• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

ksamedi said:
With traditional games you mean 3D Nintendo games? They have been doing bad for a while now. Atleast worse than there 2D prequels. I don't se any worthwhile 3d party effort bombing yet, and no Opoona is not one of them.

Well, thats what you make of it. Its a real game for most people.
No, by traditional games I mean anything other than Wii fucking Sports Play Party Training.

Zack & Wiki isn't worthwhile? Super Mario Galaxy isn't better than Super Mario Sunshine?

Games are selling worse on the Wii than they did on the PS2. That's the bottom line. That's the difference that makes comparisons to the DS invalid.

Kildace

ksamedi said:
With traditional games you mean 3D Nintendo games? They have been doing bad for a while now. Atleast worse than there 2D prequels. I don't se any worthwhile 3d party effort bombing yet, and no Opoona is not one of them.

Are you saying that 3D third party traditionnal games are more likely to sell on the Wii than a 3D Mario?

kay

But remember everybody, it doesn't make it worse or better if it doesn't outsell Sunshine, it's just sales.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:
No, by traditional games I mean anything other than Wii fucking Sports Play Party Training.

Well 250k is not that bad you know, It will probably do Mario Party numbers, maybe more, maybe less but compareble. Thats not bad. Wiisports deserves to sell really, and Wiiplay is just a controller with free game. Even Nintendo still is clearing there Gamecube pipeline, which is there worst selling console and was declared dead a long time before Gamecube sequels appeared on Wii. Its only natural that they don't sell like a true Wii game.

ksamedi said:
Well 250k is not that bad you know, It will probably do Mario Party numbers, maybe more, maybe less but compareble. Thats not bad. Wiisports deserves to sell really, and Wiiplay is just a controller with free game. Even Nintendo still is clearing there Gamecube pipeline, which is there worst selling console and was declared dead a long time before Gamecube sequels appeared on Wii. Its only natural that they don't sell like a true Wii game.
It's not bad, but it's worse than Super Mario Sunshine did on nearly half the install base. This is not a good sign!

Kildace

kay said:
But remember everybody, it doesn't make it worse or better if it doesn't outsell Sunshine, it's just sales.

Everyone on GAF agrees that Galaxy is 100 times better than Sunshine. This is why these numbers are so disheartening.

Wii numbers are disappointing. SMG numbers are in line of what to expect after first day sales. It'll have legs and will probably hit 1m but it's performance is only decent as is.

pswii60 said:
You're shitting me. In almost every Opoona thread I've read about how the Japanese are really excited about the game etc. 3k?!
Huh? There were people excited for the game in the threads but I highly doubt they were japanese.

Kenka said:
Next bet is "I will shave my balls if SMG doesn't hit 1 mio until Xmas".
Bye. Oh and btw you should shave your balls regardless - better for the ladies. Just sayin'.

ksamedi

Kildace said:
Are you saying that 3D third party traditionnal games are more likely to sell on the Wii than a 3D Mario?

Well, yes it could be. 3D Nintendo games is what made them go down from first to third in the first place. They are fun and a lot of people like them, but they don't posses the system selling power anymore. Its probably because they lost there simple nature of pick up and play gameplay. The Wii is bringing this back for Nintendo. Wiisports isn't really that much different from Mario Bros.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Complete bomb for Galaxy, no other way to spin it. Galaxy had every possible advantage over Sunshine and couldn't beat it's first week? bad bad sign. BAD.

Everyone who said Galaxy was going to be huge and push the Wii to new heights needs to take his or her crow and shuddup.

What's also concerning is the "bump" Galaxy gave Wii hardware.

Segata said it exactly right- Nintendo is now going to have to rely on Wii Fit to give it momentum.

RE:UC, NiGHTS, Chocobo...I'm really doubting these games if freaking Mario Galaxy can't even come close to expectations.

Segata Sanshiro said:
There's a chance it could outsell Mario Sunshine due to the time of the year it has been released. Wow, great victory.

