• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/22 - 10/28 2007

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
Nintendo needs to get their shit together, because if I were a third party looking at this data, I know what I would be doing.
Making a PS2/Wii game or a Wii game with DS spin-off while waiting to see how Monster Hunter 3 does.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:
You're right. I guess I wouldn't bother putting anything on the Wii at all, then.

I guess blaming the userbase is the easy thing to do. Like blaming the teacher for getting a bad grade.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Personally I would like to see what they could do on Animal Crossing Wii, the DS version had a lot of improvements and some downgrades since it was on a small cartridge. With a 4.7 Gig DVD on a console that is a little more improved than the cube should be a real treat.

ksamedi said:
I guess blaming the userbase is the easy thing to do. Like blaming the teacher for getting a bad grade.
The userbase is what it is. As a third party, what's my financial incentive to try to grow the hardcore demographic on the Wii when I have two other perfectly valid systems to put games on?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Umbrella Chronicles comes out in what, a week?

That is going to say a lot, one way or the other.

ethelred

Boys and girls, take notes. This is some fucking epic spin. This is how you do it.

ksamedi said:
Huh? What minigame has Capcom have for the system? Anyway, I think your wrong simply because the DS went trough the same cycle of casual games expanding the userbase and later pulling in hardcore gamers. The DS has the most varied library of Japan right now and thats because of casual games.

ksamedi said:
With traditional games you mean 3D Nintendo games? They have been doing bad for a while now. Atleast worse than there 2D prequels. I don't se any worthwhile 3d party effort bombing yet, and no Opoona is not one of them.
Well, thats what you make of it. Its a real game for most people.

ksamedi said:
Well 250k is not that bad you know, It will probably do Mario Party numbers, maybe more, maybe less but compareble. Thats not bad. Wiisports deserves to sell really, and Wiiplay is just a controller with free game. Even Nintendo still is clearing there Gamecube pipeline, which is there worst selling console and was declared dead a long time before Gamecube sequels appeared on Wii. Its only natural that they don't sell like a true Wii game.

ksamedi said:
Well, yes it could be. 3D Nintendo games is what made them go down from first to third in the first place. They are fun and a lot of people like them, but they don't posses the system selling power anymore. Its probably because they lost there simple nature of pick up and play gameplay. The Wii is bringing this back for Nintendo. Wiisports isn't really that much different from Mario Bros.

ksamedi said:

ksamedi said:
Well, Nintendo seems to be able to sell stuff on it. They also sell stuff on the DS so they have two platforms instead of one. And besides, I would hardly call the PSP a good alternative just because a couple of games sold well.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:
The userbase is what it is. As a third party, what's my financial incentive to try to grow the hardcore demographic on the Wii when I have two other perfectly valid systems to put games on?

Well, Nintendo seems to be able to sell stuff on it. They also sell stuff on the DS so they have two platforms instead of one. And besides, I would hardly call the PSP a good alternative just because a couple of games sold well.

schuelma

ksamedi said:

And what kind of "stuff" has sold?

Wii Sports (which I enjoy BTW), Wii Play, and MP8.

Doesn't exactly send a good message to 3rd parties now does it.

ksamedi

schuelma said:
And what kind of "stuff" has sold?

Wii Sports (which I enjoy BTW), Wii Play, and MP8.

Doesn't exactly send a good message to 3rd parties now does it.

Yeah sure, a lot of third parties would kill for even Zelda level sales, or Wario Ware.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
damn you people are taking these sales talk too seriosly...smg numbers aren`t good - but some you guyz are overeacting..... if ssbb would sell only 250K THAN we should be really worried...

schuelma said:
Time to bail out my friend, they're looking for blood. :lol

funny :lol ...but also sad...

ksamedi said:
This is a fun role-playing exercise. You're Nintendo and I'm the third party that you're trying to convince to put a game on the Wii. *

Okay, so my response for this. But Nintendo, even your old franchises aren't selling as well as they did on the Gamecube, and none of my mini-game compilations are selling well, in spite of them being generally as good as Mario Party and Wii Play.

*Note this is already an unrealistic scenario as it actually implies Nintendo tries hard at all to convince a third party to put a game on their systems.

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Please don't insinuate that I'm one of the doofuses that expected 1.1 million units week one. I'm not.

The problem is that unless Mario's legs have gotten longer, Galaxy will be the lowest selling of the three 3d Marios. And irrelevant to what the game is--the fact that ANY franchise would sell better on the Cube than on the Wii is distressing.

The Cube was an unmitigated disaster. Even moreso than the disastrous N64 (in Japan). Software merely equaling or not even equaling the Cube is not a good thing.
WTF? When did I say that. My only point in this thread is that lately, predicting how a game will end in terms of numbers, by it's first week has not been accurate. Many major DS game launched at similar numbers, under their GBA prequel, and in the end they did fine, hell some did amazing.

