• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

birdchili

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
the Wii, somehow, is still not convincing software-wise.
the wii *isn't* convincing software-wise yet - particularly to longform-game-playing ps2 owners. i think the only folk that are truly satisfied at this point are people well served by the 360 library.

Mithos Yggdrasil said:
PS2 sold more then 20 millions systems in Japan and the number of million sellers is gigantic. Where is this mass of people ? Only the hardsest of the hardcore is on PS3. X360 in Japan is irrelevant.
Until now I thought that at least a little part was on Wii and the rest still with PS2, but it appear clear that I'm wrong (about Wii).
PS2 had 17 million sellers. Its first didn't happen until Gran Turismo 3, which released 13.5 months after launch. That would be like Super Smash Bros. Brawl being Wii's first million-seller. Throughout the rest of 2001, PS2 had two more (Final Fantasy X, Dynasty Warriors 3).

JoshuaJSlone said:
PS2 had 17 million sellers. Its first didn't happen until Gran Turismo 3, which released 13.5 months after launch. That would be like Super Smash Bros. Brawl being Wii's first million-seller. Throughout the rest of 2001, PS2 had two more (Final Fantasy X, Dynasty Warriors 3).

So are you saying that it is too early ? Yeah, it could be... Maybe the transition is very slow in Japan.

You know... I'm not that convinced, but well, we'll see.

quetz67

Banned
charlequin said:
...- Nintendo hasn't done their homework to ensure that hardcore games can do well on their system.
SMG shouldnt be seen as a hardcore game, it should appeal much more to casuals (than it obviously does)

Linkup

Mario is a mass market game and it will do mass market numbers unless word gets out it can cause motion sickness. 300k-500k first week sounds about right.

test_account

XP-39C²
Frillen said:
bird.gif

lol, nice :)

PkunkFury

quetz67 said:
SMG shouldnt be seen as a hardcore game, it should appeal much more to casuals (than it obviously does)
because casuals obviously line up for titles day one? We still don't know how casuals will handle the game. We have one days worth of sales :\

JavyOO7 said:
SMG has bombed.

God damn it, that's bullshit.

EDIT: I'm not too optimistic it'll even beat Super Mario Sunshine numbers, right now. I honestly thought this game would hit 1M out of the gate. Guess the crowd that has a Wii just isn't into Mario. :|
:lol Not even NSMB did that. Not to mention they didn't even ship that many.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Hard to decide such things. Is it a bigger advantage that it's a main entry, or a bigger disadvantage that it's not specifically attracting the Gundam crowd? Are the crowd who bought Gundam Musou and maybe Musou Orochi earlier this year ready for more already?
Well it also depends on how well received the game is among the gaming public. But I think it'll do at least GM numbers. Also bear in mind that there's a bundle with the ceramic white 40G.

sphinx said:
what amazes me the most is the huge difference in sales of handheld software vs. Home console software.

The DS and PSP are capable of producing games that get near the million units sold and they do it actually quite often. There are lots of games on the 900k-800k range for the
handhelds.

Now, on the home console front, outside of Wii sports and play, which ultimately seemed to be a fad that ended some months ago, NOTHING has a chance of becoming a million seller or even getting near that. I see this not as a problem for nintendo but a HUGE problem for the industry. I have never seen so much apathy from Japan towards home console gaming, it's really disturbing.

Today is SMG but next year is MGS4 and so on....

the signs are clear: Japan isn't happy at all with this console generation of gaming.
Million-sellers are not as common as you may think, esp. not on PSP. MP8 and SMG are pretty certain to become million-sellers over their lifetime as well. Then there's SSBB, Mario Kart Wii.

MGS4 was never to be a sure million-seller. Both MGS for PS2 didn't get that far iirc. I don't think MGS4 will suddenly make a leap forward on a far smaller userbase.

There's a shift to portable gaming though, that is true. We'll have to see how devs/publishers will react to the situation.

Hcoregamer00 said:
If you put the cutoff at 400k (which is far more reasonable), the handhelds smash console gaming to the afterlife.
While that is true, it's also mainly due to DS. Apart from MH and CC which PSP game achieved 400k units sold? I guess MGS:pO if you count them as one game and MNG.

