• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

Dragona Akehi said:
so i see that nintendo is doomed again
Yup. I gave my Wii first thing this morning to a man sleeping in a cardboard pile outside my apartment. He asked what he was supposed to do with a Wii when he has no home so I told him to wait a few weeks and make a house out of unsold Mario Galaxies.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yup. I sold my Wii first thing this morning to a man sleeping in a cardboard pile outside my apartment. He asked what he was supposed to do with a Wii when he has no home so I told him to wait a few weeks and make a house out of unsold Mario Galaxies.

now that is proactive thinking!

Oliver.S

Segata Sanshiro said:
Yup. I gave my Wii first thing this morning to a man sleeping in a cardboard pile outside my apartment. He asked what he was supposed to do with a Wii when he has no home so I told him to wait a few weeks and make a house out of unsold Mario Galaxies.
:lol
Very good^^

130,000 is bad for day one now? I mean, really, have you guys not been paying any attention to games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Animal Crossing, Brain Training 1&2, Mario Kart DS, Tetris, New Super Mario Bros., ect., ect.?

Really?

Kildace

Great Rumbler said:
130,000 is bad for day one now? I mean, really, have you guys not been paying any attention to games like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Animal Crossing, Brain Training 1&2, Mario Kart DS, Tetris, New Super Mario Bros., ect., ect.?

Really?

No one is saying that it's bad, but it's definitely below what most people expected.

It looks to me like Nintendo is pushing its marketing where it matters more, Wii Sports and Wii Fit, and let good games like Metroid and Mario Galaxy do mediocre numbers with hardcore gamers alone..

Kildace said:
No one is saying that it's bad, but it's definitely below what most people expected.

Because people had ridiculously high expecations.

Actually, when we the last time that a major Nintendo game in Japan was really frontloaded? All the multi-million sellers I can think of started around 300k-500k, or even less, on opening week and then just stayed in the charts for years.

Kildace

Great Rumbler said:

And I don't think that it was unreasonable to have extremely high expectations about the first day sales of Nintendo's flagship franchise coming out on a platform with a userbase over 4.5M strong. I certainly expected at least 300k for the first day. It's freaking Mario!

Dont think there is anything wrong with SMG sales numbers. Just the expectations were nuts. So many just assumed that this new demographic that is purchasing a Wii for WiiSports and WiiPlay, etc. would all of a sudden become Mario fans. Some of them will eventually find it some of them will just have the Wii end up in the closet. WiiFit will come and another new demographic may latch on to the Wii, but that doesnt mean they will look to purchase SMG or any other traditional game (or many other games for that matter). SMG will sell to the traditional Nintendo gamers very heavily and do well in that regard.

Meier

Pretty disappointed by those numbers. Should have fantastic legs and sell well into the New Year, but I would have expected 400k (at least) for the first week.

Kildace said:
And I don't think that it was unreasonable to have extremely high expectations about the first day sales of Nintendo's flagship franchise coming out on a platform with a userbase over 4.5M strong. I certainly expected at least 300k for the first day. It's freaking Mario!

SMG is going to sell in the top 20, probably top 10, through the rest of this year.

Also, it's probably going to have the biggest opening week of any Wii game so far.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nolan. said:
And what if it doesn't have these legs people are hoping for.?

Sales prediction is like weather prediction. You use empirical data, past predictions, and intuition to project what will happen... and for every legit meteorologist, there are 25 local weather guys who steal content from others and have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

Mario not having any legs would be the equivalent of a Category 5 Hurricane hitting Colorado in the middle of the winter. There's no possible way anyone could have predicted it, because it makes no sense.

Jcgamer60

Super Mario Galaxy... *Sigh*

What can be said about Japan?

What can be said about the Wii?

This is not a good thing, assuming it doesn't have legs.

farnham

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Sales prediction is like weather prediction. You use empirical data, past predictions, and intuition to project what will happen... and for every legit meteorologist, there are 25 local weather guys who steal content from others and have no idea what the fuck they're doing.

Mario not having any legs would be the equivalent of a Category 5 Hurricane hitting Colorado in the middle of the winter. There's no possible way anyone could have predicted it, because it makes no sense.
but theoretically it can happen

Jcgamer60 said:
Super Mario Galaxy... *Sigh*

What can be said about Japan?

What can be said about the Wii?

This is not a good thing, assuming it doesn't have legs.

