• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

jesusraz

Magicpaint said:
You don't normally get those until Wednesday.

No, sorry, you misunderstand me. I'm referring to this week's chart as in the week this topic relates to. We normally get some random MC numbers from the likes of 2ch shortly after the full Top 50 and hardware numbers are released. But that would require someone with Japanese knowledge to check it out...Last week someone randomly posted a list on creamsugar's website.

medrew

you mean like this?

cvxfreak said:
13 DS Harvest Moon The Island I Grew Up On 25000 131000 89
25 PS3 Virtua Fighter 5 10000 59000 56
28 DS Puyo Puyo DS 10000 112000 91
30 DS Kanji Kanken 10000 438000 93
33 DS Love and Berry 8600 890000 80
37 DS Luminous Arc 7700 33000 61
41 Wii Zelda:TP 7500 394000 90
49 Wii ExciteTruck 5300 50000 75
54 DS Final Fantasy III 4500 991000 90
56 PSP Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops 4200 360000 94
67 DS ??? 2700 7800 48
70 GBA Pokemon Emerald 2600 1800000 99
79 PSP Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 2200 239000 94
84 Wii Elebits 2100 48000 81
88 Wii Cooking Mama 1900 5600 24
91 PSP ??? 1900 15000 70

jesusraz

medrew said:
you mean like this?

Thanks :) Been away a couple of days. I'd normally have trudged through, but the whole PSP-GC comparison debate seemed too painful to read...Anyway, thanks again.

Very pleasing to see Harvest Moon doing so well. Would this make it the most popular version so far? And shame to see Luminous Arc drop so quickly...

Did anyone eventually translate these two:

67.) DS ??? - 2,700 | 7,800 [ 48% ]
91.) PSP ??? - 1,900 | 15,000 [ 70% ]

? Could 67.) be Jet Impulse, perhaps?

jarrod

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Shipped is not sold

Don't copy my statements !
Production shipped is not shipped

At least get it right. :lol

Anyway, likely 3rd party million sellers for both would be...

Nintendo DS
-Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker (Square Enix)
-Final Fantasy III (Square Enix)
-Oshare Majo Love and Berry (SEGA)
-Sonic Rush (SEGA)
-Tamagotchi Connection: Corner Shop (Namco Bandai)

PSP
-Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories (Rockstar)
-Monster Hunter Freedom (Capcom)
-Need for Speed: Most Wanted (EA)
-Need For Speed: Underground Rivals (EA)
-Ridge Racers (Namco)
-Star Wars: Battlefront II (Lucasarts)

PSP has one more worldwide million seller, but DS has 3 more single region million sellers. Then again, DS also has 19 1st party million sellers, while PSP has 2.

Wow, 700K first week is higher than both DQMJ and FFIII DS. This game could easily top 2 million. Amazing sales.

I'm curious about hardware numbers now.

jarrod

Banned
Jonnyram said:
(maybe Namco will employ me, then - Gundam Musou will sell 1 million lol)
Namco actually said 2 million for Gundam Musou iirc (1m for Gundam + 1m for Musou = 2 million total). :lol

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Wow, 700K first week is higher than both DQMJ and FFIII DS. This game could easily top 2 million. Amazing sales.

It only goes to reaffirm that the PSP really is a phenomenal software success. It'll continue to have more third party million sellers than the DS at this rate.

jarrod said:
Namco actually said 2 million for Gundam Musou iirc (1m for Gundam + 1m for Musou = 2 million total). :lol

:lol Bzzzzt. No, Namco didn't, try again. :lol

Magicpaint said:

Both DQMJ and FFIII have had legs for a while. Those MH sales are most likely a load blown right from the start. 2 million is not going to happen.

Can't say I'm surprised with their 2m expectation. It's Namco being namco! :lol

ethelred said:
It only goes to reaffirm that the PSP really is a phenomenal software success. It'll continue to have more third party million sellers than the DS at this rate.