At this point, the hardware is the best indicator to understand something: if Wii's sales are not up to at least 70-80k (remember that with Dragon Quest they were up to more then 100k), then who is buying Galaxy is still the little hardcore fanbase. It is little and this explain the low numbers. But casual will be attracted by this game sooner or later and it will have giant legs.

If sales are a lot up, then the hardcore fanbase is growing and THIS is the best option for Nintendo. But this is also very unlikely, because this would have meant bigger software's sales.

So, sadly, I don't expect a big bump for Wii's hardware sales.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So are you saying that it is too early ? Yeah, it could be... Maybe the transition is very slow in Japan.

You know... I'm not that convinced, but well, we'll see.

Well the thing is... what reason have Hardcore's had to buy a Wii up to this point?

Obviously not Zelda - the series is borderline irrelevant in Japan. Even PH will settle at ~1 million, and it's been a huuge success.

Fire Emblem? It has a following in Japan, but it's definitely a niche series.

Dragon Quest is probably the one game that caused a userbase shift to the hardcore. But even then, the game is a short (albeit fun), on-rails spin off.

In the next 5 months, we have Mario, Smash, Mario Kart (?) and the release of Wii Ware with the system's first Final Fantasy game. I think you'll really start to see the system gain some hardcore userbase at that point.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
DayShallCome said:
Well the thing is... what reason have Hardcore's had to buy a Wii up to this point?

Obviously not Zelda - the series is borderline irrelevant in Japan. Even PH will settle at ~1 million, and it's been a huuge success.

Dragon Quest is probably the one game that caused a userbase shift to the hardcore. But even then, the game is a short (albeit fun), on-rails spin off.

In the next 5 months, we have Mario, Smash, Mario Kart (?) and the release of Wii Ware with the system's first Final Fantasy game. I think you'll really start to see the system gain some hardcore userbase at that point.

Also, RE:UC, NiGHTS, and Chocobo should do alright (if they don't Nintendo is in trouble).

DayShallCome said:

That's possible.

Deku

Banned
schuelma said:
Also, RE:UC, NiGHTS, and Chocobo should do alright (if they don't Nintendo is in trouble).

The only title I'd put remotely as having a chance of success is RE:UC just because RE4 seems to have hit a nerve and may have laid the ground for people to buy the title.

That said, two are spinoffs of popular franchises with questionable viability (the chocobo games don't do 1 million units 'good'), one is a sequel to thirteen year old game.

So yes, Nintendo is in trouble I'd say.

Jokeropia

Mario first day sales are decent. Not great, not horrible. I should do well through the holidays.
test_account said:
Sony has Gran Turismo.
Do you think GT5 is a guaranteed million seller in Japan? GT4 sold less than Minna no Golf 4...
Hcoregamer00 said:
If you put the cutoff at 400k (which is far more reasonable), the handhelds smash console gaming to the afterlife.
PSP has four +400k games in Japan. (Five if you count the MGS:pO re-release.) Wii has seven +400k games.
Ynos Yrros said:
Cry me an ocean. FFT which is a remake of a PSX game had better first day sales than the biggest Wii game.
FFT PSP sold 170k first week. So far four Wii games had better first weeks (seven have better LTDs than FFT PSP), and Mario will make it five.

birdchili

DayShallCome said:
these are *all* games attracting the people who were convinced to buy a gamecube.

wii needs epic rpgs, sequels to established ps2 ips, and brand new hardcore games that use the controller in brilliant ways. so far, there is almost none of this.

birdchili said:
these are *all* games attracting the people who were convinced to buy a gamecube.

wii needs epic rpgs, sequels to established ps2 ips, and brand new hardcore games that use the controller in brilliant ways. so far, there is almost none of this.

The problem with this logic is that Wii has NOT the fanbase that was on Gamecube. It is definitely smaller.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
birdchili said:

Epic RPGs? Like Opoona and the FFCC game whenever it is released?
Sequels to established PS2 ips? Like Power Pro Baseball, DBZ BT2/3?
Brand new hardcore games that use the controller? Like Zack and Wiki?

wazoo

DayShallCome said:

What I see here is a list of games that were on GC. How can you explain these games will draw the ps2 crowd ??

The problem I see is that 3rd parties publishers are not here to sustain the Wii because they thought it would be the GC2 in term of hardware sales. The Ds had not this problem because it was the GBA2 so 3rd party games were here one the christmas after launch. Now, publishers are either still waiting or redirecting funds to do Wii software that may arrive too late (late next year) when Wii interest may have vanished.

