• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 10/29 - 11/4 2007

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
ethelred said:
Fail, little Mario. Fail, fail away. It's time to bring the whoring to an end.

I know I've been beaten several times, but there's just so much wrong with this post.

I'd normally expect you to have the foresight to cover your ass.

I hate handheld dominance in Japan and Pureauthor too!

Aw, don't be mad.

For the cost of a single X360, you can get two awesome gaming systems with just as much (if not more) quality gaming as the best of what the X360 has to offer. Win-win proposition? Yessireebob, it is!

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I know it's gotten lost in everything else and not a huge deal, but I'm relatively surprised at Ghost Squad..not doing that horrible for being an ancient arcade port.

Evlar

Banned
ethelred said:
Not really. Nintendo created this mess, and it's bloody awesome to see them suffer for it. Iwata, meet petard.
That's fucking stupid, like blaming the Toyota Prius for the Detroit auto industry cratering.

schuelma said:
I know it's gotten lost in everything else and not a huge deal, but I'm relatively surprised at Ghost Squad..not doing that horrible for being an ancient arcade port.

It's also a lightgun game, so it gets +2 awesome points. Go Ghost Squad!

Fady K

The Sphinx said:
That's fucking stupid, like blaming the Toyota Prius for the Detroit auto industry cratering.

I wish it was the Mario Party games that bombed and the 3D mario games like galaxy and 64 that kicked ass. But I agree with ethelred there, Nintendo created this mess.

Sure, consoles aint selling like they used to at all. But they are not so "fucked" - at all.

Handheld gaming AND Console gaming ftw.

slaughterking said:
Wow, pretty big drop for Mario.
Yeah, more than Sunshine.
Then: 281K, 103K
Now: 256K, 78K

Also puts it further behind Mario Party 8: 282K, 147K
Souldriver said:
And it just happens very rarely that a game sells more in later weeks than its launch week.
I don't think anyone was expecting it to reach 260K this week, but its second week failed to meet even lowered expectations.
ccbfan said:
At this point its bombed first day, first week, and now 2nd week. I do not like these trends. Even worse is that it did nothing for increasing Wii hardware considering sales are normally picking up now anyways as we head toward the holiday season.
Not so. One or two more weeks for that. For Japan the big time is mid-late November to early-Mid January. 30-40K for these weeks is actually right in line with what PS2 was doing in its successful years.
Cosmonaut X said:
Very disappointing numbers for Super Mario Galaxy. At this point, the only hope for the title is that it proves to have good, long legs & gets a major holiday boost, but even then it will be a hell of a slog to even match Super Mario Sunshine.
Here's the figure to watch for: 677,440. That's what Famitsu had Super Mario Sunshine at for the 2002 Top 100. It legged an extra ~100K later.
John Harker said:
That's what you get Miyamoto! For making fun of ZTP sales!!
It's outselling your golden child!
Sorry John.
TP: 145K, 36K. Two week total of 181K.
SMG: 256K, 78K. Two week total of 334K.
Magicpaint said:
(I guess you mean 3D Mario, but it's still not that clear-cut and isn't a franchise on its own. SSBM might have outsold SMS, but SM64 crushed the N64 original)
Not in Japan. SM64's lead is slight. As says Famitsu
SM64: 1.64 million
SSB: 1.63 million
Pureauthor said:
Relative to popularity of the franchise, sure, SSBB is going to sell more. But what's the justification for it reversing the trend and drawing in more than the fanbase it's always sold to?
The question specifically was what could contain more Nintendo nostalgia than SMG. SSB certainly does draw from a broader pool of nostalgia. Whether this is any aid to selling relatively better sales than SMG, we'll see.
Shinobi said:
Galaxy would've been a solid bet to sell two million units had it come out when Sunshine did.
You think the quality difference from Sunshine to Galaxy is enough to triple sales and sell to half of the eventual GCN userbase? Or are you talking a theoretical "Wii at 3.5 million in summer 2002" situation?
ethelred said:
Fail, little Mario. Fail, fail away. It's time to bring the whoring to an end.
Finally an end to the massive number of 3D Marios. At least he'll live on through Party.
Stumpokapow said:
Besides the general shift from console to handheld gaming... is there a shift away from monolithic titles or just a lack of mega hits this year? No new games have sold a million in 2007, and only two catalog titles have sold more than a million during 2007.
Not all those games you list actually reached a million by the end of 2006, let alone by mid-November. Couldn't tell you which exact ones, though.