Well MP8 did have a holiday that basically resulted in a 0% drop in the second week, father's day I think it was. So if SMG does outsell SMS due to the holiday, then at the very least it proves a good game can still sell better then a party game on the Wii. But in the end the power of Wii Sports is so powerful that it's basically the only thing the console is known for. It's going to take alot of good games to change this perception.

I dance on the grave of next-gen consoles!

Handheld future, ahahahaha!!!

*cough*

Seriously speaking, those sales for SMG is pretty worrisome. I wonder how the higher ups in Nintendo are responding to this.

(And before anyone comes up with a 'CHURN OUT MORE NONGAMES' joke, everyone else though of it too, and you're not funny.)

ksamedi

BishopLamont said:
Well MP8 did have a holiday that basically resulted in a 0% drop in the second week, father's day I think it was. So if SMG does outsell SMS due to the holiday, then at the very least it proves a good game can still sell better then a party game on the Wii. But in the end the power of Wii Sports is so powerful that it's basically the only thing the Japanese gaming industry is known for. It's going to take alot of good games to change this perception.

Fixed, because the traditional crowd is almost dead.

Mrbob

Too bad about Mario Galaxy. To the poster wondering why 250K is considered bad or a 'bomba', it has to do with expectations. Perhaps we should make a new thread with SMG sales predictions before the game was released? I'm not taking the time to do that though!

Segata Sanshiro said:
The difference, ksamedi, is this: On the Nintendo DS, while casual games certainly posted huge numbers, traditional games weren't doing any worse than they did on the GBA. On the Nintendo Wii, the casual games are posting huge numbers, and traditional games are doing a little bit to a hell of a lot worse than they did on the previous generation's console leader, the PS2.

Agreed. I wonder if it has to do with how Nintendo positioned the two systems. It wasn't like the DS was a massive success off the bat. Nintendo positioned it as a hardcore portable system and then gradually introduced casual games to the system, while still maintaining a decent hardcore balanced lineup. With the Wii Nintendo has gone entirely casual from the start, nearly completely ignoring the hardcore. This could be a problem as it looks like casual gamers are not interested in buying many titles. And the hardcore will stick with the DS (with now some shift to PSP) until Nintendo decides to acknowledge them on the Wii.

What a shameful bomb. That's worse than Sunshine's opening isn't it? I certainly hope this is attributed to the declining popularity of 3D Marios in Japan instead of a reflection of the Wii userbase. Absolutely pathetic.

Eteric Rice said:
Nah, that's Brawl.
Mais non, Smash is very popular in Japan.
farnham said:
actually NSMB has longer legs then Brain Age (its closing in to the 5 million range)
It depends how you look at it. NSMB has sold 5-6x its first week number, Brain Age something like 80x its first week.
Magic Mile said:
Second. Correct me if I am wrong but Super Mario Galaxy outsells every PS3 and 360 game's life to date for its 1st week and its a bomb. Once again, we need to stop over reacting.
Well of course PS3 and X360 sales suck in comparison, but what's disappointing is that even under more favorable conditions SMG seems to have failed to match its predecessor's opening.
farnham said:
wrong but close

Dynasty Warriors Gundam Edition sold like 270k LTD
Minna no Golf is also at ~330K last we saw.
goompapa said:
Almost the same situation as Twilight Princess. People who followed the japanese sales ranking immediately recognized TP as a massive disappointment sales wise. However spin doctors arose and even managed to convince the mods to ban anyone who call TP a sales disappointment.
In the end, guess who was right about TP's sales performance ?
If people disagreed about it then, why wouldn't they now? Did the Pope make an infallible declaration regarding TP's lack of success?
Segata Sanshiro said:
The difference, ksamedi, is this: On the Nintendo DS, while casual games certainly posted huge numbers, traditional games weren't doing any worse than they did on the GBA.
FFTA2 is.

