• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

Eteric Rice

Green Shinobi said:
Sunshine was the highest reviewed platformer last gen, but no one remembers that.

True, but the competition in terms of platformers wasn't that great.

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah I'm not getting the hate retcon. I can understand hating the Blue Coins, but the game was still great. Specially the secret levels.

I don't hate it, it just wasn't a hugely amazingly awesometastic sequel to Mario 64 that everyone wanted.

Galaxy on the other hand...

Dragona Akehi said:
Yeah I'm not getting the hate retcon. I can understand hating the Blue Coins, but the game was still great. Specially the secret levels.
Pffft, blue coins were great. By making them individual goals rather than needing to get multiples as with SM64's red coins, they became like mini-shines. Some were a pain to get (I never got them all), but since the game let you get away with only having half the shines to reach the end, it would be perfectly possible to ignore them completely.

The Innocent X said:
But never have they held the power over the industry they do now.
...huh?

The freaking OP said:
01. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 251,000 / NEW
02. [360] Ace Combat 6: Fires of Liberation (Bandai-Namco) - 77,000 / NEW
03. [NDS] Final Fantasy Tactics A2 (Square-Enix) - 51,000 / 193,000
04. [PS2] Super Robot Wars Scramble Commander the 2nd (Banpresto) - 21,000 / NEW
05. [NDS] DS Literature Collection (Nintendo) - 18,000 / 72,000
06. [NDS] DS Nishimura Kyotarou Suspense Detective Series: Deadly Intent (Tecmo) - 18,000 / 115,000
07. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 16,000 / 2,182,000
08. [NDS] Flash Focus: Vision Training in Minutes a Day (Nintendo) - 15,000 / 676,000
09. [NDS] World Soccer Winning Eleven DS: Goal to Goal (Konami) - 15,000 / 44,000
10. [NDS] Pokémon Mysterious Dungeon: Time Expedition Party (Pokémon) - 14,000 / 552,000
Granted, I have no idea what Literature Collection is, but I'm taking a stab in the dark here and assuming it's a Literature Collection.

So ultimately your huge problem is with...Flash Focus?

JoshuaJSlone said:
Pffft, blue coins were great. By making them individual goals rather than needing to get multiples as with SM64's red coins, they became like mini-shines. Some were a pain to get (I never got them all), but since the game let you get away with only having half the shines to reach the end, it would be perfectly possible to ignore them completely.

It's hard to ignore things completely if you're one of those people who has to find EVERYTHING.

The problem with Sunshine is that they don't even tell you if you've gotten them all in a stage. (If I recall correctly.)

ShockingAlberto said:
...huh?

Granted, I have no idea what Literature Collection is, but I'm taking a stab in the dark here and assuming it's a Literature Collection.

So ultimately your huge problem is with...Flash Focus?

Your being deliberately obtuse.

The Innocent X said:
Your being deliberately obtuse.
And you came in to a weekly thread to bitch about minigames controlling the industry in a week where almost none of them even broke the top ten.

In the best case scenario, you had nothing relevant to say.

ShockingAlberto said:
And you came in to a weekly thread to bitch about minigames controlling the industry in a week where almost none of them even broke the top ten.

In the best case scenario, you had nothing relevant to say.

The discussion was about the relative sales of Wii Fit and SMG. I was commenting on that, expressing my distaste for the Minigame genre, and opining the control that these easy to make, profitable games were exerting on the industry, at the expense of more complex, storyboarded games. Then you jump in and bring up one weeks worth of figures as a way of disproving a trend? You just felt the need to have a go at me and reached for the nearest handy thing

Case in point, the lack of sales of the excellent viva pinata, and the result

Christine

Dragona Akehi said:
It's hard to ignore things completely if you're one of those people who has to find EVERYTHING.

The problem with Sunshine is that they don't even tell you if you've gotten them all in a stage. (If I recall correctly.)

The real problem is that many of them only appear when certain shines are selected as the level goal, so that you've either got to go OCD on the game and explore every corner of every level once for each selectable shine goal, or just get a checklist and spoil all of the "finding" for yourself. It's therefore very difficult to enjoy looking for blue coins.

The Innocent X said:
The discussion was about the relative sales of Wii Fit and SMG. I was commenting on that, expressing my distaste for the Minigame genre, and opining the control that these easy to make, profitable games were exerting on the industry, at the expense of more complex, storyboarded games. Then you jump in and bring up one weeks worth of figures as a way of disproving a trend? You just felt the need to have a go at me and reached for the nearest handy thing
And yet, still, your comments are incredibly irrelevant and, now that they have actual context, mind-bendingly stupid. What do you think funds games like Super Mario Galaxy? I will give you a hint - it's not Twilight Princess.

Case in point, the lack of sales of the excellent viva pinata, and the result
Right, because there were no other reasons Viva Pinata could have sold poorly other than minigame collections taking over the industry. That's it.

I really would like SGM to go on to sell lots, but this thread really does remind of a year ago Twilight Priness. Even I said it would go on to selll 1 million, and that its a launch title yada yada yada ya, but I have this big ball of bitternes stuck in my throat, telling me it ain't going to crack a million.

