• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

cvxfreak

sp0rsk said:
There was a reason we don't take famitsu numbers, it was decided a long time ago, and I remember there being a good reason for it. I can't remember the reason though.

We actually do for longer term numbers.

Lightning

Banned
Sony don't have any big guns. GT5 and FFXIII are the only big guns that Sony has for Japan. Last Remnant will probably help as well, it's on the 360 as well but Japan seem to ignore multi platform games on the 360.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Oh and if the differences between the 2 tracking sites hold true, Thursdays hardware will be very very very tight.

The thing with PS3 is outside of GT5 Prologue in 2 weeks, they really have little left until the end of January. Wii has a lot more releases coming. Should be interesting.

Defuser

schuelma said:
What truly big guns does Sony have in 08?
-Japan-
Ryuga Gotoku Kenzan
Way of Samurai 3
Bumpy Trot 2(Steambot Chronicles 2)
Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Online
White Knight Story
Gran Turismo 5
Tekken 6
Gillian Chronicles(Valkryie of the Battlefield)
Disgaea 3

-Multiplatform-
Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet (LOL)
Soul Caliber 4
Trusty Bell(Eternal Sonata) more LOL
Last Remnant

-Tentative-
Final Fantasy XIII
Resident Evil 5(LOLz?)

This is for Japan only so far. I won't be listing out US games yet unless you want me to.

Parl

Grecco said:
Crusade started talking about software. And how more developers should support it because its "profitable"

Well, if Nintendo decided they were going to drop out of the video games market, lay off most of their staff, and sell Mario themed cups for the next ten years, they will make a profit. Nintendo should hire me.

ksamedi

Crusade said:
Actually, I was talking about hardware. PSP is the second biggest platform in Japan, despite the fact that there is a fundamental lack of software though that could sell well, and could see PSP possibly doing even better. DS took that pie already, but there's still potential on PSP and it's reinvigorated hardware sales may make 3rd parties look twice

I think the biggest problem of the PSP is piracy. Its setup like a portable computer and thus people don't have a hard time finding out how to play pirated games, or even movies. Otherwise I don't see any reason for the low software sales besides a lacking interest in traditional games. If the low software sales continue though, third parties really don't have that much of a reason to make exlusive stuff for it. Unless you're SE or Capcom that is.

Elios83

Concerns about PSP software sales are pointless at this stage, it's well known that PSP is selling as a portable entertainment device and not as a pure portable game console.
Developers who are willing to make the right games for it ( like Monster Hunter, Crisis Core, Metal Gear Portable Ops, Hot Shot Golf and in the upcoming months God of War and Kingdom Hearts) can still make a lot of money with the big userbase the product enjoys, so it's just their take.
About the PS3, it's definitely enjoying a big comeback and its 2008 lineup will be strong enough to sustain sales in a much more consistent way than the poor "one good game every 3-4 months" 2007 lineup ( Devil May Cry 4, Disgaea 3, Eternal Sonata, Metal Gear Solid 4, Yakuza 3,Ace Combat, Lost Planet are all scheduled for the first months of next year and there are probably a lot of unknown titles at this stage). But the definitive weapons Sony has to conquer Japan are FFXIII, PS3Slim&Lite (and of course a possible FFVII remake :D :D ).

cvxfreak

Anyway, last week's Famitsu number for SMG was actually 43,317, so it went down 6K instead of just 3K.

EDIT: nevermind. Someone posted it already on the previous page.

FrankT

And I thought Wii would be rising to heaven long before this point again. Things will be very interesting from here on out.

Oh shit, this is the real stuff people. :D

PS3 pulling a PSP on us, the PSP pulling a...itself on us: both are hanging on to really good numbers (I predicted right \o/)

Wii in a slump, although there's no real reason for the increase this week (holidays?).

DS is good, but with a DQ of 600k I expected more.

Galaxy still somewhat hanging on

Sonic & Mario is really high, after reading the 15k first day numbers.

Interesting times indeed. :D The only one missing the party is MS. Too bad they don't have a really large game coming out which could boost 360 sales to 30k-ish, then the party would be complete.

