• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

Kyoufu

Crusade said:
With PSP doing numbers like this as a consistent, I think it could do some insane numbers if some killer apps came out. What's in the pipeline for PSP in Japan? I know Minna no Golf is soon (next week?) which should pull some nice numbers, and it has a new Monster Hunter in the pipeline. But what else?

I don't think anybody, even Sony expected it to start picking up so much. I bet there's a bit of movement to get some big stuff out

Minna no Golf Portable 2 will be huge I think. Monster Hunter 2nd G, not so much, since its just an expansion. It'll sell well but not anything like the actual game released earlier this year.

Not really sure whats coming in the next few months but I'll predict that Kingdom Hearts PSP will be just as successful as Crisis Core.

Crusade

Parl said:
DS software sales are still 5 to 10 times higher, nearly every week.
I know, but that doesn't mean there's not good money to be made on PSP. That's like saying the second tallest man in the world is short

farnham

Banned
this situation in japan is really really weird..

how can nintendo be so weak in a Q4 period of the year..?

Kyoufu said:
Minna no Golf Portable 2 will be huge I think. Monster Hunter 2nd G, not so much, since its just an expansion. It'll sell well but not anything like the actual game released earlier this year.

Not really sure whats coming in the next few months but I'll predict that Kingdom Hearts PSP will be just as successful as Crisis Core.

no.. Minna no golf online was a flop

and MH2 on PSP was a huge success.. i think MH2G will easily outsell MGP2

creamsugar

12.Dynasty Warriors 6 (PS3) - 31,000(281,000)
13.Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) - 29,000(134,000)
16.Famista DS (DS) - 18,000(63,000)
21.Pokemon Mystery Dungeon (DS) - 12,000(1,065,000)
22.西村サス 10000(133000)
23.FFTA2 10000(259000)
24.家計 10000(296000)
25.MHP2 9500(1376000)
26.有野 8900(55000)
28.文学 8400(109000)
29.Heavenly Sword  8400(24000)

Crusade

Segata Sanshiro said:
Haha, Nintendo better hope Wii Fit floats some boats.

I love a good scrap

and just for my sweet prince: The tide is turning!
What date does GT5 Prologue come out? We could end up with a showdown :D

Parl

Crusade said:
I know, but that doesn't mean there's not good money to be made on PSP. That's like saying the second tallest man in the world is short
No, it's like saying the second shortest man in Japan is short.

no real reason for the Wii increase.
but the PS3 bump can go hand in hand with the football game.

DS didn't bump as much as i expected though, and PSP continues its good recent form.

So, everyone's under the assumption that there are millions of people who don't care about Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Mario Party who are just waiting on Wii Fit to buy a Wii right?

What if this doesn't happen?

And how long is this 'PS3 Easter' projected to last?

I don't think it's a safe assumption that Wii sales are just going to jump back to mid-year levels without any proven IPs for another 3 months (SSBB), while PS3 levels will drop back down to mediocre with GT Prologue coming soon.

If Nintendo is outsold by the PS3 for any significant amount of time over the holiday season, they will have seriously regretted not dropping the price in response to the PS3, offering bundles, or having a more focused game lineup.

Crusade

Parl said:
No, it's like saying the second shortest man in Japan is short.
What exactly is the point you're trying to make?

farnham said:
this situation in japan is really really weird..

how can nintendo be so weak in a Q4 period of the year..?

Calm before the storm perhaps

DefectiveReject said:
but the PS3 bump can go hand in hand with the football game.

Are we going to say this for every game? PS3 has yet to fall, I think it's a bit presumptious to assume it'll just plummet again once there's a week without a game

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So, everyone's under the assumption that there are millions of people who don't care about Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Mario Party who are just waiting on Wii Fit to buy a Wii right?

I don't think it's a safe assumption that Wii sales are just going to jump back to mid-year levels without any proven IPs for another 3 months (SSBB), while PS3 levels will drop back down to mediocre with GT Prologue coming soon.

If Nintendo is outsold by the PS3 for any significant amount of time over the holiday season, they will have seriously regretted not dropping the price in response to the PS3, offering bundles, or having a more focused game lineup.

?????????????????????????

PS3 just had
1) a price drop
2) a new model
3) a BIG release

Wii had nothing the last few weeks aside Mario, and is actually increasing.
WiiFit comes out Saturday andSSBB actually comes out January in Japan. It also outsells PS3 MASSIVELY worldwide. The DS had this kinda blip at the same oint, good start, dropped and then picked up again.

All will be well!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sho_Nuff82 said:

But Wii is skyrocketing everywhere else in the world this month, it seems. It might have seemed perfectly obvious to expect the same in Japan. It is very confusing though. Wii should have skyrocketed there too rather than taper off..a regular old Xmas bump ought to have been expected too. But there's always december.

DefectiveReject said:
Wii had nothing the last few weeks aside Mario, and is actually increasing.

