• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

Evlar

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
X360 vs PS3: PS3 leads by 798,600 in lifetime sales, but trails by 239 this week. If X360 can lead by that amount every week, it will catch up in 3,341.4 weeks (November 17, 2071).
And MS was just commenting on longer console cycles.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
OH SNAP! GO 360! LO will take it to the top! Believe!

Mrbob said:
So the 360 surpasses the PS3 for the week, but next week the PS3 will surpass the Wii due to the new white 40GB model.

Does this mean in a roundabout way the 360 surpasses the Wii in Japan now?!?!

MIND BLOWN.
Actually it just means that console gaming is dead in Japan. :(

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
_leech_ said:
Woah, Ace Combat had that big of an impact? Wow.

AC6, Idolm@ster, EDF, lower price-point plus Forza 2/Viva Pinata bundle, plus X360 Elite.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
TheRipDizz said:
What do your numbers say. I'll take your word for it.

The last time a "hardcore game" wasn't number 1 in the rankings was in the beginning of August, and that was Mario party 8.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Segata Sanshiro said:
Wow, it just squeaked it out, but it did it. Now I want to see the other streams cross.

I'm sure there are lots of kinky sex sites all over the internet where you can get your wish.

santouras

sp0rsk said:
The last time a "hardcore game" wasn't number 1 in the rankings was in the beginning of August, and that was Mario party 8.
sp0rsk, or any other jGaffers, how big was the SMG campaign? The kinda thing that you couldn't miss or was it just not pushed hard enough? I'm just wondering what kind of legs its going to have over the next 3 to 6 months

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
santouras said:
sp0rsk, or any other jGaffers, how big was the SMG campaign? The kinda thing that you couldn't miss or was it just not pushed hard enough? I'm just wondering what kind of legs its going to have over the next 3 to 6 months

Pretty hard to miss.

I think someone said it earlier, and it's pretty obvious though. Wii's big gun this christmas is Wii Fit. They just started running teaser trailers. (btw, there were no teasers for MG).

I'm surprised at the fairly lackluster sales for MG, however, I don't think week 1 will be the end.

santouras

sp0rsk said:
Pretty hard to miss.

I think someone said it earlier, and it's pretty obvious though. Wii's big gun this christmas is Wii Fit. They just started running teaser trailers. (btw, there were no teasers for MG).

I'm surprised at the fairly lackluster sales for MG, however, I don't think week 1 will be the end.

Yeah same. It looks like it really deserves to get at least a million in japan, hopefully more. I know US/PAL will help balance it out but still.....

d[-_-]b

Banned
Omar Ismail said:
Well Microsoft definitely has one first under their belt. They're the first company to have their latest console outsell the previous one in LTD.

raptorjesus.gif
Lawl not a high bar again :D.

Surprisingly steep curve on the 360 compared to the xbox; honestly thought that they were selling close to each other. I suppose if it doubles the sales of the original machine it's something... maybe. :lol

GhaleonEB

Good jump for the 360, but as with all previous spikes - it won't last. They need those kind of numbers and better all through the holidays to get any real foothold.

Psychotext said:
Surprisingly steep curve on the 360 compared to the xbox; honestly thought that they were selling close to each other. I suppose if it doubles the sales of the original machine it's something... maybe. :lol
Well it shows that Japan is still a disaster area for them, but maybe not as bad off as they thought.

They might actually hit a 3rd of the GCN's userbase in four years!

Though this line of growth, doesn't bode well. Six or seven generations before MS hits the 10 million unit mark?

justchris

360 got a great unit increase than Wii did this week :lol

Of course, looking at the release list (thanks Kurosaki), 360 has nothing major coming until 11/22 (except DW6, which is getting a PS3 release the same day, so I'm not expecting that to help things), so this is a sadly temporary occurrence. Although, it may get another chance come 12/6 (Uncharted for PS3 vs VP:party Animals, Lost Odyssey, VF5Live & Momotaru Dentetsu on 360).