One week of Galaxy sales isn't enough to start questioning if the Wii can ever substantially move software. Hold the doom and gloom for at least a month.

Fady K

Yikes, what a crazy week. Galaxy will most likely sell extremely well but darn is that an underwhelming number for the first week. Please dont shoot me for this guys, but im happy that FFTA2 sold badly - I just dont want anymore anything similiar to FFTA. I mean if they made a similiar game to the first one on GBA with the same look and an even worst story (how is that even possible??) then this game doesn't deserve good sales. Mario Galaxy deserves a lot more though.

schuelma

Segata Sanshiro said:
*Note this is already an unrealistic scenario as it actually implies Nintendo tries hard at all to convince a third party to put a game on their systems.

Do we have any proof that Nintendo isn't courting 3rd parties?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I just found out about the Ace Combat 6 sales in Japan. If MS is smart, they'll dance with the angels (sorry!), and throw moneyhats at Namco to get exclusivity dibs on Ace Combat 7. :D

ethelred

schuelma said:
Do we have any proof that Nintendo isn't courting 3rd parties?

The proof is in the pudding.

And right now I don't have any damned pudding.

twinturbo2 said:
I just found out about the Ace Combat 6 sales in Japan. If MS is smart, they'll dance with the angels (sorry!), and throw moneyhats at Namco to get exclusivity dibs on Ace Combat 7. :D

AC6's opening week is about a third of AC5's.

schuelma

ethelred said:
The proof is in the pudding.

And right now I don't have any damned pudding.

You honestly don't think 3rd parties themselves were at least hesitant to go full out on the Wii because of the risk involved?

I agree that now it's no excuse, but a year ago I don't think Nintendo was in anywhere near the position of strength they find themselves in now.

Evlar

Banned
Let's frame things in this manner, and maybe Josh can help me out here... Which console titles will have 1 million unit sales in Japan this year, and how does this compare to past years? For 2007 I see only Wii Sports and Wii Play, correct? And Wii Fit if it really explodes next month (but probably not, since Nintendo may not have that many units available even if the demand is there). That seems an extraordinarily small number of million-plus titles. Perhaps we could lower the cut-off to 500k, but that would only add Mario Party 8 to the list (I think), I have no confidence that SMG can reach that mark by December 31. And I'm talking ALL home consoles, not just Wii.

I'm seeing a large-scale demographic trend away from console software with the exception of one category. Granted, the biggest non-Nintendo franchises didn't see main-series releases this year but it's hardly encouraging when we only anticipate 500k+ sales in a year from extreme high-budget properties like Final Fantasy and Gran Turismo.

I want to reiterate, I'm not trying to put forth the notion that Nintendo is fucked here. I'm quite certain Nintendo is going to be more profitable than ever this generation. Someone is getting fucked, but it's not Nintendo.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
WTF? When did I say that. My only point in this thread is that lately, predicting how a game will end in terms of numbers, by it's first week has not been accurate. Many major DS game launched at similar numbers, under their GBA prequel, and in the end they did fine, hell some did amazing.

Comparing the DS to the GBA is comparing an unknown to a successful system and asking "Can our new system be any more successful?"

Comparing the Wii to the GCN is comparing an unknown to a complete disaster. Do you see how the question here is a little different.

If a DS title had done worse than its GBA predecessor over its life, it would not have been a big deal. If Wii titles do worse than their GCN predecessors, quite frankly that's pathetic.

One week of Galaxy sales isn't enough to start questioning if the Wii can ever substantially move software. Hold the doom and gloom for at least a month.

Around 50% of my post in reply to you was me saying exactly this and arguing against both ethelred and Segata on the issue.

schuelma

Grecco said:
It will say the same thing. On Rail shooters outside of arcades bomb.

It's still a Resident Evil game offering a lot of fan service that I imagine will be marketed well by Capcom.

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
This is a fun role-playing exercise. You're Nintendo and I'm the third party that you're trying to convince to put a game on the Wii. *

Okay, so my response for this. But Nintendo, even your old franchises aren't selling as well as they did on the Gamecube, and none of my mini-game compilations are selling well, in spite of them being generally as good as Mario Party and Wii Play.

Well third party, considering that the PS3 has seen rough times, I recommend creating a multi-platform strategy with the PS2 and the Wii, with the eventual dissolving of the PS2 support as that console sales continue to lower. You save money by avoiding HD costs, have a strong presence on 2 consoles, and have a seamless transition from one console leader to the other.

I'm assuming this is how most conversations are going, since as far I know no major eastern publisher has dropped Wii software support.