That's a pretty big aside given where general expectations were for that title, though, you have to admit. No one would peg any of PS3's titles in the last while as 'big' or as impactful as Mario, or as Mario ought to be.

farnham

Banned
Sho_Nuff82 said:

Wii Fit is big.. sorry but assuming that it will not bump any sales is just a bad guess

of course we dont know exactly now but amazon is already reporting sell outs.. and the game isnt even out..

also dont forget that GT 5 Prologue is not a game.. its a demo..

Sho_Nuff82 said:

i bet they already do.. they should have sold a bunch if they would have only released some color variations..

gofreak said:
But Wii is skyrocketing everywhere else in the world this month, it seems. It might have seemed perfectly obvious to expect the same in Japan. It is very confusing though. Wii should have skyrocketed there too rather than taper off..a regular old Xmas bump ought to have been expected too. But there's always december.

its rather worrying for a nintendo fan as me because the sales of the other regions seem to follow the sales in japan.. it was like that with the PSone, with the DS, with the PS2.. only the xbox and the 360 are exceptions to this rule...

Parl

Crusade said:
What exactly is the point you're trying to make?
Your analogy implies that there's loads of money to be had on PSP software sales. I see no evidence of that. PSP is not the second tallest man in the world. There's always some money, but PSP software sales in Japan (and worldwide) are lower than more than just DS.

Same applies to if 360 gets a huge hardware sales boost from Lost Odyssey.

cvxfreak

13.Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (Wii) - 29,000(134,000)

6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg

6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg

6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg

6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg
6y0shmv.jpg

Scotch

How come Famitsu releases their numbers so early lately? And wasn't the whole reason GAF uses Media Create numbers as the default source because MC released their numbers first?

Crusade

gofreak said:
That's a pretty big aside given where general expectations were for that title, though, you have to admit. No one would peg any of PS3's titles in the last while as 'big' or as impactful as Mario, or as Mario ought to be.
If I've noticed anything over the past few years, gaming sales trends tend to start in Japan and end with America picking up on the trends a lot later. Perhaps the opposite is also true when systems aren't selling so great? Maybe, that's how it happened with PSP

Scotch said:
How come Famitsu releases their numbers so early lately? And wasn't the whole reason GAF uses Media Create numbers as the default source because MC released their numbers first?
Aye, but it would be a real pain in the ass to change all the charts and stuff now.

Jonnyram

西村サス = Nishimura Suspense
家計 = Housekeeping
有野 = Game Center DX
文学 = Book Compendium

Crusade

Parl said:
Your analogy implies that there's loads of money to be had on PSP software sales. I see no evidence of that. PSP is not the second tallest man in the world. There's always some money, but PSP software sales in Japan (and worldwide) are lower than more than just DS.

Same applies to if 360 gets a huge hardware sales boost from Lost Odyssey.
PSP IS the second biggest, most profitable platform in Japan. How can you argue otherwise?:lol

The sales potential doesn't scratch DS, but there is still easy money to be made with good software. Especially now that it's going through such a consistent boost

swerve

gofreak said:
It'll be bizarro-world if PS3 outsells Wii in Japan for November, given the latter's performance elsewhere in the world in the same month - a Q4 month, nonetheless. Never would have saw that coming. I don't know how much of it is PS3 strength vs Wii weakness, though, which makes it odder still.

I got accused of stealth trolling for suggesting exactly that a few weeks back. Truth is PS3 is effectively enjoying a re-launch here, with a lot more activity in the shop aisles, stronger in-store promotions, new deep red coloured packaging (which makes it seem 'fresh'), new price, and a string of Japan friendly games. People not expecting it to at least keep parity with Wii for November surprised me.

It's still got GT5Prologue, and to a lesser extent Uncharted, to go through December with, too. It's perfectly conceivable for PS3 to be the biggest selling home hardware for November AND December in Japan. That probably makes me a stealth troll again, or something, but it seems fairly obviously a possibility to me.

PSP-wise, it too has a new sort of image to it. The new adverts call it 'karu-pee' (shortened Japanese for 'light(weight) psp'), and it's doing the business. And the new red one is out here soon, to boost that further.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
cvxfreak said:
See cvx, it didn't disappear, it's just not in the top 10 since the holiday season has slowly begun and other big titles are coming out because of that.

Jonnyram said:
西村サス = Nishimura Suspense
家計 = Housekeeping
有野 = Game Center DX
文学 = Book Compendium

22.西村サス 10000(133000)
26.有野 8900(55000)
Yay!

wsippel

Banned
Scotch said:
Only the trend charts come this early. Final Famitsu numbers are released about a week after MC numbers if I remember correctly.

Crusade said:
Are we going to say this for every game? PS3 has yet to fall, I think it's a bit presumptious to assume it'll just plummet again once there's a week without a game
It fell last week
Please don't trust these numbers. you guys dd last week then cried when Media Creata came in 15,000 lower.

It did fall, but the new game this week bumped it back, so yeah i expect another fall

Parl

Crusade said:
PSP IS the second biggest, most profitable platform in Japan. How can you argue otherwise?:lol

The sales potential doesn't scratch DS, but there is still easy money to be made with good software. Especially now that it's going through such a consistent boost

For instance, Wii and PS2 software sales for 2007 have been much higher than PSP's. Big games like Crisis Core will obviously sell well on other consoles.

