• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Are you combining GCN and Wii sales to make this statement? I mean, then it only be fair to combine PC sales for Gears total when it comes out right?
Of course.

Although I doubt PC GOW sales will amount to much. Console-PC fps is just as ridiculous as RE5 for the Wii. Why even bother.

Culex

Banned
Magic Mile said:
OK, so what will Mario Galaxy have to end up selling for it not to be a bomb?

We have FF7:CC on the PSP and a much larger userbase which is going to seem to settle in around 750k, and FF7:CC was considered a great success.

If Mario outdoes that game, will it still be called a bomb?

The Benchmark will be eclipsing Sunshine's sales of 790k (?).

pswii60

Magic Mile said:
Twilight Princess is one of the best selling next-gen games. It outsold Gears of War worldwide.

Gears was a completely brand new IP. Don't know if that is relevant, but it might be.

farnham

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Are you combining GCN and Wii sales to make this statement? I mean, then it only be fair to combine PC sales for Gears total when it comes out right?

One is on a console, one is on a handheld.

The same limitations to TP's audience applies to Mario's as well...it ain't portable.

yeah of course... although something tells me that the PC sales of Gears wont be all that great.. (compared to the xbox 360 version)

and yes one is on a console and one is on a handheld..

but Zelda was dwindling on the handhelds even more.. minishcap failed to achieve 300k..

there is an upwards trend starting with Zelda PH now and we know that the second Zelda on Wii will have a much larger userbase to start with

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Magic Mile said:
OK, so what will Mario Galaxy have to end up selling for it not to be a bomb? We have FF7:CC on the PSP and a much larger userbase which is going to seem to settle in around 750k, and FF7:CC was considered a great success. If Mario outdoes that game, will it still be called a bomb?

lance stern gimmick account confirmed

pswii60 said:
Gears was a completely brand new IP. Don't know if that is relevant, but it might be.

Don't see how it is.

If anything it shows how reliant on the US market MS really is, but that's another thread entirely. (Well, not anymore....)

Mario will have legs, how you guys even doubt it i never know! And Mario sales in USA and Europe are where it's at

Although i hope it does pick up in Japan for Japans' sake!

Nolan.

Magic Mile said:

We have FF7:CC on the PSP and a much larger userbase which is going to seem to settle in around 750k, and FF7:CC was considered a great success.

Because people were expecting too high of numbers like this:

Smiles and Cries said:
SMG will sell 600k first week and this is without lines mark my words

schuelma said:
I don't think it will go that high..maybe 400-450K.

Just for some perspective people...MP8 sold 300k first week and I certainly don't remember any hype or sellout reports for that.

Xeke said:
It doesn't prove shit.

People don't want to skip school on a rainy day and line up for a game that will have abundant supply, no way...

I don't know what you people are thinking but if there were 700k retail preorders you would have to be bat shit crazy to expect it to sell out first day or even first week.

Frillen

There has been some hefty marketing for Galaxy this week in Japan, according to Nintendo themselves. Lots of TV Commercials and other ads. Can anyone confirm this?

Magic Mile said:

If it sells worse than other mainline games in the franchise on a larger userbase, how is that not disappointing in your eyes?

Pulling Mario Party 8 numbers would still just be a little more than half of Super Mario 64.

Crisis Core is a spin-off, a better comparison would be Super Paper Mario.

Well, now some comments...

· ethelred should be happy that Famitsu is correcting their Kyotaro's numbers :D
· Ace Combat 6 does better than PSP ACX but still very far away from PS1-PS2 numbers.
· FFTA2 does below FFTA 2nd week too, barely above FFTPSP 2nd week (not enough to get above it LTD)
· Koei should be with Wii....yeah
· And with PS2-PS3 seeing G1 Jockey
· Galaxy numbers are just depressing, deserves far better while many others deserve far worse (hi Wii Sports, Wii Play, Mario Party 8)
· Wii hardware doesn't get anywhere near summer and before numbers, surprising
· PS3 doesn't sink before 40GB PS3

goompapa

Magic Mile said:

I will be mildly satisfied if Mario does 1+ million. If it does less than 700k, its initial shipment, I think that would be massively disappointing.

test_account

XP-39C²
farnham said:
If TP and SMG are bombs..

what are 360 and PS3 games..?

