• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

SPEA

donny2112 said:
Japan-GameCharts:
Super Mario 64 - 1,639,914
Super Mario Sunshine - 789,989

homerdiscostu.jpg

"Did you know that Mario 3D console sales are down 52% between the previous two systems? If these trends continue... AAY!"
Haha amazing.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
donny2112 said:
This and Smash Bros. I always wondered how sequels to GameCube games were supposed to draw in the PS2 hardcore...

Along with other things, many of them were meant to help draw the large lapsed gamer demographic back into home console gaming(a lot of them from the Famicom age), not necessarily the PS2 hardcore.

donny2112 said:
Japan-GameCharts:
Super Mario 64 - 1,639,914
Super Mario Sunshine - 789,989
SM64 only sold that many copies in Japan during its lifetime? Didn't it sell like 11 million worldwide? That would be a ridiculously low share for the Japanese market...

birdchili

Azelover said:
Along with other things, many of them were meant to help draw the large lapsed gamer demographic back into home console gaming(a lot of them from the Famicom age), not necessarily the PS2 hardcore.
yup. i don't think that nintendo really thought they'd be in a position to make a serious play for the ps2-owning hardcore. they prepped three general targets:

gamecube hardcore: sequels to gamecube mascot games
"new audiences": wii ___ series.
lapsed gamers: virtual console nostalgia angle.

obviously this oversimplifies, and there's lots of overlap, but the lack of a strong new ip targeted to the hardcore, or any rpgs at all really suggest that they didn't have the ps2 gamer in mind initially. i do expect a bit more of a play for these folk next year, assuming that nintendo actually spends some of that cash they're raking in.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
birdchili said:
yup. i don't think that nintendo really thought they'd be in a position to make a serious play for the ps2-owning hardcore. they prepped three general targets:

gamecube hardcore: sequels to gamecube mascot games
"new audiences": wii ___ series.
lapsed gamers: virtual console nostalgia angle.

obviously this oversimplifies, and there's lots of overlap, but the lack of a strong new ip targeted to the hardcore, or any rpgs at all really suggest that they didn't have the ps2 gamer in mind initially. i do expect a bit more of a play for these folk next year, assuming that nintendo actually spends some of that cash they're raking in.
They're taking the right steps to solve this problem. The Monolith Soft. acquisition and probable money involved in MH3 exclusivity are on the right track.

voodoojohn said:
SM64 only sold that many copies in Japan during its lifetime? Didn't it sell like 11 million worldwide? That would be a ridiculously low share for the Japanese market...
Japan had a ridiculously low share of Nintendo console hardware the previous two generations. Looking at N64 specifically, Japan accounted for about 17% of the hardware. To account for 15% of SM64 sales would be in line with that.

Xeke said:
I could swear it was 700k.
450k sitting on the shelves collecting dust, 650k.... a couple hundred thousand doesn't really matter when you're using numbers that big... price collapse is inevitable... lets face it, nobody really wants mario anymore... I have a pet dog named Maggie... pumpkin pie is delicious with lots of whipped cream on it... who am i impersonating i wonder...

Christine

Segata Sanshiro said:
450k sitting on the shelves collecting dust, 650k.... a couple hundred thousand doesn't really matter when you're using numbers that big... price collapse is inevitable... lets face it, nobody really wants mario anymore... I have a pet dog named Maggie... pumpkin pie is delicious with lots of whipped cream on it... who am i impersonating i wonder...

You need at least two more paragraphs... and you could ramble on a little bit more... and also put ellipses in places they don't... belong

kottila

mabuza said:
holy crap, wii fit pre orders just sold out again on amazon. im beginning to believe,

Considering that Galaxy is just below WiiFit on the toplist, I don't think we should put much trust into what happens on amazon

edit: 15% off Galaxy! tallbuildingcollapsingalludingtoprizesbeingcuttogetridofstock.jpg

mabuza

Banned
PistolGrip said:
how the hell do you continuously sell out of preorders :\
well im sure amazon have a certain amount available for pre order, and is sold out. btw is it me or is the 360 line up for japan this holiday extremely good.

AniHawk

voodoojohn said:

The N64 sold worse than the Sega Saturn in Japan.