It's like how 3rd party 360 games sell better than 3rd party Wii games. Much of this is down to the fact that they're not the same games. Good games on 360 are obviously going to sell better than crap games on Wii. Just as how good games on PSP will sell better than crap games on DS (sometimes).

DefectiveReject said:
It fell last week
Please don't trust these numbers. you guys dd last week then cried when Media Creata came in 15,000 lower.

It did fall, but the new game this week bumped it back, so yeah i expect another fall

Famitsu numbers aren't fake you know. Just different. The truth is probably somewhere in between, like IGN and Gamespot scores.

Crusade

It fell last week

Last week it was at 50,000 too, according to Famitsu. There was a disparity between that and the MC numbers, but seeing as we're talking Famitsu numbers right now - we should keep it consistent

There's nothing to say MC is more accurate, why should I not follow these numbers?

swerve said:
I got accused of stealth trolling for suggesting exactly that a few weeks back. Truth is PS3 is effectively enjoying a re-launch here, with a lot more activity in the shop aisles, stronger in-store promotions, new deep red coloured packaging (which makes it seem 'fresh'), new price, and a string of Japan friendly games. People not expecting it to at least keep parity with Wii for November surprised me.

It's still got GT5Prologue, and to a lesser extent Uncharted, to go through December with, too. It's perfectly conceivable for PS3 to be the biggest selling home hardware for November AND December in Japan. That probably makes me a stealth troll again, or something, but it seems fairly obviously a possibility to me.

PSP-wise, it too has a new sort of image to it. The new adverts call it 'karu-pee' (shortened Japanese for 'light(weight) psp'), and it's doing the business. And the new red one is out here soon, to boost that further.
It's a

Kaz-Hirai.jpg

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Famitsu numbers aren't fake you know. Just different. The truth is probably somewhere in between, like IGN and Gamespot scores.
there not used by Sony nor Nintendo either for sales.

Media Create are...........................!

Junior member guy can take that bit of advice too

Defuser

Crusade said:
With PSP doing numbers like this as a consistent, I think it could do some insane numbers if some killer apps came out. What's in the pipeline for PSP in Japan? I know Minna no Golf is soon (next week?) which should pull some nice numbers, and it has a new Monster Hunter in the pipeline. But what else?

I don't think anybody, even Sony expected it to start picking up so much. I bet there's a bit of movement to get some big stuff out
Let see...

Minna no Golf 2
Silent Hill Zero
Patapon
Hajime no Ippo
Suzumiya Haruhi no Yakusoku
Star Ocean First Departure
Sora no Kiseki collections

2008:
KH:BBS
Dissida : FF
MHP2G
Musou Orochi

Not much stuff for 2008 actually.

I would say Famitsu and Media Create are the same, it depends whether those 2 are able to get sales figures from all the shops.

Kyoufu

Defuser said:
Let see...

Silent Hill Zero
Musou Orochi

I forgot about all of these, especially Star Ocean, buying that day one.

The bundle will shift quite a few PSPs.

Crusade

DefectiveReject said:
there not used by Sony nor Nintendo either for sales.

Media Create are...........................!

Junior member guy can take that bit of advice too
This is false, Nintendo have used Enterbrain numbers very consistently in the past

Defuser said:
Let see...

Minna no Golf 2
Silent Hill Zero
Patapon
Hajime no Ippo

2008:
MHP2G
Musou Orochi

Well the Slim only launched recently. I think the renwed popularity might increase the 2008 software output for the system. I mean, the hardware sales are hard to ignore and CC showed that the right kind of software can sell on the thing.

Crusade

Defuser said:
Let see...

Minna no Golf 2
Silent Hill Zero
Patapon
Hajime no Ippo

2008:
MHP2G
Musou Orochi

I would say Famitsu and Media Create are the same, it depends whether those 2 are able to get sales figures from all the shops.
It's a bit anemic at the moment isn't it? Hopefully developers are looking at PSP as a good investment now though

Luckyman

Banned
farnham said:
WE 2008 didnt sell nearly as great as its predecessors and did not give any boost to the PS3 hardware sales (maybe a little)

:lol

What? PS3 would have dropped way behind Wii without WE. I think it gave a nice boost.

Laguna

Banned
2 of the biggest PS2 franchises (Dynasty Warriors and PES - both millionsellers) released on PS3 and a new model including a pricecut. And Sonyfans are surprised for a sales increase? You know that last week released PES2008 (its predecessors sold more than Metal Gear Solid 2 and MGS3).

Crusade

DKJB79 said:
oh my god, PS3 will pass the WII (in Japan) in around...10 years at this rate :p

nintendo is doomed :lol
I don't think any PS3 fans are setting that goal just yet. At this point, I think PS3 fans just want a console that is selling healthily enough to justify 3rd parties keeping it's games exclusive (MGS4, Final Fantasy mainly)

Top Bottom