• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 1/29 - 2/4

One thing I've been wondering is why this doesn't apply to games like Mario Kart DS? Is it the online play, or just that there's still no better racer on the DS to replace it? In that case, nothing has come out that would steal Dragon Quest Monsters Joker's thunder, I don't think, so sales shouldn't slowdown (other than perhaps the 2nd hand effect).

Taurus

dabra said:
Famitsu top 10 (2/5 -2/11)

1 (PS3) Virtua Fighter 5
2 (WII) Wii Sports
3 (NDS) Pokemom Diamond&Pearl
4 (WII) Wi Play
5 (PS2) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
6 (NDS) More Brain Age
7 (NDS) New Super Mario Bros.
8 (NDS) Luminous Arc
9 (NDS) Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On
10 (PS2) J-League Pro Soccer 5
So Wii Sports doesn't break a million yet? What is it, like 990k or something like that?

Oh btw, just wait for Gundam Musou, you'll see!

peter_pumpkinhead said:
One thing I've been wondering is why this doesn't apply to games like Mario Kart DS? Is it the online play, or just that there's still no better racer on the DS to replace it? In that case, nothing has come out that would steal Dragon Quest Monsters Joker's thunder, I don't think, so sales shouldn't slowdown (other than perhaps the 2nd hand effect).

RPGs simply don't have the replay value that other genres enjoy. Being that they are quite long, have a major focus on story, and usually play out the same way each time, they just aren't well-suited to replay. Everyone rushes out and buys them, finishes the story, trades em in, and waits for the next one. This creates a large pool of used games for people who might be interested in the game in the future to purchase from.

Games in other genres tend to be keepers due to the replayability, and so the used game pool is smaller for them, resulting in more people having to buy it new.

ethelred

Christian said:
Because people will only wait so long before they give up/move on to a new game. Saw it happen with FFIII.

The same FFIII that popped back into the top 30 again last week, five and a half months after its release?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
ethelred said:
The same FFIII that popped back into the top 30 again last week, five and a half months after its release?
Yeah, it's disgusting how poorly it's doing.

Segata Sanshiro said:
RPGs simply don't have the replay value that other genres enjoy. Being that they are quite long, have a major focus on story, and usually play out the same way each time, they just aren't well-suited to replay. Everyone rushes out and buys them, finishes the story, trades em in, and waits for the next one. This creates a large pool of used games for people who might be interested in the game in the future to purchase from.

Games in other genres tend to be keepers due to the replayability, and so the used game pool is smaller for them, resulting in more people having to buy it new.

That makes sense, and it also explains a bit why Pokemon never stops selling since it has amazing replayability (in the sense that it never seems to end). That and the target demographic.

I would think the online component would give DQMJ a bit more replayability, and thus slightly better legs than the average rpg though.

Hmm.... you know I could askwhat DS owners are buying. 170k for the week but the top game < 50k

But then once we get the Top 30, I won't need to say that anymore.

cank stoochie said:
wait for gundam musou :)

3 Weeks ago everyone was saying "wait for VF5"....

Suprising that GTASA is still in the top 10 - I figured it'd be much lower. Looks like it'll get around 25k for the week.

The big question is how well the the current gen (Wii, PS3 and 360) do. Wii and 360 should go down (but how much?) and PS3 should go up.

I don't think any title can boost the PS3 to reach consistant Wii level sales this console race...except for non-games w/ch Sony doesn't have!

Something tells me Jet Impulse isn't going to place in the top 15, or maybe even 20. I've been playing it, and it's a pretty standard, unremarkable dogfighting game. Makes me wonder why Nintendo even made it.

PSP should be slightly above last year at this time, just like it was last week. I think it's going to fall off badly the weeks after Monster Hunter 2, but it should be flying high the next couple of weeks.

Mr Killemgood said:
3 Weeks ago everyone was saying "wait for VF5"....

Suprising that GTASA is still in the top 10 - I figured it'd be much lower. Looks like it'll get around 25k for the week.

The big question is how well the the current gen (Wii, PS3 and 360) do. Wii and 360 should go down (but how much?) and PS3 should go up.

I think that for the X360 the "down" or "up" is relative at this point.
What about the PS3: if VF5 hasn't had a big effect on his sales, I don't see Gundam or other games annonced so far for 2007 to change something. In contrast, PS3 needs a price drop, and some big guns like Final Fantasy or Devil May Cry or White Knights. Don't take my post in the wrong sense: PS3's games are coming and a lot, but too late: we speaks about 2008 (even for GT5, Afrika, or MGS4) and this without delays. What will do Sony during this time ? That's the big question. I think that if the machine will continue to sell like that for all 2007, it will be very difficult to explose sales in 2008 like the PS2.

Of course I'm talking about Japan, because in occident, the situation is different.

