• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

castle007

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
1. NDS - 78,597
2. PSP - 59,714
3. WII - 37,617
4. 360 - 17,673
5. PS3 - 17,434

6. PS2 - 10,209
7. GBA - 319
8. NGC - 155

:lol :lol :lol

it finally happened

Also, the DS should pass 20 million in two weeks

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Green Shinobi said:
So at this rate, how long would it take for the 360 to pass the PS3's LTD in Japan?

Let me do some JoshuaJSlone type of number crunching...

Carry the two..

Divide by eight..

Never?

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
I cannot believe the 360 hardware results I'm seeing. All of this for Ace Combat 6, of all games?

Not to undermine its potential in Japan, but it's a super westernized (by its sixth iteration at least) flight-combat game. How much appeal could it have to the otaku?

Not a single PSP game in the top ten and one doesn't appear until 17th place and it still sells over 50,000+ a week in Japan?

Jezus, it's total handheld country over there even if they don't buy games. And X360 over PS3...holy crap.

mclem

The Innocent X said:
But never have they held the power over the industry they do now.

I hate to break the news to you, but Pac-Man and Space Invaders hold a lot of similar qualities to that which you're deriding - an simple concept which can be picked up rapidly but proves a challenge under the constraints the game sets on you over time.

In a sense, minigames are the most traditional games currently available.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Segata Sanshiro said:
Wow, it just squeaked it out, but it did it. Now I want to see the other streams cross.

I think you're going to get your wish. Maybe not next week since the white PS3 launches on a Sunday..but the week after.....

reilo

dirtmonkey37 said:
I cannot believe the 360 hardware results I'm seeing. All of this for Ace Combat 6, of all games?

It's really a combo of AC6, Idolm@ster, and EDF3 all coming out in the same week.

jett

D-Member
SMG was pretty much meaningless to non-wii owners. So yeah, traditional gaming is pretty much dead in animuland.

Tideas

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:
Not a single PSP game in the top ten and one doesn't appear until 17th place and it still sells over 50,000+ a week in Japan?

Jezus, it's total handheld country over there even if they don't buy games. And X360 over PS3...holy crap.

they download custom firmware and download PSP games on torrents or websites.

laserbeam

Banned
HomerSimpson-Man said:

Its the same way in America. People use it more for its multimedia and emulator ability functions. Kinda ironic more people have fun playing SNES games on it then buying PSP games

Fio

I remember when Iwata said that he warned Reggie about Brain Age sales on US. I would like to see his face now with this Mario Galaxy fiasco in Japan.

doicare

schuelma said:
Am I alone in thinking 360> means absolutely nothing?

No you're not, but let the fanboys have their spaz moment until next week when the new ps3 model and games come out and the ps3 shoots up in sales, and only then will sales be irrelevant again.

Dante

Awesome to see the 360 have a good japan week, well good by xbox japan standards :)

Looks like MG didn't give wii a huge boost like some were predicting.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
GhostSeed said:
Does this mean the 360 will break 500,00 Ltd by the end of the year?
Christ, that's still such a low number. :lol

Didn't the original xbox sell through that much throughout its entire life-cycle?

Frillen

doicare said:
No you're not, but let the fanboys have their spaz moment until next week when the new ps3 model and games come out the ps3 shoots up in sales and only then will sales be irrelevant again.

Like sales are irrelevant to you this week?

Ezduo

Banned
Cheesemeister said:
360 - 17,673
PS3 - 17,434
1179970342256.gif

tanod

when is my burrito
schuelma said:
Am I alone in thinking 360> means absolutely nothing?

No, but it's still entertaining to think that the 1 week they pull it off, it's only by about 250 units. With GT5 in December, and the white PS3, Sengoku Musuo and R&C coming on the 11th, I don't think it'll ever happen again.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
dirtmonkey37 said:

Not to undermine its potential in Japan, but it's a super westernized (by its sixth iteration at least) flight-combat game. How much appeal could it have to the otaku?
Wait, I thought 360 had a price-drop the very same week?

reilo

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I didn't think the Media Create thread could get more retarded than it already was.

I was wrong.

Dead wrong.

Your thesaurus and dictionary are sweating already, aren't they?

Do you have RIF.org open in a separate tab, too?

