• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/29 - 01/04

Grimmy

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
Good point, and probably true that more along those lines will come. The danger is that there then might be too many that will compete with each other, and not reach the same heights. Like companies trying to jump on the DS brain training bandwagon a year late, or trying to make their Wii minigame collection stand out.

I completely agree. I think in 09 there will be more titles with 300,000+ sales on the PSP, but very few titles that break a million (maybe 1 or 2 - assuming some of the very big titles do well).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
FFIV performed just fine given the circumstances that some added content and VA werent gonna overcome. Like having already been remade 3 times. Or that FFIII hadnt been remade in 15 years. Or that III had no competition while IV launched after RPGs had already started to flood the system. Or that it launched in the same year as a million other FF games, and was likely hurt by franchise fatigue.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
lol @ giving the Mana series a resurgence. Thats a hoot after all the recent Mana games were huge fuck ups. Heck doesnt the series creator hate SoM and SD3? Its like he forget how to make a decent game

Grimmy said:
I completely agree. I think in 09 there will be more titles with 300,000+ sales on the PSP, but very few titles that break a million (maybe 1 or 2 - assuming some of the very big titles do well).
1 or 2? Am I missing something? There's nothing on PSP radar that big, not to mention that +1m (or even +800k) is still just Monster Hunter territory and there's no MH for PSP in 2009. Agito isn't 2009 and no series that sometimes do a million are in sight for a major PSP release, like Musou, Winning Eleven, Minna no Golf or Gran Turismo.

Hell, look at 2008, 7 games over a million, 5 are Nintendo, 1 is Monster Hunter and the other 1 is Dragon Quest.

radcliff

HK-47 said:
lol @ giving the Mana series a resurgence. Thats a hoot after all the recent Mana games were huge fuck ups. Heck doesnt the series creator hate SoM and SD3? Its like he forget how to make a decent game

Yeah, but he (Koichi Ishii) left S-E after the release of Heroes of Mana to form Grezzo Games, the developer of Line Attack Heroes for Wii.

Eteric Rice

I think they should just let Mana remain dead for a few years, then revive it in it's full glory with a good team.

Right now the stink of the recent entries is still to strong.

Grimmy

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
1 or 2? Am I missing something? There's nothing on PSP radar that big, not to mention that +1m (or even +800k) is still just Monster Hunter territory and there's no MH for PSP in 2009. Agito isn't 2009 and no series that sometimes do a million are in sight for a major PSP release, like Musou, Winning Eleven, Minna no Golf or Gran Turismo.

Hell, look at 2008, 7 games over a million, 5 are Nintendo, 1 is Monster Hunter and the other 1 is Dragon Quest.

I wouldn't count out a new MH in '09 for the PSP. But otherwise you're right. That's why I said 1 or 2 (bearing a surprise hit).

jeremy1456

Grimmy said:
I wouldn't count out a new MH in '09 for the PSP. But otherwise you're right. That's why I said 1 or 2 (bearing a surprise hit).

I think they've alread re-released every single Monster Hunter game on the PSP, unless you know something we don't.

If you're hinting that Capcom would port III to the PSP before it's out on Wii then you're crazy.

Spiegel

If SCEJ weren't run by a bunch of morons they would have Gran Turismo Portable in 2009 and they would also get Capcom to release Monster Hunter Portable 3 this year.

Hey, a man can dream

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
HK-47 said:

Wait, what? I mean... what? Is this real?

I mean, hate not only the two best games in the series but some of the best RPGs ever created?

HK-47 said:
Both. I assume you can read. Frankly, at least TP had some great dungeons toward the end. It has that over Okami for certain.

Also off topic we be getting
I really need to play Okami sometime.

I miss your HK-47 avy. And the use of meatbag has declined as of late.

Monkey doesn't approve. Never forget your heritage, and your ties to Revan young one.

perfectchaos007 said:
2008 looks like the year of the PS3. You'll see.