Deku said:
(the chocobo games don't do 1 million units 'good')
The first Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon did, but that was long ago.
Mithos Yggdrasil said:
The problem with this logic is that Wii has NOT the fanbase that was on Gamecube. It is definitely smaller.
Based on what?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
JoshuaJSlone said:
Based on what?

Yeah, don't know what logic he's using for that.

Looking at GC games and their Wii iterations, aside from Zelda and I guess Strikers the Wii versions seem to be doing just as well or better.

Bebpo said:
Awesome. So if a publisher wants to make a quirky rpg, a point n' click adventure game, and puzzle/platformer...what are they supposed to do besides making DS games for all their products?

These types of games existed last-gen on PS2 and the gen before on PS1 and did fine.

It used to be "well 3rd parties aren't putting effort into their games, which is why they bomb on Wii. When they actually try they'll be rewarded with sales". Now it's "They are giving the effort but they don't know what people want to buy" @_@
Where are all those p&c games you talk about? I remember playing tons on my computers over the time but I sure don't recall p&c adventures that did fine on PS1, PS2. The genre sadly lost it's strong appeal somewhere down the road.

Dewey had a lot of things going against it from the start. While I don't mind the over the top cuteness it gives the impression the game is aimed at toddlers, esp. considering the cover art. The basic idea was old (tilt gameworld) before the game came out - Elebits had a much more interesting gameplay mechanic imo. Then there's lack of hype, advertising, anything. It sure wouldn't have done better on any home system.

Opoona suffers the same problem with the art of the main character, dunno about the game itself since I'm not interested in JRPGs. But to claim it would've done better on PS3 or 360 is a long stretch.

birdchili

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
sure. wii is selling for more than double what that gc was selling for around a year after release (i think), and the generation migration is still very-much underway. even with disappointing number for day one smg, it seems the consensus here is that it will handily outsell sunshine.

Stumpokapow said:
Epic RPGs? Like Opoona and the FFCC game whenever it is released?
Sequels to established PS2 ips? Like Power Pro Baseball, DBZ BT2/3?
Brand new hardcore games that use the controller? Like Zack and Wiki?
is opoona epic? ffcc is a sequel to a smaller spinoff that's so far looking more like an action game than an rpg. z&w makes me sad, but i'm not hugely surprised it fizzled out of the gate - i'm still hoping it can find an audience through word of mouth.

generally though, the only people defending the hardcore software on wii have mario avatars:) the software library has a long way to go, and we need to start consistently seeing reviews that don't dedicate a paragraph to problems with the control scheme.

JavyOO7

Phife Dawg said:
:lol Not even NSMB did that. Not to mention they didn't even ship that many.

In 4 days NSMB hit 899k. Next MC already had NSMB at 1.1 M. In 11 days Nintendo had sipped over 1M of the game.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Durante said:
No. He said epic RPGs.

What do you qualify as an epic RPG?

Opoona, while light in tone, is a full length world-saving RPG. FF:CC, while not having fanservice, is similar in game style to KH or any other ARPG, based on what we know. What constitutes an Epic RPG?

Looking at the top 100 ps2 games, here are the RPGs:
1 DQ8 -- series on consoles uncertain
2 FFX -- PS3
3 FFXII -- PS3
4 FFX-2 -- PS3
5 DQ5:R -- who knows where the remakes will go?
8 Kingdom Hearts 2 -- series future uncertain, FF:CC is KH style game
23 Kingdom Hearts -- series future uncertain, FF:CC is KH style game
27 Tales of Destiny 2 -- series on Wii
39 Tales of Rebirth -- series on Wii
48 Tales of the Abyss -- series on Wii
53 Star Ocean 3 -- SO4 for 360/PS3
59 Dragon Quest Mysterious Dungeon -- two mysterious dungeon games announced for Wii, none for PS3/360.
75 Romancing SaGa -- series probably dead
76 Xenosaga -- series dead, developer Wii exclusive
79 Unlimited SaGa -- series probably dead
92 Valkyrie Profile 2 -- series not yet determined
95 Tales of Symphonia -- series on Wii
100 Suikoden 3 -- series not yet determined

So I'm seeing four games whose sequels/developers are not Wii destined, five that are, Mysterious Dungeon will probably be Wii heavy...