B E N K E

dirtmonkey37 said:

The combination of a reduction in price and bundled games (Forza 2/Piñata) + release of Ace Combat did it. I think the former was the biggest catalyst for sales.

Narag

Segata Sanshiro said:
You know, I didn't think the Media Create thread could get more retarded than it already was.

I was wrong.

Dead wrong.

Wait until the other streams then it'll all be tidesareturning.gif

reilo said:
Your thesaurus and dictionary are sweating already, aren't they?

Do you have RIF.org open in a separate tab, too?
I'm not getting involved in the slapfight between the Sony and Nintendo kids this week. You've both managed to annoy me. Feel free to tear each other apart.

Mrbob

So the 360 surpasses the PS3 for the week, but next week the PS3 will surpass the Wii due to the new white 40GB model.

Does this mean in a roundabout way the 360 surpasses the Wii in Japan now?!?!

MIND BLOWN.

reilo

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm not getting involved in the slapfight between the Sony and Nintendo kids this week. You've both managed to annoy me. Feel free to tear each other apart.

drakebailout.gif

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
If we don't stop the OH SNAP CANT WAIT FOR X FANBOYS TO MELT DOWN and retarded jokes I'm going to start droppin folks.

Keep shit civilized and use your heads.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
tanod said:
No, but it's still entertaining to think that the 1 week they pull it off, it's only by about 250 units. With GT5 in December, and the white PS3, Sengoku Musuo and R&C coming on the 11th, I don't think it'll ever happen again.

I agree it is entertaining, but to me the more interesting story is Wii hardware. If I had told this thread 3 months ago that Wii would sell 37K when Galaxy was released I would have been laughed at and banned.

Speevy

Banned
Since we're no longer getting monthly NPD updates, I think Microsoft shipped some potential Xbox 360 owners over to Japan.

Traditional gaming is near dead in Japan. So sad.
To think of the threads I've been run out of for suggesting such a thing, when the writting has been on the wall for the longest time. Blind fools. You know who you are.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
TheRipDizz said:
Traditional gaming is near dead in Japan. So sad.
To think of the threads I was ran out of for suggesting such a thing, when the writting has been on the wall for the longest time. Blind fools. You know who you are.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but you are so sosososososososososososo wrong.

(This post composed to the Ghostbusters soundtrack.)

Wii comparisons: At week 49, Wii is where GCN was at 190.3 weeks (May 3, 2005), where GBA was at 39.1 weeks (December 16, 2001), where DS was at 51.8 weeks (November 25, 2005), where PS2 was at 58.3 weeks (April 10, 2001), and where PSP was at 85.9 weeks (July 29, 2006).

PS3 comparisons, one full year edition: At 52 weeks, PS3 is where PS2 was at 5.9 weeks (April 8, 2000), where PSP was at 20.4 weeks (April 26, 2005), where GCN was at 27.4 weeks (March 19, 2002), and where Wii was at 7.4 weeks (January 17, 2007).

DS vs PSP: Weekly shares of 56.8 / 43.2, bringing total shares to 74.7 / 25.3. If DS stopped selling and PSP continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 220.5 weeks (January 26, 2012).

PS3 vs Wii: Weekly shares of 31.7 / 68.3, bringing total shares to 25.0 / 75.0. Actually 24.97 / 75.03, so probably next week PS3 will return from being tripled, unless Wii gets a phantom boost and 40 GB is a complete dud. If Wii stopped selling and PS3 continued at this week's rate, it would catch up in 143.4 weeks (August 4, 2010).

PS2 vs DS: At this week's rates, DS catches up to PS2 in 13.4 weeks (February 5, 2008) at ~20.9 million units apiece.

X360 vs PS3: PS3 leads by 798,600 in lifetime sales, but trails by 239 this week. If X360 can lead by that amount every week, it will catch up in 3,341.4 weeks (November 17, 2071).

At week 44, X360 has passed 180K. Last year it took until week 52. If X360 can average just over 1.4K/week for the rest of the year, it will be a new record year for an Xbox system.

Cheesemeister said:
In 3,341.4 weeks. That would be on November 17th, 2071.
Good man. Unfortunately, I think this may be put off by the November 11, 2071 PS3 price drop to 19800.

Top Bottom