As for Wii, with only a 10k increase in unit sales over the previous week, that means at least 210k of Galaxy purchasers were previous Wii owners. Since we're going with the general assumption that hardcore gamers are the first to purchase a game, that's a fair estimate of the hardcore userbase on the Wii (with the exception of whatever users just don't like platformers). That's ~5.5% of the userbase being hardcore (not counting those who purchased a Wii this week).

Also interesting, about 44% of new Wii purchasers this week also purchased Wii Sports (if we assume anyone who already had a Wii had plenty of time to purchase Wii Sports, and didn't just spontaneously pick it up to day). I know someone (a while back) was keeping up with that average, but I don't have that information so don't know how this week compares to the previous average. Also, it seems likely the average would have been much lower these past few weeks, since Wii Sports has been out of the top ten for a while.

Also ~6.5% of purchasers or SMG also picked up Wii Sports this week. I have no idea what this means, I just like the numbers. It's interesting either way.

DiddyBop

next next gen will be interesting... handhelds will prolly have double the amount of R&D put into them. MS will also introduce a handheld to help them out in japan.

Rocksteady33

DiddyBop said:
next next gen will be interesting... handhelds will prolly have double the amount of R&D put into them. MS will also introduce a handheld to help them out in japan.

Didn't you get the memo? Dyack already confirmed a unified console.

sp0rsk said:
I guess that's one way of looking at it, but iirc besides that Final Fantasy 7 spinoff for the psp, none of those #1s have really set the market on fire, as they rank modestly and then drop rather significantly. I'm not saying it's dead as in there's absolutly no people in the country who want to play hardcaore games. Hardly. But the reality of the situation is that that segment of the gaming populace is in a serious state of decline and has been for a while really. This SMG happening is just another example of it.

Satter

Banned
sp0rsk said:
Pretty hard to miss.

Doesn't SSBB come out this year for Japan? Or is that next year?

PC Gaijin

So this week concludes a full year of sales for PS3 in Japan? Because it's tracking well behind the Saturn at the end of its first year. Last time I tallied the numbers a few months back, the PS3 was about even.

PC Gaijin said:
So this week concludes a full year of sales for PS3 in Japan? Because it's tracking well behind the Saturn at the end of its first year. Last time I tallied the numbers a few months back, the PS3 was about even.
Don't you dare compare the PS3 to the Saturn.
The Saturn had great support in japan.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
TheRipDizz said:
Don't you dare compare the PS3 to the Saturn.
The Saturn had great support in japan.

What a coincidence, the PS3 also has great support.

You just don't notice because they are coming out in 2008 and beyond.

PC Gaijin said:
It's a full year... sort of. It is 52 weeks of data, but November 11, 2006 to November 4, 2007 is still a bit shy in exact dates. After next week's data it will be 1 calendar year + 1 day worth of PS3 availability.

Mar

4. 360 - 17,673
5. PS3 - 17,434

Run for your lives! The apocalypse is upon us!

Seriously though. Ace Combat 6 is a system seller for Japan? I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Japanese are crazy. No one in the universe could predict the Japanese video game market right now. Mario bombed, AC selling systems.. Cats dogs, living together.

kay

Mar_ said:
Run for your lives! The apocalypse is upon us!

Seriously though. Ace Combat 6 is a system seller for Japan? I've said it before and I'll say it again. The Japanese are crazy. No one in the universe could predict the Japanese video game market right now. Mario bombed, AC selling systems.. Cats dogs, living together.
That game didn't move systems, it is the HDMI regular falcons AND price cut that did. I doubt the game made a bigger difference than those.

mutsu

250,000 first week is a bomb is a serious problem.

Sure it didn't do NSMB level sales, but this game will have legs.

Tristam

mutsu said:
250,000 first week is a bomb is a serious problem.

Sure it didn't do NSMB level sales, but this game will have legs.