Evlar

Banned
Fady K said:
I wish it was the Mario Party games that bombed and the 3D mario games like galaxy and 64 that kicked ass. But I agree with ethelred there, Nintendo created this mess.
What, you think they changed the spending habits of 120 million Japanese? It doesn't work that way.

If Wii Play and Wii Sports did not exist Super Mario Galaxy would not have sold a single extra copy.

creamsugar said:
Famitsu

DSL 82000
Wii 35000
PSP 55000
PS2 9400
PS3 56000
360 7000

1.Mario Party DS 242000
2.Musou PS3 176000
3.SMG 78000(335000)
4.Musou360 27000
5.FFTA2 24000(235000)
6.Castlevania PSP 20000
7.Wii Sports 18000(2091000)
8.西村サス 16000(112000)
9.Wii Play 15000(1648000)
10.Mario Kart DS 13000(2528000)

15.Ratchet & Clank Future 11000

Wow. Sony's resurrection or what ? PS3 doing good for the first time and PSP has no intention to low its sales.
Bad legs for Mario Galaxy, but I still think that it will outsell Sunshine thanks to Christmas. And what about Wii and DS: stable, but not impressive. I think that Nintendo should start to move thier ***, because here the direction of the wind is changing again.

ziran said:
Developers brought on this lethargy in the market themselves with countless rehashes of existing gameplay with new/better graphics

Dude. EAD has been doing this with every one of its major franchises for well over a decade. SMG is great and all, but painting Nintendo as the wise savior to foolish, uninventive third parties here is ludicrous.

I do feel it is far too early to call it death for the Galaxy knowing what we how about how the Japanese market works and the big weeks in Dec and Jan.

What do we know about the Japanese market that gives Galaxy any hope? Wii Fit is almost guaranteed to be the "must buy" title that moves along with holiday Wii system purchases, and SMG's 70% dropoff pretty unambiguously says that it's not benefitting from a wave of positive word-of-mouth or a mass of people who want the game but didn't want it quite enough to buy it day 1.

I think that pretty much sums up the Japanese market though, it's not just those who own Wii.

I went over this at length just a little upthread. Games have trended in an intricate and complex direction that makes them inaccessible, leading to only the hardest-core gamers still maintaining interest in them; this is a trend that Nintendo did in fact correctly identify and has worked to counteract. But it has nothing to do with people being bored of the central types of game that have made up core gaming for years; it has to do with accessibility and presentation.

It's because of the DS that we can see that this "no one wants real games anymore!" argument doesn't hold water. The truth is that Nintendo simply hasn't done the work: games succeeded on the DS because the GBA and non-gamer bases came together and formed a stronger whole, so they thought they could get away without making any serious effort to draw people on the lapsed-through-hardcore half of the spectrum on to their new console.

Weisheit said:
Billions in profit is suffering? Well, shit. I want to suffer too.

No one else here seems to be getting off on profit to the active exclusion of gaming success quite the way you do. Gratz!

Fady K

The Sphinx said:
What, you think they changed the spending habits of 120 million Japanese? It doesn't work that way.

If Wii Play and Wii Sports did not exist Super Mario Galaxy would not have sold a single extra copy.