Crusade

schuelma said:
What truly big guns does Sony have in 08?
Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy were going to be my main answers. I'm going to get a flurry of but-buts either way and we don't need this becoming list wars

schuelma

Crusade said:
Gran Turismo, and Final Fantasy were going to be my main answers. I'm going to get a flurry of but-buts either way and we don't need this becoming list wars

I don't think Final Fantasy will come out, but if does, then yes, that would be great for Sony.

Parl

Crusade said:
Actually, I was talking about hardware. PSP is the second biggest platform in Japan, despite the fact that there is a fundamental lack of software though that could sell well, and could see PSP possibly doing even better. DS took that pie already, but there's still potential on PSP and it's reinvigorated hardware sales may make 3rd parties look twice

PSP has had many good games come out over its time. It began by being a heavily supported console. There's a reason why it's not as supported anymore, despite consistently good hardware sales, and as always, it's to do with software sales.

PSP will continue to get some games, but it's in the league of GameCube and Saturn in terms it's owner's collective buying rate. With GameCube and Saturn, it was down to lack of owners - with PSP, it's down to modding people not buying much.

Elios83

Souldriver said:
Interesting times indeed. :D The only one missing the party is MS. Too bad they don't have a really large game coming out which could boost 360 sales to 30k-ish, then the party would be complete.

Lost Odyssey,which will lift sales exactly to 30k-ish if it performs similarly to Blu Dragon last year (which I doubt but the possibility is still there).

gconsole

sp0rsk said:
There was a reason we don't take famitsu numbers, it was decided a long time ago, and I remember there being a good reason for it. I can't remember the reason though.

Famitsu sale includes 2nd hand copy?

cvxfreak

gconsole said:
Famitsu sale includes 2nd hand copy?

No, something to do with Media Create coming out with the first official numbers for Japan, before other trackers. This includes comprehensive hardware numbers. However, given that Media Create does not provide any numbers for games 11-50 and don't always release half-year and YTD lists, Famitsu takes up shop for people looking for long term sales.

farnham

Banned
Defuser said:
-Japan-
Ryuga Gotoku Kenzan
Way of Samurai 3
Bumpy Trot 2(Steambot Chronicles 2)

Metal Gear Solid 4
Metal Gear Online
White Knight Story
Gran Turismo 5
Tekken 6
Gillian Chronicles(Valkryie of the Battlefield)

Disgaea 3

-Multiplatform-
Devil May Cry 4
Lost Planet (LOL)
Soul Caliber 4
Trusty Bell(Eternal Sonata) more LOL
Last Remnant

-Tentative-
Final Fantasy XIII

This is for Japan only so far. I won't be listing out US games yet unless you want me to.

No for the bolded ones

Way of Samuray 1 sold about 500k.. but as far as i remember the second one was not hot at all

White Knight Story.. well Level 5 RPGs (Dark Chronicles and Rogue Galaxy) did pretty badly even in PS2 days

Tekken 6 well... tekken did not do well after Tekken 4 and never recovered from it..

Disgea.. im not sure.. but i dont think nippon ichi games ever were big sellers

Plus.. none of those games have the selling power of

Winning Eleven and Dynasty Warriors.. with the exception of FF and maybe GT

donny2112

Crusade said:
And what is the distribution of 3rd party versus Nintendo here (or even just Wii Sports/Play), hmm? Context is also fundamental. You have the numbers, perhaps you can work it out?

As far as determining the quality of a system's library, I have and continue to hold that games are games, regardless of third-party vs. first-party. Just looking at the numbers, though ...

PSP through end of Nov. 2005: 1.5 million
NDS through end of Nov. 2005: 1.4 million
Wii through Nov. 11, 2007: 1.1 million

For comparison, PS2 through end of Feb. 2001: 7.3 million

Crusade said:
You seem to be awfully bitter about the possibility of PS3 having a brighter future, don't you?:)

There are always possibilities. However, holding up current PS3 hardware sales as a reason to expect good things in the future completely ignores history if you consider GameCube to be a failure. If you consider the GameCube to be a good system that sold OK with good games, then it's reasonable for that person to hold up the PS3 in the same light.

harSon

Banned
Elios83 said:
Lost Odyssey,which will lift sales exactly to 30k-ish if it performs similarly to Blu Dragon last year (which I doubt but the possibility is still there).

