• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

Lobster

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
What I personally find most interesting about the SMG numbers is that Nintendo is finding most of its success with its so-called "hardcore" titles outside of Japan. SMG may not sell like NSMB in Japan, but I expect it to sell very well in North America and Europe.

Japan's tastes have undoubtably changed. But Nintendo, as the seeming creator of this change, has positioned itself pretty well to meet the needs of consumers in all markets.

Nintendo have always had a nice share in the western market though..

All their consoles have sold best in NA and Europe when compared to Japan and their games sell exceptionally well in these regions aswell.

Tron 2.0

Lobster said:
Nintendo have always had a nice share in the western market though..

All their consoles have sold best in NA and Europe when compared to Japan and their games sell exceptionally well in these regions aswell.
You're probably right.

I just like to wax faux-philosophical, apparently.

Lobster

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
You're probably right.

I just like to wax faux-philosophical, apparently.

You're right aswell though..gaming in Japan has taken a weird turn. Nintendo needs to have 2 gaming divisions.

-The Japanese games
-The rest of the worlds games

Either that or Nintendo markets harder and harder and harder till they etch in to the Japanese heads that they should buy hardcore games.

tanod

when is my burrito
If the 360 and PS3 streams cross today, I'm looking forward to JJS's "At this week's rates, the 360 will pass the PS3 by..." :D

BTW, I'm going to predict 400k for Wii Fit in its first week.

Frillen

Lobster said:
Wii Fit first week numbers- 180k. Wii Sports and Wii Play weren't first week heavy hitter eithers.

Except the fact that when Wii Play and Wii Sports came out the userbase for the Wii was zero. When Wii-Fit releases the Wii will have an userbase of over 4 Mill.

CoolTrick

Banned
Yeah I'd say around 200,000 for Wii Fit within the first week (no clue how much it'd sell after the 2 days for the first MC though. Maybe 90k?).

Frillen

CoolTrick said:
Yeah I'd say around 200,000 for Wii Fit within the first week (no clue how much it'd sell after the 2 days for the first MC though. Maybe 90k?).

2 days? Is it coming out on a Saturday?

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
kottila said:
Sorry to tell you this, but WiiFit is the flagship title in Japan this year.
You shut your whore mouth, I will not listen to these foul LIES.

*Goes off to cry in the corner*

JoshuaJSlone said:
Why now and not in 2002 when Mario Party 4 beat Super Mario Sunshine?

Though actually, that situation could give you hope. SMS released in July. Mario Party 8 released in November, sold less the first week, but thanks to legs and holiday proximity ended up ahead in the end.

That would be good. If anyone else wants to search back through past MC threads or the Sinobi archives to get us a vat of first-day sales to consider, that would be a Good Thing, but I've got other stuff on my plate at the moment.

I think you typoed there somewhere, but hey, fair point, however, SMS was critically panned (Ok, it still scored highly) for being a bit....naff, SMG has suffered no such ills, also the MP series was relatively fresh when 4 hit, and was well received, MP8 was considered one of the worst, so I still expected a better first week for SMG compared to MP8, but hey, history contradicts me, still, my threat stands.

*runs*

Eteric Rice

Lobster said:
You're right aswell though..gaming in Japan has taken a weird turn. Nintendo needs to have 2 gaming divisions.

-The Japanese games

Either that or Nintendo markets harder and harder and harder till they etch in to the Japanese heads that they should buy hardcore games.

Also, we have to realize that the hardcore base on the Wii is likely very small at the moment. As more hardcore gamers buy a Wii, they're more likely to buy games like Galaxy as well.

Lightning

Banned
Nolan. said:
Wait you need to calm yourself. Does it hurt you that much seriously.? I pointed that out as a bit of a poke in collaboration with what the other guy posted, then you're going on about assholery and nit picking. If you can't handle someone making a joke out of something you've said then seriously shut up. Or better yet have a better idea about what you're talking about. I'm by no means claiming to know so much that I don't need to change my opinions (quite the contrary), though i'm open to people pointing stuff out from my posts I usually learn from it.
I am not saying I don't make some stupid posts, I think we all do now and then. :lol

And sorry for my hostile tone.

I don't see how Wii Fit could possibly sell more than 100k, if not 70k in its first week.

This title will be a slow climb, and hard sell for Nintendo in Japan and the rest of the world. If the final product is good, and Nintendo's marketing and PR department in full swing, Nintendo could expect Wii Sport type sales. But I wouldn't expect the Wii Fit picture to be clear until atleast 6 months of its release.