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:

Make something new then which is not a minigame and is actually fun.

jj984jj said:
Nintendo has turned Japan into handheld game nation. :(

fixed

PSP is selling better than PS2 and PS3 and since slim version and new colors introduction, sales have got a bump, not only about hw, but sw too due to a decent line-up.
I don't know how long this situation will last, but actually japanese people seem like to be more interested in DS and PSP games. Is it a coincidence Wii sales started to decline while PSP sales grew up in September ?

Wouldn't my resources be better allocated to a DS game or a PSP game while you guys sort this transition stuff out? I can't really afford a bomb like my friend Capcom had with Zack & Wiki.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Third parties that made the bulk of their money on console games last gen look fucked to me! Who looks fucked to you, Segata?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Sphinx said:
Let's frame things in this manner, and maybe Josh can help me out here... Which console titles will have 1 million unit sales in Japan this year, and how does this compare to past years? For 2007 I see only Wii Sports and Wii Play, correct?

Mario Party 8 will likely cross 1m from Jan1 to Dec31. Other than that, that's it.

Perhaps we could lower the cut-off to 500k, but that would only add Mario Party 8 to the list (I think)

Warriors Orochi on PS2. It's possible the SRW OG game from earlier this year could creep to 500k. Super Paper Mario. DQS. If WarioWare has been selling well, hypothetically WarioWare.

That's it though.

schuelma said:
Like Zack and Wiki?

Enter litany of 'It was kiddy-looking and poorly marketed and an P&C ADV and...'

Like I've said so many times before 'It didn't sell so bad if you factor in XYZ means 'It sold like dog shit and XYZ are the reasons why.''

Y2Kev said:
Third parties that made the bulk of their money on console games last gen look fucked to me! Who looks fucked to you, Segata?
Well Kev, I think that's a good answer. I'd also like to submit for approval the hardcore console gamer! He's looking sort of fucked at the moment, wouldn't you say?

Grecco

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wouldn't my resources be better allocated to a DS game or a PSP game while you guys sort this transition stuff out? I can't really afford a bomb like my friend Capcom had with Zack & Wiki.

That was a bomb?

ksamedi

Segata Sanshiro said:

Z&W is a niche game which is hard to sell, I thought you fired the guys who made you Okami. Just go make stuff like Resident evil and you'll do ok.

Weisheit

Segata Sanshiro said:
I want to reiterate, I'm not trying to put forth the notion that Nintendo is fucked here. I'm quite certain Nintendo is going to be more profitable than ever this generation. [I]Someone[/I] is getting fucked, but it's not Nintendo.
Which is maybe why Nintendo doesn't give a shit about third parties...

Sweet, sweet revenge.

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Comparing the DS to the GBA is comparing an unknown to a successful system and asking "Can our new system be any more successful?"

Comparing the Wii to the GCN is comparing an unknown to a complete disaster. Do you see how the question here is a little different.

If a DS title had done worse than its GBA predecessor over its life, it would not have been a big deal. If Wii titles do worse than their GCN predecessors, quite frankly that's pathetic.
But we don't know the final sales of galaxy yet. If you look at most Nintendo produced wii games they sell well for a month or 2. Even if Galaxy bombs by the standards of other Nintendo games there is still a damn good chance it will outsell Sunshine. If it does okay It will definitely outsell it, and if it becomes a beast it will probably outsell Mario 64

Stumpokapow said:
Around 50% of my post in reply to you was me saying exactly this and arguing against both ethelred and Segata on the issue.
That wasn't entirely directed at you.

ethelred

Stumpokapow said:

I'm really not being doom & gloom here. I'm not saying the situation can't be corrected, and I'm not saying the future is sealed against game success on the system. I'm just noting that there are some pretty bad trends right here, and to any reasonable person, big red flashing sirens and lights should be going off saying "Danger, danger."

Y2Kev said:

They need to adapt or die. The DS and PSP are both sitting there being underutilized.

twinturbo2 said:
67K isn't anything to sneeze at, especially for an X360 game in Japan.

It's about a third of the first week sales for the last Ace Combat game. I sneeze at that.

i will say one thing, it certainly dispells the crazy notion that the Wii is only selling to Gamecube owners. there's evidentally still a bunch of gamecube owners that haven't made the switch yet.

Saitou

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:
I want to reiterate, I'm not trying to put forth the notion that Nintendo is fucked here. I'm quite certain Nintendo is going to be more profitable than ever this generation. Someone is getting fucked, but it's not Nintendo.
youngsegsavvy.jpg

Eteric Rice

The Experiment said:
The problem is that Nintendo fans believed their own delusions that the Wii and DS were the same machines that would deliver similar performances.

Sounds like the Sony fans that believed the PS3 would be the next PS2.

Top Bottom