• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

JoshuaJSlone said:
Same time period.

2WEEK2

Would you have any data of the PS2s marketshare in the same dates as these?

Edit: Oops I meant same period not same dates, eg November of 2003 or 2004.

PSP sales are almost as much as PS2+PS3+Wii+360 combined.

It's almost like console gaming is dead in JP, and it's all hand helds all the time.

BishopLamont said:
Would you have any data of the PS2s marketshare in the same dates as these?

Edit: Oops I meant same period not same dates, eg November of 2003 or 2004.
Yes and no. When I went looking for the older stuff on Famitsu's site I ended up with a lot of gaps, but I've still got most of 2003 on. However, apparently at that time their software pie was based on just the top 30 rather than all software, so it's not nearly as useful; it should generally give the more successful systems an even greater advantage, since they're likely to have a much greater number of titles in any arbitrary Top 10/30/50 list. Some weeks, a system could end up not listed at all... that was usually the case for Xbox. I'm not sure on the exact date of change, but I believe it was in 2005 sometime.

That said, here are a few sample weeks.

2003-10-27
GCN: 7.9
GBA: 8.6
PS1: 2.3
PS2: 81.2

2003-11-17
GCN: 32.4
GBA: 16.0
PS2: 49.7
Xbox: 1.9

2004-11-08
GCN: 4.5
GBA: 44.3
PS2: 45.4
Xbox: 5.8

2004-11-22
GCN: 3.7
GBA: 5.3
PS2: 91.0

As you can see, with the old method there was a lot more fluctuation since the lesser stuff didn't count.

If anyone wants to take a further look, here it is in OpenOffice.org format, or here it is in comma-separated values.

Anyone know when the 360 Arcade($280 sku)was released in NA? Judging from Amazon.com rankings, it's either MS forgot to market it and noone knows it exists or its the new tard pack.

RBH

titiklabingapat said:
Anyone know when the 360 Arcade($280 sku)was released in NA? Judging from Amazon.com rankings, it's either MS forgot to market it and noone knows it exists or its the new tard pack.

It released on Oct. 23rd. MS pretty much put no marketing behind it, but there were quite a few of them when I went to Best Buy a week ago (more Arcades than Premiums in the store, actually), oddly enough.

Jonnyram said:
What do you mean, "almost"?
PORTABLES VS HOME CONSOLES

First, hardware from Media Create. DS launch through this week. Portables own. In this whole period only a couple early Wii weeks pushed home consoles past portables.
20071102mchardware.png

Second, software from Famitsu's pie. Home consoles fare better here, though it's been trending toward portables too. The effect of pre-DS-launch PS2 owners, I suppose. Actually it seems console software is on a bit of a rebound since PS3/Wii launch as well; fewer 20% weeks, more 40+% weeks.
20071102famsoftware.png

Hi, kids. I'm Segata Sanshiro, of 1997 TV's SEGA Saturn commericals.

We've had a lot of fun today, but I'm not here to talk to you about SEGA Saturn. I'm here to talk about a serious issue.

"Bullshit" (Fulluvus Poopius) affects roughly one in three gamers posting on message boards today. Gamers suffering from this serious malady are prone to fits of delusion, paranoia, and often see and relate the world in an entirely different way from reality.

Let's talk to my young friend here, a brave fighter who suffers from "Bullshit". Ynos, say hi to the kids at home.
Ynos Yrros said:
It's not like there was some amazing softare coming out this week that didn't sell. All the good games sell well on PSP, which was proven oh so many times already.

:(

As you can see, young Ynos seems to be painfully unaware of the completely shit sales of fantastic titles such as Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Irregular Hunter X, RockmanRockman, Crush, and many others. He will undoubtedly be unable to see the poor sales of Dracula X Chronicles.

In Ynos' world, these games, along with every other good game released on the PSP, have enjoyed spectacular sales, selling well, and disappointing few if any people in terms of financial outcome and future sequels.

