• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

Innotech

Banned
Another thing to consider is that the Wii fanbase doesnt all buy a game at once. They arent hardcore day one buyers. Certain big games, like on DS, are likely to have legs for a long long time. MArio Galaxy seems like one of those games potentially. It wont set sales records on fire, but will be a slow burning game on the charts, and probably even off of it. Of course, I am probably wrong, but this is a possibility.

tanod

when is my burrito
Where's the press release MS Japan?

Outsold the PS3, increased sales by 500% and passed the XBOX LTD.

It's your birthday! Party it up and don't forget to bring a towel
because it's a pool party.

mutsu

Innotech said:
Another thing to consider is that the Wii fanbase doesnt all buy a game at once. They arent hardcore day one buyers. Certain big games, like on DS, are likely to have legs for a long long time. MArio Galaxy seems like one of those games potentially. It wont set sales records on fire, but will be a slow burning game on the charts, and probably even off of it. Of course, I am probably wrong, but this is a possibility.

Looking at the sales of Wii Play and Wii Sports, you are probably not too far off. Mario Galaxy might just be the next must have game on the system.

Krowley

Agent Icebeezy said:
You don't order a large number of games to have them sit. They misjudged consumer demand. They saw Mario and they thought they would get the sales. It's a new day in Japan.

I'm assuming the legs would be a concequence of the holidays and word of mouth. When a game has legs, it's because demand builds and spreads.

Basicaly, it should begin to sell itself now that people have the game.

Agent Icebeezy said:
You don't order a large number of games to have them sit. They misjudged consumer demand. They saw Mario and they thought they would get the sales. It's a new day in Japan.
Whether stores overstocked the game is irrelevant to whether or not the game will have legs, though. One is excess early demand. The other (theoretically) is a long-lasting period where demand is non-negligible.
citrus lump said:
I don't think the Wii will ever catch the PSP in Japan.

weird.
If they can trade places on the chart so easily once, it can happen again. PSP can no more sell that well indefinitely based on Slim and Crisis Core any more than Wii could from Wii Sports.

Agent Icebeezy said:
They saw Mario and they thought they would get the sales.
So did we. In fact, some of us were laughing at 700k of retailer preorders. Even though I'm not a huge Mario fan, I woke up early on the release day to make sure I could secure a copy, I was expecting it to be sold out by lunchtime.

This is why I'm not an analyst.

Is it possible that a large sector of japans "hardcore" gamers are cheapskates are are simply waiting for the PS3 or 360 to fall into a price range they consider acceptable? Whats the cost for these systems in Japan right now?

Also Ps3 1 year = PS2 6 weeks show how crazy the PS2 success was. Dreamcast didnt stand a chance.

donny2112

Just catching up in the thread. I expect Wii Fit to sell over 400K its first week (2 days). 500K is not out of the question. This is assuming that Nintendo can make and ship that many, though. There will be lines for its Saturday release. :D

phez

Banned
4. 360 - 17,673
5. PS3 - 17,434

OMFG-Cat_laptop.jpg

justchris

donny2112 said:
Just catching up in the thread. I expect Wii Fit to sell over 400K its first week (2 days). 500K is not out of the question. This is assuming that Nintendo can make and ship that many, though. There will be lines for its Saturday release. :D

I don't know what to think on that. On the one had, Wii Fit is casual honey. It has an excellent chance to attract the casual market heavily, which appears to be the strongest market for the Wii in Japan. On the other hand, the casual market doesn't usually purchase games on day one. Back on that first hand, the game will be released on a Saturday, meaning casuals will be picking it up to play for the weekend. And it seems Nintendo has already started marketing Wii Fit, which means plenty of people will know about it. Then again, back to the second hand, it is an expensive package with an extra accessory.

I'm gonna have to go with a moderate 225k first week sales for my prediction, but it should have brain age style legs.

ccbfan

mutsu said:
Looking at the sales of Wii Play and Wii Sports, you are probably not too far off. Mario Galaxy might just be the next must have game on the system.

Ah no

Wii play and Wii sports had long legs not because the casual owners waited to buy the games. Its because the casuals didn't have the system yet.

Wii play and Wii sports was a great predictor of Wii hardware sales during the first 6 months when the Wii was sold out all the time. Thats mean most of the Wii play and Wii sports sales are from new Wii owners not owners who took their time to buy the games.

reilo said:
AC6, Idolm@ster, EDF, lower price-point plus Forza 2/Viva Pinata bundle, plus X360 Elite.

