the DS resolution (Sotn would lose only eight lines of pixels). The 3D remake looks like balls.

'kiddie anime Castlevania': Oh, I see. Another one whining about the art. *eyeroll*
Ok, I'll leave that alone. I'll also take back 'slavish'.

D.Lo said:
Millions of sales for MGS3 down to about 400,000 (lat time I checked) for PO?

And it hardly matters if 'it couldn't be done on DS'. You don't make games 'because you can'. If it didn't make much money, it was a bad investment, and the funding could have been better used elsewhere. decisions like that hurt a company's prospects.

You're forgetting that MGS:pO was announced before the DS truly cemented it's lead.

And 400,000 sales is a rather respectable number.

Now, as to your contention of company 'utilizing resources well', the same could be said of any company in the world that doesn't throw 100% resources behind a system that they will see the most returns on. It's hardly a unique trait, and like I mentioned before elsewhere, it's this that makes possible the creation of new IPs and/or avenues.

We've gone over this. Rondo is 43 Megs if the audio is at compressed. SoTN on 360 is 96 Megs. Both games can easily be run on the DS resolution (Sotn would lose only eight lines of pixels). The 3D remake looks like balls.

The 3D remake 'looking like balls' isn't really a fair criticism. It is in pre-alpha. And it's not the DS resolution I'm worried about. Unless you wish to be paying a premium for an extra-large flash cart, you wouldn't be able to squeeze those 3 games into a cartridge.

Oh, it would be and will be. Truly horrible -- it'll mark the end of the genre. Didn't you read the game's announcement thread?

*hangs up his Slime jacket*

methane47

D.Lo said:

Dang so you're saying that Konami should just up and give up support of the PSP to support the DS... when DS 3rd Party sales are crap as well?

If most of the sales of the DS games are from (edit: non traditional) games... and Nintendo games.. why do you think that There would be a huge market for firstly Hardcore games.. And secondly games that would be immensly gimped from the powerloss of PSP > DS..?

Chances are you will never see a true version of Metal Gear on the DS or Wii.. because of the limitations of those systems... Same with Final Fantasy... Same with Devil May Cry... That doesn't mean that companies dont want to support the DS or Wii.. but it rather means that they are faced with a huge dilema... Gimp their games and port to DS (which would probably turn away fans) OR create new IPs to put on the DS... which good god is another huge risk...

I think because of how the DS was made has made a huge challenge for Game Companies because of the huge chasm inbetween systems... It will take time... but eventually Konami will find their place on the DS... trust them to have plenty of ideas up their sleeves..

jarrod

Banned
Pureauthor said:
The 3D remake 'looking like balls' isn't really a fair criticism. It is in pre-alpha. And it's not the DS resolution I'm worried about. Unless you wish to be paying a premium for an extra-large flash cart, you wouldn't be able to squeeze those 3 games into a cartridge.
PSP games carry a premium over DS games anyway though... I say bring on the 256MB cards. ;)

DeaconKnowledge said:
Sorry, my mistake.

Sunsoft was just responsible for releasing certain square franchises. No buyout.

To the original point, Ocean actually was acquired by another developer. They became Infogrames UK (which turned to Atari UK of course).

ethelred

methane47 said:
Dang so you're saying that Konami should just up and give up support of the PSP to support the DS... when DS 3rd Party sales are crap as well?

If most of the sales of the DS games are from non-game games... and Nintendo games.. why do you think that There would be a huge market for firstly Hardcore games.. And secondly games that would be immensly gimped from the powerloss of PSP > DS..?

You deserve a medal for your insightful analysis. This post was spot-on accurate; thank you for saying what needs to be said in a Media Create thread.

I really don't see why Konami should up and move the MGS series from the PSP to the DS when the PSP series has proven to be successful. Especially since they have all of the PSP resources allocated.

fresquito

DeaconKnowledge said:
I really don't see why Konami should up and move the MGS series from the PSP to the DS when the PSP series has proven to be successful. Especially since they have all of the PSP resources allocated.
Maybe because it could go beyond being "just" succesful :)

methane47 said:

Pst... in December, USA, a Konami handheld game beat another Konami handheld game in sales. The victor was not MGS:pO

If most of the sales of the DS games are from non-game games... and Nintendo games.. why do you think that There would be a huge market for firstly Hardcore games.. And secondly games that would be immensly gimped from the powerloss of PSP > DS..?

What.

Because the VAST MAJORITY of games that have had previous iterations on other handhelds have seen boosts in their sales as compared to sales of their previous iterations?

Because maybe, just maybe, Nintendo is succeeding in their creed of turning nongamers into gamers?

Chances are you will never see a true version of Metal Gear on the DS or Wii.. because of the limitations of those systems... Same with Final Fantasy... Same with Devil May Cry... That doesn't mean that companies dont want to support the DS or Wii.. but it rather means that they are faced with a huge dilema... Gimp their games and port to DS (which would probably turn away fans) OR create new IPs to put on the DS... which good god is another huge risk...

The Wii is stronger than the PS2. What you are telling me is that MGS2, MGS3 (and heck, MGS 1), along with FFX, FFXII, DMC1, and DMC3 are not 'true versions' of the games?

And this is especially laughable when the sequel to FFXII is coming out on the DS.

I think because of how the DS was made has made a huge challenge for Game Companies because of the huge chasm inbetween systems... It will take time... but eventually Konami will find their place on the DS... trust them to have plenty of ideas up their sleeves..