On the other hand.. i never saw NIntendo games that had no legs

Nolan.

Stumpokapow said:

I completely agree with you though I just feel like some people are moving on from what was about a week ago with expectations of high numbers going from that to long legs. I'm almost certain it will have legs. Though I don't see why some people are discrediting the expectations some had in terms of launch numbers for the game as if it was out there but anyway to reiterate it is just a day.

Great Rumbler said:

Actually, when we the last time that a major Nintendo game in Japan was really frontloaded? All the multi-million sellers I can think of started around 300k-500k, or even less, on opening week and then just stayed in the charts for years.
Not that it was front loaded, but I think if you try hard to remember, you'll finding poking into your memory one New Super Mario Bros., which quite exceeded the 300k-500k range for its first week.

We also have no guarantees SMG is going to reach 300k for first week. I'd say that's a slightly optimistic estimate at this point, but only slightly.

Great Rumbler said:

Much depends from how it will perform during the entire week. if it manages to reach at least 300k, then I think that it has big chances to reach the million and we can then definitely say it's not a bomb. But if it perform like Twilight Princess did, I think that Nintendo should start to be worried even about Smash Bros. and Mario Kart and ALL hardcore games.

Is Wii a casual-only console ? That's the big question. Twilight Princess was the first signal, but I ignored it a little bit after Dragon Quest Swords, who sold quite well for a spin-off and it is definitely not a casual game. Mario Party 8 has made my convinctions even stronger, even if it is very casual-oriented (not not only).

But then, Wii went down for no reason apparently. Mario Strikers came out and it bombed. Mario Galaxy is a big test and it doesn't seem that has been fulfilled.
But we'll see next week. Maybe we're really overreacting.

Mrbob

What did super mario sunshine sell in Japan?

Wasn't it only like 700K?

The game will be huge in the USA. Perhaps the Japan market prefers 2D mario games.

farnham

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Much depends from how it will perform during the entire week. if it manages to reach at least 300k, then I think that it has big chances to reach the million and we can then definitely say it's not a bomb. But if it perform like Twilight Princess did, I think that Nintendo should start to be worried even about Smash Bros. and Mario Kart and ALL hardcore games.

Is Wii a casual-only console ? That's the big question. Twilight Princess was the first signal, but I ignored it a little bit after Dragon Quest Swords, who sold quite well for a spin-off and it is definitely not a casual game. Mario Party 8 has made my convinctions even stronger, even if it is very casual-oriented (not not only).

But then, Wii went down for no reason apparently. Mario Strikers came out and it bombed. Mario Galaxy is a big test and it doesn't seem that has been fulfilled.
Take into account that the Wii was pretty much outsold for the entire Q4 of 2006 (until march 2007) and that it sold mainly to the Wii sports people

Jcgamer60

Mrbob said:
What did super mario sunshine sell in Japan?

Wasn't it only like 700K?

The game will be huge in the USA. Perhaps the Japan market prefers 2D mario games.

More like Mario on handhelds. Anyone know how much super paper mario sold? I doubt it was a lot.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Nolan. said:
I completely agree with you though I just feel like some people are moving on from what was about a week ago with expectations of high numbers going from that to long legs. I'm almost certain it will have legs. Though I don't see why some people are discrediting the expectations some had in terms of launch numbers for the game as if it was out there but anyway to reiterate it is just a day.

I think one of the fundamental failings with GAF is tending to care about the aggregate GAF opinion rather than the educated GAF opinion. I know when I participate in sales threads, I value people like Joshua, donny, jjjj, ethel, cvx, Cheese, and many others who have credibility in terms of their knowledge base, basic statistical reasoning, etc.

I think if you listen only listen to the reasonable people, you'll find that amount of "OMG UNEXPECTED" falls rapidly.

taconinja

Stumpokapow said:
I think one of the fundamental failings with GAF is tending to care about the aggregate GAF opinion rather than the educated GAF opinion. I know when I participate in sales threads, I value people like Joshua, donny, jjjj, ethel, cvx, Cheese, and many others who have credibility in terms of their knowledge base, basic statistical reasoning, etc.

I think if you listen only listen to the reasonable people, you'll find that amount of "OMG UNEXPECTED" falls rapidly.
I only had time to skim the thread, but those people listed who have responded didn't seem too panicked as of this point.

