• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/10 - 12/16 2007

gkryhewy

BishopLamont said:
The PS3 has been about 50k for the past few weeks, this is the time when it's suppose to increase not remain the same. Why would it drop after weeks of doing 50k, especially in the midst of the holidays?

Its new 50k "baseline" has been due to a series of weekly boosts (in the form of a new color/price drop, residual new hardware/price drop effects the following week, and the releases of Musou (I think?), GT5P, I think one or two additional notable games, and now the holiday boost. Its true new "baseline" will not be established until after the new year.

wsippel

Banned
AniHawk said:
Activision Blizzard
EA buys Bioware
Infogrames rapidly dying
Sega Sammy

And we're just two years into this generation. Fun!
Midway going the way of the Dodo might be next...

Eteric Rice

norinrad21 said:
Star Oceans popularity has decreased over the years. Till the End of time was pretty shitty IMO.

Hope this one does well

Eh, its not that bad. Pretty much all RPG series aside from DQ have declined in the last few years.

gkrykewy said:
Its new 50k "baseline" has been due to a series of weekly boosts (in the form of a new color/price drop, residual new hardware/price drop effects the following week, and the releases of Musou (I think?), GT5P, I think one or two additional notable games, and now the holiday boost. Its true new "baseline" will not be established until after the new year.
Ah I forgot Sony actually tried these past few weeks. This weeks numbers actually make sense now.

Pureauthor said:
Pokemon D/P has beaten R/S according to this post.

I had a quick look through that thread, someone actually said "the most eatingest pacman". :lol

enishi said:
Data from Joshua, all Famitsu track record "Taiko Drum"
Nice reverse trend for the DS version. After SE, Bandai-Namco seems to be the biggest supporters of the DS and the Wii and it's paying off well.

enishi

Data from Joshua, all Famitsu track record

PS2
----------------
Taiko no Tatsujin 722,797
Taiko no Tatsujin 3 578,993
Taiko no Tatsujin 4 156,164
Taiko no Tatsujin 5 194,840
Taiko no Tatsujin 6 98,106
Taiko no Tatsujin 7 41,530

PSP
----------------
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 59,925
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 2 58,782

NDS
----------------
Taiko no Tatsujin DS 261,000 (approximate)

Rock_Man

2.Mario Party DS 308000(1070000)
Two more weeks like that and it's at 1.7 million! Maybe it will suffer from supply constraints though, otherwise we'll seeing 2 million in 2008. :O

4.SMG 109000(680000)
Not surprising.

7.Wii Play 105000(1919000)
I see no reason why this one won't go on and sell millions in the next few years.

Rock_Man said:
7.Wii Play 105000(1919000)
I see no reason why this one won't go on and sell millions in the next few years.
Wii Sports aswell, it seems to be unaffected by Wii Fit. Nintendo was smart on concentraing on more "Wii line" games, as it seems none of them need a successor.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Taiko DS is fun but lacks the oomph from normal Taiko games, understandably since it's on the DS. But pumping through the Mario Bros. tune using drum beats is always a blast. I also like the fact that they didn't force you to use the stylus' exclusively, that you could also rely upon the control pad and buttons if you were on the train or something and needed precision to hit those tap beats.

Also very happy about Layton consistently selling. Level 5 took aim and did a head shot with this series.

The next few weeks will really determine if my thinking of Mario Galaxy having long legs will ring true - I think it'll sell 2m+ LTD in Japan.

speedpop

PetriP-TNT said:
WiiFit most likely has now sold more than SMG in Japan. Can't wait for this weeks salenumbers

Goodbye gaming ;_;
Go blow on your tissues elsewhere - Mario Galaxy is selling. Nintendo will still inevitably pump out another Mario platformer, so low sales don't have an effect as much as naysayers think it does.

polluar

speedpop said:
The next few weeks will really determine if my thinking of Mario Galaxy having long legs will ring true - I think it'll sell 2m+ LTD in Japan.

2 m+, I don't think it will be possible.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
norinrad21 said:
Star Oceans popularity has decreased over the years. Till the End of time was pretty shitty IMO.

Hope this one does well
but... Star Ocean 3 is tri-Ace best selling game :eek:

KINGMOKU

otake said:
the fact that third-party games don't sell on wii may be it....
I am so tired of reading this. It's borderline bannable becuase it's nonsense, and it's used to incite people.

If you could, I want a list of massive third-party titles that have bombed on the Wii.

I know Bioshock, masseffect, tekken5, lost planet, lost odyssey, orange box,assasins creed, E.T.C. all bombed on the Wii, so after those titles.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Wow, insane numbers.

Great Wii hardware.

Pretty disappointing PS3 hardware IMO

Galaxy looks pretty likely to pass a million now. Let me eat crow as I doubted its ability to even get close to Sunshine after the first two weeks.