Look, what Nintendo did with the Wii was brilliant. It was something Sony and Microsoft never pushed, and that is attracting the non-gamer. And seriously, they did fantastic and Microsoft and Sony would do well to "follow". However the trends (in Japan only it seems, thank God) is disturbing where new shit like Zak and Wiki or Metroid aint selling. Sure, its a marketing problem. They should put equal efforts in marketing the Wii as a gamers console in Japan too. The key idea is to push is to the hardcore gamers as much as they push it as the non-gamer system. But a game like Mario Galaxy should have sold a lot more man. Maybe in the long run it'll do great. But right now this is quite an awful surprise.

tanod

when is my burrito
Stumpokapow said:
Besides the general shift from console to handheld gaming... is there a shift away from monolithic titles or just a lack of mega hits this year? No new games have sold a million in 2007, and only two catalog titles have sold more than a million during 2007.

I think it's more of a lack of megahits. Mostly due to the post-launch droughts for the two new consoles and a completely irrelevant third console.

The handhelds have built up a pretty good library and IMO, there hasn't been a whole lot that's come out this year that have topped the quality of the original Brain Age, NSMB and FF3. You can't expect new stuff to sell if it's not better than what's already out.

donny2112

Frillen said:
I'm sorry, but you're going to get owned when NPD of November comes out.

Yeah, because we're totally discussing the U.S. here and in no way restricting the conversation to the decline of core games in Japan.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Pureauthor said:
Aw, don't be mad.

For the cost of a single X360, you can get two awesome gaming systems with just as much (if not more) quality gaming as the best of what the X360 has to offer. Win-win proposition? Yessireebob, it is!

Exactly, the big irony is that I am buying a PS3 (a home console) to supplement my PSP and DS gaming, not the other way around.

:D

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Anyhoo, really sucks about Galaxy's sales. While it probably sold great compared to TP, relative to development costs, it's still pretty bad considering Mario has higher expectations.

Hcoregamer00 said:
Don't worry, handheld dominance means more games for everybody.

We all win, except console owners.

Handhelds > Consoles.

First generation I've ever felt this way. It's only gonna be better next time around.

But I still have room for console love.

Weisheit

charlequin said:
No one else here seems to be getting off on profit to the active exclusion of gaming success quite the way you do. Gratz!
Thats relative bub, I don't play games like *Insert (most) famous hardcore franchises here, therefore I don't give a shit what they sell, and why should I?

As for "getting off", way to respond intelligently. Gratz!

Fady K

Eteric Rice said:
Wow, one week with the PS3 outselling the Wii and suddenly everything is "changing." :lol

I dont see this happening next week, but the fact that the Wii by 20,000 units because of a price drop is a big deal, even if for a week.

The Sphinx said:

I think many people here are misconstruing the argument, and this is a convenient sentence to summarize that misunderstanding.

I don't consider the existence of the Wii */Brain-Training/Nintendogs/etc. software to be detrimental to real games in any way. They were clearly vital to the DS's success and they clearly have a lot of potential to transition people from non-gamers into gamers. I don't think they're ruining the industry or are in any other way really worth "blaming" for the "problems" in the Japanese market.

My criticism of Nintendo has to do with their approach to actual game titles on Wii. They've yet to announce a single new core-gaming IP for Wii, instead so far focusing solely on the latest revamps of old series; unlike their competition (both of whom have made significant efforts to get trumpetable, AAA core game titles on board) they've done essentially nothing to demonstrate they're actively courting third parties to bring huge titles to the system; they have yet to release or even announce a second title with primary appeal to people who identify as core gamers (Fire Emblem being the one exception so far).

The DS shows that the two markets can not only coexist, but strengthen one another; the Wii has (or possibly "had") the opportunity to do the same, but nothing about Nintendo's current approach suggests that they are interested in doing so, and the sales of titles like SMG shows that the Wii's userbase understands that (and buys accordingly.)

Weisheit said:
As for "getting off", way to respond intelligently. Gratz!