Run along now, Ynos. You can get a candy from Ms. Ulala off-stage. Good boy.

Doctors are still researching the possible causes of "Bullshit". Some say it is caused by damage to the prefrontal cortex, an area of the brain critical to long-term planning and perspective-taking.

Others speculate that it is an apraxia of the oculomotor region of the brain, resulting in an inability to properly utilize the muscles in the eye to coordinate on sales data inconsistent with one's hypothesis.

Still others believe it may find its roots in a sort of retrograde amnesia, causing the person to not recall important details from the past, with the brain filling in information as it sees fit.

Whatever the cause, it's clear that this terrible dysfunction deeply affects the lives of not only the victims suffering from it, but their families, friends, and colleagues as well. More research is needed to find the cause and the cure to "Bullshit".

This research costs money, and that's where you come in. If you want to help young Ynos and others like him live a normal life, please donate generously to:

The Bullshit Cure Foundation
Box 485
Winnipeg, MB
R2X 0T9

Donations are accepted in the form of money orders and certified cheques.

Please... give generously, to help Ynos, those like Ynos, and the future of all of us.

I'm Segata Sanshiro for the Bullshit Cure Foundation. Thanks for your time. Please enjoy the rest of your program.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata, not that you give two shits, but you are my favorite poster on this board. I might buy a SEGA title this Christmas just because of you.

RBH

Segata Sanshiro said:

We've had a lot of fun today, but I'm not here to talk to you about SEGA Saturn. I'm here to talk about a serious issue.

"Bullshit" (Fulluvus Poopius) affects roughly one in three gamers posting on message boards today. Gamers suffering from this serious malady are prone to fits of delusion, paranoia, and often see and relate the world in an entirely different way from reality.

Let's talk to my young friend here, a brave fighter who suffers from "Bullshit". Ynos, say hi to the kids at home.

As you can see, young Ynos seems to be painfully unaware of the completely shit sales of fantastic titles such as Ultimate Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Irregular Hunter X, RockmanRockman, Crush, and many others. He will undoubtedly be unable to see the poor sales of Dracula X Chronicles.

In Ynos' world, these games, along with every other good game released on the PSP, have enjoyed spectacular sales, selling well, and disappointing few if any people in terms of financial outcome and future sequels.

Doctors are still researching the possible causes of "Bullshit". Some say it is caused by damage to the prefrontal cortex, an area of the brain critical to long-term planning and perspective-taking.

Others speculate that it is an apraxia of the oculomotor region of the brain, resulting in an inability to properly utilize the muscles in the eye to coordinate on sales data inconsistent with one's hypothesis.

Still others believe it may find its roots in a sort of retrograde amnesia, causing the person to not recall important details from the past, with the brain filling in information as it sees fit.

Whatever the cause, it's clear that this terrible dysfunction deeply affects the lives of not only the victims suffering from it, but their families, friends, and colleagues as well. More research is needed to find the cause and the cure to "Bullshit".

This research costs money, and that's where you come in. If you want to help young Ynos and others like him live a normal life, please donate generously to:

Box 485
Winnipeg, MB
R2X 0T9

Please... give generously, to help Ynos, those like Ynos, and the future of all of us.

I'm Segata Sanshiro for the Bullshit Cure Foundation. Thanks for your time. Please enjoy the rest of your program.

kaneklapae4wf6.gif

Segata Sanshiro said:

Box 485
Winnipeg, MB
R2X 0T9

I hope this is not your (real) address.

Dayuuum man, you must truly love me to create such an amazing post dedicated solely to my post. Wow.

I was kinda talking about recent titles, like FFCC, MGSPO, Gundam, and some others. I didn't really follow Crush, but it's a new puzzle game, which wasn't really expected to beat anything out in sales. It wouldn't sell much on PS2 either. GnG, a remake, while awesome for hardcore gamers, isn't as appealng to the crowds. RockmanRockman nad Irregular X are the same deal. Castlevania is a remake, and exactly how well did the series do in past?