We'll see.

ShockingAlberto said:
Right, because there were no other reasons Viva Pinata could have sold poorly other than minigame collections taking over the industry. That's it.

No, its the other way round. Viva Pinata sells badly. Whats the solution? Make the sequel a shitty mini game collection! It takes half the time to develop, and sadly, it will probably sell about the same amount.

The Innocent X said:
No, its the other way round. Viva Pinata sells badly. Whats the solution? Make the sequel a shitty mini game collection! It takes half the time to develop, and sadly, it will probably sell about the same amount.
And you think this is a recent thing?

Eteric Rice

The Innocent X said:
The sheer number of minigame collections is higher than ever before, yes.

Well, if we're lucky, developers will continue to play follow the leader and make us some decent platformers instead of shooters! :D

Eteric Rice said:
Well, if we're lucky, developers will continue to play follow the leader and make us some decent platformers instead of shooters! :D

I think I`m just too oldschool, but I`m sure back in the day sales were more even across the genres. Or did it just seem that way?

The Innocent X said:
The sheer number of minigame collections is higher than ever before, yes.
Are we talking about "sheer number" now? First it was how much "power" they had over the industry, which you insisted was now greater than it ever has been before, and then your example of this was Viva Pinata, which did not do well at retail, spinning off in to a party game, which you're assuming will do as well if not better. You're sort of moving the goal posts all over here.

And actually, I would be interested in the numbers on that, if you don't mind. Not the sales, but rather how there are more minigame collections now than there were ever before. Because it's probably not true, but I am curious how you intend to make the argument and I'll agree I'm wrong once you show me.

ShockingAlberto said:
And actually, I would be interested in the numbers on that, if you don't mind. Not the sales, but rather how there are more minigame collections now than there were ever before. Because it's probably not true, but I am curious how you intend to make the argument and I'll agree I'm wrong once you show me.

I won`t be providing figures on that. Feel free to research it yourself. If you come up with anything interesting, drop me a PM.

On the other hand, just consider you won the argument, if you`d rather.

31./32. [PSP] Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops+ (Konami)
32./17. [NDS] Taiko Drum Master DS (Bandai-Namco)
33./00. [NDS] Sangokushi DS 2 (Koei)
34./43. [NDS] More English Training (Nintendo)
35./44. [NDS] Brain Age (Nintendo)
36./08. [PS2] God of War II (Capcom)
37./41. [PS3] Hot Shots Golf 5 (Sony)
38./04. [PS3] Imabikisou (Sega)
39./00. [PS2] G1 Jockey 4 2007 (Koei)
40./38. [PS2] Jikkyou Powerful Major League 2 (Konami)
41./00. [NDS] English Training (Nintendo)
42./00. [NDS] English Test DS (Rocket Co.)
43./40. [WII] Dragon Ball Z: Sparking! Meteor (Bandai-Namco)
44./42. [NDS] Tashi Ten (Nintendo)
45./20. [PS2] Volleyball World Cup: Venus Evolution (Spike)
46./00. [WII] Wario Ware Smooth Moves (Nintendo)
47./21. [PS2] Seaman 2 (Sega)
48./47. [PSP] Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters GX: Tag Force 2 (Konami)
49./00. [NDS] Phoenix Wright 3 (Capcom)
50./00. [NDS] Pokémon Diamond (Pokémon)

NDS - 25
PS2 - 8
WII - 7
PSP - 5
360 - 3
PS3 - 2

hardware.gif

streams.jpg

Code:
Hardware - This Week | Last Week |       YTD |        LTD
1. NDS   -    78,597 |    76,273 | 5,882,215 | 19,887,894
2. PSP   -    59,714 |    59,792 | 2,185,974 |  6,718,103
3. WII   -    37,617 |    27,502 | 2,825,884 |  3,745,527
4. 360   -    17,673 |     3,718 |   182,899 |    447,601
5. PS3   -    17,434 |    18,785 |   788,644 |  1,246,202
6. PS2   -    10,209 |    11,698 |   649,730 | 20,804,589
7. GBA   -       319 |       105 |    48,980 | 15,347,059
8. NGC   -       155 |        58 |    10,234 |  4,179,702
GBA = 0 GBA + 206 SP + 113 Micro
NDS = 45 DS + 78,552 Lite

s_20071029.png

mepaco

Never thought I would see the day. Crazy!

Smaller bump for the Wii than I thought. I'm really not understanding Japan. The holidays will be interesting.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Xbox360 and PS3 almost sold exactly the same units.

This is a heated race folks. However, I don't think it will last for long.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
WTF is Wario Ware doing back?

I know the obvious story is the streams crossing, but in the long run that means absolutely nothing.

A far more significant event IMO is Galaxy propelling Wii sales to a whopping 37K. Rather sad. PS3 might overtake Wii for a week or two if the new color hits a nerve.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Am I alone in thinking 360> means absolutely nothing?

Top Bottom