• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales: 12/29 - 01/04

test_account

XP-39C²
jarrod said:
Not that I know of, just "2009". It'd be great if it went up directly against MH3 at the end of 2009, would make for fun times around here. :lol
Ah ok, thanks for the info! :) Ye, i would also like FFXIII going up directly against MH3 at the end of 2009, it would be fun times indeed :)

Johann said:
FFXIII is supposed to be a late 2009 release according to DKΣ3713.

It'll probably sell about a million the first week with sharp decline following it. I'd imagine we'll see a repeat of MGS4's sales pattern at a larger scale (strong opening, weak legs, more used copies than E.T. cartridges)
Ok, so FFXIII might be out in late 2009 then, that is good to know! :) Thanks for the info! :)

Ye, i also think that we will see a pretty steep decline in the FFXIII sales after the first week, just like we did with MGS4 as you mention :) And also like it was with FFX, FFX-2 and FFXII as well. These 3 Final Fantasy games also had a pretty steep decline after the first week of sales.

linecomparegamejp.php

(Graph from Garaph.info)

:)

EDIT: Why doesnt it work to use a IMG tag now? :\ It has worked before.

Die Squirrel Die said:
I've been wondering the same thing myself, but I'll be damned if google is throwing up anything on historical FF sales data. The thing is I'm almost certain I've seen something about it before. I'd even go so far to say I'm sure I've seen an FF graph like Chartget's DQ series total graph.
Ye, i would like to see how much each Final Fantasy games has sold as well (if we have any sales numbers for all of the games) :) Ye, i think i have also seen a Final Fantasy chart from Chartget as you also mentioned, but i am not 100% sure :\ I know for sure that i have seen a Super Mario Bros chart from Chartget though, i think it was from Chartget at least :)

t3nmilez

jarrod said:
Eh... I agree FFXIII will sell better on 360 in the USA, and likely in the west overall (just like DMC4, SC4, and basically every JP made multiplatform 3rd party game) but the 360 base hasn't exactly been welcoming to experimental Japanese games. And JRPGs especially; Eternal Sonata, Blue Dragon, Tales of Vesperia, Infinite Undiscovery, Last Remnant ... pretty much everything notable but Lost Odyssey has sort of tanked. Meanwhile WRPGs like Fable II, Mass Effect, Fallout 3 and Oblivion all cruised past platinum sales. :/

Final Fantasy is THE Jrpg, all Americans know it, and I'm sure it'll be well advertised. Lost Odyssey was the most FF-style of the current JRPG lot, and the most successful. I have no doubt that 13 will see huge sales in the west.

Can we at least say that the PSP is home to the otaku-games? Lots of visual novels, quirky RPGs, shooters, and anime games (yeah the DS has them too, but the ambition seems to be placed on the PSP). I think that games like iDOLM@STER SP and Project Diva will do pretty well when they come out. Maybe the PSP is the next PC-Engine.

test_account said:
linecomparegamejp.php

(Graph from Garaph.info)

:)

EDIT: Why doesnt it work to use a IMG tag now? :\ It has worked before.
The board software freaks out when image URLs have things like ? = & % going on. I set up a parser that will turn them into URLs almost indistinguishable from regular files, and one going the opposite direction at the server so it will know what to do with them. Put the URL you gave above through the linked parser, and...

FFXII

On pages on Garaph where images are displayed within the page I try to keep them using these "forum-friendly" URLs so they can be copied and pasted here without hassle, so you may have done that before without running into this issue.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
stilgar said:
Still, I fail to see how, given we now have the figures for the last week of the year, anything would change.

