• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 11/12 - 11/18 2007

A few good weeks for the PS3, the timing of game releases and the price drop was very well done. I think it's not going to go down until after New Year.

Crusade

Laguna said:
2 of the biggest PS2 franchises (Dynasty Warriors and PES - both millionsellers) released on PS3 and a new model including a pricecut. And Sonyfans are surprised for a sales increase? You know that last week released PES2008 (its predecessors sold more than Metal Gear Solid 2 and MGS3).
It's also multiplatform with PS2.

praxis69 said:
Hopefully for the remainder of this generation. That would bode well for HD gaming.

Fixed for truth, justice, and the 720p way. Competent PS3 sales (and more importantly, game sales) in Japan are important for PS3/360/PC sales worldwide, as it's really the only viable HD platform in the region, and its really as good an excuse as any to continue the mutliplatform gravy train most devs have set up.

Nintendo having some competition may force them to take some drastic measures on their end as well, which will be good for gamers in the end.

DefectiveReject said:
GAF gets Juniors...... Juniors cause mass hysteria over sales...... Juniors go bye-bye.

Cycle is restored.

Wait for the Media Create thread guys!

Hate to paraphrase BenjaminBirdie again, but you parroting this stuff isn't lending to healthy discussion. It isn't entirely feast or famine, black and white, one console sucks while the other one rulez. No one is saying "japan is sonyland", we're simply saying look, the PS3 is still outselling the Wii, why is this happening, and what's Nintendo going to do to reverse it?

I should add that I was one of the first advocates of a Wii pricedrop when the sales first began slumping in the fall, and I was nearly laughed out of the thread by "wait for Super Mario Galaxy/Smash Bros/Mario & Sonic" crowd. If Wii Fit doesn't return the Wii to its previously record-breaking sell out numbers, I think Nintendo should look into it as a viable recourse. It's not shameful, the Wii has been on shelves for over a year.

Scotch

DefectiveReject said:
GAF gets Juniors...... Juniors cause mass hysteria over sales...... Juniors go bye-bye.

Cycle is restored.

If anyone in this thread should go bye-bye it's you.

Can't wait for MC numbers either.

Grecco

Sho_Nuff82 said:
So, everyone's under the assumption that there are millions of people who don't care about Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Mario Party who are just waiting on Wii Fit to buy a Wii right?

What if this doesn't happen?

And how long is this 'PS3 Easter' projected to last?

I don't think it's a safe assumption that Wii sales are just going to jump back to mid-year levels without any proven IPs for another 3 months (SSBB), while PS3 levels will drop back down to mediocre with GT Prologue coming soon.

If Nintendo is outsold by the PS3 for any significant amount of time over the holiday season, they will have seriously regretted not dropping the price in response to the PS3, offering bundles, or having a more focused game lineup.

Im pretty sure SSBB comes out in 2 months in Japan not 3.

Also its taken a price drop, new color and multiple million proven selleres in consecutive weeks for the PS3 to barely outsell the Wii. Yup doom.

Crusade

DefectiveReject said:

Cycle is restored.

I'm being perfectly civil here, you're getting up in arms because PS3 is doing well for once. Even so much as disputing the legitimacy of my posts by dismissing me as a Junior. I doubt I'll be the one going bye-bye, the way you're behaving

Busaiku said:
Yeah, what's with the huge PSP increase?
Pretty much everything looks to have increased. Getting to be that time of year.
farnham said:
-> so basically Mario Party is the definite Mario series
Other than 2D Mario and Mario Kart.
BishopLamont said:
10.Super Mario Galaxy - 37,000

Not a huge drop, but it doesn't look too good right now. It really needs a holiday boost.
Oh, it will get one. This actually seems to be its closest week to SMS yet; SMS's week 4 was 39,562.
farnham said:
70k in its first week is actually better then most of the Wii/PS3 thirdparty sales this gen
Maybe you meant that sentence taken this way, but it's actually better than most Wii/PS3 game lifetime totals (from what information we have).
cvxfreak said:
I wonder, should the PSP trend continue, if it'll outsell the Wii YTD.
That would still take a lot.
Media Create
Famitsu
It's got about a half million difference to make up.
Crusade said:
I know, but that doesn't mean there's not good money to be made on PSP. That's like saying the second tallest man in the world is short
PSP's software sales don't make it the second tallest man in Japan, but the fourth behind DS, PS2, and Wii.

Sirolf

DefectiveReject said:

Cycle is restored.