[Nintex] said:
A little underwhelming I expected 300k. Mario isn't doing incredible numbers anymore. On the Gamecube Sunshine was outsold by Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. I remember reading that Mario Kart 64 was the best selling N64 game. Mario is still a huge franchise with a loyal fanbase, but it isn't a earth shattering event anymore.

Bullshits. New Super Mario Bros. sold almost 5 millions in Japan and 11.5 millions worldwide. You can say that 3D Mario games are not powerful in Japan: this is true.

goompapa

JoshuaJSlone said:
Mais non, Smash is very popular in Japan.

It depends how you look at it. NSMB has sold 5-6x its first week number, Brain Age something like 80x its first week.

Well of course PS3 and X360 sales suck in comparison, but what's disappointing is that even under more favorable conditions SMG seems to have failed to match its predecessor's opening.

Minna no Golf is also at ~330K last we saw.

If people disagreed about it then, why wouldn't they now? Did the Pope make an infallible declaration regarding TP's lack of success?

FFTA2 is.

:lol Actually, he did. The Pope of gaming, that is. Miyamoto admitted TP performance was very disappointing in Japan.

Weisheit

Wow, bomba total for MG and Wii sales, I remember some folks contemplating Galaxy following in NSMB's footsteps. Hopefully it has long legs and doesn't end up in the same boat as Zelda.

Maybe the Japanese taste for traditional games simply isn't what it used to be?

kay said:
Biohazard Party
You're an idiot.

schuelma said:
Complete bomb for Galaxy, no other way to spin it. Galaxy had every possible advantage over Sunshine and couldn't beat it's first week? bad bad sign. BAD.

Everyone who said Galaxy was going to be huge and push the Wii to new heights needs to take his or her crow and shuddup.

What's also concerning is the "bump" Galaxy gave Wii hardware.

Segata said it exactly right- Nintendo is now going to have to rely on Wii Fit to give it momentum.

RE:UC, NiGHTS, Chocobo...I'm really doubting these games if freaking Mario Galaxy can't even come close to expectations.

These numbers make no sense at all. How do you explain that Dragon Quest Swords pushed the Wii over 100k ? For me it's a marketing problem. This game has been not hyped enough. Even not closely to DQS. Nintendo is to blame and not the game.

Pureauthor said:
Dragona okayed WW sales discussion in MC threads a while ago.
Only so we would stop being meta, though. Basically she okayed them if we've completely exhausted the topic at hand. I really don't feel we have.

Weisheit

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
These numbers make no sense at all. How do you explain that Dragon Quest Swords pushed the Wii over 100k ? For me it's a marketing problem. This game has been not hyped enough. Even not closely to DQS. Nintendo is to blame and not the game.
Swords didn't push Wii to 100k more supply did.

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
These numbers make no sense at all. How do you explain that Dragon Quest Swords pushed the Wii over 100k ? For me it's a marketing problem. This game has been not hyped enough. Even not closely to DQS.

Well to be honest I don't think DQ:S pushed the Wii above 100K- Way back when, Wii Sports was still huge and the Wii was still selling out- I think the higher number may have been more about Nintendo shipping 100K then some huge new demand.

Segata Sanshiro said:
Only so we would stop being meta, though. Basically she okayed them if we've completely exhausted the topic at hand. I really don't feel we have.

SMG bombed relative to expectations and prior perfomances in the franchise. Topic exhausted.

Actually, no.

Next-gen console gaming is dead. Bring out the hula hoops.

There, now it's exhausted.

kay

Weisheit said:
Wow, bomba total for MG and Wii sales, I remember some folks contemplating Galaxy following in NSMB's footsteps. Hopefully it has long legs and doesn't end up in the same boat as Zelda.

Maybe the Japanese taste for traditional games simply isn't what it used to be?