JoshuaJSlone said:
The first Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon did, but that was long ago.

Based on what?

On the performances of Fire Emblem, Mario Strikers and most importantly, Twilight Princess and now Super Mario Galaxy.
Even a game like Zack and Wiki would have sold more on Gamecube. You can compare it with Viewtiful Joe if you want.

Of course it is debatable, but I have always the impression that Wii lacks an hardcore fanbase terribly. The Gamecube sold bad overall, but you knew what to expect, because the fanbase was loyal and big enough to be profitable.

Of course now the situation is far better for Nintendo. I'm not crazy enough to discuss this, but definitely the success of the Wii is not at all as complete as it has been (and still it is ) with the DS.

Again, Wii's hardcore userbase is not hardcore at all and Nintendo has to change this in some way.

Edit: I explained it better in another post.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
On the performances of Fire Emblem, Mario Strikers and most importantly, Twilight Princess and now Super Mario Galaxy.
Even a game like Zack and Wiki would have sold more on Gamecube. You can compare it with Viewtiful Joe if you want.

Twilight Princess and Mario Strikers are bombas. Fire Emblem was not a bomba; it did pretty well in line with previous installments given its position as a launch title. Galaxy is absolutely not a bomba yet; we need to find out what kind of legs it has. Zack and Wiki is a megabomba.

Jokeropia

Luckyman said:
OMG.

Jokeropia is driving the truck. What a suprise.
Eh? That was my first post in the whole thread.
JavyOO7 said:
In 4 days NSMB hit 899k. Next MC already had NSMB at 1.1 M. In 11 days Nintendo had sipped over 1M of the game.
NSMB's initial shipment was also bigger than SMG's. It might be reasonable to have expected bigger first day/week sales for SMG than this, but better than NSMB? That would be crazy.

If you think Namco won't whore out the Tales Of... love to all active consoles in Japan, i dont know what to tell you. The series being on Wii doesn't hurt 360/PS3 chances of getting a tales of.. game.

quetz67

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
That. is. exactly. the. point.

PS2 sold more then 20 millions systems in Japan and the number of million sellers is gigantic. Where is this mass of people ? Only the hardest of the hardcore is on PS3. X360 in Japan is irrelevant.
Until now I thought that at least a little part was on Wii and the rest still with PS2, but it appear clear that I'm wrong (about Wii).

Only one thing is sure: these guys have to go somewhere, sooner or later. So, I would exclude the X360 (sorry for the fans of the console, but it is very unlikely that it will become enough important in term of rude numbers).
Wii or PS3: that's the problem: now I begin to understand what analysts and developers said some time ago: there is the possibility that Wii is appealing almost only for the casual market and that PS2 (two !) owners are still waiting for PS3 (three) and in particular for games and a big price drop. While they're waiting, they're playing with PSP and DS.

If this possibility is right: two things will happen: a constant decline of Wii and DS and a resurgence of PS3. That's why games like Metal Gear Solid 4 or FF XIII are still on PS3. It is NOT due to the hopes about the future of PS3, but about the fact that the Wii, somehow, is still not convincing software-wise. And Super Mario Galaxy's performance support this theory quite well.

I'm convinced that this possibility is, for now, not the best option at all. But I would not exclude it entirely, at least until the Wii begin to increase its sales singificantly once again.
Worldwide there are some 170M last gen consoles out there. Right now maybe some 150M still havent decided to either get a next gen console at all or got a Wii and may decide to get a 'real' next gen console in addition.

It may happen that PS3 AND Wii will both have very strong good sales for a long time to come (with xbox continuing to be strong at least in NA and maybe europe).

Next gen isnt over, it is just some 10% in sales wise (dont forget new markets opened). Slowing Wii sales and low SMG sales might be a sign for a decline and they might mean absolutely nothing, this fight isnt over

Durante

Stumpokapow said:
What do you qualify as an epic RPG?
In terms of JRPG franchises, I'd qualify FF, DQ, Suikoden, BoF, Star Ocean, Xeno-whatever, VP and maybe Tales as "epic". Generally, ARPGs and SRPGs may be epic in scope, but those are different genres.

