• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

test_account

XP-39C²
titiklabingapat said:
Don't quote me on this but both SMS and N64 sold the same amounts in their first week. I need actual data to back up this claim though.

What Stumpokapow said, about 280k for Super Mario Sunshine. But i would have more faith in Super Mario Galaxy since Nintendo (i think? Atleast someone) said it was the true Mario sequel to Mario 64. Wii is also more popular than GC. I think SMG is more marketed than SMS, or? At Gametrailers.com there are like 8 TV commercials for SMG :) How was it for SMS?

A week or two ago I asked, "What if Mario Galaxy bombs?" and no one paid attention to me. WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW YOU FUCKS?!

I hope it picks up over the course of the week.

pickwick

BrodiemanTTR said:
A week or two ago I asked, "What if Mario Galaxy bombs?" and no one paid attention to me. WELL WHO'S LAUGHING NOW YOU FUCKS?!

What if Mario galaxy bombs ?

Wait. This is only the first day sales. We only know after holidays if SMG has really bombed. But please, right now this is only the first day...

ziran

I don't think 130K first day is too bad for SMG, all things considered. It should manage 250-300K for its first week (equal or more over the weekend, unlike the hardcore front loaded sales for DQS) and it is the run up to the holiday buying season so a million plus by new year is possible.

However, the fact continues, traditional gaming in Japan is declining, and generally speaking only the biggest franchises are pulling decent numbers. SMG, on the hot new system, has the Herculean task of reinvigorating old gaming, and lets face it, if Nintendo can't do it no other developer stands a chance. We'll have to see how this plays out, because it could be the case SMG ends up topping 2 million by the end of the generation with the legs Nintendo titles often have, but this depends on how any-gamer friendly the title is and how it appeals to the broader Wii Sports audience. Also, SMG has to show people 3D Mario games can be as fun as the 2D ones, which is going to take time (if the game can achieve this).

As for 360/PS3, they are fighting for a different market from Wii, however this market is a declining niche with big budget tastes, which isn't exactly helpful.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I think it is more an audience problem. DS is BOTH hardcore and casual. The handheld managed to sell to BOTH widely and this explain why games like New Super Mario Bros. or Mario Kart DS sold very well and why games like Nintendogs or Brain Training or Animal Crossing also sold incedibly well.

Wii is too casual. That's the point. And probably many people have bought it and now they simply forgot the console: so they're the genre of people who are not waiting any new games. Simply they bougha Wii for Wii Sports and stop. Some time has passed, and the Wii is not a surprise anymore. It is like a Chirstmas's gift: who're happy with it only for some weeks and the you forget about its existance.

So, is the Wii is trouble ? No. But these are signals that Nintendo cannot ignore and that could make the system a not-so-complete success as the DS has been worldwide.
And I would say that this is more a Japan problem, for now. Nintendo needs to attract hardcore's games too and I'm sure that they know it, because Monster Hunter 3 goes in this direction.
You're right, but also, hardcore gaming is going to really struggle if it continues down the more complicated, more involving, more cinematic path that so many Japanese developers are banking on. Things need to change, even for the hardcore, because it isn't just the casuals who want something new, it's more people than not, including a good amount of the hardcore, imo.

The problem with GAF is it relates a totally unrealistic picture of what is happening in the market, and I think far more hardcore gamers have a similar opinion to me than the posts here suggest. I think many hardcore gamers want the Nintendo mantra of new ways to play old games and new games to play, in all kinds of games from all developers.

Fatigue is really starting to set in and the longer developers continue down the old path the harder it's going to be to convince people there is fun to be had in these games if done in new and interesting ways. The big advantage of DS was the desirability of a new portable system and speed of development, so before people called it quits on old gaming, games came out which changed their mind, this is something Wii doesn't have and something which is crippling PS3 and 360. Also, Japanese developers didn't expect PS3 to track behind GC so didn't have the resources working on Wii titles.

Wii has fallen behind in its momentum in a similar, but bigger, way to DS before Nintendogs, but since Wii Sports was the Wii equivalent of Nintendogs, it's as if there was a 6-12 month gap between Nintendogs and Brain Training. Wii needs to build up momentum again and I think there's the line-up to do it with SMG, Wii Fit, SSBB, Wii Music and Mario Kart, but ultimately time will tell.