Your offensive position and disingenuous arguing last week knocked you down from the "gets a well-reasoned response" list to the "gets potshots at the end of reasoned responses to someone else" list. Sorry!

donny2112

charlequin said:
games succeeded on the DS because the GBA and non-gamer bases came together and formed a stronger whole,

This is what I feel is happening in the U.S. for the Wii. It is the only major region that had kept a reasonable Nintendo core audience through the consoles, so combining that with the non/lapsed/non-Nintendo gamers has made the Wii what it is in the U.S. Nintendo has obviously lost a significant portion of its core gamers from the GameCube generation in Japan (probably to the DS), so it'll take an intentional and non-trivial effort on Nintendo's part to get them back.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Forgotten Ancient said:
Handhelds > Consoles.

First generation I've ever felt this way. It's only gonna be better next time around.

But I still have room for console love.

Same here, I have been playing handhelds since the brick Gameboy and the Sega Gamegear. This is the first gen I really enjoyed quite a bit.

The sprited Rivalry between Nintendo and Sony created the greatest generation of handhelds ever. I shudder to think at the pure awesomeness that will be DS2 and PSP2, being portable Nintendo Wii's and PS3's.

iidesuyo

Does anyone have a sale chart PSP vs. Wii? It seems to me that the Wii sales went lackluster around the time the PSP took off.

Anyhow I think Nintendo should bundle Wii + Wii Sports. They're too proud to lower the price, but something has to be done. Maybe Wii Fit will let Wii sales explode again, but this christmas is to important to risk anything. It will shape the future of Wii support.

I have the impression that something is changing again in Japan. And no, I'm not joking.

Wii sales are down and it seems that even a game like Mario Galaxy cannot boost them.
Mario Galaxy's sales are bad and worse then Super Mario Sunshine: this is a sign that something is wrong with Wii's audience.
PS3 sales skyrocked thanks to Musou and PSP sales are really good.
In addition, DS sales are not that high anymore and even games like FFTA2 isn't selling very well and I have the impression that games like Dragon Quests Remakes will sell well, but not as well as FFIII did. In another words: even DS and DS software isn't selling that great anymore..

So, my impression is that Nintendo's dominance is starting to decline. I don't mean that Nintendo is ***ed of something similar, but the NES-level of dominance is not here anymore and Sony is growing up slowly. First, PSP and now PS3. And I have the big impression that PS3's hardware sales will not go down very fast, exactly as PSP did. And if it can stay up until Final Fantasy and MGS4, the thing could become big...

With the DS, the market changed very fast and now I have the same impression I had in 2005: the direction of the wind is somehow turning again and maybe who said that Wii won and PS3 is a failure, was not so right after all.

But I could be wrong: after all Wii Fit could change everything once again. But I repeat: since 2 months, I see a new trend.

Weisheit

charlequin said:
Your offensive position and disingenuous arguing last week knocked you down from the "gets a well-reasoned response" list to the "gets potshots at the end of reasoned responses to someone else" list. Sorry!
Oh, please do elaborate.

Edit:
You were offended by my position on Nintendo?

Really?

:lol :lol

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
I have the impression that something is changing again in Japan. And no, I'm not joking.

Wii sales are down and it seems that even a game like Mario Galaxy cannot boost them.
Mario Galaxy's sales are bad and worse then Super Mario Sunshine: this is a sign that something is wrong with Wii's audience.
PS3 sales skyrocked thanks to Musou and PSP sales are really good.
In addition, DS sales are not that high anymore and even games like FFTA2 isn't selling very well and I have the impression that games like Dragon Quests Remakes will sell well, but not as well as FFIII did. In another words: even DS and DS software is starting to decline.

So, my impression is that Nintendo's dominance is starting to decline. I don't mean that Nintendo is ***ed of something similar, but the NES-level of dominance is not here anymore and Sony is growing up slowly. First, PSP amd now PS3 and I have the big impression that PS3's hardware sales will not go down very fast, as PSP did.

With the DS, the market changed very fast and now I have the same impression I had in 2005: the direction of the wind is somehow turning again and maybe who said that Wii won and PS3 is a failure, was not so right after all.

But I could be wrong: after all Wii Fit could change everything once again. But I repeat: since 2 months, I see a new trend.

