• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 12/31 - 1/6 2008

Jokeropia

Does anyone have the Famitsu LTDs for these systems? (Including this week.) I'd like to see how they compare to the Media-Create LTDs.

sphinx said:
Smash bros will be like a nuclear bomb, like the 4 riders of apocalipsys. I forsee rivers of blood in Japanese streets and women and children will not be spared.

I don't see how Japan will survive the arrival of that game. I expect it to sell something like 3 million in 2008 and other 3 by the time the Wii succesor is announced.

Basically, I agree. The fact is that now the WIi is launched and the software is selling greatly. Since now, every major game will sell a lot and Smash Bros. is particulary suited to this situaton. In other words, the situation before Galaxy and Wii Fit, where every game on Wii seemed to have problem to sell, is over. It is comparable to the situation of the DS after Nintendogs and Brain Training.

Eteric Rice

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Basically, I agree. The fact is that now the WIi is launched and the software is selling greatly. Since now, every major game will sell a lot and Smash Bros. is particulary uited to this situaton. In other words, the situation before Galaxy and Wii Fit, where every game on Wii sems to have problem to sell, is over. It is comparable to the situation of the DS after Nintendogs and Brain Training.

Hopefully you're right.

Minsc

Gold Member
MrSardonic said:
Those are massive differences! Famitsu % difference from MC

DSL +17%
Wii +16.9%
PSP -13.4%
PS3 +9%
PS2 +9%
360 +33%

Really makes you wonder how reliable NPD is then, when they're considered worse than these two, and we're seeing 33% differences here. Shot in the dark and all that,
also weekly vs monthly, so monthly would average things out more

Nice hardware increases all around, I hope something comes from RE:UC & RE4's success.

marc^o^ said:
Nintendo seems able to launch million sellers at will.

What a monster they have become.

Know your history. Its always been like this, even during that tragic year 1997, they were still releasing million sellers at will.

giggas

japan_map_islands.jpg

giggas

norinrad21 said:
Know your history. Its always been like this, even during that tragic year 1997, they were still releasing million sellers at will.

Right but at that point they were basically the only company releasing anything on the N64... so they kind of had million sellers by default.

Timbuktu

I can't wait for a book like Steven Kent's 'The First Quarter' to cover this period of the industry, Iwata's strategy and the undoubted turmoil in boardrooms of all the other Japanese gaming companies.

KINGMOKU

cvxfreak said:
How in the living hell could the PSP get those numbers with Monster Hunter Portable 2nd as its top selling game far below 66K?

It doesn't seem remotely possible for the tie ratio to have reached 1.0.
I honestly think that we should place the PSP into a different catagory now. It's obvious that people are buying it to do everything but game on the thing, and they occasionaly buy a game.

It's a media device, that plays games. Not a gaming portable, that has media device functions.

Timbuktu

moku said:
I honestly think that we should place the PSP into a different catagory now. It's obvious that people are buying it to do everything but game on the thing, and they occasionaly buy a game.

It's a media device, that plays games. Not a gaming portable, that has media device functions.

but then it must be a media device with remarkably thin profit margins compared with the likes of iPod.

Meier

Arthas said:
Relax, take out your wii fit board, and do some exercise. Helps to clear the mind.

This made me laugh (it would have been out loud if I wasn't at work). Definitely a 'touché' moment.

KINGMOKU

Timbuktu said:
but then it must be a media device with remarkably thin profit margins compared with the likes of iPod.
Thats what it is. The PSP is NOT a gaming device. Game sales for it are poor/pathetic all over the world, not just in Japan. The charts in the U.S. are even worse.

It has to be compared to the ipod, or zune, not the DS.

Either that or go down as the gaming portable with the worst game sales ever.

cvxfreak said:
How in the living hell could the PSP get those numbers with Monster Hunter Portable 2nd as its top selling game far below 66K?

