• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
ksamedi said:
I disagree, Nintendo is at its best when it tries to innovate. Look at Zelda PH, great game.

and that was for DS.

and the follow up to an actually relevant title, Zelda: Twilight Princess is Link's Crossbow Training.

Jcgamer60

251k... Disappointing. Mario better have legs or Nintendo won't be happy with this.

Interesting week so far, with ace combat 6 for 360 up there.

Lightning said:
Can dish the shit to other systems but can't take it on your own? Nice.

The PS3 has nothing this week, next week and won't have anything until the 11th.

Mario Galaxy is going to do Sunshine numbers, end of story. Mario fans am cry!

I'm just going to cherry pick one of your posts from this thread.

Your bias is sickening. In the NPD bomba thread, you said you are glad it's gone and now we can talk more about games, but here you are ignoring anything but sales numbers.

Hmm?

Mario fans I'm sure will be just fine when they pop in Mario Galaxy.

ksamedi

davepoobond said:
and that was for DS.

and the follow up to an actually relevant title, Zelda: Twilight Princess is Link's Crossbow Training.

Thats not a follow up, its a theme. You can call it a follow up to Wiiplays shooting range.

To put things in perspective, here are some first-week numbers for Wii titles thus far. Galaxy far outperformed Super Paper Mario, for one...

Media Create said:
1. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 305,254
1. Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 264,953
1. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 251,000
2. Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 176,167
3. Wii Play (Nintendo) - 174,297
1. Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) - 144,192
4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 139,011
3. Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn (Nintendo) - 75,359
10. Pokemon Battle Revolution (Pokemon) - 67,607
9. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Nintendo) - 63,954
7. Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX (Takara-Tomy) - 45,792
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo) - 42,259
7. One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Bandai-Namco) - 40,003
9. Donkey Kong Jet (Nintendo) - 30,137
6. Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo) - 27,946
32. Red Steel (Ubisoft) - 9,392
33. SD Gundam (Bandai Namco) - 9,226
37. Tamagotchi Party (Bandai Namco) - 8,042
47. Elebits (Konami) - 5,791

13. Excite Truck (Nintendo) - N/A
15. Endless Ocean (Nintendo) - N/A
30. Eyeshield 21: The Gridiron's Strongest (Nintendo) - N/A

What are your predictions for Wii Fit first week numbers?

Cheesemeister said:
To put things in perspective, here are some first-week numbers for Wii titles thus far. Galaxy far outperformed Super Paper Mario, for one...

Whatever the Wii userbase is times 2.

Tristam

Cheesemeister said:

Cheese: It's been asked, but I didn't see any answers: are those full first-week (i.e., 7 days) sales for the other games?

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I don't think we have any initial shipment numbers..I'll say 400K.

Tristam said:
Cheese: It's been asked, but I didn't see any answers: are those full first-week (i.e., 7 days) sales for the other games?

Games in Japan are released on Thursdays, and Media Create counts until Sundays. So, four days.

It should be noted, however, that Wii Fit will be released on Saturday, December 1st. MC will count two days for its first week.

Frillen

Cheesemeister said:

It's disappointing enough that it couldn't out sell Sunshine's first week, but not even Mario Party's? That's hugely disappointing. Here hoping for amazing legs.

I predict between 400k and 500k for Wii-Fit's first week.

Belgorim

Cheesemeister said:
Wii fit will depend on supply :)

Watched some videos today, man... its gonna be huge... it might not be the best new thing for hardcore gamers though, but for nintendo.... man...

Krowley

Cheesemeister said:

Thanks for that...

So I guess mario is the second best selling traditional wii game in it's first week. That's a little better than I thought. Hopefully it will have excellent legs.

Wii Fit's going to be huge worldwide, but I caution everyone to temper their predictions somewhat; big chunky peripherals and Japan are rarely happy bedfellows.

Nolan.

RiskyChris said:

Your bias is sickening. In the NPD bomba thread, you said you are glad it's gone and now we can talk more about games, but here you are ignoring anything but sales numbers.

