• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

[Nintex]

Magicpaint said:
Poor Mario Galaxy first days sales, but let's see how well it holds up during the weekend.
What's the official word on the numbers anyway?
130k first day?
or 130k more than Mario Party 8 on first day?

Vinnk

SMG had rather crappy marketing (at least in my town), DQ:Swords was advertised better. FF7:CC was in an entiredly different league than the apathetic SMG campaign. Still, I am suprised, almost shocked, if these numbers are true. I thought Mario could pull it off by name alone. Seems Nintendo did too because they dropped the ball.

Example: Today in my class one of my students asked me what my favorite "TV Game" was. I said I was going to buy SMG later that day. He looked at me perplexed as did the rest of the class. Only 2 nerdy boys in the class had even heard of it.

That is pathetic.

Maybe I shouldn't be so surpriesed after all.

But as I said this is only my town. Has was the advertising in the larger cities?

Lobster

Banned
[Nintex] said:
130k first day?

I would like to know this too...

The second option..IS NOT POOR

Whats with all the TV commercials on the site? Are they not aired?

[Nintex] said:
130k first day?
130k first day sales. If it sold 130k more than MP8, then I doubt people would be calling the numbers poor.

But yeah, I'm really beginning to seriously consider if there's much else besides the WiiSports/Fit crowd on the Wii. :/

Bebpo

Banned
Lobster said:
I would like to know this too...

The second option..IS NOT POOR

Whats with all the TV commercials on the site? Are they not aired?

It's been answered many times already. Get out of denial.

Bebpo said:
It'd be the coolest thing ever if X360 got back in the race in Japan and all three systems started doing within reasonable amounts of each other.

It'd seriously become the most exciting time in consoles in forever, seeing three systems fighting back and forth with ups and downs.
They would have to seriously outsell PS3 to come back into the race with it. And Wii, well that's not really in the reach at all. Not going to happen, period.

Or to put it more bluntly:
Bebpo said:

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Just wow at Opoona numbers and sell through...also at SRT 2nd Scramble which is at 10k, pretty bad too.
That had bomb written all over it from the start. I'm surprised they shipped that much and that retailers were willing to accept the lot.

Amir0x said:
i'm pretty shocked at those SMG sales, i mean... it'll go on to sell that 500,000+ lifetime, of course, but i thought NSMB indicated that there was still some fairly large contingent of Japan that still enjoyed games. I guess it was just that they enjoyed DS and accidentally purchased NSMB instead of Nintendogs.
They do, most of them do it on handhelds though.

Vinnk said:
Has was the advertising in the larger cities?
I don't watch TV, so I can't say anything for Osaka television, but I haven't seen any advertising for SMG, ever. I was walking past Yodobashi Camera at opening time on Thursday and I was expecting to see plenty of people, outside either waiting for the game or promoting it with balloons, flyers and fanfares. Nothing. If it wasn't for GAF, I wouldn't have known SMG was coming out this week.

Amir0x said:
i'm pretty shocked at those SMG sales, i mean... it'll go on to sell that 500,000+ lifetime, of course, but i thought NSMB indicated that there was still some fairly large contingent of Japan that still enjoyed games. I guess it was just that they enjoyed DS and accidentally purchased NSMB instead of Nintendogs.

I think it is more an audience problem. DS is BOTH hardcore and casual. The handheld managed to sell to BOTH widely and this explain why games like New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Kart DS sold very well and why games like Nintendogs or Brain Training or Animal Crossing also sold incedibly well.

Wii is too casual. That's the point. And probably many people have bought it and now they simply forgot the console: so they're the genre of people who are not waiting any new games. Simply they bougha Wii for Wii Sports and stop. Some time has passed, and the Wii is not a surprise anymore. It is like a Chirstmas's gift: who're happy with it only for some weeks and the you forget about its existance.

So, is the Wii is trouble ? No. But these are signals that Nintendo cannot ignore and that could make the system a not-so-complete success as the DS has been worldwide.
And I would say that this is more a Japan problem, for now. Nintendo needs to attract hardcore's games too and I'm sure that they know it, because Monster Hunter 3 goes in this direction.

CTLance

Hm. And there I was, wondering if 700k preorders would be enough to quell the customers' thirst for Mario. Ah well. Nintendos' Achilles heel at work, again? If so, why are they opposed to marketing their games "correctly"?