RonPaul.jpg

I said Wow.Ron Paul is unique and wise.He is is deeply read in Austrian economics and understands how Fed monetary inflation creates a boom-bust cycle by distorting prices.Ron Paul has made a habit of objecting to things that no one else objects to...he predicted the collapse of the housing bubble caused by Greenspan policies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6rQ0U01Yc (Congressman Ron Paul Schools Bernanke)

I bet he'd have predicted the collapse of the Wii bubble.

Code:
Media Create ´07

Week 43 27,502

Week 44 37,617

Week 45 34,546

Week 46 36,230

Week 47 54,362

Week 48 74,764

Week 49 115,057

Week 50 170,558 

Week 51 232,907

Week 52 152,209

Total 935,752

Code:
Media Create ´08

Week 43 24,292

Week 44 23,123

Week 45 24,726

Week 46 26,787

Week 47 35,298

Week 48 49,848

Week 49 56,702

Week 50 91,641 

Week 51 131,054

Week 52 134,958

Total 598,429 (-36%)

Media Create ´08

Week 1 207,797

Media Create´09

Week 1 119,965 (-42,3%)

HK-47 said:
FFIV performed just fine given the circumstances that some added content and VA werent gonna overcome. Like having already been remade 3 times. Or that FFIII hadnt been remade in 15 years. Or that III had no competition while IV launched after RPGs had already started to flood the system. Or that it launched in the same year as a million other FF games, and was likely hurt by franchise fatigue.

Not to mention the game could already be played on the system thanks to the GBA slot. Yeah, V and VI would face this as well (although not with new owners who have a DSi), but by the time they (hypothetically) release, it will also have been a lot longer since their GBA ports.

Final Fantasy IV came out exactly 2 years after the GBA game, on the other hand. So that's 600,000 sales of a game that's basically an upgraded version of a game that just came out not too long ago. How many series outside of Pokemon have ever pulled that off?

Parmenides said:
RonPaul.jpg

I said Wow.Ron Paul is unique and wise.He is is deeply read in Austrian economics and understands how Fed monetary inflation creates a boom-bust cycle by distorting prices.Ron Paul has made a habit of objecting to things that no one else objects to...he predicted the collapse of the housing bubble caused by Greenspan policies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv6rQ0U01Yc (Congressman Ron Paul Schools Bernanke)

I bet he'd have predicted the collapse of the Wii bubble.

Code:
Media Create ´07

Week 43 27,502

Week 44 37,617

Week 45 34,546

Week 46 36,230

Week 47 54,362

Week 48 74,764

Week 49 115,057

Week 50 170,558 

Week 51 232,907

Week 52 152,209

Total 935,752

Code:
Media Create ´08

Week 43 24,292

Week 44 23,123

Week 45 24,726

Week 46 26,787

Week 47 35,298

Week 48 49,848

Week 49 56,702

Week 50 91,641 

Week 51 131,054

Week 52 134,958

Total 598,429 (-36%)

Media Create ´08

Week 1 207,797

Media Create´09

Week 1 119,965 (-42,3%)
wat

cvxfreak

2007 Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy I Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Fuketsu no Grimoire
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PS2)
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PC)
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PS3)
Final Fantasy IV

1 FF game per month on average, and I feel like I'm missing something too. The latter half of 2006 had FFIII, FFVa and FFVIa too.

TJ Spyke

cvxfreak said:
2007 Final Fantasy games:

Final Fantasy I Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy Tactics: Shishi Sensou
Final Fantasy II Anniversary Edition
Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Ring of Fates
Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy Tactics A2 Fuketsu no Grimoire
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PS2)
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PC)
Final Fantasy XI: Wings of the Goddess (PS3)
Final Fantasy IV

1 FF game per month on average, and I feel like I'm missing something too. The latter half of 2006 had FFIII, FFVa and FFVIa too.

To be fair, that's actually 10 games (FF XI: WOTG, same game but on 3 systems). Still a lot though.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Thunder Monkey said:
I really need to play Okami sometime.

I miss your HK-47 avy. And the use of meatbag has declined as of late.