Well i remember you said earlier this year you would not troll the platform anymore since you've had it at this time..
I know you sold it but do you have any respect for your words or your competitor ?

f@luS

More than a member.
Laguna said:
2 of the biggest PS2 franchises (Dynasty Warriors and PES - both millionsellers) released on PS3 and a new model including a pricecut. And Sonyfans are surprised for a sales increase? You know that last week released PES2008 (its predecessors sold more than Metal Gear Solid 2 and MGS3).
But the game sux so....It didnt sold millions 1st week on PS2 , its safe to assume this one is doing so-so everywhere. I really didnt expected PS3 to have bigger sales than last week, good surprise.

kassatsu

Banned
Frillen said:
So Galaxy only went down 3k according to Famtisu? That's pretty good. Will hopefully get a nice holiday boost. Yeah?
6.SMG 43000(378000)

It was 6k, but that still isn't too bad.

mabuza

Banned
DefectiveReject said:

Cycle is restored.

'wait for media create', is this the new `wait for wiifit'? dw sales still dissapointing should be past 300k by now.

Frillen

kassatsu said:
6.SMG 43000(378000)

It was 6k, but that still isn't too bad.

Yeah, at least the drop isn't so big now. Should stay above 25k till the holidays arrives. And who knows what happens then. It could get a couple of 50k+ weeks which will make the total LTD pleasure reading.

Crusade

Frillen said:
So Galaxy only went down 3k according to Famtisu? That's pretty good. Will hopefully get a nice holiday boost. Yeah?
This is a nice spot to level out around if we're expecting long legs, hopefully it does. It damn well deserves to :D

Mario should become the new game to buy with your Wii, not Wii Sports

donny2112

gofreak said:
It'll be bizarro-world if PS3 outsells Wii in Japan for November,

With two weeks left by Media-Create, PS3 is ahead 95K to 71K. The closest month previous since both have been released was October with Wii ahead 111K to 66K.

test_account said:
It depends on which tracker suits your world view better ;)

Fixed.

Crusade said:
There's nothing to say MC is more accurate, why should I not follow these numbers?

Case in point.

I haven't seen such discussion of the merits of Media-Create vs. Famitsu for hardware since ioi was trying to justify his methods.

ksamedi said:
DQ4 should pass the million easily, how much did the PS remake do?

donny2112 said:
Past DQ remakes:
Code:
GBC Dragon Quest I&II  270K    75K   40K  ...  740K (20001231)
GBC Dragon Quest III   154K    59K   60K  ...  611K (20011230)
SFC Dragon Quest III   409K   136K   95K  ...  967K (19971228)
PS1 Dragon Quest IV    621K   143K   72K  ...  1.17 million (20021229)
PS2 Dragon Quest V    1049K   248K   97K  ...  1.61 million (20041226)

Kyoufu said:
Monster Hunter 2nd G, not so much, since its just an expansion. It'll sell well but not anything like the actual game released earlier this year.

It could end up pretty close to Monster Hunter Portable 2.

Code:
PS2 Monster Hunter    288,559 (20041226)
PS2 Monster Hunter G  232,239 (20051225)

Crusade said:
PSP IS the second biggest, most profitable platform in Japan. How can you argue otherwise?
D:

You don't like facts much, do you. It's the second biggest handheld platform, yes. However, it's also way below the PS2 and Wii YTD.

Using YTD Famitsu Top 30s through November 11th:
NDS - 20.5 million
WII - 6.2 million
PS2 - 6.0 million
PSP - 3.7 million
PS3 - 1.2 million
360 - 0.4 million

But, hey. It's doing better than the PS3 and 360, so that's something.

Crusade said:
This is false, Nintendo have used Enterbrain numbers very consistently in the past

Except on about every chart they show at conferences.

Crusade said:
At this point, I think PS3 fans just want a console that is selling healthily enough to justify 3rd parties keeping it's games exclusive (MGS4, Final Fantasy mainly)

GameCube was selling better. We already saw how that worked out for Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4.

Sheesh.

Laguna

Banned
f@luS said:
But the game sux so....It didnt sold millions 1st week on PS2 , its safe to assume this one is doing so-so everywhere. I really didnt expected PS3 to have bigger sales than last week, good surprise.