So now SMG is going to struggle to hit a million. I suppose it's not surprising considering how poorly Sunshine sold but I was hoping a game on this level could pass that barrier easily. Does this mean that Nintendo no longer has a single hardcore franchise that can be a surefire million seller on their console? That's a huge shame.

egocrata

Banned
Doomsayers should remember that if there is a franchise with Monster legs it is Mario. The game will be doing solid numbers forever, as it is the kind of game that people associate to Nintendo consoles; it is a given that you get it with the system, someday.

Is there any word about the initial shippment? Is the report about 700k retail preorders close to what was really shipped? And what are the odds of a price collapse for such a triple A Nintendo title?

A host of questions, I demand answers. :I

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
test_account said:
I dont think it would have sold 700k in the first week if the supply was there. According to japan-gamecharts.com DQS has a LTD of 470.7k. How fast was the supply fixed?

The game is short so used copies popped up very fast.

Plus to some extent there's "missed chances"--a lot of people might want to buy a game one week, but if they can't get it they pick something else up and go home.

test_account

XP-39C²
Stumpokapow said:
The game is short so used copies popped up very fast.

Plus to some extent there's "missed chances"--a lot of people might want to buy a game one week, but if they can't get it they pick something else up and go home.

Ye, i thought about used copies. But still, 700k the first week seems unlikely to me considering the first day sales were 200k (?) and first week 302k. I dont think it was just a supply issue, but who know. Nevertheless, 302k the first week is still very much :)

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Bomb. Just a bomb.

The fact that MP8 is most likely going to sell better than Galaxy makes me very sad. Nintendo am doomed.

Then I remembered that this happened a generation ago and I thought maybe Nintendo not doomed.

Then I remembered that generation was the Gamecube. Not good.

I'm sure Galaxy will have decent legs, but this is bad bad bad and is a bad omen for Wii sofftware this holiday IMO.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It could be that Mario Galaxy will be to the Wii what Kirby's Canvas Curse was to the DS - the first new, ground-up critically acclaimed Nintendo title for the machine since launch that, while might not* perform as expected sales wise, will up the profile of the machine in such a way as to remove the stigma of there being a lacking games library for the machine. Even though Nintendogs was the game that sparked the sales for the handheld in a big way, it was Canvas Curse that started getting my attention focused on the DS with more interest than I normally give a handheld machine. People will notice the review scores and positive feedback (and by god what positive feedback the game is getting so far!) and realize that there really IS something for everyone on the machine. After that, the games quality will increase and games will start to sell to that market as well, and thus perfect harmony will be attained... I hope.

If this theory of mine proves true, though, then it's a damn shame that it was Galaxy that had to sacrifice itself for the cause.

*Hopefully it does though. This is only first day sales after all.

EDIT: Didn't Kirby and Nintendogs come out at about the same time in Japan? If so then the comparison to Mario Galaxy and WiiFit would hold a little more redibility... But I can't remember. Sorry.

test_account said:
What Stumpokapow said, about 280k for Super Mario Sunshine. But i would have more faith in Super Mario Galaxy since Nintendo (i think? Atleast someone) said it was the true Mario sequel to Mario 64. Wii is also more popular than GC. I think SMG is more marketed than SMS, or? At Gametrailers.com there are like 8 TV commercials for SMG :) How was it for SMS?
My point was that first week sales don't mean much for 3d marios since they'll more than likely demonstrate legs. It's a matter of how long those legs can be.

Kildace

gkrykewy said:
Dude, WiiFit.

WiiFit is awful news for gamers everywhere. If SMG sells a fifth of what WiiFit does this winter in Japan it will send a very strong message to Nintendo and 3rd parties that they should focus all their resources on making casual games since even their flagship titles can't compete with them.

ksamedi

ziran said:
I don't think 130K first day is too bad for SMG, all things considered. It should manage 250-300K for its first week (equal or more over the weekend, unlike the hardcore front loaded sales for DQS) and it is the run up to the holiday buying season so a million plus by new year is possible.

However, the fact continues, traditional gaming in Japan is declining, and generally speaking only the biggest franchises are pulling decent numbers. SMG, on the hot new system, has the Herculean task of reinvigorating old gaming, and lets face it, if Nintendo can't do it no other developer stands a chance. We'll have to see how this plays out, because it could be the case SMG ends up topping 2 million by the end of the generation with the legs Nintendo titles often have, but this depends on how any-gamer friendly the title is and how it appeals to the broader Wii Sports audience. Also, SMG has to show people 3D Mario games can be as fun as the 2D ones, which is going to take time (if the game can achieve this).