You're right that the success is due to heterogenous causes, but a couple facts are wrong. This isn't the first week the Elite was available, just more were shipped. And Idolmaster and EDF 3 didn't come out this week either. They're just the games those extra 12,000 folks picked up to go with their new 360, bringing them back into the charts.

The bundle and the price drop are the main reasons for this bump, though AC6 surely helped.

donny2112

Liabe Brave said:
And Idolmaster and EDF 3 didn't come out this week either. They're just the games those extra 12,000 folks picked up to go with their new 360, bringing them back into the charts.

No, they're budget re-releases.

11.01.07 X360 Blue Dragon (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.07.06 Microsoft 2800
11.01.07 X360 Chikyuu Boueigun (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 01.26.06 D3 Publisher 2800
11.01.07 X360 Dead or Alive 4 (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.29.05 Tecmo 2800
11.01.07 X360 Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 11.22.06 Tecmo 2800
11.01.07 X360 Gears of War (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 01.18.07 Microsoft 2800
11.01.07 X360 Lost Planet Extreme Condition (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.21.06 Capcom 3800
11.01.07 X360 Onechanbara vorteX Kiketsu wo Tsugu Monotachi (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.14.06 D3 Publisher 2800
11.01.07 X360 Project Silpheed (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 09.21.100 Square Enix 2800
11.02.07 X360 Idol Master (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 01.25.07 Bandai Namco Games 2800

Magic Mile said:
So the Wii is tracking better than the PS2 was in Japan and console gaming is dead in Japan. That makes no sense at all.

"What have you done for me lately?"

x3sphere

Still don't get the PSP. It's selling like crazy but only 3 games managed to get into the top 30 in the software sales charts o_O

I guess people aren't buying it for the games...

Deku said:
This thread is full of win.
Not sure I get what you mean. Pyrrhic victories are victories that result in bad aftereffects for the victor. X360 didn't have to do anything particularly more damning than usual this week. If the slight victory had come due to an X360 price cut to 300 yen or something, that would be a victory at a heavy cost.

But maybe I'm misinterpreting you totally and you don't even mean the X360/PS3 thing?

donny2112

x3sphere said:
Still don't get the PSP. It's selling like crazy but only 3 games managed to get into the top 30 in the software sales charts o_O

Which is why I seriously wonder about people who consider "handheld gaming" the best option for development in Japan. Only one of the handhelds consistently sells "games." It may not be the kind of games you like, though. ;)

x3sphere said:

It has been sliding back down to normal in terms of share of the Famitsu software pie each week.

4.5% (Week of 2007-08-27)
6.9 (Week of 2007-10-22)

Dammit I'm late to the party. I got held up at a guitar hero contest. got 4th out of 15 so not bad! WOW 360!!! Poor Poor Wii sales. Just a couple months ago Wii was having better sales when no new games at all were coming out.

ccbfan

The PSP hardware sales is unfreakin real. Its balancing out at about 60k. It been about there for over a month now with no games boosting it. Pretty insane if you think about it. It shows how much Japan is portable country when the 2nd place portable is selling hardware like first place home consoles used to.

PSP software is underwhelming like usual but there's been drastic improvements since the slim release. FF7CC and that gundam game has had decent leg. Much longer than non-MHP PSP normally has. I mean its nowhere near DS software but its getting better. Plus no game have sold disappointingly since the slim release which is good since those same type of games (like the current gundam game) used to bomb like Zack and Wiki and Opoona just did.

Man the Wii hardware sales are sadder than SMG's software sales. I mean WTF only a 10k boost. You'd think the hardcore gamers would make a better showing than that. I mean even compared to boost like the 360's Blue dragon boost or Ps3's Gundam boost this is pathetic and when you look pathetic against the PS3 and 360 in Japan then you got some problems.

I really hope Brawl does something wonderful cause thats pretty much the last hope for getting the hardcore fanbase on the wii.

Azrael

The question is, why are NSMB and Phantom Hourglass so much more popular in Japan than Twilight Princess and Galaxy, when the Wii and DS have pretty similar demographics? Obviously, Mario and Zelda are still enormously popular to have sold the way they did on DS. I think what it comes down to is the casual gamers who play stuff like Nintendogs and Wii Sports are intimidated by a free-roaming 3D adventure game. To them, NSMB and Phantom Hourglass look simple and fun to play, while Galaxy and Twilight Princess look too complicated.