Well, if there's one thing we've learned about the unwashed masses, it's how notoriously resistant they are to faddish, "easy-answer" exercise devices.

Nolan.

Lightning said:
I am not saying I don't make some stupid posts, I think we all do now and then. :lol

And sorry for my hostile tone.

Thats ok I like you anyways...

but it's only because you have a FFXIII avatar...

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, if there's one thing we've learned about the unwashed masses, it's how notoriously resistant they are to faddish, "easy-answer" exercise devices.
Though just when the expiry date on that trend is up i'm not sure.

I'm somewhat surprised that everyone's first week expectations for Wii Fit seem to be all over the map. Perhaps I shouldn't be, however, given a few things to consider...

1. The target audience for Wii Fit does not include hardcore gamers. The people who are likely to buy into the game are not of the habit of lining up for new titles on day one. For them, it's more a case of whenever they get around to it or can afford it.

2. Most of the audience probably hasn't even heard of Wii Fit yet, relying on traditional advertising on television and in train stations to discover new titles. Or even slower yet, word-of-mouth.

3. Other casual games tend to have long legs as they work their way through the audience. Again, these folks are more or less ambivalent about buying video game software and are not highly motivated to do so. By the time a given consumer gets to the title, it may be months down the road.

All said, the initial impact of a game like Wii Fit might be muted compared to our blockbuster hits which make all their sales right off the bat. However, we should see some very long legs as time goes on.

Tron 2.0

Lobster said:

-The Japanese games

Exactly.

It's curious that Nintendo is back in a position of strength in Japan, something they haven't really seen since Super Famicom, but they are there for seemingly very different reasons.

Tron 2.0

Cheesemeister said:
I'm somewhat surprised that everyone's first week expectations for Wii Fit seem to be all over the map. Perhaps I shouldn't be, however, given a few things to consider...

1. The target audience for Wii Fit does not include hardcore gamers. The people who are likely to buy into the game are not of the habit of lining up for new titles on day one. For them, it's more a case of whenever they get around to it or can afford it.

2. Most of the audience probably hasn't even heard of Wii Fit yet, relying on traditional advertising on television and in train stations to discover new titles. Or even slower yet, word-of-mouth.

3. Other casual games tend to have long legs as they work their way through the audience. Again, these folks are more or less ambivalent about buying video game software and are not highly motivated to do so. By the time a given consumer gets to the title, it may be months down the road.

All said, the initial impact of a game like Wii Fit might be muted compared to our blockbuster hits which make all their sales right off the bat. However, we should see some very long legs as time goes on.
I wonder if, since in Japan the Wii base is seemingly made up of mainly casual gamers, we might not see the same sort of buying habits creep into the more blockbuster titles as well?

taconinja

Segata Sanshiro said:
Well, I need to adjust down for it being a two-day rather than a four-day, so I'm amending my prediction to 170k.
Really? With the way casual software sells and only a two-day period, I would guess 100K max.

But there's a reason I usually just read this instead of posting guesses. :D

taconinja said:
Really? With the way casual software sells and only a two-day period, I would guess 100K max.

But there's a reason I usually just read this instead of posting guesses. :D
I'm predicting some of the small hardcore base are going to buy it too. But mostly, I think Mario Galaxy is showing us that an overwhelmingly large part of the Wii owners are Wii Sports/Wii Play fans looking for stuff along that line. And if that's the type of experience they're interested in, they must be positively famished for the next title of that sort, being that the last one was Mario Party 8.

Segata Sanshiro said:
I'm predicting some of the small hardcore base are going to buy it too. But mostly, I think Mario Galaxy is showing us that an overwhelmingly large part of the Wii owners are Wii Sports/Wii Play fans looking for stuff along that line. And if that's the type of experience they're interested in, they must be positively famished for the next title of that sort, being that the last one was Mario Party 8.

SMG sales also might show a bit of 3d mario fatigue. A 2d mario on Wii would sell like gangbusters.

botticus

RiskyChris said:
SMG sales also might show a bit of 3d mario fatigue. A 2d mario on Wii would sell like gangbusters.
I think the word you're looking for there is apathy? I don't know how they could be tired of 3D Mario given that there hasn't been one for 5 years. Unless you're including spin-offs and all that jazz in there.

I can't see Wii fit being anything beyond a niche experiment. the combination of a relatively high price and single player ( or would that be user ) focus make it the effective opposite of Wii sports. Exergame with an added mini game collection versus family/party game. Nintendo should have pushed forward the other Wii(game) titles like Wii motorsports instead of bringing Wii fit forward from 2008.

I guess no one cares about the following but oh well...