Depends. Is there a killer Lost Odyssey Xbox 360 bundle? The Blue Dragon Bundle from a while back was pretty insane (Core, Blue Dragon game, Figurines, and Face plate for ~$250).

I really hope Playstation 3 sales level out close to this number consistently, Sony has had not trouble getting a spike in sales in the past. Their biggest problems is maintaining the momentum.

Elios83 said:
When is it coming out? If it's in december the 30k will be good, but pale compared to the high numbers from Sony and Nintendo due to the holidays. And then, MS will be "left out of the party" again. ;_;

Crusade

schuelma said:
I don't think Final Fantasy will come out, but if does, then yes, that would be great for Sony.

You don't think it will come out... At all? What the Hell would give you that idea?

Parl said:
PSP has had many good games come out over its time. It began by being a heavily supported console. There's a reason why it's not as supported anymore, despite consistently good hardware sales, and as always, it's to do with software sales.

PSP will continue to get some games, but it's in the league of GameCube and Saturn in terms it's owner's collective buying rate. With GameCube and Saturn, it was down to lack of owners - with PSP, it's down to modding people not buying much.
I think you people over-estimate the modding community, especially considering it's difficulty on PSP. I think PSP's real problem software-wise is a fundamental lack of a system for word-of-mouth. And PS3 is basically the same. It's not like DS or PS2 where everyone owns it, so there's widespread word of mouth. Or Wii, where the non-gamer community has heavily promoted it. Or Xbox where there's is such a strong central community around Xbox Live, that word of mouth is potent. PSP and PS3 really have no word of mouth strength besides magazines and online, which they share space with competitors anyway. You think this may be a problem? Because it's hard to figure out why the software ratios are at the rate they are

Defuser

farnham said:
No for the bolded ones

Way of Samuray 1 sold about 500k.. but as far as i remember the second one was not hot at all

White Knight Story.. well Level 5 RPGs (Dark Chronicles and Rogue Galaxy) did pretty badly even in PS2 days

Tekken 6 well... tekken did not do well after Tekken 4 and never recovered from it..

Disgea.. im not sure.. but i dont think nippon ichi games ever were big sellers

Plus.. none of those games have the selling power of

Winning Eleven and Dynasty Warriors.. with the exception of FF and maybe GT
I never say all those games are big sellers. I'm just listing out the good games. ^_^

farnham

Banned
Defuser said:
I never say all those games are big sellers. I'm just listing out the good games. ^_^
mmkay i thought we are in a sales thread.. also i interpreted "big guns" as games with potential to sell well rather then games that defuser really likes..

sorry for that

Parl said:
Have you a list of software market share with all systems since the launch of PS3/Wii?
I actually just recently put the Famitsu software pie information in my database. No special tools for viewing it, but using the SQL Direct page the information can be easily enough accessed. Here are a couple queries that even someone without SQL knowledge should be able to make the slight modifications to to get what they want.

Viewing data for a single week
Viewing data for a single platform

schuelma

Crusade said:
You don't think it will come out... At all? What the Hell would give you that idea?

No, I don't think it will come out in 08.

Crusade

farnham said:
mmkay i thought we are in a sales thread.. also i interpreted "big guns" as games with potential to sell well rather then games that defuser really likes..

sorry for that
I think all those games have the potential to do well. And building a library is more important than expecting an individual game to pull you out of the wetworks IMO. The more Sony has going for them, the less people will turn away

Crusade

schuelma said:
Oh. Maybe. I think we'll have to wait and see what's happening with that game when it's reunveiled. Predicting when it lands right now is a stab in the dark either way

donny2112

Crusade said:
I think PSP's real problem software-wise is a fundamental lack of a system for word-of-mouth. And PS3 is basically the same. It's not like DS or PS2 where everyone owns it, so there's widespread word of mouth.

Then how does any system succeed? They don't spring forth from Zeus's head fully mature with a pre-installed userbase, after all. I think this reasoning is more than a little specious.