Konami seems to be slipping into the Wii just fine with Elebits and Dewey. And as for the DS, they've pretty much got a good thing going on - traditional gameplay enhanced by the new features available, not necessarily a revolution. (See: Castlevania, Lunar Knights)

fresquito said:
Maybe because it could go beyond being "just" succesful :)

But would that be a guarantee? To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Konami was scared to gamble with MGS on DS because of Twin Snakes' poor performance, despite the fact that it was a remake and poorly promoted.

D.Lo

Pureauthor said:
You're forgetting that MGS:pO was announced before the DS truly cemented it's lead.

And 400,000 sales is a rather respectable number.

Now, as to your contention of company 'utilizing resources well', the same could be said of any company in the world that doesn't throw 100% resources behind a system that they will see the most returns on. It's hardly a unique trait, and like I mentioned before elsewhere, it's this that makes possible the creation of new IPs and/or avenues.
True, and I'm not saying they shouldn't have made that game either. But if they continue to ignore the biggest platform they could be in trouble.

The 3D remake 'looking like balls' isn't really a fair criticism. It is in pre-alpha.
Everyone keeps saying words like 'beta' 'pre-beta' 'pre-alpha' around about criticism of that game.

If it's that bad they shouldn't have shown it. It may get better, but we can only criticise what's been shown. Every dev says 'my game will look 1000 times better when finished', and it's not a get out of jail free card.

And it's not the DS resolution I'm worried about. Unless you wish to be paying a premium for an extra-large flash cart, you wouldn't be able to squeeze those 3 games into a cartridge.
But that wasn't what you said. You said 'it couldn't be done'.

And here in Australia, PSP games cost a lot more then DS games, so this argument doesn't fly either.

jarrod

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Same could've been said for Castlevania on DS... personally, I think IP expansion's usually a good thing though. Let's get CV and MG games on as many platforms as possible... as I mentioned earlier, AC!D would make something of a natural fit for DS and nice way to expand the franchise non-competitively beyond just PSP.

D.Lo said:
True, and I'm not saying they shouldn't have made that game either. But if they continue to ignore the biggest platform they could be in trouble.

Ignoring? Arguably the best DS game of the month comes from Konami.

But that wasn't what you said. You said 'it couldn't be done'.

And here in Australia, PSP games cost a lot more then DS games, so this argument doesn't fly either.

My apologies, then, if my wording was a bit too strong.

And yeah, PSP games cost on average 20+ dollars more in my currency. Sucks. :(

adding to previous post.

If every Japanese 3rd party right now, decided to go have a big fat orgy right now along with PSP, and then record it on UMD, and watch it on another PSP, it wouldn't have made a single difference. Firstly its porn, so nobody would pay for it, and secoondly it ain't DS compatible.

Nintendo, if they actually had to, would just release there own version of orgy's. They probably have a SSB:DS in the works, somewhere. Even if it is only a demo. That thing would hit 10 mil ww, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, just like Pokemans will. And as a lot of you know when a boom happens, it just gets more and more intense, well the DS boom is still very early on, I have no doubt, its going to bitch slap 100mill like cheap whore with more STD's then she can count. And all this with what; MKDS, NCMB, Pokeman, AC, BT, BT2, BBA, ET, GKT/CST, Nintendogs, SM64, Kirby, AWDS, MPH, Clubhouse games, SPPeach, Wario etc etv. Hardly any 3rd party's have made a dent in this record. Few EA's, SE's.

jarrod said:
Same could've been said for Castlevania on DS... personally, I think IP expansion's usually a good thing though. Let's get CV and MG games on as many platforms as possible... as I mentioned earlier, AC!D would make something of a natural fit for DS and nice way to expand the franchise non-competitively beyond just PSP.

I agree that it could be beneficial to Konami to expand, it's just the up and moving from one to the other I have a problem with. It thought that's what you were implying.

the thoroughbred said:
adding to previous post.

If every Japanese 3rd party right now, decided to go have a big fat orgy right now along with PSP, and then record it on UMD, and watch it on another PSP, it wouldn't have made a single difference. Firstly its porn, so nobody would pay for it, and secoondly it ain't DS compatible.

Nintendo, if they actually had to, would just release there own version of orgy's. They probably have a SSB:DS in the works, somewhere. Even if it is only a demo. That thing would hit 10 mil ww, without a shadow of a doubt in my mind, just like Pokemans will. And as a lot of you know when a boom happens, it just gets more and more intense, well the DS boom is still very early on, I have no doubt, its going to bitch slap 100mill like cheap whore with more STD's then she can count. And all this with what; MKDS, NCMB, Pokeman, AC, BT, BT2, BBA, ET, GKT/CST, Nintendogs, SM64, Kirby, AWDS, MPH, Clubhouse games, SPPeach, Wario etc etv. Hardly any 3rd party's have made a dent in this record. Few EA's, SE's.

You've somehow managed to simulate a marshland using only words.

Not to say that there isn't any good points inside there, it's just that it's going to be extremely difficult for one to dig through that swamp and unearth those good points.

thefro

methane47 said:
Chances are you will never see a true version of Metal Gear on the DS or Wii.. because of the limitations of those systems... .

Yes, we all know a Nintendo system could never handle a Metal Gear game.

top-10-tuesday-worst-in-game-quotes-20060418064007443.jpg

D.Lo

jarrod said:
the problem with doing that with Castlevania is that every entry is a full entry, there are no spin offs.

Pureauthor said:
Is it really that good?

Top Bottom