I said that both franchises were million-sellers on PS2 it doesn´t matter how many weeks these games needed to reach the million mark. The release of popular franchises (I´m talking about first installments, sometimes even further installments of one series) will always lead to higher demand -> higher sales for a new console (first 2-3 years). Logical, no?

proof?
Here you are
3 weeks ago - white PS3, Ratchet&Clank and Dynasty Warriors -> increase
2 weeks ago - nothing special -> decrease
last week - PES 2008 -> increase

praxis69

Banned
Crusade said:
I don't think any PS3 fans are setting that goal just yet. At this point, I think PS3 fans just want a console that is selling healthily enough to justify 3rd parties keeping it's games exclusive (MGS4, Final Fantasy mainly)

Exactly. Provided the trend continues, third parties will think twice before devoting their most valuable assets to nintendos machine,which is awesome for those who want a next gen experience wit their games. It also means that third parties will think hard before fouling up franchisesa and making them multi platform, which always comes at the expense of what could be achieved if they focused solely on Sony's technology.

I'm not trolling.
far from it. i'm trying to save some of your lives
as i see a lot of crow was eaten last week. so all i am saying is if you're gonna celebrate, wait one more day

donny2112

mabuza said:
dw sales still dissapointing should be past 300k by now.

Code:
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou     164K   30K    19K   ...   302K (20001231)
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 2   241K  122K    78K   ...   1.03 million (20021229)
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 3   723K  149K    73K   ...   1.18 million (20031228)
PS2 Shin Sangoku Musou 4   561K  128K    71K   ...   918K (20051225)

[b]PS3 Shin Sangoku Musou 5   176K   73K    31K   ...   ~281K (and growing)[/b]

donny2112 said:
Except on about every chart they show at conferences.

Quibbling over the MC vs Famitsu differences is completely avoiding the point, which was the entire purpose of Defective Reject deriding the numbers. MC will still likely show the PS3 above the Wii, and the same discussion will continue in this weeks new MC thread.

GameCube was selling better. We already saw how that worked out for Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4.

Sheesh.

The PS3 already has 3rd party games that have outsold RE4 GCN and are closing in on Tales of Symphonia. It's a pretty safe bet RE5 will slaughter RE4's initial release.

Oh, nevermind, he was talking about MGS4 and FFXIII. Carry on.

praxis69 said:
Exactly. Provided the trend continues, third parties will think twice before devoting their most valuable assets to nintendos machine,which is awesome for those who want a next gen experience wit their games. It also means that third parties will think hard before fouling up franchisesa and making them multi platform, which always comes at the expense of what could be achieved if they focused solely on Sony's technology.

You had it for brief moment, then went completely over the deep end.

tanod

when is my burrito
Narcosis said:
It seems the Slim version of PSP has seen quite a boost to the platform in recent weeks. Apparently re-releasing your hardware in a smaller size equates directly to more sales in Japan?

If anybody has paid any attention to what Nintendo has done in the handheld market over the last ~20 years, refreshes and new colors sell more systems. Now, Sony just needs to realize that that works outside of Japan. Give me some new PSP colors dangit. :(

enishi

One thing to be noticed from Sinobi, he mentioned that quite a lot of people bought M&S Olympics together with Wii in the weekend. So, it could be the booster application? :lol

donny2112

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Quibbling over the MC vs Famitsu differences is completely avoiding the point,

Which is why I'm not. I was correcting his statement about Nintendo using Enterbrain numbers "very consistently" in the past.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
The PS3 already has 3rd party games that have outsold RE4 GCN and are closing in on Tales of Symphonia. It's a pretty safe bet RE5 will slaughter RE4's initial release.

No doubt. However trying to say that the current level of PS3 hardware sales will be enough to hold big-budget exclusives is more than a little bit of jumping the gun, in my opinion.

Defuser

donny2112 said:
We already saw how that worked out for Tales of Symphonia and Resident Evil 4.

Sheesh.
If you want involve a company by it's console exclusives,Capcom is a very bad example to use.

Crusade

donny2112 said:
D:

You don't like facts much, do you. It's the second biggest handheld platform, yes. However, it's also way below the PS2 and Wii YTD.

Using YTD Famitsu Top 30s through November 11th:
NDS - 20.5 million
WII - 6.2 million
PS2 - 6.0 million
PSP - 3.7 million
PS3 - 1.2 million
360 - 0.4 million

But, hey. It's doing better than the PS3 and 360, so that's something.

LTD tells a different story entirely, and PSP has been selling well since it's "relaunch", if you will. And kept it up. Not all year, however.

donny2112 said:

Sheesh.
I'm well aware of that, which is why I'm happy sales are improving. Reading is fundamental

Lightning

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
there not used by Sony nor Nintendo either for sales.