Azrael said:
The question is, why are NSMB and Phantom Hourglass so much more popular in Japan than Twilight Princess and Galaxy, when the Wii and DS have pretty similar demographics? Obviously, Mario and Zelda are still enormously popular to have sold the way they did on DS. I think what it comes down to is the casual gamers who play stuff like Nintendogs and Wii Sports are intimidated by a free-roaming 3D adventure game. To them, NSMB and Phantom Hourglass look simple and fun to play, while Galaxy and Twilight Princess look too complicated.

Wii ~4 million sold in Japan
DS ~ 20 million sold in Japan

Thats about a 5x differential

So comparing the two adjusted for tie ratio SMG would have sold ~1,003,000

Busaiku

I haven't exactly been keeping up with Super Robot Wars sales, but wouldn't that new one for the PS2 be considered a bomb?
Don't they usually do 200k+ on consoles?

Lobster

Banned
Thats a mighty small Wii bump..Something is afoot in Japan. 360 to be the new overlord? I hope the Wii bump gets higher...even DQ:S managed to push Wii over 100k..but that was when Wii was average 60k a week though..still..if DQ:S can push 40k units for a couple of weeks, I expect Super Mario galaxy to do it aswell.

donny2112

ccbfan said:
PSP software is underwhelming like usual but there's been drastic improvements since the slim release.

I see no sustained "improvement," and as JoshuaJSlone just showed, it's trending back to "normal."

ccbfan said:
Plus no game have sold disappointingly since the slim release which is good since those same type of games (like the current gundam game) used to bomb like Zack and Wiki and Opoona just did.

Yeah, those Gundam games were sure a weak spot for the PSP before CC:FFVII released.

SD Gundam G Generation Portable - 278,702
Kidou Senshi Gundam Seed : Rengou Vs. Z.A.F.T. Portable - 131,742
Gundam Battle Royale - 114,861
Gundam Battle Tactics - 73,725
Kidou Senshi Gundam: Giren no Yabou- Zeon no Keifu - 52,887
Quiz Kidou Senshi Gundam: Toi Senshi DX - 32,158

ccbfan said:
I really hope Brawl does something wonderful cause thats pretty much the last hope for getting the hardcore fanbase on the wii.

:lol

I guess "lack of alternative" for a home console isn't a good enough reason?

mutsu

ccbfan said:
Ah no

Wii play and Wii sports had long legs not because the casual owners waited to buy the games. Its because the casuals didn't have the system yet.

Wii play and Wii sports was a great predictor of Wii hardware sales during the first 6 months when the Wii was sold out all the time. Thats mean most of the Wii play and Wii sports sales are from new Wii owners not owners who took their time to buy the games.

Looking at the attach ratio for New Super Mario Bros for DS, there is a chance that Mario Galaxy could also do just that.

Or, people buying Wii Fit will also pick up Mario.

mutsu

Busaiku said:
I haven't exactly been keeping up with Super Robot Wars sales, but wouldn't that new one for the PS2 be considered a bomb?
Don't they usually do 200k+ on consoles?

The main series yes. But this is scramble commander, which is something completely different in the sense that this is 3D full scale model vs the 2D SD model of the main series.

Azrael said:
The question is, why are NSMB and Phantom Hourglass so much more popular
I don't think those two should be lumped together like that. NSMB is one of the most successful games ever. Even with a much larger userbase, Phantom Hourglass has sold similarly to Wind Waker, not a huge leap beyond Twilight Princess's numbers.
Lobster said:
Thats a mighty small Wii bump..Something is afoot in Japan. 360 to be the new overlord? I hope the Wii bump gets higher...even DQ:S managed to push Wii over 100k..but that was when Wii was average 60k a week though..still..if DQ:S can push 40k units for a couple of weeks, I expect Super Mario galaxy to do it aswell.
We can't tell what DQS would've done alone, because Wii was still in shortage. If Escape from Bug Island had been that week's release with the same hardware supply, it might've still sold 100K.

Lightning

Banned
The biggest thing about this week is that the 360 got a 14k boost from AC6 and co while the Wii only got a 10k boost from their biggest release of the year.