If you consider Nintendo doesn't give up on certain kinds of games, it would be wise not to discount it so early. But then again, there's no guarantee of anything, odds are maybe Nintendo won't push it too much in a while, but it's possible. I'm not saying it's not a legitimate suggestion, but if you're celebrating something as trivial as a Nintendo game leaving the top 30 for a while, then I would question that.

test_account

XP-39C²
JoshuaJSlone said:
The board software freaks out when image URLs have things like ? = & % going on. I set up a parser that will turn them into URLs almost indistinguishable from regular files, and one going the opposite direction at the server so it will know what to do with them. Put the URL you gave above through the linked parser, and...

http://garaph.info/linecomparegamej...id-1/1302/abb-1/FFX-2/gid-2/2402/abb-2/FFXII/

On pages on Garaph where images are displayed within the page I try to keep them using these "forum-friendly" URLs so they can be copied and pasted here without hassle, so you may have done that before without running into this issue.
Ah ok, so that is the reason why the IMG tag didnt work on NeoGAF forum. I didnt know about that parser either, i will try to remember to use that the next time, thanks for mentioning this! :)

Jokeropia

test_account said:
Ok :) That is relatively close (the 2 million) to what the other Final Fantasy games have sold in Japan. If FF13 reaches that number, it will be pretty good in my opinion, being on the PS3 and all :) But i agree, i also think that Final Fantasy 13 will sell somewhere around 1.5 - 2 million copies in Japan as you say :) How long time do you think it will take to reach that number, hence the "struggling to reach"?
The latest FF main entries sold ~2.3 million in Japan, so 1.5 - 2 million for FFXIII would be approximately the same ratio as MGS4 had compared to previous entries. That is, it will struggle (and most likely fail) to reach the sale of it's predecessors. It would still be really good for a PS3 game, but that's more or less my point. Like Stumpokapow said, publishers will most likely conclude that it will have sold that much in spite of being on PS3, not because of.
Spiegel said:
Zero mainline Monster Hunters have been released since the series took off with MHF2/G in 2007/8. MHF psp in 2005/6 performed ~ like Monster Hunter 2 did on the ps2 in 2006
MHP (including BEST re-releases): ~1.1m
MH2 (including BEST re-release): 623k

The last MH2 reprint was also released after the last MHP reprint, so it's not like only MHP had the chance to benefit from the series taking off.

Jokeropia said:
MHP (including BEST re-releases): ~1.1m
MH2 (including BEST re-release): 623k

The last MH2 reprint was also released after the last MHP reprint, so it's not like only MHP had the chance to benefit from the series taking off.
Way too simplistic comparison with the everlasting legs of one title.

MHP+PSP

See how the new entry of the series on a console fared against the previous entry on the handheld which had blown past previous numbers.

Spiegel

Jokeropia said:

MH2 best edition was also released after Monster Hunter Freedom 2 had sold 1250k.

RpgN

JoshuaJSlone said:
I dunno, I thought Wonderswan was a pretty big test of that, though it was portable ports rather than the new hotness.

yep, 20 year old ports don't count.

There are like 2 different scenarios for FFXIII that could happen:

The bad: The game won't perform as previous main FF games from all the whoring and ports. Fans won't be willing to shell cash for a ps3 and the game. It will still be a success with 800k+ in Japan, but it's an apparent decline and a disappointment.

The good: Fans might still value main FF games to purchase a ps3. The MGS4 audience certainly surprised many here and caused a bump in Japan. It is also selling close to 700k, which is close to previous MG games (800k+?). FF fans are certainly bigger and could cause more. Nomura also mentioned how they'll shell big cash so that all people will know about its release. It is the first FF on the ps3, and could be like FFVII and X. 1,5+ million is possible.

It all depends on the brand and how strong it is now.

Jokeropia

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Way too simplistic comparison with the everlasting legs of one title.
Not really. MHP sold more, I don't see why it matters that it did so thanks to greater legs. If MH2 had been as popular, it would've had great legs as well. Also, that chart is kinda misleading since it contains five months of MHP sales after the release of the BEST reprint.
Spiegel said:
MH2 best edition was also released after Monster Hunter Freedom 2 had sold 1250k.
So? Should more MHP2 fans mean less people interested in picking up the console version?