I probably should write "games that are expected to sell well" instead of "good games", but prospect of typing even one word more on this laptop keyboard is too dark for my fingers.

Lightning

Banned
I don't understand how the PSP can be selling quite well in the hardware yet Crisis Core falls off the chartz.... Fuck you Japan. I want CC to get 1mil....

PS3 continues to climb. We shall see if the 360 price drop + AC6 + bundles can top the PS3 sales next week. Should be quite interesting.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm just a spokesperson trying to fulfill my community service hours, Ynos. You have to talk to Dr. Falz if you have questions, you know that.
He always drops a pen, I always try to reach it........

Lightning said:
I don't understand how the PSP can be selling quite well in the hardware yet Crisis Core falls off the chartz.... Fuck you Japan. I want CC to get 1mil....
Well, it's only down to #31, and I'm surprised it's that high more than a month after release. Final Fantasy games usually aren't known for their legs.

Vinnk

Lightning said:

That's easy. There are more used copies than new at most game stores. They also sell for quite a bit less (because there are so many). People are buying those.. or downloading it.

Same thing happened to Dragon Quest Swords and almost any other hardcore RPG. The otaku will buy it new on day one, everyone else will buy it used a week or so later. Kinda sad really.

Wonderdave said:
Home is going to be the mother of all graphical chat rooms plus Home does something that XBL matchmaking can't do, it allows for a social element when shoosing who to play with online. Instead of playing ranked matches with random strangers you can meet and greet before entering a match which should help with avoiding playing with people online that you would avoid in real life. Even virtual accountability can have a highly positive effect on civility.
Wait, judging by your post Home replaces in-game lobbies. That would be the stupidest idea ever, hope it's not true. When I get a PS3 I sure don't want to fire up home if I want to play online.

Ynos Yrros said:
People think that myspace is useless, or youtube, or iTunes, it doesn't stop them from being some of the best things on the web.
Are you seriously comparing the people who think those sites (apps) are useless to the ones thinking home is useless?

Jonnyram said:
Wow, the SDF found this thread quickly when Vinnk mentioned Home! :O
Scary, ain't it? But you'll hurt their feelings if you call them SDF, true story.

Ynos Yrros said:
It's not like there was some amazing softare coming out this week that didn't sell. All the good games sell well on PSP, which was proven oh so many times already.
PSP software selling well depends on your definition of "selling well" I guess. Loco Roco was expected to do well and failed misserably, price collapse and everything included. Acid series bombed as well. PO did OK though, pretty much in-line with PS2. Tekken tanked. Just of the top of my head.

The only games that did really well are CC and the MH series.

Lobster

Banned
Whats coming out next week other then Mario? DW6?

I predict..

Mario-500k
DW6-100k

Mario will have big and long legs. Will reach 1 million in 3 weeks. DW6 will reach 200k, outside of top 10 though.

/end prediction

jman2050

Segata Sanshiro said:

Box 485
Winnipeg, MB
R2X 0T9

This post needs to be printed, framed, and sent to Segata's house to hold as a trophy for all time.

The Abominable Snowman said:
I thought Tekken did very well worldwide. Didn't Namco send out a PR saying it passed the million mark worldwide?
We are talking japanese sales. Going by Moor-Angol's site: Tekken DR: 54.764 (fw) 47,73% 114.734 (LTD).

Lobster said:
Whats coming out next week other then Mario? DW6?

I predict..

Mario-500k
DW6-100k

Mario will have big and long legs. Will reach 1 million in 3 weeks. DW6 will reach 200k, outside of top 10 though.

/end prediction
So a main entry in the DW series on a bigger user-base will do worse than a Gundam spin-off? OK!

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
damn it won`t even surpass sms first week with those sales.... -.-

Top Bottom