Finding a generic set of requirements for epicness is hard, but a few good indicators are game length and art style. Personally, I wouldn't call Earthbound or Oopona epic even if they were exactly identical to FF12 in gameplay and length. This says nothing about the quality of the games btw., just about the definition of "epic" as it relates to RPGs.

birdchili said:
sure. wii is selling for more than double what that gc was selling for around a year after release (i think), and the generation migration is still very-much underway. even with disappointing number for day one smg, it seems the consensus here is that it will handily outsell sunshine.

Consensus is a thing, but fact are another thing. Anyway, I agree that Mario galaxy will sell better then Super Mario Sunshine (not a fact, but an opinion), but nobody has said here that only hardcore can buy a Mario game.
As said, Mario is a bridge between casual and hardcore: otherwise you cannot really explain the 200 millions games sold with this franchise.

So, why am I saying that Wii's userbase is smaller ?

The velocity. How fast a game loved by the hardcore sold in its first week and in particular in its first day. An hardcore gamer doesn't wait much to buy what he want, but a casual wait the "right moment", and, guess what, it is casual. In other words, videogames are not their priority. And in this case, the right moment is Chirstmas or simply a week-end.

This explain why FFCC VII sold that fast, but with little legs: the userbase is very hardcore on PSP.
DS, again, is THE console because it can do both very well: both casual and hardcore games sell very well and explain its success.

I'm sure that Nintendo knows this fact and the fact that a lot of hardcore games will come during next months are the proof. Nintendo still needs hardcore gamers, because they are not weathercocks.

farnham

Banned
If Nintendo is in trouble right now.. where is sony..? :lol :lol \

No seriously.. even if SMG sales stop immediately its not like PS3 has a better selling game right now..

Even if SMG could not shift any Hardware.. PS3 sales are way more sluggish right now..

Nintendo is in a comfortable position.. The SMG Guys (Nintendo Tokyo) is not.. but Nintendo as a whole certainly is..

oh yeah and these are the Top 10 PSP software sales.. (dont act if 400k and up was common on the PSP)

1,332,378 Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (Monster Hunter Freedom 2) (Capcom) (2/22/07) – through Oct 14/07
977,741 Monster Hunter Portable (+ PSP the Best) (Monster Hunter Freedom) (Capcom) (12/1/05) / (8/3/06) – through Dec 31/06 (MC) / July 1/07 (686,837 + 290,904)
705,311 Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (Square Enix) (9/13/07) – through Oct 14/07
636,494 Minna no Golf Portable (+ PSP the Best) (Hot Shots Golf: Open Tee) (Sony) (12/12/04) / (11/17/05) - through Dec 25/05 / Sept 16/07 (399,161 + 237,333)
374,549 Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops (Konami) (12/21/06) - through Sept 2/07
319,228 Ridge Racers (+ PSP the Best) (Ridge Racer) (Namco) (12/12/04) / (11/17/05) - through Apr 10/05 (MC) / Dec 31/06 (274,682 + 44,546)
302,936 World Soccer Winning Eleven 9: Ubiquitous Edition (+PSP the Best) (Konami) (9/15/05) / (4/27/06) – both through Dec 31/06 (MC) (246,896 + 56,040)
298,799 Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou (Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions) (Square Enix) (5/10/07) – through Sept 2/07
297,816 Kahashima Ryuuta Kyouju Kanshuu Nouryoku Trainer Portable (Sega) (10/20/05) – through Dec 31/06
286,187 Shin Sangoku Musou (Dynasty Warriors) (Koei) (12/16/04) - through Dec 25/05

Also id like to point out that both Brain Age and NSMB are games that had humongous legs.. of course NSMB sold well out of the gate.. but about 80% of the sales was after the launch period (its closing in to 5 million copies in Japan alone)

Jiggy

Stumpokapow said:
5 DQ5:R -- who knows where the remakes will go?
27 Tales of Destiny 2 -- series on Wii
39 Tales of Rebirth -- series on Wii
48 Tales of the Abyss -- series on Wii
95 Tales of Symphonia -- series on Wii
Dragon Quest: The remakes of IV, V, and VI are going to DS.
Tales series: At least for now, the claim is that DS will be the main platform (from post 507 down, although I guess if you're viewing in 100 posts per page the link won't quite work for you). PSP and Wii are each getting a game too, though.