Movies
Music
GPS
TV

PSP is not a gaming device.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
moku said:

If that re-categorizing of the PSP ever happened, the irony of it being considered more of a non-gaming machine than the DS would be all manner of honey roasted deliciousness. :lol

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Next week will be the interesting week. Very curious how far Wii and PS3 fall.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Movies
Music
GPS
TV

At this point is difficult to say that you're wrong. PSP remains a gaming device, because thier games still sell. But it's not its most important strength anymore I think.

Dascu

DeaconKnowledge said:
Movies
Music
GPS
TV

It's very ironic to see that not the DS or Wii, but the PSP (and arguably also the PS3 with its Blu-Ray selling point) is the real "non-game" console on the market right now.

Culex

Banned
Jesus, in all likelihood, the Wii is going to pass 5 million by the end of this month. What's even more amazing is that the launch of SSBB could help the Wii eclipse the N64's LTD of 5.5 million by February.

Simply amazing.

Dengeki had COD4 PS3 at #16 and 360 edition at #22, pretty similar to MC. Poor Famitsu :(

Also interesting to me that Namaikida (quirky Acquire PSP title) went from 64 to 47 and then to 44. Hopefully it'll make it here ><

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
In other words, the situation before Galaxy and Wii Fit, where every game on Wii seemed to have problem to sell, is over. It is comparable to the situation of the DS after Nintendogs and Brain Training.

For first-party games, there was never a problem selling them on Wii. Holiday season and Wii Fit just boost them further.

For third-party games... I still don't see any sign of (good) changes.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AnimeTheme said:
For third-party games... I still don't see any sign of (good) changes.

Wait, RE:UC isn't a good sign? It's already at 234K, and has a good shot at 300K or so. How is that not a huge success for a on rails first person shooter?

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
cvxfreak said:
Some relevant things (aside for media accessories and their uses) that we have no info on are:
- PSN sales. IIRC Japan has over a 100 PS1 titles alone there. It'd be interesting to know how much, if any factor those are.
- Custom FW users(pirates and others alike) are well aware that you can play virtually entire PS1 library on the thing, which, even if we look only at people ripping LEGAL PS1 CDs, makes for very formidable competition to any portable library available.

schuelma said:
Wait, RE:UC isn't a good sign? It's already at 234K, and has a good shot at 300K or so. How is that not a huge success for a on rails first person shooter?

It's at a 3rd of Capcom's WW expectations for the game, and from a single territory alone (and the smallest of 'em all, to boot). That's definitely a good sign.

Starchasing said:
Since its software sales are so atrocious when will publishers react?

Isn't the basically the opposite problem of the 'cube? Cube had good software sales but atrocious hardware sales.

Pureauthor said:
It's at a 3rd of Capcom's WW expectations for the game, and from a single territory alone (and the smallest of 'em all, to boot). That's definitely a good sign.

It's doing well. Capcom expected 620k worldwide, they're going to get at least 300k in Japan, and the game should be doing ok in Europe as well.

Plus it's already sold over 100k in the USA in November and should perform even better in December.

They're probably going to end up with 750k-1mil worldwide.

Laguna

Banned
Starchasing said:
Since its software sales are so atrocious when will publishers react?
They already did. In TokyoGameShow 2007 they only presented one third PSP titles as they did one year before.

schuelma said:

Well yeah, RE:UC is doing great with amazing legs, but this isn't something totally unexpected, especially when considering the success of RE4 Wii and the great opening of RE:UC itself. However, this still isn't enough to make us forget that many other 3rd party games bombed hard during the holiday season.

ziran

Cheesemeister said:
01./03. [NDS] Mario Party DS (Nintendo) - 195,781 / 1,484,000
02./02. [WII] Wii Fit (Nintendo) - 127,142 / 1,011,000
03./06. [WII] Wii Sports (Nintendo) - 118,286 / 2,625,000
04./04. [NDS] Final Fantasy IV (Square-Enix) - 90,634 / 505,000
05./10. [WII] Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - 81,967 / 802,000
06./11. [WII] Wii Play (Nintendo) - 78,065 / 2,130,000
07./09. [NDS] Dragon Quest IV (Square-Enix) - 77,603 / 1,118,000
08./08. [NDS] Prof. Layton and Pandora's Box (Level 5) - 76,263 / 683,000
09./12. [WII] Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games (Nintendo) - 75,322 / 447,000
10./13. [WII] Mario Party 8 (Nintendo) - 66,370 / 1,145,000
Now that's a great top 10, there's something for everybody! :lol

