• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

Oh My Gawd said:
GTA, Battlefront, SOCOM, MPH 1, HSG, Ridge Racers and first Need for Speed. MHP 2 being #8.

PSP third party million sellers > DS third party million sellers, i thiink there have only been 3, maybe 4 worldwide correct? That's simply pathetic considering DS has sold 33-35 million~ consoles worldwide.

PSP having higher budget is the main reason average PSP game is $40. A PSP game that sells 200k brings in the same amount of money that a DS game that sells around 260k~, so budget cancels out considering more money is brought in with each game sold.

Of course PSP 2005 is going to be bigger than PSP 2006, considering the gigantic launch it had in the US and Europe.

First party sales were never in the discussion, and has nothing to do with support given to the system by third parties.

Gamecube IS NOT COMPARABLE to PSP. Period. PSP is more comparable to Ipod than Gamecube.

:lol

AniHawk

Oh My Gawd said:
GTA, Battlefront, SOCOM, MPH 1, HSG, Ridge Racers and first Need for Speed. MHP 2 being #8.

PSP third party million sellers > DS third party million sellers, i thiink there have only been 3, maybe 4 worldwide correct? That's simply pathetic considering DS has sold 33-35 million~ consoles worldwide.

PSP having higher budget is the main reason average PSP game is $40. A PSP game that sells 200k brings in the same amount of money that a DS game that sells around 260k~, so budget cancels out considering more money is brought in with each game sold.

Of course PSP 2005 is going to be bigger than PSP 2006, considering the gigantic launch it had in the US and Europe.

First party sales were never in the discussion, and has nothing to do with support given to the system by third parties.

Gamecube IS NOT COMPARABLE to PSP. Period. PSP is more comparable to Ipod than Gamecube.
MATTHEW.gif

Oh My Gawd said:

The DS has had five third party million sellers, 3 in 06, 2 in 05, and those are solid numbers because to be honest, they were largely on Japan's back, which we get reliable numbers for. Not bad considering the near 15 or so million-sellers published by Nintendo. The PSP has had 6 third party million sellers if bullcharts is to be believed, and I frankly trust the Euro #'s he has as far as I can throw a Hearse. 5 of them hit in 05, 0 in 06, and now the latest will be in 07. Connect the dots, chum.

PSP's budgets I think are not as out of hand as people think they are due to massively re-used resources. Only particular original titles I think cost significantly more than DS titles. Coincidently, every one of those titles has bombed with the fury of a thousand suns.

That said, I agree with your main point - the PSP is not the Gamecube. Because at least first-party stuff sold on the Cube. Jack shite is selling on the PSP, third or first party. And I'm frightful sure that's not the distinction you were looking for.

Nicktals

Banned
Oh My Gawd said:

The funny thing is that you would still be making this same argument if DS only had first party games which sold 20 million copies each. A system's success is not based on the amount of third party million sellers. If a DS 3rd party game can sell 2/3 as much as a PSP game and make the company the same amount of profit, then why are you comparing 1 million to 1 million? shouldn't you be comparing 666,666 to 1 million?

And yes, the PSP is the true video iPod.

Sony really needs to release a new psp that is hackproof atleast make it harder to hack than now where any assclown can do it. Thats the main problem.

And the point is that psp has better sales for 3rd party games so they are not gonna stop supporting it because they will get better sales than the DS.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DemonSwordsman said:
Sony really needs to release a new psp that is hackproof atleast make it harder to hack than now where any assclown can do it. Thats the main problem.

And the point is that psp has better sales for 3rd party games so they are not gonna stop supporting it because they will get better sales than the DS.
Looks like someone is only reading Oh My Gawd's posts.

Oh My Gawd said:

Only one of them released in the last year. Hmm...

There have been 3 DS third party million sellers in Japan alone. Tamagotchi Corner Shop, FF3, DQMJ.

You could also say that third party attempts on DS have been pathetic, and the bulk of those 35 million units only came in the last 6-12 months. Developers have only recently shifted resources to DS.

NOT LIKE IT MATTERS, SINCE THIRD PARTIES KEEP SWITCHING FROM PSP TO DS. If their PSP projects are so lucrative, explain to me why this is happening.

PSP software sales bombed out in 2006, period. DS is on an upswing, its software sales will only go up. Third party and first party.