AniHawk said:
Not THAT'S a fail. Not just any fail either, but an epic fail; a catastrophic, titanic fail of biblical proportions. A fail so hard and so intense that the needle on the failometer spins all the way around the dial until it reaches the legendary end of the scale, somehow making it totally awesome.

vicious_killer_squirrel said:
Not THAT'S a fail. Not just any fail either, but an epic fail; a catastrophic, titanic fail of biblical proportions. A fail so hard and so intense that the needle on the failometer spins all the way around the dial until it reaches the legendary end of the scale, somehow making it totally awesome.
Saturn was Sega's most successful console in Japan. It even had a million seller.

AniHawk said:

To be specific, the N64 sold about 32 million hardware worldwide, 21 million in the US and the rest split between Japan and the rest of the world... 5.5 million N64s sold in Japan, maximum. Which, yes, puts it in third behind the Saturn which got 7-8 million there... though of course thanks to 1-1.2 million sales each in the US and Europe the Saturn only got maybe 10 million worldwide.

Yeah, it was Japan where the N64 failed. In America it did pretty well, almost as well as the SNES numbers-wise, but in Japan it totally collapsed...

_dementia said:
Saturn was Sega's most successful console in Japan

Though this is true too. Of course the SMS and Genesis (third place in Japan, behind the TurboGrafx) failed totally there, so only the Saturn and DC were really options to be 'most successful'...

I'm curious how you'd word the GameCube's success, considering it did 1.5 million less than N64.

JoshuaJSlone said:
I'm curious how you'd word the GameCube's success, considering it did 1.5 million less than N64.

I'd say that proportionally, and looking just at the Japanese market, the GC was less of a failure than the N64 because the percentage drop between the N64 and GC was a lot smaller than the drop between the SNES and N64... in America it's the opposite of course, with the GC dropping a lot more from the N64 than the N64 did from the SNES.

Overall the N64 and GC weren't failures, really, thanks largely to North American sales...

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
GOD, reading these sarcasm-dripped threads is an absolute headache inducing nightmare. No wonder I'm gaining a receding hairline, it's thanks to you fuckers and your dry wit. :(

JoshuaJSlone said:
You know how the N64's failure sent the needle all the way around the dial? The Gamecube's failure sent it all the way around one-and-a-half times so it goes back to the bad end of the scale. Do you know what that means? I'll tell you.

It means that if the N64's failure can be likened to Titanic, a multi-million dollar movie about a gargantuan failure, then the Gamecube's failure can be likened to a sequel to that movie. The difference: one is so bad that it's awesome and the other is so much worse that it's bad again.

OK, that made no sense.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Segata Sanshiro said:

That sounds an awful lot like that J-Zrez chap or whoever, but I think you're impersonating the Phoenix Down one instead. So who is it? And did Phoenix actually get banned then?

Segata Sanshiro said:
I have no idea, but it's awesome.

Xeke

Banned
A Black Falcon said:
I'd say that proportionally, and looking just at the Japanese market, the GC was less of a failure than the N64 because the percentage drop between the N64 and GC was a lot smaller than the drop between the SNES and N64... in America it's the opposite of course, with the GC dropping a lot more from the N64 than the N64 did from the SNES.

Overall the N64 and GC weren't failures, really, thanks largely to North American sales...

And people are surprised that the Wii is most popular in NA? North American has always loved Nintendo.

donny2112

Segata Sanshiro said:
kottila said:
edit: 15% off Galaxy! tallbuildingcollapsingalludingtoprizesbeingcuttogetridofstock.jpg
Price collapse...

collapse.gif

... or not?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
kottila said:
So in how long can we expect the numbers? Have to decide whether to go to bed or not

I think they usually show up tomorrow morning or somewhere along those lines. (EST).

Narag

Segata Sanshiro said:

Had you a caruso av, I'd not even noticed. I'm probably the only person glad to see people lined up for AC6 too.

kottila said:
So in how long can we expect the numbers? Have to decide whether to go to bed or not
Nah, they will show up in about 10 to 12 hours.

//edit// That is when you're talking about first day sales.

Amir0x

Banned
wait why are people suddenly expecting that Mario Galaxy didn't do amazing sales? Did I miss some memo?

If Japan rejects this, hoo boy... I can't think of any more definitive answer to the question "Does Japan hate gaming?" That'd be a yes, folks!

ANYWAY, that little bit of speculation aside, I can't believe anyone thinks this game will bomb. I don't really know what happened to make people think that, but it's going to sell.. what... 400,000~500,000 minimum? We'll get another awesome Mario game at some point in the future, after that who cares what it sells.

I guess there were empty lines when the first DS launched, and look how everyone loves it now!

Top Bottom