Spiegel

Jokeropia said:
So? Should more MHP2 fans mean less people interested in picking up the console version?

Yes? Why would anybody buy the ps2 version when the portable and popular version was out months ago.

MH3 will be the first mainline Monster Hunter released since the series took off, so the performance of previous MH on the ps2 means nothing. And I don't remember MH 1 and 2 having the kind of hype that MH3 is having now (but I can be wrong)

Jokeropia said:
Not really. MHP sold more, I don't see why it matters that it did so thanks to greater legs. If MH2 had been as popular, it would've had great legs as well. Also, that chart is kinda misleading since it contains five months of MHP sales after the release of the BEST reprint.
It does matter when you compare them head to head because they launched near each other. MHP didn't get to 1.1m with that release, it did with 2 the best re-releases along the years. MHP expanded greatly MH numbers on console, and MH2 matched those numbers. Then, way after that, MHP expansion continued to finally end at that 1.1m figure.

Misleading how? It does not contain re-release numbers, those are a separate ID in garaph.

If you just don't care about time, why not compare MHP2G 2'7m with MH2 600k? Its stupid to compare MH2 sales with what MHP got after 2 years of legs and say 'oh, MH2 didn't catch on MHP expansion'. It caught it nearly 100% and then the series continued growing. There's no data suggesting that MH handheld growth can't be transferred to console, because MH2 grew to the heights MHP had arrived.

Jokeropia

Spiegel said:
Yes? Why would anybody buy the ps2 version when the portable and popular version was out months ago.
Because there'd been an influx of new Monster Hunter fans and the versions are different enough to warrant playing both? The difference between MHP2 and MHP2G (or for that's sake, MHG and MHP) are obviously large enough for people to "double-dip".

The answer is of course that the console part of the franchise is not as big as the portable part.
Spiegel said:
MH3 will be the first mainline Monster Hunter released since the series took off, so the performance of previous MH on the ps2 means nothing.
The franchise had already taken off when MH2 was released, the fact that it happened over time does not change that. That is, had MH2 benefited fully from this growth, it would've had long legs just like MHP.

Now the franchise has taken another big step with MHP2/MHP2G, so MH3 has every possibility to grow beyond MH2.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Then, way after that, MHP expansion continued to finally end at that 1.1m figure.
It didn't continue "way after that". MHP came out, was popular and kept growing as word of mouth travelled and fanbase grew. During this time, MH2 also came out, was popular, but didn't keep growing with the fanbase like MHP.

Even today, the Monster Hunter (Portable) games get a good deal of their sales by merit of their great legs.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Misleading how? It does not contain re-release numbers, those are a separate ID in garaph.
Because MHP got a re-release within the span of the chart (which obviously stunts sales of the original release), whereas MH2 did not.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
If you just don't care about time, why not compare MHP2G 2'7m with MH2 600k?
MHP2G and MHP are two different games. MHP and MHP BEST re-release are not.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Its stupid to compare MH2 sales with what MHP got after 2 years of legs and say 'oh, MH2 didn't catch on MHP expansion'. It caught it nearly 100% and then the series continued growing.
And why did MH2 not keep growing with the series?

donny2112

Spiegel said:
MH3 will be the first mainline Monster Hunter released since the series took off,

MHP2G was. It was the first "new" game since Monster Hunter 2 came out, by my understanding. Monster Hunter 3 will be the first console game in the series since the portable ones took off, though. My expectations for MH3 pretty much remain unchanged from a year ago. About MH1 levels for the launch week. LTD somewhere between MH1 and MH2 as the Monster Hunter userbase moves over. 500K LTD would be great. :)

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
Monster Hunter 3 will be the first console game in the series since the portable ones took off, though. My expectations for MH3 pretty much remain unchanged from a year ago. About MH1 levels for the launch week. LTD somewhere between MH1 and MH2 as the Monster Hunter userbase moves over. 500K LTD would be great. :)

That would be a disaster.

donny2112 said:
MHP2G was. It was the first "new" game since Monster Hunter 2 came out, by my understanding.