Monkey doesn't approve. Never forget your heritage, and your ties to Revan young one.

I'm back and with a snazzy cape

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
Pretty much. It's not what we think, but the tracker's discretion. Like how Famitsu combines Pokémon Diamond/Pearl and Media Create doesn't.
Ye, that is true, i forgot about that Famitsu combines Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (and those Mega Man DS games as well if i am not mistaken) and that Media Create doesnt :)

Jokeropia said:
Publishers will notice FFXIII struggling to reach historical FF numbers, and I very much doubt that it will outsell DQX.
How much do you think FFXIII will sell in Japan?

RpgN

HK-47 said:

Good points, FFIII's position was kind of special how it was never remade or ported before. FFIV on the other hand...:lol

C.T.

Or maybe its because they released their big games 07 while 08 hadn't such a nice release list? It's stupid to compare numbers without context.

Are we at the point to call the wii success a fad again? Seriously...

Soule

SovanJedi said:
Wait, what? I mean... what? Is this real?

I mean, hate not only the two best games in the series but some of the best RPGs ever created?
Pretty much what I was thinking :\

RpgN

lowlylowlycook said:
A million seller
on PS3; almost like
waiting for Godot

Really, you guys shouldn't guess how it will perform so soon. It can go either way. It will be the ultimate test to see how the FF franchise can move systems or can't. I'm really looking forward when that day comes.

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
I dunno, ~1.5 - 2 million?
Ok :) That is relatively close (the 2 million) to what the other Final Fantasy games have sold in Japan. If FF13 reaches that number, it will be pretty good in my opinion, being on the PS3 and all :) But i agree, i also think that Final Fantasy 13 will sell somewhere around 1.5 - 2 million copies in Japan as you say :) How long time do you think it will take to reach that number, hence the "struggling to reach"?

lowlylowlycook said:
A million seller
on PS3; almost like
waiting for Godot
Indeed, but "only" almost ;) :)

EDIT: I fixed a typo and removed some text, sorry.

Kenka

RpgN said:
Really, you guys shouldn't guess how it will perform so soon. It can go either way. It will be the ultimate test to see how the FF franchise can move systems or can't. I'm really looking forward when that day comes.

If you mean PS3, it won't.

EDIT : Final Fantasy will have a better audiance on 360 in Western countries. 360 crowd looks more ready to experiment than Wii or PS3 owners and you can be sure that new purchasers will jump in the RPG wagon. On the other hand, on PS3, I only see Japan as a place where PS3 can sell more thanks to FF XIII. And it probably won't reach the million mark there as opposed to US and Europe. So bump maybe, but a smaller bump that what could truly help the console.

Syntek

lowlylowlycook said:
A million seller
on PS3; almost like
waiting for Godot

I think it might take longer to hit that mark, but it'll hit it eventually.

Let's say one million people want to play it, but half of them can't because the cost of the PS3 right now is a major deterrent.

But eventually, the cost of the PS3 will be a non-factor, so everyone who wanted to play the game will still buy it to play anyway.

Of course, this logic depends on whether you believe there is actually a million people in Japan who'll want to play FFXIII.

Then you have the other model, where people buy games on a whim, so obviously they'd only be buying games accessible to them at the time. I don't really think FF falls under this category though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Syntek said:
I think it might take longer to hit that mark, but it'll hit it eventually.

Let's say one million people want to play it, but half of them can't because the cost of the PS3 right now is a major deterrent.

But eventually, the cost of the PS3 will be a non-factor, so everyone who wanted to play the game will still buy it to play anyway.

Of course, this logic depends on whether you believe there is actually a million people in Japan who'll want to play FFXIII.