They are bombs too, atleast most of them :p But you cant just look at the numbers of copies sold on any games and determaine if a game is a bomb or not. A game that might sell 20k might be considered as good. As pswii60 said, Mario is a huge franchise. SMG sold about 35% of its shipment (if it really was 700k) and it only boosted the Wii sales with 6000 units (it was 35.000 last week), so i can understand that people are alittle suprised. I thought SMG would sell something like 400-500k copies the first week. Anyway, its still the first week. We'll see how it goes the next weeks to come. X-mas is comming and all :)

wsippel

Banned
justjohn said:
is this koei's second disaster on the wii? i can see them focusing on the ps3 now, at least they're doing some decent numbers on it.
It bombed, but it's in line with the other two Koei games for PS2 and PS3 released last week.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So it only managed to sell another 120k during the week. Eww...
Yup. That's why the first week numbers are so disappointing. Everyone expected the first day sales to more than double up, but that didn't happen either. Disappointment all round for Galaxy.

Nolan.

DeaconKnowledge said:
So it only managed to sell another 120k during the week. Eww...

Yea though it could pick up depending on who rushed out to buy it first. If the hardcore are the ones getting it now, then maybe the casuals might help boost a bit after. I'm not expecting much though, but it looks like a good game that deserves great sales.

farnham

Banned
well we have a

RE spinoff

Wii Fit

and a FF spinoff for the Wii this winter..

I doubt it will fall back to the pathetic numbers it did the last couple of month

I just hope SMG will be the start of a change in that disturbing trend

About Opoona

I dont really care about KOEI since they killed the only franchise I care about (Uncharted Waters)

but seriously.. How much did they invest in Gundam Warriors or Blade Storm in comparison to Opoona or Samurai Warriors Katana

i would have loved to see a game like Opoona selling 50k or something.. but ...

toypop

Frillen said:
There has been some hefty marketing for Galaxy this week in Japan, according to Nintendo themselves. Lots of TV Commercials and other ads. Can anyone confirm this?

Yeah tons, mostly in prime time.
Also there have been nice amounts of AC6 ads around midnights.

.....Nintendo 1st party titles have legs, and Mario will sell dammit.

Mario is now THE must have title for new hardware owners, and anyone who already owns a Wii with half a brain.
Are they all holding out for holidays?
When does the holiday sales begin n Japan?

When do the holiday sales begin in America?

kay

wsippel said:
It bombed, but it's in line with the other two Koei games for PS2 and PS3 released last week.
Those are low budget, of course they won't put up big numbers. 20k sold to retailers might be $1 million USD (random 5000 yen figure, I don't know if it's accurate). The demo of it doesn't look like it cost nearly that figure.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
DefectiveReject said:

Mario is now THE must have title for new hardware owners, and anyone who already owns a Wii with half a brain.

The must-have title for new hardware owners and existing Wii owners this holiday is Wii Fit.

Kenka said:
Next bet is "I will shave my balls if SMG doesn't hit 1 mio until Xmas"

But frankly, WTF...

W
T
F

wtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtfwtf.....
prepare to get very itchy. that's a really sketchy bet.

you're betting that it WILL hit 1 mil, but not until 'christmas'. i'm figuring you just worded it badly. if it hits a mil before or after christmas... bald scrote.

Culex

Banned
DefectiveReject said:

When do the holiday sales begin in America?

There isn't a "Christmas Rush" in Japan, i think the first week of January is usually the biggest week of the year, if I remember correctly.

quetz67

Banned
BishopLamont said:
Underwhelming numbers for SMG but not a surprise considering first day numbers. Let's see how good Mario's legs are.
With all the low gravity stuff his legs probably became rather weak

Just by reading the posts so far, I can tell this is going to be a discussion filled with tragedy and comedy.

Super Mario Galaxy ain't leading but two things right now: jack and shit. Oops, Jack just called, he's leaving town.

The only hope to energize Wii sales enough to put its weekly sales into the stratosphere again is Wii Fit. Does that really make everyone happy?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
It's annoying when people belittle the success of ZTP.
It's nearing 6 million world wide (both SKU's combined). But I guess Western money doesnt count as much as Eastern monies to some?

SMG big dissapointment; but is it surprising? Games just don't sell well on Wii in Japan right now.

FFTA2 is a big dissapointment too, bummer. I just got Luso in FFT: Lions War and now I was even more excited for FFTA2, shame SE likely isnt anymore

John Harker said:
It's annoying when people belittle the success of ZTP.
It's nearing 6 million world wide (both SKU's combined). But I guess Western money doesnt count as much as Eastern monies to some?
In a Japanese sales thread where we're discussing Japanese sales and Japanese trends? No, Western money doesn't count worth shit, I'm afraid.