As for 360/PS3, they are fighting for a different market from Wii, however this market is a declining niche with big budget tastes, which isn't exactly helpful.

You're right, but also, hardcore gaming is going to really struggle if it continues down the more complicated, more involving, more cinematic path that so many Japanese developers are banking on. Things need to change, even for the hardcore, because it isn't just the casuals who want something new, it's more people than not, including a good amount of the hardcore, imo.

The problem with GAF is it relates a totally unrealistic picture of what is happening in the market, and I think far more hardcore gamers have a similar opinion to me than the posts here suggest. I think many hardcore gamers want the Nintendo mantra of new ways to play old games and new games to play, in all kinds of games from all developers.

Fatigue is really starting to set in and the longer developers continue down the old path the harder it's going to be to convince people there is fun to be had in these games if done in new and interesting ways. The big advantage of DS was the desirability of a new portable system and speed of development, so before people called it quits on old gaming, games came out which changed their mind, this is something Wii doesn't have and something which is crippling PS3 and 360. Also, Japanese developers didn't expect PS3 to track behind GC so didn't have the resources working on Wii titles.

Wii has fallen behind in its momentum in a similar, but bigger, way to DS before Nintendogs, but since Wii Sports was the Wii equivalent of Nintendogs, it's as if there was a 6-12 month gap between Nintendogs and Brain Training. Wii needs to build up momentum again and I think there's the line-up to do it with SMG, Wii Fit, SSBB, Wii Music and Mario Kart, but ultimately time will tell.

Wow a long post but I agree on every point. Traditional gaming is in a decline and its normal because you can only play the same games so many times before fatigue starts kicking in. The reason there are so many new IPs in western markets is also just a mask to hide traditional gameplay ideas. Even Nintendo has not fully shown there cards yet in this area and I think from now on, 2008 and beyond, the Wii will have a very healthy lineup because publishers will release fully developed Wii games instead of clearing out the traditional game pipeline.

Lobster said:
Well you shouldnt...cause Opoona Bombed!! B-O-M-B-E-D!
You make it sound like anyone actually believed it would do decent. Wait, did you think this would sell? :lol

cvxfreak said:
Galaxy is going to perform just fine. I'm not worried at all, even though I expected a better opening performance myself.
Yeah, it's a decent start, nothing more, nothing less. Of course if you had insanse expectations for first day sales or if you want to see Nintendo fail badly these numbers will get you aroused.

test_account

XP-39C²
titiklabingapat said:
My point was that first week sales don't mean much for 3d marios since they'll more than likely demonstrate legs. It's a matter of how long those legs can be.

True, that seem to be the case for Mario 64 and Sunshine so it probly will happend to SMG also. As said, i dont doubt it will sell atleast a million copies through its lifetime.

One thing i forgot to mention earlier, one of the reasons why i think ~500k the first week is because of the 700k pre-order. When people take the time to pre-order something i assume they are very eager to get it fast. But as said, its still more days of this week so ~500k is fully possible :)

jesusraz

Phife Dawg said:
You make it sound like anyone actually believed it would do decent. Wait, did you think this would sell? :lol

If it can scrape it's way to around 10,000 by the end of the sales week, then that'll be impressive! At least the game's already confirmed as coming to the West (right?)

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
test_account said:
Are there any 1st day numbers for Opoona? I didnt see it earlier.

780,000 copies.

Nolan.

130? lower than I expected but people are expecting it to have huge legs so gues we'll have to wait and see.

ziran said:

Uh, NSMB pulled killer sales and 2D platforming is about as traditional as gaming gets.

Jonnyram

Having got home and read all these responses, I have to say I'm stunned at the level of armchair analysis going on here.

1. SMG is being advertised a lot. The ads are really cool showing a guy teaching his girlfriend how to play games, and she uses the 2P controller to pick up stars.

2. Comparisons to NSMB are moot - an installed userbase of 8.5 million with hardware selling for 17,000 versus and installed userbase of 3.6 million with hardware selling for 25,000.

3. This is ONE day! Will likely sell > 350k for the week. (NSBM, if you insist on comparison, did 899k for the week, according to M.Create)

4. Hardware availability should also be considered... noone wants to buy it if they can't get a machine. Didn't personally check availability, but it hasn't been too hot recently with stockpiling for the holidays.