It definitely looks like Wii has a Big 5 for software purposes and the rest is getting left by the wayside. Good news for Nintendo, bad news for everyone else (except SEGA!). Of course, at least something is selling which is more than we can say for its 2 competitors.

speedpop

polluar said:
It's already reaching towards 1m and consistently selling every week. I haven't kept track of it like some others might have, but I believe it has never dropped out of the top 20 since it was released either.

Of course it's been no top 10 exclusive club like others in the past, but just consider the userbase of the Wii and Nintendo's often-scoffed-at "word of mouth" approach. Heck people were writing it off 2 weeks after it was released merely because it wasn't chucking another 1st party developed DS game. The DS since Nintendogs has caused us to be spoilt in terms of numbers with hardware and software.

I think 2m is a low ball to be hitting at personally but I like to play on the safe side.

apujanata

polluar said:

I thought the same with MK:DS crossing 2 Million LTD in Japan, and I was proven very wrong. So right now, I always keep an open mind on any Nintendo S/W or H/W, especially if it has the name "Mario" in the title (like Mario Party 8, Mario Party DS, Mario & Sonic Wii for US & Europe, since it is not valid yet for Japan market).

Eteric Rice

schuelma said:
Wow, insane numbers.

Great Wii hardware.

Pretty disappointing PS3 hardware IMO

Galaxy looks pretty likely to pass a million now. Let me eat crow as I doubted its ability to even get close to Sunshine after the first two weeks.

It definitely looks like Wii has a Big 5 for software purposes and the rest is getting left by the wayside. Good news for Nintendo, bad news for everyone else (except SEGA!). Of course, at least something is selling which is more than we can say for its 2 competitors.

From what I've seen (at least in the states), most third party titles on the Wii don't sell instantly, but usually over time. I can only assume it's because Wii owners don't know whats out on the system until they actually look in the isles.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Eteric Rice said:
From what I've seen (at least in the states), most third party titles on the Wii don't sell instantly, but usually over time. I can only assume it's because Wii owners don't know whats out on the system until they actually look in the isles.

300px-Isles_of_Shoals_Map.png

enishi said:
Data from Joshua, all Famitsu track record

PS2
----------------
Taiko no Tatsujin 722,797
Taiko no Tatsujin 3 578,993
Taiko no Tatsujin 4 156,164
Taiko no Tatsujin 5 194,840
Taiko no Tatsujin 6 98,106
Taiko no Tatsujin 7 41,530

PSP
----------------
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 59,925
Taiko no Tatsujin Portable 2 58,782

NDS
----------------
Taiko no Tatsujin DS 261,000 (approximate)
Oh cool, I guess that was a response to my post!? Thanks anyway. And it illustrates well how good the DS version sold (and is selling). Can't compete with the shining days of the first two PS2 games, but thats probably too much to ask from this game.

Eteric Rice

Agent Icebeezy said:
Going by those Famitsu numbers, Nintendo is just fucking them raw.

Yeah, but it's not like third parties are trying anything big name on the Wii. If they expect their small fry stuff to go up against Wii Fit or Galaxy, they're crazy.

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:
Yeah, but it's not like third parties are trying anything big name on the Wii. If they expect their small fry stuff to go up against Wii Fit or Galaxy, they're crazy.

NiGHTS and Chocobo to a lesser extent should have done better. No excuses. I mean yay for Umbrella Chronicles and all, but Wii needs more 3rd party hits.

Minsc

Gold Member
29.Animal Crossing 24000(4495000)

This is DS right? I doubt a gamecube title could still be selling, although Melee would probably prove me wrong, in some sense, that would be pretty funny to see actually chart. There probably weren't even that many gamecubes sold in Japan come to think of it.

Still, how did the two compare? At 4.5M in just Japan, does that put it at over 10M worldwide?

speedpop said:
Go blow on your tissues elsewhere - Mario Galaxy is selling. Nintendo will still inevitably pump out another Mario platformer, so low sales don't have an effect as much as naysayers think it does.

I agree, and would go so far as to say I think it's unlikely Nintendo will even put out a sequel to Wii Sports or Wii Fit, while Mario seems inevitable. Actually didn't they respond to such a question at one point and publicly say they had no interest in releasing a Wii Sports 2 and would rather pursue different things?

Eteric Rice said:

I think it has more to do with people being spoiled by Nintendo games which makes them hesitant to try out other games. They are easy to grasp the difference between Nintendo games and 3rd party games :D

I'm getting a bit carried away:lol

ccbfan

Anyone know the LTD of DQ:J

I wanna know if there's any chance MHP2 (If it hasn't already become) can become the best selling current gen 3rd party game before DQIX blows everything out of the water.

Eteric Rice

schuelma said:
NiGHTS and Chocobo to a lesser extent should have done better. No excuses. I mean yay for Umbrella Chronicles and all, but Wii needs more 3rd party hits.

How is Chocobo's Dungeon doing, anyway?

EDarkness

Eteric Rice said:
How is Chocobo's Dungeon doing, anyway?