Then you have the other model, where people buy games on a whim, so obviously they'd only be buying games accessible to them at the time. I don't really think FF falls under this category though.
I think that is a safe bet, that over a million people want to play FFXIII :) Seeing the first week sales on some of the previous main Final Fantasy games (non remakes or ports):

FFX: 1,749,737
FFX-2: 1,472,914
FFXIII: 1,840,397

(numbers are taken from Garaph.info)

I dont think that FF13 first week sales will be this strong though, but seeing how those 3 Final Fantasy games are relatively close to eachother in sales in the first week, it seems that alot of people are interested in the Final Fantasy games, and based on these numbers i would think that at least 1 million of people in Japan wants to play FFXIII :)

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
test_account said:
I think that is a safe bet, that over a million people want to play FFXIII. Seeing the first week sales on some of the previous main Final Fantasy games (non remakes or ports):

FFX: 1,749,737
FFX-2: 1,472,914
FFXIII: 1,840,397

(numbers are taken from Garaph.info)

I dont think that FF13 first week sales will be this strong though, but seeing how those 3 Final Fantasy games are relatively close to eachother, it seems that alot of people are interested in the Final Fantasy games, and based on these numbers i would think that at least 1 million of people in Japan wants to play FFXIII :)

It`s nice to want things ;-)

test_account

XP-39C²
Kenka said:
EDIT : Final Fantasy will have a better audiance on 360 in Western countries. 360 crowd looks more ready to experiment than Wii or PS3 owners and you can be sure that new purchasers will jump in the RPG wagon. On the other hand, on PS3, I only see Japan as a place where PS3 can sell more thanks to FF XIII. And it probably won't reach the million mark there as opposed to US and Europe. So bump maybe, but a smaller bump that what could truly help the console.
With "won't reach the million mark", do you mean that Final Fantasy XIII wont sell 1 million copies in total in Japan? If so, i think it will do that without much problems :) Sure, the game is on the PS3, which has sold relatively little so far, but if FFXIII wont reach 1 million copies sold in Japan, that means that over 1 million people has lost the interest in Final Fantasy XIII. going by how the resently previous main Final Fantasy games has sold (which is around 2 million copies each, and assuming that each person bought 1 copy of the game each, some persons might have bought 2 or several of copies of the game(s) for collection purposes or so). Is that likely, even if FFXII is on the PS3? Time will tell :)

cw_sasuke said:
It`s nice to want things ;-)
Indeed :) But as HK-47 said, in this case with FFXIII, many will get the things they might want :) It might be abit pricey to get it though (if they dont already have a PS3), but it would be possible to get it :)

Kenka

test_account said:
With "won't reach the million mark", do you mean that Final Fantasy XIII wont sell 1 million copies in total in Japan? If so, i think it will do that easily. Sure, the game is on the PS3, which has sold relatively little so far, but if FFXIII wont reach 1 million copies sold in Japan, that means that over 1 million people has lost the interest in Final Fantasy (assuming that 1 person only buys 1 copy of the game, some people might buy several of copies for collection purpose or something), going by how the resently previous main Final Fantasy games has sold (which is around 2 million copies each).

I don't think it will. I may be completely off but I do think Final Fantasy lost some of its selling power, mostly because of its incapacity to feel fresh enough to give all of us a respectable boner. About Japan ? Probably the same. Final X and XII made less than, say, Final V. In the case of Final Fantasy XII, meh sales weren't about quality but more with endless wait and absence of excitation as news let us know more about the game. Exactly the same thing is happenning with Final XIII right now.

The japanese are not buying PS3 in anticipation to Final XIII, it is now clear. And out of soon-to-reach 2.5 million userbase, one third of purchasers buying the game is a good proportion. So no, Final Fantasy XIII will likely not reach that milestone.

But the tide may turn if Agito is exceptionnal and reflects the quality of FFXIII. People will then look more forward to it. But until then, don't hold your breath.