Media Create are...........................!

Junior member guy can take that bit of advice too
Dude, Famitsu numbers are just as accepted as Media Create numbers. Hencing why the YTD for both trackers are pretty much the same. Media Create could have been fixing their data last week for all we know, it wouldn't be the first time they've done it.

Quibbling over the MC vs Famitsu differences is completely avoiding the point, which was the entire purpose of Defective Reject deriding the numbers. MC will still likely show the PS3 above the Wii, and the same discussion will continue in this weeks new MC thread.
i derided no numbers, just highlighted the difference last week.
I have done nothing more than that.

And MC is the one they ALL source on their sales charts.... even Sony.

Parl

praxis69 said:

I think we should calm down a minute. PS3 is not going to have a price drop/new colour or a Dynasty Warriors (big front-loaded game) or a Winning Eleven (big million seller) every week. Let's see how it does after the holidays.

donny2112

Crusade said:
LTD tells a different story entirely,

Yeah. It tells a story of almost 3 years of PSP being released versus 1 year of Wii being released.

PSP by Famitsu Top 30s through end of November 2005: 2.3 million
WII by Famitsu Top 30s through November 11, 2007: 7.8 million

Crusade said:
and PSP has been selling well since it's "relaunch", if you will.

Not.the.software.

Crusade said:
I'm well aware of that, which is why I'm happy sales are improving.

So maybe if they get up to GameCube levels, third-parties will be ecstatic?

Crusade said:
Reading is fundamental

Yes, it is. Yes, it is.

*Guaraná

Banned
This week Famitsu numbers:

1. Dragon Quest IV (DS) - 602,000
2. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS2) - 305,000
3. Pro Evolution Soccer 2008 (PS3) - 145,000
4. Mario Party DS (DS) - 97,000(454,000)
5. Mega Man Star Force 2 (DS) - 84,000
6. Final Fantasy XI Altana (PS2) - 83,000
7. Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games (Wii) - 67,000
8. Dinosaur King - 7 Pieces (DS) - 53,000
9. ぱちんこ必殺仕事人III パチってちょんまげ達人13 (PS2) - 42,000
10.Super Mario Galaxy (Wii) - 37,000

other new games
11.ワンタメ ミュージックチャンネル どこでもスタイル (DS) 34,000
18.FFXI360 13000
20.WE360 12000
外.AIR (PSP) 6900
外.Dokapon Kingdom (PS2) 6800
外.四八 6500
外.Final Fantasy XI: The Vana'diel Collection (PS2) 4600
外.Medal of Honor: Airborne (360) 3500
外.Final Fantasy XI: The Vana'diel Collection (360) 3200
外.Gegege no Kitarou (Wii) 2000
外.Kouenji Joshi Soccer 2: Koi wa Nebagiba Kouenji (DS) 1600

DSL 116,000
PSP 89,000
PS2 15,000
PS3 58,000
Wii 47,000
360 5,800

Crusade said:
LTD tells a different story entirely, and PSP has been selling well since it's "relaunch", if you will. And kept it up. Not all year, however.
No it hasn't. Using Famitsu's software pie that shows how software sales for the week were allocated among systems, here are PS2, DS, PSP, and Wii since the week before Crisis Core.

Code:
 PS2     DS    PSP    Wii
33.6   45.9    4.3   10.2
 8.7   53.6   30.7    4.3
12.5   47.8   26.2   10.2
16.7   43.2   19.8    9.5
29.6   38.1   18.0   10.1
22.8   47.2   13.0    9.1
21.1   48.8   12.2    9.2
22.8   52.9    6.9   10.6
13.9   36.9    5.3   31.6
 9.3   47.2    6.2   13.3
PSP bumped up to being the second-place software system for three weeks, became third for three weeks, and then fourth for three weeks.

EDIT: Correction; it was fifth that list week. I didn't list PS3, which had 18.7% that week.

justjohn

JoshuaJSlone said:
No it hasn't. Using Famitsu's software pie that shows how software sales for the week were allocated among systems, here are PS2, DS, PSP, and Wii since the week before Crisis Core.