Hmm?

He also said he doesn't/won't buy 360 ports and then later said he'll pick up Eternal sonata and how excited he is for it... yea to be expected.

Tristam

Cheesemeister said:
Games in Japan are released on Thursdays, and Media Create counts until Sundays. So, four days.

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. Pretty disappointing for Mario Galaxy then. As I said earlier, here's to hoping for legs.

As for Wii Fit, I'm guessing around 350k.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Like I said in the last sales thread, if MS is smart, then they would be throwing money at Namco to get exclusivity dibs on future Ace Combat games, and probably a little on the side to get a 360 version of that upcoming Namco game with the number 6 in the title... ahem... :D

Segata Sanshiro said:
Wii Fit's going to be huge worldwide, but I caution everyone to temper their predictions somewhat; big chunky peripherals and Japan are rarely happy bedfellows.
Weights as much as a 40GB PS3! I don't know if Wii Fit will be more dependent on supply or retailers space to stock it...

Btw, Musou 5 (and Ratchet) launches on Sunday so don't expect first day numbers for it.

Well, expect them next week when Famitsu and MC numbers for the week arrive, since they will only count 1 day of sales for them.

Frillen said:
It's disappointing enough that it couldn't out sell Sunshine's first week, but not even Mario Party's? That's hugely disappointing. Here hoping for amazing legs.

For people hoping for legs on SMG, keep in mind that it had a better day one than Mario Party 8, but a worse week one. (Also, this is a place where JJS' hypothetical magical numbers hut would be great to check some things -- like how well the day1:week1 ratio correlates to legs in general.)

Re: Wii Fit, I guess 326k so I can beat Segata in the closest-without-going-over.

taconinja

Sorry if I've missed this but to clarify, we will not be getting first day numbers for WiiFit since it's so close to the regular MC numbers? Or do we not know for sure?

Pristine_Condition said:
It's all rumors and speculation at this point, but the Ace Combat fanboys seem to think that AC6 is exclusive to 360, with AC7 to follow on the PS3, similar to how Namco worked Ridge Racer.
OK, thx for the info or speculation. It's really strange that they would cripple the potential userbase when the series has been on a downward slope. But nothing seems impossible nowadays with business decisions.

davepoobond said:
ok, it might be #1 for a couple weeks but i doubt Mario Galaxy is gonna stay in the top 10 for very long. I give it a month tops before it drops out of the top 10.
This could very well be true but if it manages to sell to a good portion of new Wii users it could still manage to sell well. I think it'll top 1M LTD but it'll never reach WiiSport numbers.

Cheesemeister said:

It did better than WiiSports - 3M seller confirmed!

Predicting WiiFit first week sales is kind of hard. For one it's a casual game so not a huge mass of people will buy it the first week (at least if it follows the usual trend). The interest of the genral public could be huge though because Nintendo will likely push this thing hard. Then again it involves a big peripheral and a juicy price-tag.

Hmmm I just go out on a limb and say 300k.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Hang on a minute, Nintendo releases their flagship 2007 title, which has been lauded as the best 3D Mario game, and it is outsold on it's first week by Mario Party 8.....

Mario fucking Party 8 Japan, what the fucking fuck were you collectively thinking? If SMG doesn't have uber legs over there and ends up easily outselling MP8 by the end of the year, I will personally go to Japan to end your pathetic existences, first you let Zack & Wiki (Treasure Island Z or whatever its called there) Bomb, and now this? you're on notice Japan.

*storms off in a huff*

Nolan.

Cheesemeister said:

I'll guess 130k I know that sounds low but it's because i' still to be convinced Japan will go crazy over it.

Lucky

I'll say 252K for Wii Fit. Just to spite SMG (even though I can't wait to pick it up here).

Is anyone taking predictions for next weeks SMG numbers? Anyone? I'll start: 150K.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
mepaco said:
Yes, same as always using caps, always putting smileys at the end of a post even when you weren't even trying to be funny, separating each sentence by multiple blank lines, etc. It is useless and distracting.
Indifferent2.gif

Nolan.