It's not a new game. It's the same game + extra missions + extra stuff.

MHP2G is not a new mainline game, it's an expansion

noonche

donny2112 said:
MHP2G was. It was the first "new" game since Monster Hunter 2 came out, by my understanding. Monster Hunter 3 will be the first console game in the series since the portable ones took off, though. My expectations for MH3 pretty much remain unchanged from a year ago. About MH1 levels for the launch week. LTD somewhere between MH1 and MH2 as the Monster Hunter userbase moves over. 500K LTD would be great. :)

Depends on if you want to count Frontier. I know that PC gaming isn't popular in Japan, but despite this I still think the popularity of Portable vs Frontier shows that people are more interested in local, face-to-face play then online play when it comes to this series. If 3 is just Frontier plus a little bit of temporary exclusive content (as was the case with MHP2G) then I don't think the game will sell as well as a PSP iteration.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
That would be a disaster.

That would be how many others have been putting it, yes. However, I don't think those "others" are being reasonable. e.g. Pokemon The handheld and console versions have very different sales patterns and to expect one from the other is silly.

Spiegel

donny2112 said:
That would be how many others have been putting it, yes. However, I don't think those "others" are being reasonable. e.g. Pokemon The handheld and console versions have very different sales patterns and to expect one from the other is silly.

Those pokemon console games are a joke compared with the handled versions.

MH3 is the real deal.

donny2112 said:

They are also quite obviously very different games. MH3 is a lot closer to MH2P than, say, Pokemon XD is to Pokemon RSE.

donny2112

Spiegel said:
MH3 is the real deal.
Pureauthor said:
They are also quite obviously very different games. MH3 is a lot closer to MH2P than, say, Pokemon XD is to Pokemon RSE.

Another example would be Animal Crossing. The point is that you can't predict that MH3 will be a multi-million seller because the last two portable iterations were. MH3P, if it's still on the PSP and not a PSP2/DS2 when it comes out? Sure. MH3? Not so clear. I'd rather base expectations on what we know to be the console userbase adjusted for the fact that it's changing platforms as compared to thinking all the portable players will just pick it up.

Would I like for it to sell ~1 million? Sure, but my expectations are what I stated. I'm not convinced that 1) the Wii audience is primed and ready for a MH3 (which I am sure is part of the reason Capcom is porting MHG) or that 2) the MH portable audience is hardcore enough about the game to pick up a Wii for it.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
WTF, Wii's close to a 5 millions lead now, that'll probably be at the very least a couple of millions larger when planned-as-today games start rolling out in the next 12/18 months...
dear publishers, jump on the bandwagon now or GTFO!

test_account

XP-39C²
Jokeropia said:
The latest FF main entries sold ~2.3 million in Japan, so 1.5 - 2 million for FFXIII would be approximately the same ratio as MGS4 had compared to previous entries. That is, it will struggle (and most likely fail) to reach the sale of it's predecessors. It would still be really good for a PS3 game, but that's more or less my point. Like Stumpokapow said, publishers will most likely conclude that it will have sold that much in spite of being on PS3, not because of.
Ah ok, i see what you mean, thanks for the answer! :) By the way, will it change anything regarding the publishers how FFXIII will sell? I am sure that publisher will take notes on how FFXIII sells, but will it change anything when it comes to the games that the PS3 will get?

Jokeropia said:
And why did MH2 not keep growing with the series?
Because the console games have not expanded the audience, YET MH2 could match the heights MHP was at when it was released. Of course it didn't show legs, but what the data also says is that its possible for a console MH to get near handheld MH sales at the time. Basically, if MH2 scenario was repeated with MH3 right now, MH3 would get near MHP2G (2-2.5m) and die while MHP2G could keep going over 3m and more.