I still think its too early to declare a new trend, especially with Nintendo having some heavy hitters in the next month or so. If after the holiday season PS3 still has a ton of momentum then maybe there is a trend.

Lightning

Banned
Prine said:
Japan in general is fucked. What a horrid place to be a gamer

Those Mario sales are fucking sad
Why is Japan a horrid place to be a gamer? They will always get the best that Sony and Nintendo offer, no matter what.

JavyOO7

Doesn't seem like Nintendo is doing such a good job with catering to both markets as they had with the DS. A few more weeks after this date in 2005 is when the DS just blew up and broke several records. I don't think the Wii could do the same in 2007 with Wii Fit. Maybe Brawl should have came in end of December after all.

Evlar

Banned
Fady K said:
Look, what Nintendo did with the Wii was brilliant. It was something Sony and Microsoft never pushed, and that is attracting the non-gamer. And seriously, they did fantastic and Microsoft and Sony would do well to "follow". However the trends (in Japan only it seems, thank God) is disturbing where new shit like Zak and Wiki or Metroid aint selling. Sure, its a marketing problem. They should put equal efforts in marketing the Wii as a gamers console in Japan too. The key idea is to push is to the hardcore gamers as much as they push it as the non-gamer system. But a game like Mario Galaxy should have sold a lot more man. Maybe in the long run it'll do great. But right now this is quite an awful surprise.
Oh I agree completely that it's awful, I'm not trying to make excuses there. And marketing may well have played some part in this (jGAF has indicated there was quite a lot of Mario presence in the media in the week leading up to release but it obviously wasn't effective). What I object to is the idea that Nintendo's casual fare is actively killing SMG and other hardcore stuff. That mistakes cause for symptom: Wii Sports and MP8's success are symptomatic of a deeper shift in the tastes of the Japanese public, and that shift is the cause of SMG's poorer sales.

We had hoped the success of the casual stuff was evidence of the emergence of a new market that would operate alongside the old one in the home console space but that doesn't seem to be the case. The trend had been obscured for a long time because of other circumstances that could explain declining sales: the slow death of PS2, the Wii's earlier hardcore titles coming from franchises that have been less popular in Japan, the various problems plaguing PS3's introduction limiting sales on that platform. SMG has NONE of those flaws yet still sells sluggishly. The hardcore have disembarked for handhelds and PCs for the time being. Perhaps some other titles next year can bring some of them back, like FFXIII or SSBB, but I'm less and less confident each passing week.

Again: Wii Sports hasn't stifled the home console industry. That's been happening for a while on its own, and Wii Sports is merely one of the first titles to succeed in spite of it.

pswii60

Fady K said:

Microsoft, fair enough. But Sony? Sony did it before Nintendo ffs. With Singstar, Buzz, Eyetoy etc. They might not have attracted grannies, but they certainly got a lot of girls in to gaming who previously would never step anywhere near a games console. Hell, here in the UK, I know a few groups of girls have 'Singstar Parties'. And a couple of younger girls my gf babysits for got a PS2 just for Singstar, nothin else.

So to say Nintendo were the first to attract non-gamers and expand the market is bullshit. Sony were doing it while Nintendo were still fannying around with the Gamecube and GBA.

Fady K

Heeey...not bad for Castlevania Drac X! Cool.

pswii60 said:
Microsoft, fair enough. But Sony? Sony did it before Nintendo ffs. With Singstar, Buzz, Eyetoy etc. They might not have attracted grannies, but they certainly got a lot of girls in to gaming who previously would never step anywhere near a games console. Hell, here in the UK, I know a few groups of girls have 'Singstar Parties'. And a couple of younger girls my gf babysits for got a PS2 just for Singstar, nothin else.

So to say Nintendo were the first to attract non-gamers and expand the market is bullshit. Sony were doing it while Nintendo were still fannying around with the Gamecube and GBA.