Nolan.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

I don't think Nintendo will worry and thats my worry. If it did less than it's predecessors I figure nintendo will just feel like their focus on the causal games they have broken out with will be justified. Twilight Princess didn't do that bad though I didn't think.

ccbfan

I have to say this is probably the funniest and saddest thread I've seen in a while.

It went from

average SMG prediction of around 400k first day -> joking around that SMG will bomb and making fun of people that thought it was serious -> SMG selling 130 k -> massive damage control -> the death of hardcore gaming in japan -> 130K for a flagship title for the most popular console in Japan are actually good numbers

Sad part is that SMG bombed. Hopefully it'll have legs and bring it back to respectibility cause this game is suppose to sell multi-million, bring the hardcore games to the Wii, make Wii completely supply constraint. Being happy with beating just SMS is sad considering the Wii is the market leader in Japan while both the PS3 and 360 is dead. This is like expecting Michael Jordan and getting Sam Bowie instead. Now lets hope it at least becomes an Emet Okur.

Japan been pissing me off for months, and I willing to bet they'll piss me off even more with Wii Fit and its 2 million sold in a month and make Wii completely supply constrainted.

Nolan.

ccbfan said:
I have to say this is probably the funniest and saddest thread I've seen in a while.

It went from

average SMG prediction of around 400k first day -> joking around that SMG will bomb and making fun of people that thought it was serious -> SMG selling 130 k -> massive damage control -> the death of hardcore gaming in japan -> 130K for a flagship title for the most popular console in Japan are actually good numbers

Sad part is that SMG bombed. Hopefully it'll have legs and bring it back to respectibility cause this game is suppose to sell multi-million, bring the hardcore games to the Wii, make Wii completely supply constraint. Being happy with beating just SMS is sad considering the Wii is the market leader in Japan while both the PS3 and 360 is dead. This is like expecting Michael Jordan and getting Sam Bowie instead. Now lets hope it at least becomes an Emet Okur.

Japan been pissing me off for months, and I willing to bet they'll piss me off even more with Wii Fit and its 2 million sold in a month and make Wii completely supply constrainted.

The game hasn't bombed we don't know what it will sell for the rest of the week. I don't think the ps3 is as dead as some are making it out just yet anyway. Also lastly was smg ever in famitsu's top 10 because I can't seem to remember it (like famitsu list mean anything anyway out of the top 2).

ccbfan said:

It went from

Sad part is that SMG bombed.
Hopefully it'll have legs and bring it back to respectibility cause this game is suppose to sell multi-million, bring the hardcore games to the Wii, make Wii completely supply constraint. Being happy with beating just SMS is sad considering the Wii is the market leader in Japan while both the PS3 and 360 is dead. This is like expecting Michael Jordan and getting Sam Bowie instead. Now lets hope it at least becomes an Emet Okur.

So if Mario galaxy sells 500,000 this week and continues posting 25,000 a week for months............?
Also lets see what happens this weekend, we all know the Mario crowd aren't hardcore, and that anyone picking up a new Wii will probably be picking up Galaxy with it, once word of mouth, and advertsements hit.

And you're declaring the games has bombed after one days sales??
i got a little upset bt i'm content in the knowledge the game will have legs.

And anyway the US and European sales will be huge!

Nolan.

DefectiveReject said:
So if Mario galaxy sells 500,000 this week and continues posting 25,000 a week for months............?
Also lets see what happens this weekend, we all know the Mario crowd aren't hardcore, and that anyone picking up a new Wii will probably be picking up Galaxy with it, once word of mouth, and advertsements hit.

And you're declaring the games has bombed after one days sales??
i got a little upset bt i'm content in the knowledge the game will have legs.

I'm a little confused now some people are looking at this as a reflection of nintendo's hardcore base or lack of and some are saying the mario fans aren't hardcore so will brawl have lower expectations then.?

Nolan. said:
I'm a little confused now some people are looking at this as a reflection of nintendo's hardcore base or lack of and some are saying the mario fans aren't hardcore so will brawl have lower expectations then.?
Nintendo games in the main get their sales at the weekend, and 1st party games have LEGS.
Also with the holidays coming up this game will sell by the bucket load as Nintendo actually start pushing the game!

Evlar

Banned
The "core" gamers in Japan appear to be an endangered breed, or at least spotted much less frequently outside of captivity. I can't recall a big hit among that demographic since MHP2; since then it's been a string of disappointments, disasters, or merely par performance.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm really shocked and disappointed with the sales of SMG. Hopefully long term sales will look much better.