Code:
 PS2     DS    PSP    Wii
33.6   45.9    4.3   10.2
 8.7   53.6   30.7    4.3
12.5   47.8   26.2   10.2
16.7   43.2   19.8    9.5
29.6   38.1   18.0   10.1
22.8   47.2   13.0    9.1
21.1   48.8   12.2    9.2
22.8   52.9    6.9   10.6
13.9   36.9    5.3   31.6
 9.3   47.2    6.2   13.3
PSP bumped up to being the second-place software system for three weeks, became third for three weeks, and then fourth for three weeks.
i think we're talking about hardware sales here not software

Parl

I think this guy is arguing that if the "right software" is put on PSP, the software will sell well. Yuh know, the kind of software that will sell well on any system, like GameCube, Saturn, PS3. And that 3rd parties will begin to put more effort PSP software now because it's the 4th largest software market in Japan (5th or 6th worldwide), just like they didn't with console with comparable sized software markets: GC, Saturn, etc, which is a ridiculous idea.

justjohn said:
i think we're talking about hardware sales here not software
No, this train of discussion started with
Crusade said:
PSP IS the second biggest, most profitable platform in Japan. How can you argue otherwise?

The sales potential doesn't scratch DS, but there is still easy money to be made with good software.

Crusade

Parl said:
I think we should calm down a minute. PS3 is not going to have a price drop/new colour or a Dynasty Warriors (big front-loaded game) or a Winning Eleven (big million seller) every week. Let's see how it does after the holidays.
2008 is also where Sony's big guns lie IMO. I think the key is to keep it consistent between big releases. We've also seen a clear preference to PS3 for multiplats, so PS3 will be the one benefitting off of DMC4 and the like

donny2112 said:
Yeah. It tells a story of almost 3 years of PSP being released versus 1 year of Wii being released.

PSP by Famitsu Top 30s through end of November 2005: 2.3 million
WII by Famitsu Top 30s throught November 11, 2007: 7.8 million

And what is the distribution of 3rd party versus Nintendo here (or even just Wii Sports/Play), hmm? Context is also fundamental. You have the numbers, perhaps you can work it out?

donny2112 said:
Not.the.software.

I'm not going to argue, but besides Crisis Core which did superbly, the actual releases have been slim. Which brings me back to my original point, that this resurgence in software may be taken notice by 3rd party developers. It may not, but it certainly makes PSP look a lot more viable to the community

donny2112 said:
So maybe if they get up to GameCube levels, third-parties will be ecstatic?
Baby-steps, perhaps.:D But if it can keep ahead or on terms with Wii, that's just fine for starters. Of course numbers like this should only be considered a starting point for pushing PS3 into a healthy status.

You seem to be awfully bitter about the possibility of PS3 having a brighter future, don't you?:)

donny2112

Parl said:
I think this guy is arguing that if the "right software" is put on PSP, the software will sell well. Yuh know, the kind of software that will sell well on any system, like GameCube, Saturn, PS3. And that 3rd parties will begin to put more effort PSP software now because it's the 4th largest software market in Japan (5th or 6th worldwide), just like they didn't with console with comparable sized software markets: GC, Saturn, etc, which is a ridiculous idea.

:lol

Crusade

JoshuaJSlone said:
No, this train of discussion started with
Actually, I was talking about hardware. PSP is the second biggest platform in Japan, despite the fact that there is a fundamental lack of software though that could sell well, and could see PSP possibly doing even better. DS took that pie already, but there's still potential on PSP and it's reinvigorated hardware sales may make 3rd parties look twice

Doogdogg

Oh just WTF with Galaxy numbers? MC had Sunshine debuting at 400k something. Jesus christ did gravity reverse in the world or something?

Parl

Crusade said:
2008 is also where Sony's big guns lie IMO. I think the key is to keep it consistent between big releases. We've also seen a clear preference to PS3 for multiplats, so PS3 will be the one benefitting off of DMC4 and the like
In terms of the Japanese market games like Dynasty Warriors are more important than MGS4.

And what is the distribution of 3rd party versus Nintendo here (or even just Wii Sports/Play), hmm? Context is also fundamental. You have the numbers, perhaps you can work it out?
With context being fundamental, IMHO, the good third party games that have been promoted well have done well. On PS3, much bigger and higher budgeted games have sold less than their predecessors. PSP software sales are also low. Same applies to all successful consoles - Wii, PS2, etc. Most games that suck do crap.

Defuser

Crusade said:
If they can keep it consistent. I've check out what's in the pipeline for 2008 and so far only 10 or more good games which I doubt it's able to help the ps3 consistently for the whole year unless JP devs comes out and announced more of their games.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Crusade said:

What truly big guns does Sony have in 08?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
There was a reason we don't take famitsu numbers, it was decided a long time ago, and I remember there being a good reason for it. I can't remember the reason though.

Top Bottom