Indeed, SEGA and EA will now have to reconsider giving the PSP more focused support.

kitchenmotors said:
Both DQMJ and FFIII have had legs for a while. Those MH sales are most likely a load blown right from the start. 2 million is not going to happen.

I'm merely saying this because the first had incredible legs, maybe the second will emulate the first in the same way BT2 emulated the original? I dunno!

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Can't say I'm surprised with their 2m expectation. It's Namco being namco! :lol

Namco never said that, though, that's the problem. This is Jarrod being Jarrod.

Namco's estimate was much more conservative than that.

kitchenmotors said:
Both DQMJ and FFIII have had legs for a while. Those MH sales are most likely a load blown right from the start.

Bold prediction, given how MHP has stayed in the charts.

sony just cant compete with nintendo when it comes to handheld franchises. i think sony's franchises work better on television consoles than they do on handhelds

Koren

jarrod said:
It wasn't Namco, but it's funny, since I don't remember any Gundam selling close to 1 million...

ethelred said:

Oh, so where did the 2 million estimate come from? What was Namco's own estimate?

kitchenmotors said:

thats not likely since MHP1 is still on the charts

ethelred

Magicpaint said:
Oh, so where did the 2 million estimate come from? What was Namco's own estimate?

The co-founder of Koei.

Jonnyram said:
Sorry, it's not even Namco is it... it's Koei. But I remember them saying 1 million worldwide.

Right. Like I said, 1 million is much more conservative than 2 million.

Eteric Rice

Just a note, wasn't FFIII and DQM both supply contstrained on release? I'm assuming that if they weren't, they would have hit the same levels as MHP2.

D.Lo

ethelred said:
It only goes to reaffirm that the PSP really is a phenomenal software success. It'll continue to have more third party million sellers than the DS at this rate
Is this sarcasm?

ethelred said:
The co-founder of Koei.

Ah, ok. I haven't been keeping in touch with Koei estimates, but... :lol

ethelred said:
Right. Like I said, 1 million is much more conservative than 2 million.

Yeah, especially if the game sells like Wii Sports/Wii Play. Doubtful, though.

Eteric Rice said:
Just a note, wasn't FFIII and DQM both supply contstrained on release? I'm assuming that if they weren't, they would have hit the same levels as MHP2.

FFIII, yes, DQMJ, no.

ethelred said:

Bold prediction, given how MHP has stayed in the charts.

How much has the original sold to date? Usually when software is front loaded like this on launch week it does very little in the long term. Just looking at trends, but who knows. The japanese market is all over the place lately.

ziran

The last few pages have been, a good read.

enishi said:
If anyone cares, Famitsu predicts the savior (aka Gundam Musou) sell around 120k - 130k in its first week.
http://www.famitsu.com/blog/amazon/2007/02/post_13.html
It is based on Amazon pre-order number and comparison with VF5 first week sales.
There was a post at IGN which suggested Gundam Musou received 200k orders from retailers, and these estimated first week figures seem to tally. This is a very important title for PS3, it's going to be interesting to see what happens.

Arsenal

Monk said:
So sony has only like a 2.5-3:1 tie ratio on the psp?

Is sony making a loss on the psp?

No, Sony makes a profit on the PSP hardware sales. The fact that it is profitable as well as keeping the company in the portable media game are actually pretty significant for Sony. You could even say that this business model is similar to the one they are shooting for with the PS3... does Sony even care about marketshare any more if the market is big enough to support multiple platforms? As a company they have a lot bigger agenda than just gaming so that is going to lead them to some niche markets that may not necessarily appeal to the mass market.

The bottom line though is that realistically speaking, the PSP could very well be Sony's best selling gaming platform for the next 5 years. There is no way they are going to abandon it and while it is well behind the DS, its still selling pretty well worldwide.

kitchenmotors said:
How much has the original sold to date? Usually when software is front loaded like this on launch week it does very little in the long term. Just looking at trends, but who knows. The japanese market is all over the place lately.