You're an idiot.
bu bu bu

The Experiment said:
The problem is that Nintendo fans believed their own delusions that the Wii and DS were the same machines that would deliver similar performances.
This isn't just a Nintendo fan problem, though. The lead console is not bringing sales. Neither are the other two. If you like Japanese games and have issues with portables, now is an appropriate time to start panicking.

Pureauthor said:
Dragona okayed WW sales discussion in MC threads a while ago.

It's ok to say something like "The Wii is experiencing shortages WW and Japan is taking a big hit from it", but to spout WW numbers for a game to justify it's disappointing number's in Japan is not useful.

Grecco

How are people discussing the numbers already? Dont they get posted later tonight?

Anyways I wonder if Reggie gets to bitch out Iwata now? Remember how Iwata complained about Brain Age Sales in the US? Well Reggie should get to complain about low Mario sales in Japan.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
This isn't just a Nintendo fan problem, though. The lead console is not bringing sales. Neither are the other two. If you like Japanese games and have issues with portables, now is an appropriate time to start panicking.

Yeah, if I'm a 3rd party..where the hell do I go? Not the 360. Possibly gamble on the PS3, though that doesn't seem wise. Wii? Big install base, weak "traditional" game sales.

Looks like PS2 and DS to me (with some PSP sprinkled in).

schuelma

thefro said:
Mario's going to have legs... the game is way too good for it not to have them.

You'd think, but who knows at this point. It supposedly had a better opening day than MP8 and couldn't beat out it's first week, so who knows what kind of legs it will have.

TheBranca18 said:
I don't think many people will ever realize that. Sales != Quality

...Um, the people here complaining are doing so precisely because of that. They believe the quality of SMG far outstrips it's currently shoddy commercial performance.

thefro

BishopLamont said:
It's ok to say something like "The Wii is experiencing shortages WW and Japan is taking a big hit from it", but to spout WW numbers for a game to justify it's disappointing number's in Japan is not useful.

Well, that justifies it to the company making the game. If TP bombs in Japan but outsells every game in the series except OOT worldwide, then it did really well.

TheBranca18 said:
Actually, I think only a select few retards don't realize that. They're certainly outnumbered by the amount of retards that put up that strawman argument against sales discussion, at any rate.

Kildace

TheBranca18 said:

Please quote any post in this thread that puts into question the quality of Super Mario Galaxy as a game.

Evlar

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Mm-hmm. It's time to start getting used to the idea of jRPGs on handhelds, if you aren't already.

Dragon

Banned
Pureauthor said:
...Um, the people here complaining are doing so precisely because of that. They believe the quality of SMG far outstrips it's currently shoddy commercial performance.

Quality and sales aren't directly related.

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
These numbers make no sense at all. How do you explain that Dragon Quest Swords pushed the Wii over 100k ?
A) The bump to 100K came during the shortage times when they were regularly at 60-70K anyway.
B) As the first Dragon Quest/Square-Enix game on the system it was attracting a significantly different slice of audience.
The Experiment said:
The problem is that Nintendo fans believed their own delusions that the Wii and DS were the same machines that would deliver similar performances.
SMG isn't exploding, but this is too far in the opposite direction; it's not like DS had had better openings by this point in its life. Through the beginning of November 2005, the biggest DS opening was Mario Kart DS at 224K (Famitsu). Though it was not far from having a 335K week for Animal Crossing in late November and a 416K week for Brain Age 2 in late December. Even to present day, there are but 10 DS games with bigger first weeks.

EDIT: Oops, I misread month and day, so Mario Kart DS hadn't launched yet. The actual biggest first week through early November 2005 for DS was... Jump Super Stars at 202K, I think?

Dragon

Banned
Kildace said:
Please quote any post in this thread that puts into question the quality of Super Mario Galaxy as a game.

I'm not even sure where you're going here. Did you think I questioned the quality of the game? I was simply saying that people are confused as to why a quality game like Galaxy isn't selling, and I'm saying they're not directly related.

Top Bottom