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
How much do you think FFXIII will sell in Japan?
Somewhere between 1-2m. Just like monster Hunter 3. :lol

Kenka said:
EDIT : Final Fantasy will have a better audiance on 360 in Western countries. 360 crowd looks more ready to experiment than Wii or PS3 owners and you can be sure that new purchasers will jump in the RPG wagon.
Eh... I agree FFXIII will sell better on 360 in the USA, and likely in the west overall (just like DMC4, SC4, and basically every JP made multiplatform 3rd party game) but the 360 base hasn't exactly been welcoming to experimental Japanese games. And JRPGs especially; Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant ... pretty much everything notable but Lost Odyssey has sort of tanked. Meanwhile WRPGs like Fable II, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Oblivion all cruised past platinum sales. :/

test_account

XP-39C²
Kenka said:
I don't think it will. I may be completely off but I do think Final Fantasy lost some of its selling power, mostly because of its incapacity to feel fresh enough to give all of us a respectable boner. About Japan ? Probably the same. Final X and XII made less than, say, Final V. In the case of Final Fantasy XII, meh sales weren't about quality but more with endless wait and absence of excitation as news let us know more about the game. Exactly the same thing is happenning with Final XIII right now.

The japanese are not buying PS3 in anticipation to Final XIII, it is now clear. And out of soon-to-reach 2.5 million userbase, one third of purchasers buying the game is a good proportion. So no, Final Fantasy XIII will likely not reach that milestone.

But the tide may turn if Agito is exceptionnal and reflects the quality of FFXIII. People will then look more forward to it. But until then, don't hold your breath.
How much did FFV sell? Do you mean the first release to the Super Famicom or the remakes for the PS1 and the GBA, or all of the Super Famicom, PS1 and the GBA combined? :)

Comparing the FFV sales numbers to for example FFX and FFXII might be a good way to see if the interest for Final Fantasy in general has increased or decreased over the years, but i am not sure how good of an indicator it is to look at the FFV sale numbers and see how much FFXIII can sell based on this since FFV was released in 1992 and that is about 17 years ago.

When you say "meh sales" to Final Fantasy XII, do you mean poor sales then? Final Fantasy XII sold about 2.3 million copies in Japan, i dont think that is exactly "meh". Or am i missunderstanding what you are saying?

About the japanese not bying a PS3 in anticipation to Final XIII, looking at these days' PS3 sales numbers, i agree, but who knows how many that are waiting for FFXIII before they are getting a PS3? :) To take an example in my case, i am really looking forward to God of War 3 for the PS3. If i wasnt really that much interested in any of the other PS3 games that have come out by now, or in the PS3 in general, then i might would have waited to buy a PS3 until God of War 3 was about to come out. I think that this might be a realistic senario for several of people who are waiting for FFXIII, at least in Japan :)

I am not saying that "the tide will turn" for the PS3 or anything just because when FFXII gets released just to underline that, i dont think one game alone (even if it is Final Fantasy 13) can "turn the tide" in a really big/segnificant way. I am just saying that i think that many people who want FFXIII havnt bought a PS3 yet :) They might sell their PS3 like 2 weeks or so after they have bought FFXIII and played through it.

But as you say in the begining about that Final Fantasy XIII not being fresh, i think that might be a possibility, i agree. I have no idea how the Final Fantasy fans in general in Japan are thinking and/or are feeling about FFXIII though :\ I do belive that some people might have lost the interest in the Final Fantasy games, but for FFXIII to drop over a million copies in sales compared to how much FFXII sold, i dont think that so many people have lost the interest in FFXIII, but only time will tell :)

jarrod said:
Somewhere between 1-2m. Just like monster Hunter 3. :lol
Between 1-2 million copies sold for FFXIII is possible, i agree :) I think it will be closer to around 1.5 million when it is all said and done though, but who knows :) Is there any release date or release period set for Final Fantasy XIII yet by the way?

jarrod

Banned
test_account said:
Between 1-2 million copies sold for FFXIII is possible, i agree :) I think it will be closer to around 1.5 million when it is all said and done though, but who knows :) Is there any release date or release period set for Final Fantasy XIII yet by the way?
Not that I know of, just "2009". It'd be great if it went up directly against MH3 at the end of 2009, would make for fun times around here. :lol

Johann

FFXIII is supposed to be a late 2009 release according to DKΣ3713.