Lucky said:
I'll say 252K for Wii Fit. Just to spite SMG (even though I can't wait to pick it up here).

Is anyone taking predictions for next weeks SMG numbers? Anyone? I'll start: 150K.

I hope it does better than that but i'll say 65k to be safe.

kottila

Stop It said:
Hang on a minute, Nintendo releases their flagship 2007 title, which has been lauded as the best 3D Mario game, and it is outsold on it's first week by Mario Party 8.....

Mario fucking Party 8 Japan, what the fucking fuck were you collectively thinking? If SMG doesn't have uber legs over there and ends up easily outselling MP8 by the end of the year, I will personally go to Japan to end your pathetic existences, first you let Zack & Wiki (Treasure Island Z or whatever its called there) Bomb, and now this? you're on notice Japan.

*storms off in a huff*

Sorry to tell you this, but WiiFit is the flagship title in Japan this year.

taconinja said:
Sorry if I've missed this but to clarify, we will not be getting first day numbers for WiiFit since it's so close to the regular MC numbers? Or do we not know for sure?
We know, we won't get first day sales for it. It is released on a Saturday (12/1) rather than a Thrusday, so that week we will get first day for other titles like Layton 2. In the end, we will see Wii Fit in the weekly chart but only 2 days of sales will be on it (still 1 more than Musou 5 though).

Cheesemeister said:

I think the most important number from that list is Twilight Princess. It started at about 140k and ended up at about 500-550k. If SMG's legs are the same as TP's, and I don't see any reason why theywouldn't be LONGER, then SMG's is looking to break at least a million.

Great Rumbler said:
I think the most important number from that list is Twilight Princess. It started at about 140k and ended up at about 500-550k. If SMG's legs are the same as TP's, and I don't see any reason why theywouldn't be LONGER, then SMG's is looking to break at least a million.

Still, if it were a DS game it'd have sold four times what it did, minimum.

Lightning

Banned
RiskyChris said:

Hmm?

How many NPD threads have you seen me post in or defend? Not many. I happen to care about PS3 Japan and EU sale figures a lot more though, hence I post in those threads.

I also hardly ever enter into threads if it's not a PS3/PSP game. Nothing wrong with that, I am a PS3/PSP fan... I hardly ever post negative against the Wii despite the Wii fans lovely desire to put the PS3 down every chance.

Nolan. said:
He also said he doesn't/won't buy 360 ports and then later said he'll pick up Eternal sonata and how excited he is for it... yea to be expected.
People aren't allowed to change their view? I am also picking up other 360 ports.... given the state of the PS3 I don't have much option other then to only play Sony games......

And you can nitpik and find contadictions for practically every user if you want to be that much of an asshole.

Satter

Banned
Cheesemeister said:

I'd say $600K.

Has the advertisement started in Japan for WiiFit? There are two older women at one of my client's office that know about it already. And they are the furthest from knowing anything about gaming news than anyone.

A Black Falcon said:
Still, if it were a DS game it'd have sold four times what it did, minimum.

How many systems can you count where the games have sold as well as DS games have in the past two years? And you're wrong anyway, because most of the huge DS games started out really slow, about 200-400k or less on their first week. They just have insanely long legs.

Stop It said:
Mario fucking Party 8 Japan, what the fucking fuck were you collectively thinking? If SMG doesn't have uber legs over there and ends up easily outselling MP8 by the end of the year, I will personally go to Japan to end your pathetic existences
Why now and not in 2002 when Mario Party 4 beat Super Mario Sunshine?

Though actually, that situation could give you hope. SMS released in July. Mario Party 8 released in November, sold less the first week, but thanks to legs and holiday proximity ended up ahead in the end.
charlequin said:
(Also, this is a place where JJS' hypothetical magical numbers hut would be great to check some things -- like how well the day1:week1 ratio correlates to legs in general.)
That would be good. If anyone else wants to search back through past MC threads or the Sinobi archives to get us a vat of first-day sales to consider, that would be a Good Thing, but I've got other stuff on my plate at the moment.