PSP software got outsold by ****ing XBox and Gamecube over Christmas in NA. Xbox and GameCube. XBox isn't even in ****ing manufacture anymore.

Fine, then we don't even need to reference sales of any kind. All we have to do is point to all the developers who have shifted support from PSP to DS. EA, Sega, and others have made direct public announcements of this shift in strategy. Square Enix has made an obvious shift. I would name others that I'm pretty sure announced a shift in development, but I'm sure someone else can do it with more certainty.

If third parties were happy with their sales, they wouldn't be actively pulling out. Period. It doesn't matter what the numbers look like to us.

Nongamers are truly killing the industry.

And iPod is truly killing PSP in your ludicrous comparo.

AdmiralViscen said:
Oh My Gawd, can you please explain to me why EA, Sega, etc. have publically announced a development shift from PSP to DS? Can you please explain this?

Please explain if you'd like to continue this hilarious discussion. I won't be continuing otherwise.

AniHawk

AdmiralViscen said:
Please explain if you'd like to continue this hilarious discussion. I won't be continuing otherwise.

They're just taking a rest from all the awesome PSP games they've made.

KINGMOKU

Oh My Gawd said:

Anyone else looking forward to this weeks M-create chart with more anticipation?

Every other week, its the biggen. This is that "other" week.

Thank god for new members huh?

Oh, and yeah;

PSP is comparable to the ipod. it rules, just like the ipod

take the bait, take the bait. TAKE IT TAKE IT.

Epiphyte

AdmiralViscen said:
There have been 3 DS third party million sellers in Japan alone. Tamagotchi Corner Shop, FF3, DQMJ.
Hasn't Love & Berry hit 1 million as well. Or is it just close at this point?

Epiphyte said:

I think it suddenly crashed out around 700-800k when they couldn't manufacture those card scanners anymore. I could be wrong, I dunno.

justchris

I have got to start visiting GAF occasionally on weekends. I miss out on the best
horrifying
discussions.

So, anyone think MHP2 will sell out it's total shipment? I think it can pull it off.

Epiphyte said:

Most recent MC numbers have it at 890k, not sure if it's still selling decently, but it might limp to a million by the end of the year. No telling what will happen if it gets a western release though (but that seems ridiculously unlikely).

linsivvi

PantherLotus said:
Finally, FINALLY this thread achieved it's glory. The PSP is now the fukcing iPOD. Who ****ing knew.

Oh. My. Gawd.

Nah. Read again. People are now saying that PSP is better than the fukcing iPod. :lol

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Wyndstryker said:
Next thing you know someone will say it's better than a PC in multimedia capabilities...

It's true, PSP > PC.

I use it to type my 10 page essays on it all the time.....oh wait :lol

castle007

Banned
Oh My Gawd said:

WOW

Mashing

Oh My Gawd said:

Whatdog.gif

0_o

It's completely true. Only similarities between PSP and Gamecube is they play games. The end.

PSP and Ipod are similar in the way they both play games, video, MP3, Portability, even PSP and Ipod market and intended userbase is more similar than PSP and GCN...

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Oh My Gawd said:
It's completely true. Only similarities between PSP and Gamecube is they play games. The end.

PSP and Ipod are similar in the way they both play games, video, MP3, Portability, even PSP and Ipod market and intended userbase is more similar than PSP and GCN...

People are buying the PSP mainly for a gaming machine, whether pirated or legit, not as an alternative to an iPod.

Juice

Oh My Gawd said:

Just to be clear, his statement's intention was: PSP is as big a failure as GameCube.

You can still say PSP is as feature rich as the iPod, but no one cares.

Juice said:
Just to be clear, his statement's intention was: PSP is as big a failure as GameCube.

Well that's wrong simply by defualt. In 2 years, its already has a bigger fanbase in an untapped market. Gamecube was a successor to a console that sold 32 million, a number PSP userbase will also eventually pass.

Defining PSP a failure for being a multimedia device isn't reasonable, its not just gaming and people do buy it solely for it's other features, thus software is obviously not going to be as great as a medium centered completely around the idea of gaming.

I'm pretty sure you all already know this an djust like to troll it becuase it has the Sony brand though.

Oh My Gawd said:
Well that's wrong simply by defualt. In 2 years, its already has a bigger fanbase in an untapped market. Gamecube was a successor to a console that sold 32 million, a number PSP userbase will also eventually pass.