5. Besides Wii Fit, this will be one of the hottest releases this holiday season. I see the top 5 being something like:
1. Wii Fit
2. DQIV
3. Mario
4. FFIV
5. Mario Party DS

MPDS is a wildcard, but the others I see doing 1-2 million over this period alone. Mario will definitely keep selling way into January.

Frillen

Rancid Mildew said:
So now SMG is going to struggle to hit a million. I suppose it's not surprising considering how poorly Sunshine sold but I was hoping a game on this level could pass that barrier easily. Does this mean that Nintendo no longer has a single hardcore franchise that can be a surefire million seller on their console? That's a huge shame.

So when did Japan become the only game market on the planet?

Anyway, I predcit around 300k for Galaxy first week. It should have some amazing legs though, throughout the holiday.

Nolan.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess maybe people are preferring mario like games on the go these days than actually sitting in the living room?, but again it's just a day.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Jonnyram said:
4. Hardware availability should also be considered... noone wants to buy it if they can't get a machine. Didn't personally check availability, but it hasn't been too hot recently with stockpiling for the holidays.

I thought the general consensus was that Wiis were readily available from everywhere and anywhere, except for people who live on mountains.

farnham

Banned
Rancid Mildew said:
Does Sony or MS have one..?

indie85

Banned
Where are the HW numbers?
IF they havent been posted then fine. If they have, the OP needs to put them in his original post. I dont want to have to scroll through pages of this crap just to find numbers.

ziran

ksamedi said:
Wow a long post but I agree on every point. Traditional gaming is in a decline and its normal because you can only play the same games so many times before fatigue starts kicking in. The reason there are so many new IPs in western markets is also just a mask to hide traditional gameplay ideas. Even Nintendo has not fully shown there cards yet in this area and I think from now on, 2008 and beyond, the Wii will have a very healthy lineup because publishers will release fully developed Wii games instead of clearing out the traditional game pipeline.
Yeah, I see 2008 being huge for Nintendo.

Pureauthor said:
Uh, NSMB pulled killer sales and 2D platforming is about as traditional as gaming gets.
I meant generally speaking and traditional gaming that is following the more complicated, more involving, more cinematic experience. Simple, fun gaming is as popular as ever, even if it is traditional.

You'd have to have extremely selective vision not to see this decline in Japan :lol

jesusraz said:
If it can scrape it's way to around 10,000 by the end of the sales week, then that'll be impressive! At least the game's already confirmed as coming to the West (right?)
It is? Didn't know, not interested in the game myself (not a big fan of JRPGs) but the monster design looked actually pretty awesomely wacky.

indie85 said:
IF they havent been posted then fine. If they have, the OP needs to put them in his original post. I dont want to have to scroll through pages of this crap just to find numbers.
What's with the bitching? If you'd have followed these threads you knew that Cheese will update the first post with all the neccessary information. Frillen posted the hw numbers early for desperate needs.

So Opoona was also made to bleed money on purpose.

So awesome spinning.

Just a little longer guys, REUC is coming soon so you won't need to spin horrible 3rd party Wii titles that week.

indie85 said:
They're out, and Cheesey will add them when he gets a chance. This isn't a paid job for him or anything, if you don't like waiting go to MC's site yourself.

Lobster

Banned
test_account said:
I dont think it would have sold 700k in the first week if the supply was there. According to japan-gamecharts.com DQS has a LTD of 470.7k. How fast was the supply fixed?

Not fast enough. Seriously, if we didn't know about the crappy shipments it would've looked like it dropped like a really heavy rock.

"You make it sound like anyone actually believed it would do decent. Wait, did you think this would sell?"

Yes I did Phife.. :( I thought that if it was advertised well enough it could've been a great selling Wii RPG.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

So awesome spinning.

Just a little longer guys, REUC is coming soon so you won't need to spin horrible 3rd party Wii titles that week.

OR WILL WE

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Segata Sanshiro said:
They're out, and Cheesey will add them when he gets a chance. This isn't a paid job for him or anything, if you don't like waiting go to MC's site yourself.

What, you mean he doesn't get a dollar Paypal'd to him for every ridiculous fanboy post in these threads? I assumed he was a millionaire.

Wow that's epic, dissappointing first day numbers for SMG, but it should have long legs. I expect alot of new faces this and next week's thread. :D

cvxfreak

I'll damage control REUC's potentially disappointing sales right now.

- Should have been like RE4.
- Should have been RE5.
- Should have been released in a different week as the white PS3.
- Should have been on PS3.
- Should have been RE2make.

cvxfreak said:

- Should have been RE5.
- Yahoo, more RE4-like games, less REUC-like games.