Edit: I should have dug up links. Added the DQ one, finding the Tales one. Edit 2: Okay.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
Do you think GT5 is a guaranteed million seller in Japan? GT4 sold less than Minna no Golf

Farnham asked if MS or Sony had a million seller franchise, then i said Gran Turismo. GT 1-4 sold over 1 million copies each (3 and 4 atleast, 99,9% sure that GT 1 and 2 also did, but i dont have a source right now). Up to this date, Gran Turismo is a million seller franchise, thats a fact. GT5 isnt out yet, not even the Prologue version so if it will contunie to be a million seller is impossible to say for sure at this moment.

But when u ask, no, i dont think GT5 is guaranteed to be a million seller in Japan. Based on today's PS3 salenumbers it will be very hard to obtain 1 million copies sold. Maybe it can reach 1 million LTD.

Mithos Yggdrasil said:
Mario Strikers I'll give you. Fire Emblem sold almost identically on GCN and Wii, and the Wii version might yet pull ahead. Zelda sold 70% as well with 50% of the userbase. I don't know what Super Mario Sunshine's first day was or what Super Mario Galaxy's first day will be, so I can't compare that.

farnham

Banned
test_account said:
Farnham asked if MS or Sony had a million seller franchise, then i said Gran Turismo. GT 1-4 sold over 1 million copies each (3 and 4 atleast, 99,9% sure that GT 1 and 2 also did, but i dont have a source right now). Up to this date, Gran Turismo is a million seller franchise, thats a fact. GT5 isnt out yet, not even the Prologue version so if it will contunie to be a million seller is impossible to say for sure at this moment.

But when u ask, no, i dont think GT5 is guaranteed to be a million seller in Japan. Based on today's PS3 salenumbers it will be very hard to obtain 1 million copies sold. Maybe it can reach 1 million LTD.
Yup.. Thats what i think as well..

the only guaranteed million seller on PS3.. (even though this one is risky too) is FF XIII...

GT 5, MGS 4 and Tekken 6 will have a hard time selling one million copies

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Bu bu bu the lack of lines don't mean nothing! Mario Galaxy multimillion seller confirmed!!

Bah. I guess I don't care anymore. Fanboy ammo aside, I wanted this game to do really well so that Nintendo might give us more than one fucking Mario platformer every 6 years. Judging by the sales of SMW, SM64, they still seemed to be in no hurry to provide them any quicker, so fuck it. I'll just buy the game and enjoy it while it lasts, even if I'm the only person that does so. Le sigh.

Edit: Though I do hope it continues to outsell Sunshine for mere fanboy ammo related purposes.

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Farnham asked if MS or Sony had a million seller franchise
This is the original post. The question farnham responded to was "does this mean that Nintendo no longer has a single hardcore franchise that can be a surefire million seller on their console?"

I don't think GT5 is a surefire million seller in Japan.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
This is the original post. The question farnham responded to was "does this mean that Nintendo no longer has a single hardcore franchise that can be a surefire million seller on their console?"

I don't think GT5 is a surefire million seller in Japan.

I see, sorry, my mistake. But still GT is a million selling franchise :)

farnham

Banned
Oblivion said:
Bu bu bu the lack of lines don't mean nothing! Mario Galaxy multimillion seller confirmed!!

Bah. I guess I don't care anymore. Fanboy ammo aside, I wanted this game to do really well so that Nintendo might give us more than one fucking Mario platformer every 6 years. Judging by the sales of SMW, SM64, they still seemed to be in no hurry to provide them any quicker, so fuck it. I'll just buy the game and enjoy it while it lasts, even if I'm the only person that does so. Le sigh.

I think Nintendo did wisely to whore Mario in other genres and leave the platforming genre to 1 iteration per gen.. (aside of Mario Party they are doing it to the other genres too though)

JavyOO7 said:
So? It still didn't do 1M day 1 (which you expected SMG to do) and couldn't because the retailers ordered 700k. And that was all on a considerably bigger userbase to boot.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
farnham said:
I think Nintendo did wisely to whore Mario in other genres and leave the platforming genre to 1 iteration per gen.. (aside of Mario Party they are doing it to the other genres too though)

Why? If anything, the whoring out of Mario is possibly one of the main reasons that diluted the people's interest in him.

Grecco

Earthstrike said:
Can we stop speculating on the SMG numbers so much and wait 'til we actually get them in as a fact?

Nah 130k is a bomb. Price collapse.gif Nintendo had a good run all that jazz.

Top Bottom