It'll probably sell about a million the first week with sharp decline following it. I'd imagine we'll see a repeat of MGS4's sales pattern at a larger scale (strong opening, weak legs, more used copies than E.T. cartridges)

jarrod said:
Not that I know of, just "2009". It'd be great if it went up directly against MH3 at the end of 2009, would make for fun times around here. :lol

It would be the grizzled veteran against the hot-shot Wunderkind! Just like Rocky Balboa!

Spiegel

jarrod said:

The Monster Hunter franchise is bigger than the Final Fantasy franchise right now in Japan.

jarrod

Banned
1m 1st week and 1.5m lifetime? That'd put FFXIII roughly at MGS4's ratio, and sounds plausible...

What does everyone think MH3 will do? That's more of a wildcard imo...

jarrod

Banned
Spiegel said:
The Monster Hunter franchise is bigger than the Final Fantasy franchise right now in Japan.
I'm not sure if MH3 will match MHP2/2G's sort of heights though? I'm not even positive it'll actually crack a million honestly? All I'm certain of really is that it'll outsell the PS2 titles, but who knows really?

jarrod said:
What does everyone think MH3 will do? That's more of a wildcard imo...

I think it really depends on how much Nintendo and Capcom decide to push the title. If they're just going to give it a moderate push (in terms of content/advertising) and hope that the MH audience on the PSP and the wider audience will transfer I doubt it will be that successful.

The MHG port makes me hopeful that Capcom understand that they need to do more to bring the MH audience (at least) to the system.

test_account said:
How much did FFV sell? Do you mean the first release to the Super Famicom or the remakes for the PS1 and the GBA, or all of the Super Famicom, PS1 and the GBA combined? :)

Comparing the FFV sales numbers to for example FFX and FFXII might be a good way to see if the interest for Final Fantasy in general has increased or decreased over the years, but i am not sure how good of an indicator it is to look at the FFV sale numbers and see how much FFXIII can sell based on this since FFV was released in 1992 and that is about 17 years ago.

I've been wondering the same thing myself, but I'll be damned if google is throwing up anything on historical FF sales data. The thing is I'm almost certain I've seen something about it before. I'd even go so far to say I'm sure I've seen an FF graph like Chartget's DQ series total graph.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Cosmonaut X said:
I think it really depends on how much Nintendo and Capcom decide to push the title. If they're just going to give it a moderate push (in terms of content/advertising) and hope that the MH audience on the PSP and the wider audience will transfer I doubt it will be that successful.

The MHG port makes me hopeful that Capcom understand that they need to do more to bring the MH audience (at least) to the system.

Judging by TGS, I'd say its safe to say both parties will push it extremely hard.

Spiegel

jeremy1456 said:

That's incorrect. Monster Hunter Portable 2G is the only game in the MH franchise bigger than FFXII

So yeah, my statement is correct. The Monster Hunter franchise is bigger than the Final Fantasy franchise right now in Japan.

jeremy1456

Spiegel said:
That's incorrect. Monster Hunter Portable 2G is the only game in the MH franchise bigger than FFXII

So yeah, my statement is correct. The Monster Hunter franchise is bigger than the Final Fantasy franchise right now in Japan.

If you're comparing FF spinoffs/ports/remakes to the Monster Hunter series then yes.

Otherwise you're still incorrect. A mainline FF game performs better than console Monster Hunter games (going off of past data), and similarly to Monster Hunter Portable games.

Spiegel

jeremy1456 said:
If you're comparing FF spinoffs/ports/remakes to the Monster Hunter series then yes.

Otherwise you're still incorrect. A mainline FF game performs better than console Monster Hunter games (going off of past data), and similarly to Monster Hunter Portable games.

Zero mainline Monster Hunters have been released since the series took off with MHF2/G in 2007/8. MHF psp in 2005/6 performed ~ like Monster Hunter 2 did on the ps2 in 2006

And the last FF sold ~2450k. Monster Hunter 2G has sold ~2750k and isn't done selling.

Top Bottom