I'd agree with that though...

By the way, I found this extremely amusing:
http://ca.today.reuters.com/news/ne...697_RTRIDST_0_TECH-NINTENDO-SONY-GAME-COL.XML
Nintendo Wii trims lead over PS3 in Japan sales said:
TOKYO (Reuters) - Nintendo Co Ltd's Wii game console outsold Sony Corp's PlayStation 3 by 2-to-1 in Japan in October, a game magazine publisher said, but its lead over the PS3 shrank for the fourth consecutive month.

Nintendo sold 110,415 units of the Wii in the four weeks to October 28, compared with 47,183 units of the PS3, Enterbrain said on Friday.

The Wii, which features an innovative motion-sensing controller that allows gamers direct on-screen play by swinging it like a racket or sword, outsold the PS3 by more than 6-to-1 in Japan in June.

But the PS3, which suffered a slow start after its launch a year ago due to its high price and scarcity of strong game titles, has been closing the gap with the Wii in recent months as Sony cut console prices and beefed up its software lineup.

The Wii's narrowing lead in Japan is a welcome sign for Sony as the electronics and entertainment conglomerate heads into the crucial holiday season.

Sony's game business posted an operating loss of 96.7 billion yen ($841.8 million) in July-September, while blistering demand for the Wii and the DS handheld player helped Nintendo zip past Sony and other corporate giants to become Japan's third-most valuable company.

During the same four weeks to October 28, Microsoft Corp sold 18,717 units in Japan of its Xbox 360, which is popular overseas but struggling in the home turf of Nintendo and Sony, Enterbrain said.

Awesome doing, Reuters! :lol

Lobster

Banned
cvxfreak said:

- Should have been RE5.

I'll do the one for good sales.

- RE5 confirmed
- RE2 remake confirmed
- 3rd Parties sell on Wii confirmed
- Its only because its Resident Evil
- This only means that Capcom will put more lightgun games on Wii
- Lol at Wii owners buying crappy games, you guys are really grasping
- Wow those numbers really surprised me!
- Joshua comparison charts

ziran

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

So awesome spinning.

Something, something, DQS sales, something, something, PS3 3rd party sales are still shit and developers are losing a fuckton of money, something, something.

If you guys find me pretty happy today, let me tell you in advance its not because of the first day sales (which are sad for SMG, Opoona, AC6, SRT 2nd Scramble, G1 Jockey...) but because...

NAMCO FINALLY HAS AN EUROPEAN WEBSITE!!

http://www.namcobandaigames.eu/

I can't freaking believe it! They even brought Eternal Sonata in spanish! If they would just care about a series I know like that...

kay

ziran said:

I don't think you can make that conclusion yet, the other (less popular) contender hasn't even got into the game yet. If Dynasty Warriors 6 sells less than 100k first day (we'll know by the 11/5-11/11 media create) then you can say it isn't platform specific. I think some people are just looking at the huge north american video game market and how much it has grown and saying Japan is declining faster than Sony share prices when it isn't. I guess it's just stagnant or maybe the realization that this generation sucks came and everyone sticks to mobiles? America is behind anyways, the GBA and Gamecube are still selling with no releases for a long time.

Let's just blame the upcoming DS Fit. Or Wii casual games.

Wait, add me to the bitter team again.

Fucking despicable company known as SCAMCO doesn't even list Tales of Eternia and Tales of the World Radiant Mythology on their fucking despicable website for fucking despicable reasons.

I'm so fucking bombing their comments & suggestions until there is no tomorrow.

ksamedi

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

So awesome spinning.

If you are a company and your game does bad in retail you should never blame the customers. If Nintendo can sell games on the Wii, if Capcom can do it, if Square can do it than so can you. Never has it anything to do with the userbase because you want them to buy your game and if you can interest the consumer, they will buy it, its as simple as that. I think its great that third party games don't sell that well because they have all been absolute crap except for a few good games that didn't do well.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

So awesome spinning.

Huh? *scratches head* Apparently both devs and publisher expected this one to sell for whatever odd reasons. But we all knew it was bound to tank and most of us have said so on different occasions. How's that spinning?

Lobster said:
Yes I did Phife.. :( I thought that if it was advertised well enough it could've been a great selling Wii RPG.
I don't think Wii is a viable plattform for third party RPGs atm. And especially not ones with a new IP (and ultra-cutesy main characters).

Top Bottom