Great to see SMG, Wii Sports and Wii Fit continuing to sell well :)

Midas said:
What are people doing with their PSPs?!
It probably is piracy selling PSPs, but like others have suggested, not predominately PSP sw piracy, rather other media, movies, music, emulators etc. It's performing remarkably well as a mini PC.

I think its original sw line-up just isn't appealing to most consumers. Some are convinced PSP has a great library, and it probably has for them, but overall, the games just aren't what Japanese consumers want.

Jokeropia said:
Does anyone have the Famitsu LTDs for these systems? (Including this week.) I'd like to see how they compare to the Media-Create LTDs.
Doing a like for like by Dec 30th 2007, Famistu's numbers were (MC in parenthesis):
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/29249/SPECIAL-REPORT-Japans-2007-market-stats-in-full

Nintendo DS: 21,105,472 (21,173,051)
PSP: 7,535,313 (7,601,594)
Wii: 4,618,479 (4,616,160)
PlayStation 3: 1,673,063 (1,641,676)
Xbox 360: 548,308 (507,341)

And from the rough numbers we've had, by this week it looks like:
Nintendo DS: 21,417,472 (21,439,619)
PSP: 7,724,313 (7,819,828)
Wii: 4,861,479 (4,823,957)
PlayStation 3: 1,743,063 (1,705,859)
Xbox 360: 561,308 (517,104)

Laguna

Banned
Another (main) reason for PSPs hardware sales are PSP owners who switched to PSPlite. I think the feature to play your PSP games also on your TV is very compelling to many PSPfat owners, isn´t it?

It will be interesting to see what PSPlite will do weekly after getting halfway near PSP LTD before PSPlite launch.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Pureauthor said:
Isn't the basically the opposite problem of the 'cube? Cube had good software sales but atrocious hardware sales.

Enlighten me, has the Gamecube always been considered a console with "good" software sales? Or is this a relative thing you're on about?

SovanJedi said:
Enlighten me, has the Gamecube always been considered a console with "good" software sales? Or is this a relative thing you're on about?

Didn't Super Smash Bros. and Mario Sunshine do 6 million each?

SovanJedi said:

Well, 1st party stuff sold.

And then, there's, uh, RE4.

Shut up, you're ruining my argument. :mad:

OK, i'm probably gonna get torched for this, but what third party Wii games have bombed so horribly as to drive all third party support away from the platform indefinitely?

So far I've got Chocobo Tales, and We Love Golf. What else am I forgetting?

Lobster

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Well, 1st party stuff sold.

And then, there's, uh, RE4.

Shut up, you're ruining my argument. :mad:

No you're kinda right, because there was really only ever 1st party stuff and Capcom. Everything else was a port from the Ps2..

DeaconKnowledge said:
OK, i'm probably gonna get torched for this, but what third party Wii games have bombed so horribly as to drive all third party support away from the platform indefinitely?

So far I've got Chocobo Tales, and We Love Golf. What else am I forgetting?

NiGHTS and Soul Calibur Legends from the exact same release day as the other two games you named.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It's simple really; whatever day they were released on, don't release them that day ever again.

There, Wii third party problems solved! :D

Lobster

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Where's the picture where they're holding the cups? 'Cause that was a total :( moment.

Then the report that one of the crew bought the game only even though there were a few people there for the launch.

giggas

Pureauthor said:
Where's the picture where they're holding the cups? 'Cause that was a total :( moment.

Just for you friend.

suda_sad.jpg

edit: seriously, it looks like he could just have a break down at any second. he needs a hug or something. That said, NMH day one for me.

Top Bottom