It's safe to say that no one can predict Japan at the moment except for the fact that they are totally preferring handhelds. I am now starting to worry at the rate this transformation is occuring as by the time FFXIII and co release Japan might have already said "fuck you" to consoles and ignore the games.

I hope Sony are taking note of this and are making plans to step up the PSP software for Japan.

Lobster

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
We can't tell what DQS would've done alone, because Wii was still in shortage. If Escape from Bug Island had been that week's release with the same hardware supply, it might've still sold 100K.

Thats true..

The SMG first week sales aren't shocking me but the hardware has...I hope Holidays bump the Wii up to over 60k..this slump is no good and it really seems as if Nintendo is doing nothing about it.

Krowley

Azrael said:

Personaly, I no longer believe that the demographics between the DS and Wii are the same in japan. This was discussed a little bit earlier in the thread, but I've thought about it a little bit more.....

From the very beginning, there was compelling hardcore software announced for the DS. Japanese 3rd party's jumped on the bandwagon pretty quickly because nintendo was dominant in the handheld space. Because of this, a certain number of traditional gamers bought the system in the early stages. Later on, the major RPG announcements caused a bunch of ps2 users to buy it.

The big launch game for DS was the SM64 remake, and it ended up outselling sunshine, so the gamers were on board from the very beginning. Nintendogs is what caused the DS to explode, but before that it was mostly selling to a more traditional audience, and it was selling decently.

This did not happen with the wii in japan. The first runaway hit was wii-sports. Zelda sold very poorly compared to the other markets.

Japanese gamers were willing to buy a nintendo handheld, especially one with final fantasy games, but they weren't so quick to jump on a nintendo console. The people who bought the wii were the expanded audience types... The nintendogs/brain-age crowd.

In japan, wii needs a hardcore version of the nintendogs phenomenon. A game that expands the wii's reach beyond novelty fans into the realm of traditional gamers. Maybe mario will have legs and do it over the holidays, or maybe it will be smash brothers, or monstor hunter.

In america, the diehard nintendo hardcore bought the wii immediatley for zelda, and then wii sports became viral and expanded the audience, so in actuality, the american wii market is much healthier than the japanese market. We have a slightly more diverse userbase, and hardcore games have a little better chance. I think the traditional nintendo hardcore are a dying breed in japan. The N64 and gamecube almost killed them off. There are still a decent number of them in america, and although they can be a fickle crowd and tough to please, they are definitly diehards and they will buy mario/zelda.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
JoshuaJSlone said:
I don't think those two should be lumped together like that. NSMB is one of the most successful games ever. Even with a much larger userbase, Phantom Hourglass has sold similarly to Wind Waker, not a huge leap beyond Twilight Princess's numbers.

Good point, actually.

CoolTrick

Banned
I'll just say that you show your complete and total noob-ness by genuinely hoping the Wii manages to "reach" 60k during the holidays.

As already said in the old mc thread - Wii hardware sales are disappointing.

The Innocent X said:
But never have they held the power over the industry they do now.
Huh, there were loads and loads on C64 and that still had Turrican.

The Innocent X said:
Case in point, the lack of sales of the excellent viva pinata, and the result
VP was a bad idea from the start - we all knew it wouldn't sell with the 360 crowd. Minigames can hardly be blamed for this.

HomerSimpson-Man said:
Not a single PSP game in the top ten and one doesn't appear until 17th place and it still sells over 50,000+ a week in Japan?

Jezus, it's total handheld country over there even if they don't buy games. And X360 over PS3...holy crap.
Very few people buy software for PSP on a worldwide scale, yet the hardware sales are OK. It's hardly a japanese thing.

TheRipDizz said:
Traditional gaming is near dead in Japan. So sad.
To think of the threads I've been run out of for suggesting such a thing, when the writting has been on the wall for the longest time. Blind fools. You know who you are.
Joke post or just stupidity?

Lightning said:
It's safe to say that no one can predict Japan at the moment except for the fact that they are totally preferring handhelds. I am now starting to worry at the rate this transformation is occuring as by the time FFXIII and co release Japan might have already said "fuck you" to consoles and ignore the games.

I hope Sony are taking note of this and are making plans to step up the PSP software for Japan.

Software-wise, I don't think there is still much Sony can do for PSP. They will have no problem selling the hardware and there will still be some huge titles like MHP2 and CCFF7 from time to time, though.