Ouch at Ooponas numbers. That game looks so unique and interesting, I want it to succeed. Is it flawed in a way or does the japanese customer just dislike the artstyle/marketing?

titiklabingapat said:
[...]what I worry about is that even though Nintendo generates 70%++ of thier incone from us, they listen to their Japanese customers more.
Actually, Nintendo Japan allowing and funding NoE/NoA to start their own gaming dev studios would be a great idea.
The main house (with its software and hardware development studios) could still listen to the Japanese while the western branches could gather to western tastes. Everybody would be happy. ...until the day the likely underfunded NoA/E studios crank out a bad game and tarnish Nintendos name. Chaos ensues, western Nintendo devstudios die a gruesome death (all members are personally bitchslapped to death by Iwata).

...it's nice(?) to dream sometimes.

Lobster

Banned
Bebpo said:

Im not in denial. Im just confused because the thread has become a cluster of "130k more then MP8" and "130k first day sales"

Im more in denial about Opoonas sales. The game surely looked like it would do well.

Amir0x

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasil said:
I think it is more an audience problem.

i think it's just that the vast majority of Japan hates games, and actively roots to see gamings destruction, unless it comes in quaint math problem form. Or has cute puppies.

I think we should take all the people who buy Super Mario Galaxy away from Japan, since they are the last remaining few... they are surrounding by the equivalent of zombies, who will soon eat their brains and turn them into one of the game-hating majority if we don't.

AniHawk

Lobster said:
Im not in denial. Im just confused because the thread has become a cluster of "130k more then MP8" and "130k first day sales"

Im more in denial about Opoonas sales. The game surely looked like it would do well.
Get out of the nile.

ksamedi

Whatever it is atleast Mario Galaxy did better than Mario Party 8. MP8 will probably sell a million before the end of the year. I think SMG will reach that number too, but more importantly, Mario Galaxy will have a much bigger impact on western markets than the Japanese market. They just like the 2D games better.

justjohn

can someone please answer me this. whats the logic behind deciding to sell a game like opoona on the same day as super mario galaxy? this is not the first time its happened. isnt it better selling the game at a time when there is practically no game being released on the platform?

AniHawk

ksamedi said:
Whatever it is atleast Mario Galaxy did better than Mario Party 8. MP8 will probably sell a million before the end of the year. I think SMG will reach that number too, but more importantly, Mario Galaxy will have a much bigger impact on western markets than the Japanese market. They just like the 2D games better.

EVERYONE likes the 2D games better. It's a worldwide thing. Also, Mario Party 8 will probably outsell SMG. It's Mario Party 4 vs. SMS all over again.
justjohn said:
can someone please answer me this. whats the logic behind deciding to sell a game like opoona on the same day as super mario galaxy? this is not the first time its happened. isnt it better selling the game at a time when there is practically no game being released on the platform?

It could be that companies believe if they have their game out when a really big one is on sale, they'll take notice and get a boost of the coattails of the bigger game.

Haven't seen it actually work though.

ksamedi

Lobster said:

I can't believe how you thought that. The art style, the game mechanics, the reviews, everything screamed bomb.

ksamedi

AniHawk said:
EVERYONE likes the 2D games better. It's a worldwide thing. Also, Mario Party 8 will probably outsell SMG. It's Mario Party 4 vs. SMS all over again.

In Japan I think so too, but Wordwide I think Mario Galaxy could pass Mario Party.

Lobster

Banned
ksamedi said:
I can't believe how you thought that. The art style, the game mechanics, the reviews, everything screamed bomb.

What do you mean reviews? It reviewed good on Famitsu. 32/40 IIRC.

CTLance said:
Hm. And there I was, wondering if 700k preorders would be enough to quell the customers' thirst for Mario. Ah well. Nintendos' Achilles heel at work, again? If so, why are they opposed to marketing their games "correctly"?
That's apparently Nintendo's new marketing approach. Market the hell out of casual games to get the attention of the masses and create demand and treat the games for the "hardcore" crowd like a red-headed step-child. Of course this makes sense from a business standpoint since a lot of that hardcore crowd reads magazines, the internet and what not and thus will create hype through blogs, fora (forums?) etc. But it'll also form a public conception of the Wii and it's software, that it's home only to casual games thus hampering sales for "core" games.

