• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 11 - 17 Sept

Axord said:
I'm pretty sure Iwata would think you were crazy if you suggested such a plan to him. There's no benefit.

1. Retailers wouldn't be impressed, because they'll know they got shorted on DS shipment numbers.

2. Nintendo cares about making money, not silly PR stunts that the 0.001% of their customer base that was even paying attention would dismiss because it was a supply fluke, not a trend.

3. PS3 sales being obliterated by the sales of two Nintendo systems each by themselves makes a much better headline, even if it's based on Sony's suppy problems.

4. Slowing DS sales is highly unlikely to transfer demand to the Wii.
5. Nintendo wouldn't need to lower DS shipments. Considering how they sell out now, any sort of holiday rush will just exacerbate the DS supply situation.

PantherLotus said:
Wait. Sony says that the PSP is selling more than the Wii. They wouldn't lie, would they?
Well, Gizmondo has outsold Wii thus far.

Jiggy

cvxfreak said:
Actually, Pokemon games have traditionally met their demand due to previous expectations. I expect no different from D/P, although we may see an exception for them.
Well... yeah. True enough, they usually have great legs instead of insta-sales before a massive dropoff.
I still can't wait for the September 25-October 1st Media Create thread, though.

donny2112

PantherLotus said:
Wait. Sony says that the PSP is selling more than the NDS. They wouldn't lie, would they?

Fixed.

They were referring to ...

1) U.S. only
2) Just since PSP's launch (thus excluding the launch sales of the NDS)

and they are correct
though obviously stretching to find a way to say they are selling "more" than the NDS ;)

Jiggy37 said:
I still can't wait for the September 25-October 1st Media Create thread, though.

We should get some information Thursday or Friday of this week about lines/first day sales.

osyrus said:
holy crap pokeman's revenge is out in 3 days..

24703130646.jpg

ioi

Banned
Pokemon Gold / Silver GB 1,814,500
Pokemon Yellow GB 1,353,250
Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire GBA 1,273,250
Pokemon Fire Red / Leaf Green GBA 1,092,750

Closer to G/S or R/S?

Or more than either?

donny2112

ioi said:
1.6m week 1...

NSMB Week 1: 899,518

I think each version could do that, so 1.8 million combined. :p

The real gamble as far as predictions go is how many systems will be sold.

Have Nintendo been stockpiling? Has the success of the DS Lite in the rest of the world drained needed supplies from Japan? The DS sold 164K the week of FFIII and 229K with Black DS Lite the next week.

If you guess < 100K, you could be right.
If you guess 1 million, you could be right.

:lol

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
my prediction:

every single copy of pokemon & every single DSL unit that Nintendo ships on launch week

ioi

Banned
It's going to be an interesting one.

Comparing directly to G/S and R/S isn't a good idea since both were released in the last week of Nov and had the run up to xmas to keep sales high:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Pokemon+Ruby+%2F+Sapphire&name2=Pokemon+Gold+%2F+Silver

On the other hand, I don't think we'll see the drop-off we had with Pokemon Yellow:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Pokemon+Yellow&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

I'd suggest somewhere between the two:

Week 1: 1.8m
Week 2: 0.5m
Week 3: 0.4m
Week 4: 0.3m

Etc and a long, drawn out descent towards Dec where the game will boost back up again.

5.5m by the end of the year.

ioi said:
It's going to be an interesting one.

Comparing directly to G/S and R/S isn't a good idea since both were released in the last week of Nov and had the run up to xmas to keep sales high:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Pokemon+Ruby+%2F+Sapphire&name2=Pokemon+Gold+%2F+Silver

On the other hand, I don't think we'll see the drop-off we had with Pokemon Yellow:

http://www.vgcharts.org/japcomp.php?name1=Pokemon+Yellow&name2=Pokemon+Fire+Red+%2F+Leaf+Green

I'd suggest somewhere between the two:

Week 1: 1.8m
Week 2: 0.5m
Week 3: 0.4m
Week 4: 0.3m

Etc and a long, drawn out descent towards Dec where the game will boost back up again.

5.5m by the end of the year.

ioi, please respond to my PM...
...and why don't we wait until we know how many pokermans will be shipped?

Parl

Sony: "T3h PSP has brought gaming out of the ghetto. Outsold for 17 months!!"

Iwata-san: "My Pokemans will kick your.. you know what, wherever you are in the world. Let me show you them!"

The Hermit

chadums90 said:
Can someone please explain "My Pokemans: Let me show you them" to me?

I think it's funny but I still don't get it...

Ditto... I was just going to wikipedia...that´s right ,frigging wikipedia!!

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Twilight Princess said:
HEY GUYS! YOU KNOW! SHARKS UPPER JAW'S ACTUALLY NOT CONNECTED/FUSED TO ITS SKULL!!!!SO IT CAN PUSH ITS JAW FORWARD! ISNT THAT AMAZING!

How dare you insult my picture.

Top Bottom