With Nintendo's BIG budget games (Mario, Metroid, and Zelda) selling below expectations while simplistic waggle productions sell in the millions, I'm beginning to worry that they will focus even less on creating content for fans of traditional games. Metroid Prime 3 completely destroys everything else on the system, yet it couldn't even come close to matching the sales of garbage mini game collections. Hopefully Mario does not suffer the same fate.

It seems that traditional games still have a place on Nintendo DS, but they just don't seem to do as well on Wii. :\

farnham said:
Take into account that the Wii was pretty much outsold for the entire Q4 of 2006 (until march 2007) and that it sold mainly to the Wii sports people

Yeah, I think that the problem is the following one: hardcore gamers that had intention to buy a Wii did it last year, when Twilight Princess came out. Let say these guys are 500k.
For the rest fo the year, outside Dragon Quest Swords, not a single big hardcore game came out. Let say that the population of hardcore grew to 700k. Who bought a Wii, bought it for Wii Sports. Mario Party 8 helped this too. But, a lot of time passed and for hardcore gamers, nothing came out: this means that they have done one of the following thing: 1) Sold the console. 2) Waiting for Mario Galaxy.

Now, hardcore gamers are coming out from a "sleeping period". This means that the Wii's audience is not as ready to buy games as PSP or DS are. The bad marketing of Nintendo increase this phenomenon.

Two things can happen: Mario Galaxy bombs (in the sense that it sell less then Super Mario Sunshine). This is due because Nintendo has waited too much to make their hardcore fanbase active and strong and during time, only the casual crown remained, that has bought the console, but it has already been forgotten. This means: not attention to new games.

Second possibility: Mario Galaxy will not bomb, but it will require time to be noted. And this is what's most likely for me. Simply the game hasn't been hyped enough and now it is selling slowly. This convinction comes also by the fact, that Mario is not only for hardcore, but for everyone (this is one of the biggest strentghs of the Mario franchise). But if hardcore gamers buy a game the first day, casual games do it when they have time.
This is not so weird, considering that not everyone has the time to get a game at the first day, most of all, again, if the audience is casual.

dark10x said:
I'm really shocked and disappointed with the sales of SMG. Hopefully long term sales will look much better.

With Nintendo's BIG budget games (Mario, Metroid, and Zelda) selling below expectations while simplistic waggle productions sell in the millions, I'm beginning to worry that they will focus even less on creating content for fans of traditional games. Metroid Prime 3 completely destroys everything else on the system, yet it couldn't even come close to matching the sales of garbage mini game collections. Hopefully Mario does not suffer the same fate.

It seems that traditional games still have a place on Nintendo DS, but they just don't seem to do as well on Wii. :\

Yeah. I'm worried too. But it is a thing that has been introduced with DS, but degenerated with Wii. After all, DS has been really teh promised land for many classic games that were in decline: Kirby, Mario (somehow), Zelda, Phoenix Wright and many more.

Wii, in contrast, is good only for non-games it seems. this can be change with a massive marketing campaign, that Nintendo is NOT doing.

farnham

Banned
dark10x said:

While Nintendogs and Brain Age sold millions on DS Advance Wars and Touch Kirby totally bombed (in comparison)

doesnt mean they will scrap those franchises.. dont worry

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
farnham said:
While Nintendogs and Brain Age sold millions on DS Advance Wars and Touch Kirby totally bombed (in comparison)

doesnt mean they will scrap those franchises.. dont worry
I can't imagine Nintendo scrapping those franchises, of course, but one has to wonder if they'll be willing to spend as much time and money creating new installments in each franchise. You know what I'm saying? Consider how much time went into the creation of Zelda TP and Mario Galaxy. Clearly those games required larger budgets, a larger staff, and more time to complete. What good does it do Nintendo to focus on such productions when they can cheaply create simplistic content that will sell at a higher volume? I'd say it's pretty unlikely that they would take this approach, but it's not as if it doesn't make sense.

In a country with over 3 million Wii consoles, how can anyway say 130,000 first day sales for a game as big as SMG is good?

Yes, it will have legs but I find this number quite unbelievable.

dark10x said:

Speaking of which, what is the next heavy hitter set for Japan on Wii? Apart from Wii-Fit and that whole genre.

Top Bottom