You have to remember though with the Wii, nintendo has been flooding the market, while PS3 is limited by supply. Though its sales probably wouldn't be much higher than the wii without the supply constraint.

Man of Knowledge said:
You have to remember though with the Wii, nintendo has been flooding the market, while PS3 is limited by supply. Though its sales probably wouldn't be much higher than the wii without the supply constraint.

Wow...

Man of Knowledge said:

Wha?

Baby Milo

dabra said:
Famitsu top 10 (2/5 -2/11)

1 (PS3) Virtua Fighter 5
2 (WII) Wii Sports
3 (NDS) Pokemom Diamond&Pearl
4 (WII) Wi Play
5 (PS2) Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
6 (NDS) More Brain Age
7 (NDS) New Super Mario Bros.
8 (NDS) Luminous Arc
9 (NDS) Harvest Moon: The Island I Grew Up On
10 (PS2) J-League Pro Soccer 5

hey number 1 spot thats not bad at all

Man of Knowledge said:

73225336gh027_north_carolin.widec.jpg

Man of Knowledge said:

Ehm, perhaps you were in some black holes in last months, but the PS3 is availaible in both Japan and USA. It is not a problem of supply anymore and this since some weeks after launch. No, I'm not joking.

Fuzzy

Man of Knowledge said:
Man of Knowledge
Not Found Here

Taurus

Man of Knowledge said:
"Man of Knowledge"? Seriously?

JavyOO7

Man of Knowledge said:

kutaragi_old.jpg

Jokeropia

Haha, I'll put this in bold to make it more noticable:

PS3 is readily available and it's (lack of) sales are due to low demand.

Wii is completely sold out and it's sales are restricted only by supply.

Man of Knowledge said:

There's no way you're not a joke character.

Il Comodino

sorry about his english
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think that for the X360 the "down" or "up" is relative at this point.
What about the PS3: if VF5 hasn't had a big effect on his sales, I don't see Gundam or other games annonced so far for 2007 to change something. .

I believe the contrary, more games and better games = more sales!

the price point is another problem.

donny2112

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Is the PSP doing better or worse then last year in term of Hardware's sales ?

JoshuaJSlone has a really nice website where you can graph just about any hardware number vs. any other hardware number.

And lookie there!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Man of Knowledge said:

You're right. Wayyyyyyyyyy to many Wiis, the Japanese are practically tripping over them when they walk in the streets. Think of the pedestrians Nintendo :(

Man of Knowledge said:

History has shown us that flooding anything causes death, leaving that which was not flooded behind. After the Wii kills the non gamers only PS3 buyers will be left, so I agree with you, unless of course Nintendo releases Ark Building Training

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Man of Knowledge said:

This plus your "Wii is selling poorly in Japan" topic you started the other day have you marked now.

cvxfreak

apujanata said:
Welcome to GAF, sasimirobot. Assuming you are the same poster as the one with the same id in gameFAQs.

FYI, CVX's has visited Japan at least three times (AFAIK), and he has visited Jonnyram (you do remember him, right) ?
I know that CVX does not have a girlfriend yet, so you must pardon his ignorance that LV (and other expensive lady bag brand) are not from US.

CVX, you pick the ugliest MJ picture you can find, right ? :(

I know Louis Vuitton is French. In fact I wear Louis Vuitton whenever I visit Japan and actually have a wallet! :lol I was just trying to emphasize non-Asian products succeeding in Japan.

Joe Molotov

Man of Knowledge said:

The hell?

cvxfreak

Man of Knowledge said:

PS3 is not sold out in Japan. At all.

Wii is sold out in Japan. Every single time.

Fuzzy

cvxfreak said:
PS3 is not sold out in Japan. At all.

Wii is sold out in Japan. Every single time.
First you lie about Louis Vuitton being American and now this?

Man of Knowledge said:

_39031739_bully203_body.jpg

_39665247_mentalhealth203.jpg

woman_distressed.jpg

dealing-angry-customers.jpg

PEM1014.jpg

banned.jpg

I was right about VF5 50k...but I missed Wii Sports outselling it, maybe in MC chart :D

GTASA seems to be doing good, with around 30k it'd be doing like VC so 400k should be plausible. Btw, ToD2 versus Layton this week...I hope they both sell a lot!

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Wyndstryker said:
Is(will?) this the first time a PS3 game visited the top 10?

First time in the number one spot. Media Create could be different, but I assume it won't be.

Taurus

Luckyman said:
So BOMBA at number one.. Japan am dead. :lol
Umm... no. Just slower week. There are few big(ger) releases coming up which will make the list look like normal again (= normal as in DS all the way, couple of Wii games, PS3 & Xbox 360 games nowhere to be found). :)

Top Bottom