My bad, completely forgot about the Buzz and Singstar games. Sony Europe does an awesome job there, but what about Sony US or JP? Just wondering cause I'm not sure.

I still think there might be a small ounce of hope for Mario Galaxy, though. It's a game that just looks fun to play, and it could eventually become a crossover hit. Looks unlikely at the moment but you never know.

schuelma said:
Not quite as bad as Glitter numbers
6odiw6v.gif

Prine

Banned
Lightning said:
Why is Japan a horrid place to be a gamer? They will always get the best that Sony and Nintendo offer, no matter what.

Yeah if you own a DS... at this rate i wouldnt be surpirsed if all devs just focus on PSP and DS with all minigames on Wii (to cater to nintendos new crowd).

Cant imagine a worse scenario for gaming.

Lucky things are quite different here

Another consideration is that every trend for Wii and DS started in Japan and sooner or later diffused in USA and Europe. So, if these simptoms are not only overreactions of the GAF, but it is really the start of the decline of Wii and DS, then I think that Nintendo has still some time to change this thread.

Of course not on a software-level, because what is now scheduled cannot change anytime soon, but they can push a lot more the marketing.

For once I wanna see a Halo 3-like campaign from Nintendo and I think that a game like Smash bros. deserves it. Now it is too late for Mario Galaxy, but if Nintendo doesn't make something and if they don't put some efforts to commercialise their games, then, MARK MY WORDS, Smash will BOMB as Mario Galaxy did and this is despite of its quality.

iidesuyo said:
Does anyone have a sale chart PSP vs. Wii? It seems to me that the Wii sales went lackluster around the time the PSP took off.
I'd been thinking this as well. However,
DS, PSP, Wii 2007 (MC)
DS, PSP, Wii 2007 (Fam)
the DS/Wii drop is bigger than the PSP gain, and it seems to have started a few weeks earlier.
pswii60 said:
None of which are nearly as big in Japan. Either they're listed under a different name, or no Singstar/Buzz/EyeToy titles make J-GC's 200K cutoff for the PS2 listings.

Prine said:
Yeah if you own a DS... at this rate i wouldnt be surpirsed if all devs just focus on PSP and DS with all minigames on Wii (to cater to nintendos new crowd).

Cant imagine a worse scenario for gaming.

Ooh, ooh, I can! Let's see... devs focus resources on the hideously expensive X360 and the PS3, thereby further screwing up the industry. Man, I'm good at this!

schuelma

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Another consideration is that every trend for Wii and DS started in Japan and sooner or later diffused in USA and Europe. So, if these simptoms are not only overreactions of the GAF, but it is really the start of the decline of Wii and DS, then I think that Nintendo has still some time to change this thread.

Of course not on a software-level, because what is now scheduled cannot change anytime soon, but they can push a lot more the marketing.

For once I wanna see a Halo 3-like campaign from Nintendo and I think that a game like Smash bros. deserves it. Now it is too late for Mario Galaxy, but if Nintendo doesn't make something and if they don't put some efforts to commercialise their games, then, MARK MY WORDS, Smash will BOMB as Mario Galaxy did and this is despite of its quality.

A few points

1- I don't think advertising has much to do with Galaxy's disappointment in Japan.

2-From initial reports of line ups and sell outs, Galaxy is going to do incredibly well in N.A despite a lack of Halo 3 style marketing.

3- I don't see Smash bombing in Japan or elsewhere. If it does, Nintendo am doomed, etc.

Weisheit

charlequin said:
Sorry to respond to this again but I can only assume you referring to this exchange:
Alright. Now that we've established that you think that literally no person in Japan bought a DS for Layton or FF3, and that every single sale pre-Nintendogs was made solely to play first-party software, I think I can let my argument speak for itself.
I didn't say "literally no person in Japan bought a DS for Layton or FF3", I don't think a significant number of people bought it for those and other third party games, relative to the DS's userbase.
I find it very amusing that you refer to my position as "disingenuous" when most of the people in that thread agreed with me.

Top Bottom