What I see Sony doing lately on the PSP side is "remote play" (PS3 connectivity) and other network functions. I think there are some potentials in these areas.

manzo

箱○始まったな! :lol :lol

Now on to 2ch to see the GK meltdowns!

edit: From 2ch: :lol

|             
|                ┌┐
│                (゚ω゚)
│                || 
│                || 
│        ┌┐ .  ||
│         ( ゚∀゚) <Ooh! Wii sales are falling!
│          ||  || I'm going to win if things go like this!
│    ┌┐   ||  ||
│   (・ω・) ||  ||
└───┴┴──┴┴───┴┴──
   360   PS3  Wii

|              ||
|             ||
│              ||
│              || 
│  ┌┐         || 
│ (・ω・) ┌┐    ||
│ ||  (д゚ ).  ||
│ ||  ||   || 
│ ||  ||   ||
│ ||  ||   ||
└─┴┴──┴┴───┴┴──
   360   PS3  Wii

donny2112 said:
No, they're budget re-releases.

11.01.07 X360 Blue Dragon (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.07.06 Microsoft 2800
11.01.07 X360 Chikyuu Boueigun (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 01.26.06 D3 Publisher 2800
11.01.07 X360 Dead or Alive 4 (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.29.05 Tecmo 2800
11.01.07 X360 Dead or Alive Xtreme 2 (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 11.22.06 Tecmo 2800
11.01.07 X360 Gears of War (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 01.18.07 Microsoft 2800
11.01.07 X360 Lost Planet Extreme Condition (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.21.06 Capcom 3800
11.01.07 X360 Onechanbara vorteX Kiketsu wo Tsugu Monotachi (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 12.14.06 D3 Publisher 2800
11.01.07 X360 Project Silpheed (Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 09.21.100 Square Enix 2800
11.02.07 X360 Idol Master (Xbox 360 Platinum Collection)
Original Release: 01.25.07 Bandai Namco Games 2800

Ah, my mistake. Two things stand out about this list: first, only 2 of these 9 re-releases made it into the Top 50, even though the lower is all the way up at 29, giving plenty of space for the others to eke in below. Demand for those 7 (and the relatively recent Halo 3) must have been pretty low.

Second, it's very clear that Microsoft was planning on exceeding PS3 sales this week. Price drop, new hardware, a two-game bundle, the biggest Japanese-popular exclusive in a while, and a big slate of Japan-focused rereleases? I'm glad they managed those last few hundred units or they would've looked pretty goofy.

How about a month from now? I doubt the afterglow and Lost Odyssey can repeat this feat versus the new model/lower price PS3, but. . .just maybe? Shin Sangoku Musou 5 will be out on both systems, and LO seems a good bet. What is it releasing against on the PS3?

justchris

Liabe Brave said:
How about a month from now? I doubt the afterglow and Lost Odyssey can repeat this feat versus the new model/lower price PS3, but. . .just maybe? Shin Sangoku Musou 5 will be out on both systems, and LO seems a good bet. What is it releasing against on the PS3?

Uncharted. There'll also be three other 360 games releasing that week. PS3 will still only have Uncharted.

Lightning said:
The biggest thing about this week is that the 360 got a 14k boost from AC6 and co while the Wii only got a 10k boost from their biggest release of the year.

Sony could go the other way. Ride the PSP until its dead and just focus on personal media players instead of bringing a successor to the PSP. I could see Sony's own spin on the iPod Touch being really popular.

justchris said:
Uncharted. There'll also be three other 360 games releasing that week. PS3 will still only have Uncharted.

Wow, that seems like a mistake. I guess we'll see if a great games lineup really is the only thing that matters for sales.

fusoya59

manzo said:
箱○始まったな! :lol :lol

Now on to 2ch to see the GK meltdowns!

edit: From 2ch: :lol

|             
|                ┌┐
│                (゚ω゚)
│                || 
│                || 
│        ┌┐ .  ||
│         ( ゚∀゚) <Ooh! Wii sales are falling!
│          ||  || I'm going to win if things go like this!
│    ┌┐   ||  ||
│   (・ω・) ||  ||
└───┴┴──┴┴───┴┴──
   360   PS3  Wii

|              ||
|             ||
│              ||
│              || 
│  ┌┐         || 
│ (・ω・) ┌┐    ||
│ ||  (д゚ ).  ||
│ ||  ||   ||