Elios83

schuelma said:

It would be stupid for them to miss Christmas 2008 in Japan, it's the perfect time to release it (Sony could work with them for a killer bundle with a new PS3 model) and the game has been in development for a long time (actually they said that lots of elements like the story were ready before 2005 because the title should have been a PS2 game initially).

donny2112

Elios83 said:
It would be stupid for them to miss Christmas 2008 in Japan

Final Fantasy VII - 1/31/1997
Final Fantasy VIII - 2/11/1999
Final Fantasy IX - 7/7/2000
Final Fantasy X - 7/19/2001
Final Fantasy XII - 3/16/2006

They have historically not launched near the New Year shopping season. With this in mind, a Spring/Summer 2009 Japanese release seems likely.

Big-E

Crusade said:
I think you people over-estimate the modding community, especially considering it's difficulty on PSP. I think PSP's real problem software-wise is a fundamental lack of a system for word-of-mouth. And PS3 is basically the same. It's not like DS or PS2 where everyone owns it, so there's widespread word of mouth. Or Wii, where the non-gamer community has heavily promoted it. Or Xbox where there's is such a strong central community around Xbox Live, that word of mouth is potent. PSP and PS3 really have no word of mouth strength besides magazines and online, which they share space with competitors anyway. You think this may be a problem? Because it's hard to figure out why the software ratios are at the rate they are

How is pirating on the psp difficult? Its probably one of the easiest video game devices to get pirated games on it in recent memory.

Parl

Defuser said:
Which is? I can't remember right now.
6y0shmv.jpg

Big-E said:
How is pirating on the psp difficult? Its probably one of the easiest video game devices to get pirated games on it in recent memory.
That is very true. No hardware modifications required at all. It's just a simple installation of a bit of software got from a website and then chucked onto the PSP through a USB cable. It's easier than getting up and running with iTunes.

I haven't done it myself, but a friend of mine as modified about half a dozen PSPs. It's very common for people to have their PSPs modded. Well, at least in the UK it is.

Crusade

donny2112 said:
Then how does any system succeed? They don't spring forth from Zeus's head fully mature with a pre-installed userbase, after all. I think this reasoning is more than a little specious.
Brand names and previous userbases always help, PS3 did a fine job of turning them away though, unfortunately. I think the fundamental thing that helped PS1, leading to PS2 and it's software was magazines and demo discs. At least from my perspective. That was a way Sony got playable stuff into people's hands. Magazines have lost prevalance, demo discs are rare and Sony doesn't have a good distribution model for demos now - unlike Xbox Live.

If you look at the early-life of DS, third parties didn't do so well. It's only as DS sales shot up and up, and it became truly mainstream, that games across the board began to do well. Wii, right now, outside of Wii Play and Sports which are widely known as the games to get with Wii - hasn't been thoroughly impressing with software sales. PS3 doesn't even have anything like that, there's no "game to get with your PS3" at this point. I think unless you're a hardcore gamer, you're a bit in the dark as far as what to buy.

So I guess what I'm saying is unless you get the right games at the right time that everybody wants, you won't propel to that point where the system is widespread enough that word-of-mouth is naturally occurring (like PS2 and DS), and unless you've got some intergrated system like XBL, your software sales are going to suffer. I dunno what it means for PS3, or Wii for that matter. I just think it might explain the large disparity in software ratios

Perhaps if Home is a success, they'll have something going like that. But that's not what I'm putting any money on.

D.Lo

The problem with the Wii vs PS3 arguments is that to claim one is doing well based on the other doesn't paint a true picture.

A couple of months ago the Wii nosedived. This should have been very alarming (and was to some extent), but Nintendo fans comforted themselves with the fact that the Wii was still ahead of PS3 weekly and far ahead of PS3 LTD. While the Wii is still in a commanding position LTD, Nintendo probabaly should have dealt with the issue sooner.

It's likely they originally had Wii Music or something planned for this period, but delayed it because it seemed likely they wouldn't need it this year. What is true in that since they're tracking ahead of the PS2, they still have time to work on it. The problem with this strategy is that they not only competing with the PS3, they're competing with the DS. Has this tactical error (resting on laurels because the competition is flaccid) led to Japan becoming a handheld-only nation (DS-only really, based on software sales)? Or are they just happy to have Wii supplies for other markets this Christmas, and will worry about the country where they're 2.5 million ahead of their closest competitor later?

But now we have PS3 fans claiming the PS3 is doing well because with never-to-be-repeated circumstances (Musou+price drop+new colour) it has marginally outsold a flatlining Wii. For the PS3 to be the PS2 again, it needs to outsell the DS for a year, not just the Wii for a month.