It'll be interesting to see how it'll all work out. If MP3, SMG and SSBB fail to attract a lot of customers/some of the new casual gamers I think Nintendo will definetly rethink their marketing. To have a steady cash flow from Wii they need the core demographic and Iwata is aware of that. They just thought they could get away with this new marketing strategy and it seems like it won't work out that way.

Lobster

Banned
Shiggy said:
This could get a boost with the new channel. People will most likely recommend the game;)

No get out there and properly market the game Shiggy! While you're at it, market Opoona 2 times more then Crisis Core.

Anyone have any data on first week sales of both Mario 64 and Mario Sunshine in both NA and Japan, and sales breakdown for each region(NA, JP, PAL), if you have them.

CTLance

spwolf said:
I'm not entirely sure either, but apparently even first party games don't sell on Wii.
(Just kidding and exaggerating, of course. Also, pic not by me, looking for sauce - it just fit too well)

Phife Dawg said:
That's apparently Nintendo's new marketing approach.[...]
I don't demand or expect a MS/Sony style media blitz, but at least SOME traditional advertising would be useful nonetheless. Even soccer moms get lost from time to time and wander into the videogaming section. You cannot expect to sell games without advertising them at the place where most of them are sold, or so I'd think.
Ah well, we'll see. Let's hope for the best and fear the worst.

wazoo

I do not understand the appeal of SMG to mass market

It has spherical worlds, meaning true 3D gameplay plus gravity and so, very complex, and you expect people turned off by the first MArio 3D to be attracted ??

I would a casual, I would be terrified by the prospect of playing it (not saying it would be difficult to be played, but the first impression before even trying would be bad)

MArio for the casuals is a 2D scrolling game, no more

ksamedi

wazoo said:
I do not understand the appeal of SMG to mass market

It has spherical worlds, meaning true 3D gameplay plus gravity and so, very complex, and you expect people turned off by the first MArio 3D to be attracted ??

I would a casual, I would be terrified by the prospect of playing it (not saying it would be difficult to be played, but the first impression before even trying would be bad)

MArio for the casuals is a 2D scrolling game, no more

I think Nintendo kind of positioned this as a more hardcore title that appeals to Zelda fans. It even has orchestrated music. The real 'Mario' title for Nintendo will be WiiFit.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn.. 130k the first day for SMG? That seems kinda low. I said i would be suprised if it didnt sell atleast 500k within the first week, but there is still some days to go. It can happend :) I'm sure it will be a million seller within its lifetime anyway.

test_account said:
Damn.. 130k the first day for SMG? That seems kinda low. I said i would be suprised if it didnt sell atleast 500k within the first week, but there is still some days to go. It can happend :) I'm sure it will be a million seller within its lifetime anyway.
Don't quote me on this but both SMS and N64 sold the same amounts in their first week. I need actual data to back up this claim though.

Anyone?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
titiklabingapat said:
Don't quote me on this but both SMS and N64 sold the same amounts in their first week. I need actual data to back up this claim though.

Anyone?

Mario 64 first week - 164,000
Mario Sunshine first week - 280,000

Mario 64 is not really a valid comparison though because it was a launch title and both legs and first week numbers are skewed by that.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Okay, what in the flying hell? I mean, seriously.

What was the advertising like for NSMB? Because if it was the same level of marketing as it was with Mario Galaxy, then there is something very wrong with Galaxy's first day sales... Unless people really WERE saving their money-spending for a slightly less rainy weekend spendathon.

wazoo

SovanJedi said:
Okay, what in the flying hell? I mean, seriously.

What was the advertising like for NSMB? Because if it was the same level of marketing as it was with Mario Galaxy, then there is something very wrong with Galaxy's first day sales... Unless people really WERE saving their money-spending for a slightly less rainy weekend spendathon.

It has more to do with gamers in love with handhelds in Japan at the current time, IMO

Nintendo was happy to have Wii Sports, because Wii could be in the same state as the ps3 without it

test_account

XP-39C²
Lobster said:
Square fucked that up by not shipping enough. If they shipped 700k copies they would have sold it..not the first week but definitely quickly.

I dont think it would have sold 700k in the first week if the supply was there. According to japan-gamecharts.com DQS has a LTD of 470.7k. How fast was the supply fixed?

cvxfreak

Galaxy is going to perform just fine. I'm not worried at all, even though I expected a better opening performance myself.

Top Bottom