Of course its totally right to believe that MH handheld is way too big now to move that easily to a console or that the fanbase will rather wait now for a handheld version, but what isn't right is to say that MH can't get as high as on a handheld putting up MH2 sales as justification.

test_account

XP-39C²
Famitsu Top 10 (at Famitsu.com) is up now :)

1. Dissidia (PSP)

2. Wagamama (DS)

3. Rythm Tengoku (DS)

4. Monster Hunter Portable 2G ("The BEST" version) (PSP)

5. Animal Crossing Wii (Wii)

6. WiiFit (Wii)

7. Kirby Super Star Ultra (i think?) (DS)

8. Pokemon Platinum (DS)

9. White Knight Chronicles (PS3)

10. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

I think that should be correct, but please correct me if i am wrong :) I am sorry for the poor "listing-way"/setup that i used :\

Kenka

test_account said:
Famitsu Top 10 (at Famitsu.com) is up now :)

1. Dissidia (PSP)

2. Wagamama (DS)

3. Rythm Tengoku (DS)

4. Monster Hunter Portable 2G ("The BEST" version) (PSP)

5. Animal Crossing Wii (Wii)

6. WiiFit (Wii)

7. Kirby Super Star Ultra (i think?) (DS)

8. Pokemon Platinum (DS)

9. White Knight Chronicles (PS3)

10. Mario Kart Wii (Wii)

I think that should be correct, but please correct me if i am wrong :) I am sorry for the poor "listing-way"/setup that i used :\

WTF @ those 4 dudes ? Just drop and let Fragile shine when it gets out.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Loudninja said:

Well, here's a list of DS/PSP/PS3/360 RPGs (some of these are very loosely RPGs) that made 3 weeks in the top 10 and you can pick which count and which don't:

Mario and Luigi 2

DQIV
DQV
Dragon Quest Swords
DQM: J

FF3
FFXII: RW
FFT PSP
Crisis Core: FF7
FFCC DS
FFTA2
FF4

Pokemon MD Blue
Pokemon Ranger
Pokemon DP
Pokemon MD 2
Pokemon Ranger 2
Pokemon Platinum

Children of Mana

Monster Hunter Portable 2
Monster Hunter Portable 2G

Phantasy Star Portable

Tales of Eternia PSP

_Possibly_ Blue Dragon (Garaph doesn't have ranking data for some of the weeks)

ram

really strange, that capcom didnt announce another monster hunter game for psp. the ebst version of MH2G is holding up in the charts so well and its probably capcoms most successful game in japan in the last years.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
ram said:
really strange, that capcom didnt announce another monster hunter game for psp. the ebst version of MH2G is holding up in the charts so well and its probably capcoms most successful game in japan in the last years.

as of the next few months, it'll pass street fighter ii... and be capcom's most successful game in japan ever.

RpgN

schuelma said:
Need numberzzz

You tell 'em sista!

No really, Dissidia being number 1 again and WKN still in the top 10 is good and all. But it's going to be a slow week, the numbers will drop. I want to see them >_<

Spiegel

sinobi

Dissidia - 44k (800k ltd)
MHP2G - 32k (292k ltd)
Animal Crossing Wii - 31k (1010k ltd)
WKC PS3 - 24k (300k ltd)

RpgN said:
yep, 20 year old ports don't count.
Ehh, the situation wasn't quite that bad. It was the first to get the FF I and II remakes that sold well for Wonderswan games and eventually did better on PlayStation and GBA. When it got Final Fantasy IV the game wasn't yet 11 years older, so it was younger than Chrono Trigger today.

But yeah, definitely FF XIII is many times a bigger deal.
Stumpokapow said:
_Possibly_ Blue Dragon (Garaph doesn't have ranking data for some of the weeks)
Nah. Looks like week 2 was 22,340, but #30 that week was 25,679.

Top Bottom