As for the PSP, it's software sales outside of two big games (MHP2, CC) are almost non-existent. last page Donny had PSP software sales for this year at 3.7 million (Famitsu top 30), but MHP2 and CC are more then 2 million of that. MHP2 was a genuine success on the platform, but CC would have sold anywhere.

Crusade

Big-E said:
DS is even easier. Much, much, much easier in fact. And DS software sales aren't exactly problematic are they? With PSP, you have to deal with confusing firmware upgrades and downgrades with specific games to buy in order to do it (Lumines), pandora batteries and a lot of stuff that's plain befuddling. You over-estimate the modding community.

Septimus

donny2112 said:
Final Fantasy VII - 1/31/1997
Final Fantasy VIII - 2/11/1999
Final Fantasy IX - 7/7/2000
Final Fantasy X - 7/19/2001
Final Fantasy XII - 3/16/2006

They have historically not launched near the New Year shopping season. With this in mind, a Spring/Summer 2009 Japanese release seems likely.

Question: Historically, when has Square provided release dates / how long after revealing a main final fantasy game did they come up with a release date?

donny2112

D.Lo said:
While the Wii is still in a commanding position LTD, Nintendo probabaly should have dealt with the issue sooner.

It's likely they originally had Wii Music or something planned for this period, but delayed it because it seemed likely they wouldn't need it this year.

Iwata said that doing a Wii Sports 2 would've been easy, but they didn't want to take the easy path. When Wii sales first were dropping, I thought that not doing the "easy" thing with a Wii Sports 2 was a mistake on Iwata's part. They did release a Brain Training 2 within a year from Brain Training 1's release, after all. Oh, well. I hope they eventually come out with a Wii Sports 2/Motorsports/etc.

Septimus said:
Question: Historically, when has Square provided release dates / how long after revealing a main final fantasy game did they come up with a release date?

No clue, sorry.

Grecco

Crusade said:
DS is even easier. Much, much, much easier in fact. And DS software sales aren't exactly problematic are they? With PSP, you have to deal with confusing firmware upgrades and downgrades with specific games to buy in order to do it (Lumines), pandora batteries and a lot of stuff that's plain befuddling. You over-estimate the modding community.

This is so wrong its not even funny.

Parl

Crusade said:

DS requires purchasing a piece of hardware which is expensive (or at least used to be). Some people don't know where to get these from. PSP requires a larger memory stick too, though.

PSP required sitting on your arse, reading a tutorial, and changing some things. Also, great emulation support is a huge incentive to do this, and once they're at this stage, playing PSP ROMs from the memory stick is very appealing.

Also, DS is a very casual system where most people are unaware of being able to play games for free, and it also delays the start up time for playing a game for 10 minutes. Also, PSP games are more expensive.

Crusade

Grecco said:
This is so wrong its not even funny.
With DS you just need an R4 and you've got plug and play piracy on the go, there was a thread the other day here talking about how they're being explicitly sold throughout Japanese game shops. With signs reading "R4 AVAILABLE NOW - You know what it does"

I'm not saying there's not a prevelant piracy community on PSP, but like any system - it wouldn't be significant enough to stop the system from selling software

ksamedi

donny2112 said:
Iwata said that doing a Wii Sports 2 would've been easy, but they didn't want to take the easy path. When Wii sales first were dropping, I thought that not doing the "easy" thing with a Wii Sports 2 was a mistake on Iwata's part. They did release a Brain Training 2 within a year from Brain Training 1's release, after all. Oh, well. I hope they eventually come out with a Wii Sports 2/Motorsports/etc.

No clue, sorry.

I don't think Wiisports is a audiance expanding game though, Its still a waste of time to play Wiisports for a lot of people. WiiFit though is the equivaltent of Bran Training, it does something usefull while providing fun. I think Iwata pushed Miyamoto for a December release for WiiFit.

Crusade

Lightning said:
Reading through Crusade's posts in this thread he may be in for a tough time here. :lol
I've disturbed the hive. Obviously I can't talk about Sony doing well, even when they are doing well when it comes to Media-Create threads?:D

Top Bottom