Great Rumbler said:
How many systems can you count where the games have sold as well as DS games have in the past two years? And you're wrong anyway, because most of the huge DS games started out really slow, about 200-400k or less on their first week. They just have insanely long legs.

I was thinking of NSMB and its 899,000 first week... but yes, nothing sells like DS games these days in Japan, that much is certainly true. SMG sold worse its first week by percentage of console owners that bought the game than NSMB did in its first week, as I think a post in this thread showed.

A Black Falcon said:
I was thinking of NSMB and its 899,000 first week... but yes, nothing sells like DS games these days in Japan, that much is certainly true.

If anything, NSMB and Pokemon are the exceptions. Even so, NSMB is STILL selling, so it's not like it had an enormous opening week and then fell off after that. The same thing could happen with SMG, but at this point nobody really knows.

Lobster

Banned
Cheesemeister said:

1. Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors (Square-Enix) - 305,254
1. Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 264,953
1. Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 251,000
2. Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 176,167
3. Wii Play (Nintendo) - 174,297
1. Super Paper Mario (Nintendo) - 144,192
4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Nintendo) - 139,011
3. Fire Emblem: Goddess of the Dawn (Nintendo) - 75,359
10. Pokemon Battle Revolution (Pokemon) - 67,607
9. Wario Ware: Smooth Moves (Nintendo) - 63,954
7. Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX (Takara-Tomy) - 45,792
5. Big Brain Academy: Wii Degree (Nintendo) - 42,259
7. One Piece: Unlimited Adventure (Bandai-Namco) - 40,003
9. Donkey Kong Jet (Nintendo) - 30,137
6. Mario Strikers Charged (Nintendo) - 27,946
32. Red Steel (Ubisoft) - 9,392
33. SD Gundam (Bandai Namco) - 9,226
37. Tamagotchi Party (Bandai Namco) - 8,042
47. Elebits (Konami) - 5,791

13. Excite Truck (Nintendo) - N/A
15. Endless Ocean (Nintendo) - N/A
30. Eyeshield 21: The Gridiron's Strongest (Nintendo) - N/A

Wii Fit first week numbers- 180k. Wii Sports and Wii Play weren't first week heavy hitter eithers.

Hmm going by your chart there. Games that start off around 140-150k usually end up near the 500K mark.

Super Mario Galaxy will have heaps long legs. People are forgetting that the holidays are coming up and Super Mario Galaxy will sell more in the holidays then it did in its first month.

Nolan.

Lightning said:
How many NPD threads have you seen me post in or defend? Not many. I happen to care about PS3 Japan and EU sale figures a lot more though, hence I post in those threads.

I also hardly ever enter into threads if it's not a PS3/PSP game. Nothing wrong with that, I am a PS3/PSP fan... I hardly ever post negative against the Wii despite the Wii fans lovely desire to put the PS3 down every chance.

People aren't allowed to change their view? I am also picking up other 360 ports.... given the state of the PS3 I don't have much option other then to only play Sony games......

And you can nitpik and find contadictions for practically every user if you want to be that much of an asshole.

Wait you need to calm yourself. Does it hurt you that much seriously.? I pointed that out as a bit of a poke in collaboration with what the other guy posted, then you're going on about assholery and nit picking. If you can't handle someone making a joke out of something you've said then seriously shut up. Or better yet have a better idea about what you're talking about. I'm by no means claiming to know so much that I don't need to change my opinions (quite the contrary), though i'm open to people pointing stuff out from my posts I usually learn from it.

Tron 2.0

What I personally find most interesting about the SMG numbers is that Nintendo is finding most of its success with its so-called "hardcore" titles outside of Japan. SMG may not sell like NSMB in Japan, but I expect it to sell very well in North America and Europe.

Japan's tastes have undoubtably changed. But Nintendo, as the seeming creator of this change, has positioned itself pretty well to meet the needs of consumers in all markets.

Top Bottom