It's not Little Boy or Fat Man (to continue ethelred's a-bomb comparison...) but it certainly is disappointing. Sure, it will have legs, but how long will they hold up I wonder.

Hopefully we'll be eating crow in hindsight, but again: it was a pretty poor showing.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Why does everyone keep saying that SMG will have legs. Stores ordered 700k copies and practically 2/3 of them are still on shelves. To me, it sounds like demand has been satisfied in a big way.

Innotech

Banned
I think Japan just doesnt want traditional games anymore. Even the latest FF sales have been weak. I think FF13 will be a sales disappointment too. They really seem to be loving the mobility and flexibility of handhelds. Luckily Nintendo also owns that market so it has nowhere to go but up.

VultureDude said:
you've got to wonder how poorly Brawl will preform with Galaxy's numbers now...
Well, if it's as down as SMG's first week was from SMS's, it might barely hit 1.2 million.
Agent Icebreezy said:
Why does everyone keep saying that SMG will have legs. Stores ordered 700k copies and practically 2/3 of them are still on shelves. To me, it sounds like demand has been satisfied in a big way.
Legs aren't just the result of shortages. Mario Kart DS isn't still sitting in the charts now because of people who had trouble finding it in stock in 2005, and Mario Party 8 isn't there because of people who couldn't find it in over the last four months. Not that it's a sure thing SMG will behave like either of them.

Tristam

Agent Icebeezy said:

What? You think legs are just the consequence of unfulfilled demand?

Crazy!! xbox 360 beat ps3?? niceee for Microsoft!

Nintendo's wii got a boost.. but wow.. nothing serious at all. By the look of this only around 15k new wii owners in week 1 from mario.

This game is getting critically acclaimed and mario is one of the biggest characters of all time?

Do you think nintendo is Diluting the mario name too much with all the mario sports + mario party each year that people perhaps question if the title is truely AAA anymore.. or maybe the average consuming doesn't know if it's a real mario game.

And those saying Brawl won't sell good because galaxy didn't? you're crazy.. Smash brothers is the most popular fighting game right now.. and it will sell to sonic fans and solid snake fans.. And possibly more fans once we find out who all the characters are.

It's great nintendo is releasing all their big titles within the first year and a half of wii's lifespan. Alot of titles such as zelda and mario people will still be buying in years 3-4 of the console along with whichever new IP's sell them on the system.

Agent Icebeezy

JoshuaJSlone said:
Well, if it's as down as SMG's first week was from SMS's, it might barely hit 1.2 million.

Legs aren't just the result of shortages. Mario Kart DS isn't still sitting in the charts now because of people who had trouble finding it in stock in 2005, and Mario Party 8 isn't there because of people who couldn't find it in over the last four months. Not that it's a sure thing SMG will behave like either of them.

A Marion platformer will never be a bad game. I didn't particularly care for Sunshine due to the premise, but the secret levels were the greatest thing ever. Now, in the states, when a retailer normally applies for a product, they generally want 60-80% sold upon release for storage space and the next week be able to accommodate consumers that didn't get it on release date. I know that it's going to sell in the future, but how much? If this were on the DS, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Japan, as a whole, is moving away from console gaming. It is what it is.

Agent Icebeezy

Tristam said:
What? You think legs are just the consequence of unfulfilled demand?

You don't order a large number of games to have them sit. They misjudged consumer demand. They saw Mario and they thought they would get the sales. It's a new day in Japan.

Tristam

Agent Icebeezy said:
You don't order a large number of games to have them sit. They misjudged consumer demand. They saw Mario and they thought they would get the sales. It's a new day in Japan.

Yeah I think I already mentioned (twice, maybe thrice) that the sales were disappointing, but that doesn't disqualify potential legs. Not everybody buys a game on its opening day.

I'm hopeful, but I'm certainly not reaching. It's not like there isn't precedent.

And while console gaming obviously isn't dead in Japan, it looks like it may be dying, which is pretty unfortunate all the same. I've never been much of a handheld gamer.

Top Bottom