NSMB First Week Sales: 899,000
NSMB LTD 9 months later: 4.1 million

But then again, DS is ALWAYS the exception. (b^.^)b Nintendo

wartime1020 said:
It's a bit ridiculous to compare sales from the first couple quarters it was out to quarters in 2006. It wasn't a worldwide launch so of course software shipments are going to go up year over year as the system launches in more regions.

Well then it wouldn't be fair in general to say software is going down either.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
cank stoochie said:
they should rename this thread the nintendo fanboy orgy. sony and microsoft fanboys enter at your risk.
seriously anyone who dares suggests anything against nintendo is jumped upon with their lols and sarcasms:lol . come on now ninty fanboys, be nice. :(

You do have to wonder why Sony/MS fans are in media create threads. It's not like they have anything to talk about.

Also, LOL @ Sony production shipments.

moku said:
This thread needs a healthy dose of;

"What have you done for me lately."

PSP's current situation, is on the decline. Thats what is current people.

Wrong. PSP is up YoY in both US and Japan early 07 vs early 06', and just had it's biggest seller ever with MHP doing 700k in one week.

This doom and gloom crap has been around since Pokemon was supposed to kill opf the system in Japan. Guess what? Never happened. PSP is here to stay for a very long time, whether you like it or not.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Oh My Gawd said:
Wrong. PSP is up YoY in both US and Japan early 07 vs early 06', and just had it's biggest seller ever with MHP doing 700k in one week.

This doom and gloom crap has been around since Pokemon was supposed to kill opf the system in Japan. Guess what? Never happened. PSP is here to stay for a very long time, whether you like it or not.
sup monorojo.

Oblivion said:
You do have to wonder why Sony/MS fans are in media create threads. It's not like they have anything to talk about.

Also, LOL @ Sony production shipments.
well this week there is something to talk about, and next week.............

Meier

DemonSwordsman said:
thats not likely since MHP1 is still on the charts

I think MHP2 should have some solid legs and it's certainly done better than I could have expected (400-500k tops), but I imagine the vast majority of these buyers have bought MHP1 and enjoyed it, hence buying the sequel as soon as possible. If you look at the big Capcom PS2 titles such as Onimusha, their first week sales increased drastically while their total sales were very similar.

Oh My Gawd said:

Did you wind up explaining the publicly announced publisher bailouts after I went to bed last night?

AdmiralViscen said:
Did you wind up explaining the publicly announced publisher bailouts after I went to bed last night?

It's already been explained by yours truly ;). Why would he need to restate it?

Jokeropia

Oh My Gawd said:
Wrong. PSP is up YoY in both US and Japan early 07 vs early 06'
Actually, PSP sales in the US in January are down compared to 2006 if you take into account the 5 week NPD and PSP sales in Japan early 2007 just recently caught up with early 2006.

apujanata

kitchenmotors said:

Monster Hunter Portable sales data (famitsu based) :
Release date : 1-Dec-05.
First week sales : 118,317
Latest sales data : 668,964, as of 31-Dec-06

MHP2 sales data (rumours and prediction based) :
Release date : 2-Feb-07.
First week sales : 700K
Lifetime sales :
- assuming same success (first week compared to LTD) as MHP : 4 Million (most probably impossible)
- assuming same success as SD Gundam G Generation Portable : 1.27 Million (should be achievable)

Note : assuming same success as MHP (PSP the best) : MHP2 will get sales of 8.7 Million unit. NeoGAF explode, Sony release a bragging PR featuring Ken Kutaragi.

Note to kitchenmotors : please refrain from commenting something when you don't have your facts right. You will just invite others to shred your opinion post.

.dmc

Banned
apujanata said:
Note : assuming same success as MHP (PSP the best) : MHP2 will get sales of 8.7 Million unit. NeoGAF explode, Sony release a bragging PR featuring Ken Kutaragi.

Eh, isn't that like assuming that a DQ or FF is going to sell 16million because they have first week sales of 2million+?

Top Bottom