Defining PSP a failure for being a multimedia device isn't reasonable, its not just gaming and people do buy it solely for it's other features, thus software is obviously not going to be as great as a medium centered completely around the idea of gaming.

I'm pretty sure you all already know this an djust like to troll it becuase it has the Sony brand though.

Shit, you're onto us. EVERYONE, PAY NO ATTENTION TO THE SOFTWARE SALES ISSUES OF THE PSP. IT'S HOW SONY MEANT IT TO HAPPEN, AND NO ONE EXPECTED ANYTHING DIFFERENT.

God damn it, now I have to acknowledge Paris Hilton's existence...you've made an enemy today, Mr. Junior Gawd.

Xeke

Banned
I don't know about you guys but I sold off my Macbook, Ipod, DVD player, stereo and my DS and replaced them all with a PSP.

UMD > DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray.

You're all stuck in the past.

If you guys can't find a legitimate rebuttle or argument, will you quit with the sarcasm and taking every word from a poster out of context?

While Oh My Gawd may be contentious and come off as foolish, you guys are no better with:

- The elitism ("OH my gawd the juniors!!!"). You were all juniors once so quit it.
- Calling PSP a failure as big as GCN. Wrong in 2 ways that GCN wasn't a failure, and PSP certainly isn't a failure, gaining almost as big as the GCN fanbase worldwide (and Xbox for that matter) in 2 years what they did in 4.
- PSP software sales for third party titles in the US are still decent. USED to be better than DS's but now with the proportions to the sales, it's about even. Even the first party is doing well and decent.

To look at it another way, PSP software is selling about what's expected to PSP hardware (a little behind though), and same for DS. Both 3rd and First party.

- PSP is more comparable to ipod than GCN. The look, the design, the functions, and the way they were advertised all scream comparison.

Gosh, every freaking thread. Someone brings up one point someone doesn't agree with, and everyone jumps on it with sarcasm, stupid images, calling it BS etc.

apujanata

Oh My Gawd said:

Oh My Gawd. Please forgive me from saying your name in vain. Amen.

Defuser

LanceStern said:
If you guys can't find a legitimate rebuttle or argument, will you quit with the sarcasm and taking every word from a poster out of context?

While Oh My Gawd may be contentious and come off as foolish, you guys are no better with:

- The elitism ("OH my gawd the juniors!!!"). You were all juniors once so quit it.
yeah,we're all juniors once but without GameFAQS mentality

Defuser said:
yeah,we're all juniors once but without GameFAQS mentality

Gotta love that elitism, despite the majority of users here who use GameFAQs "mentality" to tell them how to play a game with it's vast collection of FAQs

apujanata

LanceStern said:

- Calling PSP a failure as big as GCN. Wrong in 2 ways that GCN wasn't a failure, and PSP certainly isn't a failure, gaining almost as big as the GCN fanbase worldwide (and Xbox for that matter) in 2 years what they did in 4.
- PSP software sales for third party titles in the US are still decent. USED to be better than DS's but now with the proportions to the sales, it's about even. Even the first party is doing well and decent.

To look at it another way, PSP software is selling about what's expected to PSP hardware (a little behind though), and same for DS. Both 3rd and First party.

- PSP is more comparable to ipod than GCN. The look, the design, the functions, and the way they were advertised all scream comparison.

Gosh, every freaking thread. Someone brings up one point someone doesn't agree with, and everyone jumps on it with sarcasm, stupid images, calling it BS etc.

Lance, do you remember that this is supposed to be M-create topic, not "World wide sales" topic, or even "NPD US sales" topic ?

LanceStern said:
Gotta love that elitism, despite the majority of users here who use GameFAQs "mentality" to tell them how to play a game with it's vast collection of FAQs

Lance, did you happen to catch that line I bolded in his last post? His point, which is a good one, would come through a lot better if it wasn't wrapped in six layers of partisan bullshit. You're bloody right I'll respond with sarcasm in that situation. Why should I treat him seriously when he can't even attempt to diffuse himself from his company bias?

And GameFAQs hating has never been about the FAQs, or really, the writers of those FAQs, but rather about the throngs of 8-year olds that clog up their message boards alongside the FAQ authors.

Top Bottom