Considering it's virtually all sold out in my area, I would assume it's not doing too bad. Maybe not record breaking, but I would guess not as bad as some people think. For a game with no real advertising and no hype, any sales they get they should be happy with. Oh, and I do know that my main hub for gaming gear (Shiita) is on their second shipment and was sold out most of last week. I checked a couple days ago and they had copies. Today, they're all sold out again. Situation may be different in other areas, but that's how it is in mine.

schuelma

Eteric Rice said:
Can I get some numbers?

44K last week, didn't chart this week. Maybe it will inch its way across 100K when all is said and finished. Not a bomb on the level of NiGHTS or We Love Golf, but it certainly has to be seen as a disappointment.

schuelma

EDarkness said:
Considering it's virtually all sold out in my area, I would assume it's not doing too bad. Maybe not record breaking, but I would guess not as bad as some people think. For a game with no real advertising and no hype, any sales they get they should be happy with. Oh, and I do know that my main hub for gaming gear (Shiita) is on their second shipment and was sold out most of last week. I checked a couple days ago and they had copies. Today, they're all sold out again. Situation may be different in other areas, but that's how it is in mine.

Interesting. I think I read that the initial shipment was 100K, so it seems like it shouldn't be sold out yet.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
BishopLamont said:
Well somethings stopping third parties, I'm not sure what it is, but I'm sure they love money and there's alot of potential money to be made on the Wii.
I think one additional factor [besides wait & see and weak 3rd party sales on Wii] might be that third parties just don't announce their line-up for the next year during the christmas rush. Instead they focus on their current line-up. So there might be quite some nice games on their way which are just not announced yet.

Console :
Wii : about 264k
DSL : about 319k
PS3 : about 51k
PS2 : about 24k
PSP : about 162k
360 : about 8.1k
Interesting. Wii and DS way up, everything else pretty flat. Continuing the various historical holiday comparisons that have frequently come up in the last few months...

Wii had a bigger week than any of PS2's equivalent weeks in its big years. This was also enough to bring the cumulative late-October to present total slightly above PS2's 2001.

PS3 isn't bumping like GCN, but due to the earlier bump remains ahead of all GCN holidays but 2001 from late October to present.

Similar situation with PSP. It didn't bump like a GBA, but due to the previous few weeks being quite strong, cumulatively late October-present it's between GBA's two biggest years still.

Lobster said:
No numbers for Chocobo Wii :(
I've previously compared its first week to DQ Rocket Slime. Rocket Slime's second week was 32K; if Chocobo is similar there, too, I wouldn't be surprised to see it turn up in the 23/24/27 spot.

More later, but I'm off now.

I doubt any 3rd party Wii title made it to top30 this week, but there are a few positions (16, 23, 24, 27) without names yet. I doubt Chocobo is in there, because 27 has to be over 24k.

Anyway, another 3rd party title bombed (Pawapro 14 Final) so its not like you have to look at other week titles.

If you do its even worse, but hey, I'm sure a few people here will spin this into:

- they don't sell because they were undershipped
- they don't sell because they are crappy
- PSP doesn't sell games
- they don't sell because they sell very little every week but they are doing good
- they don't sell because they are not epic enough

Oh, and of course, when we get a yearly list, they will say, look, it did awesome, we didn't see this title cross 10k and now its at 40k!!!! Because, by then, I'm sure they won't remember first shipment numbers.

NeonZ

This gen's strategy of releasing spin-offs and remakes in a console different from the one receiving the main titles just seems dumb.

The whole point of spin offs is trying to sell by the brand name, but that is mostly lost if the main games (and thus, the fanbase) aren't in that console. I really think that something like Soul Calibur Legends, in spite of its mediocrity, could have sold more if released on the PS3 some months after Soul Calibur IV.

schuelma

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
I doubt any 3rd party Wii title made it to top30 this week, but there are a few positions (16, 23, 24, 27) without names yet. I doubt Chocobo is in there, because 27 has to be over 24k.

Anyway, another 3rd party title bombed (Pawapro 14 Final) so its not like you have to look at other week titles.

If you do its even worse, but hey, I'm sure a few people here will spin this into:

- they don't sell because they were undershipped
- they don't sell because they are crappy
- PSP doesn't sell games
- they don't sell because they sell very little every week but they are doing good
- they don't sell because they are not epic enough

Oh, and of course, when we get a yearly list, they will say, look, it did awesome, we didn't see this title cross 10k and now its at 40k!!!! Because, by then, I'm sure they won't remember first shipment numbers.

All true of course. But, as I said in another post..at least some Wii software is selling..unlike everything else besides the DS.

nib95

Banned
gkrykewy said:

You could say the same about Wii, Wiifit, Super Mario galaxy etc.

You certainly won't gouge PS3's "baseline" after the new year. January/February are the slowest periods of sales for any console in the year. So going by those months to find a "baseline" sales average is just stupid.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Just think about how long it took the DS to get quality third party titles. The Wii basically caught all publishers with their pants down again, so I really don't expect to see the output really change until the end of '08 at the earliest.

Top Bottom