Haunted

Opoona. :(

DeaconKnowledge said:
There are some things I don't understand:

How the hell did Ace Combat 6 succeed where Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey, and Eternal Sonata failed?

250k first week for Mario? In Japan 2D Mario > 3D Mario, yes, but wow, that is surprisingly underwhelming.
That's what we all want to know. :/

I just don't see the point in combining TP sales when discussing the sales potential of a Wii game, because it's not as if everyone who bought the GCN version went out and bought a Wii right afterwards. In fact, I would guess the opposite is true (that people with the GCN version of TP and RE4 would probably be the last ones to pick up a Wii).

So no, in a Japanese sales thread, I would think that Western sales don't mean much, and GCN sales mean even less.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Segata Sanshiro said:
In a Japanese sales thread where we're discussing Japanese sales and Japanese trends? No, Western money doesn't count worth shit, I'm afraid.

That isn't localized to MC threads; you find that anywhere ZTP is discussed.

I just don't see the point in combining TP sales when discussing the sales potential of a Wii game, because it's not as if everyone who bought the GCN version went out and bought a Wii right afterwards. In fact, I would guess the opposite is true (that people with the GCN version of TP and RE4 would probably be the last ones to pick up a Wii).

So no, in a Japanese sales thread, I would think that Western sales don't mean much, and GCN sales mean even less.

I meant as a comment to the quality of ZTP, its worth as a Zelda title, and its overall reception. I don't care about system wars.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:
Just by reading the posts so far, I can tell this is going to be a discussion filled with tragedy and comedy.

Super Mario Galaxy ain't leading but two things right now: jack and shit. Oops, Jack just called, he's leaving town.

The only hope to energize Wii sales enough to put its weekly sales into the stratosphere again is Wii Fit. Does that really make everyone happy?

Well, I do think that one of the factors that the DS did so well is expand into markets that no videogame console ever explored. I think that those expansion sales helped make the Japanese market a lot bigger. Now without any of those titles for the Wii or any other console we see what the traditional market consists of and its not that big at all. Its really important that titles like Wiifit expand the market so that new people join the industry and make way for the more hardcore games. I for one am happy WiiFit exists because it will lead to a lot of games for the Wii in the future.

SMG fans continue to eat crow.

130,000 was not impressive. Why people thought it was a shoe-in for 350,000 was beyond me.

It is not going to have another 250,000 sales this week. It might be around 100,000. Then 60,000 the following week. Then maybe 30-40k.

kay

ksamedi said:
I for one am happy WiiFit exists because it will lead to a lot of games for the Wii in the future.

Konami and Capcom already have casual minigames headed for the system, the type of games wii fit attracts is not what you think.

ksamedi

kay said:
Konami and Capcom already have casual minigames headed for the system, the type of games wii fit attracts is not what you think.

Huh? What minigame has Capcom have for the system? Anyway, I think your wrong simply because the DS went trough the same cycle of casual games expanding the userbase and later pulling in hardcore gamers. The DS has the most varied library of Japan right now and thats because of casual games.

The difference, ksamedi, is this: On the Nintendo DS, while casual games certainly posted huge numbers, traditional games weren't doing any worse than they did on the GBA. On the Nintendo Wii, the casual games are posting huge numbers, and traditional games are doing a little bit to a hell of a lot worse than they did on the previous generation's console leader, the PS2.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:
The difference, ksamedi, is this: On the Nintendo DS, while casual games certainly posted huge numbers, traditional games weren't doing any worse than they did on the GBA. On the Nintendo Wii, the casual games are posting huge numbers, and traditional games are doing a little bit to a hell of a lot worse than they did on the previous generation's console leader, the PS2.

With traditional games you mean 3D Nintendo games? They have been doing bad for a while now. Atleast worse than there 2D prequels. I don't se any worthwhile 3d party effort bombing yet, and no Opoona is not one of them.

BioHazard Party

Well, thats what you make of it. Its a real game for most people.

Sharp

Well, unfortunately it looks like I was right, and 3D Mario is not going to be an incredible seller, of systems or otherwise, in Japan. Obviously we'll need to see many more weeks of sales before declaring it underwhelming, but let it hereby be known that I did predict this, and I was attacked many times for my prediction, and now that it has come to pass apparently a lot of people believed this beforehand anyway. Fun times!

Top Bottom