I updated the release list (added a few other games, some changed dates too) and added what they sold in their first week according to Famitsu (rounded though). I suppose I'll keep updating it in the following weeks...

11/01
NDS San Goku Shi DS 2 - 6,600
PS2 Super Robot Taisen Scramble Commander the 2nd - 10,000
PS2 G1 Jockey 4 2007 - 5,900
PS3 G1 Jockey 4 2007 - 4,500
WII Opoona - 3,000
WII Super Mario Galaxy - 256,000
360 Ace Combat 6: Kaihou e no Senka - 67,000

11/08
NDS Katei no Igaku: DS de Kitaeru Shokuzai Kenkou Training
NDS Mario Party DS
NDS Yosumin DS
PSP Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle
(11/11) PS3 Shin Sangoku Musou 5
(11/11) PS3 Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction
(11/11) 360 Shin Sangoku Musou 5

The rest of the list (until 12/27 week):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8379282&postcount=454

Stop It said:
...first you let Zack & Wiki (Treasure Island Z or whatever its called there) Bomb, and now this? you're on notice Japan.
SMG will probably do better in the US, but Z&W will bomb just as hard. I think it'll do best in Europe come January.

Lightning said:
I also hardly ever enter into threads if it's not a PS3/PSP game. Nothing wrong with that, I am a PS3/PSP fan... I hardly ever post negative against the Wii despite the Wii fans lovely desire to put the PS3 down every chance.
Wait, weren't you in that Dead Rising and GoW go platinum thread? :lol

Magicpaint said:
I love how everyone is being conservative about Wiifit now SMG has pulled in less than desirable numbers. :lol
As I said, there are certain things to consider with WiiFit, I don't think it'll have a huge opening week. These casual games usually don't start out with a bang. BA2 being the exception with a 400k opening week but that was after the first had become a smash hit and a cultural phenomenon (BA: 44k opening week :lol ).

So the expectations have nothing to do with SMG and are already more on the higher end. But that may have to do with Nintendo having big expectations for the title and thus probably have a big campaign to roll out.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
When does Link's Crossbow Training come out? With its cheap price I could see it being bigger than Wii Fit this year.
Are you talking worldwide? Because WiiFit is only launching in Japan this year. If so, it may sell more since LCT is released in all major territories this year. If you are referring to Japan only. No way.

Eteric Rice

botticus said:
I think the word you're looking for there is apathy? I don't know how they could be tired of 3D Mario given that there hasn't been one for 5 years. Unless you're including spin-offs and all that jazz in there.

Perhaps Sunshine caused distrust (is that the word I'm looking for?) towards Nintendo due to Sunshine being pretty bad.

Lightning

Banned
Phife Dawg said:
Wait, weren't you in that Dead Rising and GoW go platinum thread? :lol
I said "hardly ever" not never. :lol

I do make the odd exception, like I did in the Gears of War/Dead Rising thread. I also go into Lost Odyssey threads but mostly because LO will rock and I want as much info on the game as possible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I guess no one cares about the following but oh well...

I updated the release list (added a few other games, some changed dates too) and added what they sold in their first week according to Famitsu (rounded though). I suppose I'll keep updating it in the following weeks...

No, this is very appreciated. Please continue to do it. :D

Tron 2.0

Eteric Rice said:
Perhaps Sunshine caused distrust (is that the word I'm looking for?) towards Nintendo due to Sunshine being pretty bad.
Sunshine wasn't bad. It just wasn't a Mario game.

I floated this theory already a page back or so based on Phife Dawg's (I think?) discussion of possible WiiFit sale patterns due to the more casual market, but perhaps since the Wii has a more casual audience in Japan games that we consider "blockbuster" titles are going to start out slower but have longer life spans. More so than when compared to last generation.

As previously pointed out, casual gamers are not really the wait-in-line-overnight-for-a-new-game type. Especially since SMG hasn't been pushed that hard in Japan.

I think this is a more likely scenario than the Japanese feeling burned.

Jokeropia

Lobster said:
All their consoles have sold best in NA and Europe when compared to Japan
NA sure (though NES and SNES did really well in Japan too), but not so much Europe. I believe SNES is the most successful Nintendo console in Europe with 8.58 million shipped. (NES shipped 8.56 million.) Wii will almost definitely become the most successful Nintendo console in Europe ever.

Green Shinobi said:
Sunshine was the highest reviewed platformer last gen, but no one remembers that.

Yeah I'm not getting the hate retcon. I can understand hating the Blue Coins, but the game was still great. Specially the secret levels.

Top Bottom