• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

Stormbringer said:
I just took a look at the latest shinobi blog update ; apparently ->

Monster Hunter Portable 2 - 750,000

DS Lite - 140,000
PSP - 100,000

Waiting for anyone to confirm or correct...

I was thinking that the PSP would beat the DS lite this week for sure thanks to the Monster Hunter boost... hmmmm DS won't stop... STOP!

MC-Hammer-Photograph-C10040195.jpeg

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Stormbringer said:

DS Lite - 140,000
PSP - 100,000

So Jonny was right about the software, but expected it to push more HW. Oh well, at least he got the SW#s for MHP right since everyone else was totally off. :lol

Taurus

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Feb 19-25
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/28/103,1172652555,67814,0,0.html

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP)
2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri (PS2)
3. Fire Emblem Godess of Dawn (Wii)
4. Sim City (DS)
5. Professor Layton (DS)
6. Wii Sports (Wii)
7. Dragon Quest Monster Joker (DS)
8. Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Wii)
9. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)
Wow. It's over! The era of non-games is over! The DS is getting its ass kicked! Long live true-games and true-gamers!

Hallelujah!

I wonder how the Wii hardware sales went this week...

**Reads** Sony Press Release that says PSP beats the Wii!!!**

Taurus said:
Wow. It's over! The era of non-games is over! The DS is getting its ass kicked! Long live true-games and true-gamers!

Hallelujah!

c319f15e1e9a78f4b4dc098ps2.gif
c319f15e1e9a78f4b4dc098ps2.gif

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
ChrisAllenFiz said:
So that means Wii sports < 50K.

Not many Wii shipments this week then?
Going by DS HW numbers probably low shipment all around from Nintendo.

fabprems

Stormbringer said:

DS Lite - 140,000
PSP - 100,000

MHP2 is really impressive, I can't remember when was the last time a game sell that well in his first week .. ?

Amir0x

Banned
i still don't understand this Monster Hunter phenomenon. I mean, I get how it fits a portable platform and why it might suddenly do a bit better than its console brothers... but I don't get why it's doing this well. And is this the type of game that has legs? I remember Monster Hunter Portable 1 being the only PSP game I've seen on the charts for months. There's a formula there, Sony has to capture it somehow and market it into a even more insane phenomenon.

We could call it... Pokemon.... you know, Monsters in your pocket or something!

Amir0x

Banned
f@luS said:
Pokemonster Hunter.
5millions first week

yeah but they'd probably need a single "kawaii" monster to make absurd noises or else, you know, it might not reverberate as well. A face to represent this "pokemonster hunter" fad, if you would.

Wolf Beil

Banned
DarkMehm said:
more numbers from sinobi:

Sim City DS 50k
Naruto Wii 35k
Fire Emblem 70k
Is that for the first week? Aren't those numbers pretty good considering how the previous installments have sold?

Amir0x said:
yeah but they'd probably need a single "kawaii" monster to make absurd noises or else, you know, it might not reverberate as well. A face to represent this "pokemonster hunter" fad, if you would.
fads are those things that last at least five years right?

Fantastic numbers for MH and the PSP. I had a sneaking suspicion that it might end up near 100k for the week, terrific numbers. Just goes to show what the right software can do.

Delighted to see Sim City up there as well, I was thinking 50k ltd, not first week. Hopefully it'll have some good legs and go well beyond 100k.

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Given the consistency of weekly sales, is 2 million out of the question for Wii Sports or Wii Play?

I made a bet with someone that WiiSports will be sold 3 million times by the end of 2007 :p

@topic:

Wow, 4 Wii-games in top10, newgen is beginning.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Amir0x said:
Dragon Pokedogs Hunter Bros + bundle including glittering pink or non-shiny (carbon) jet black DS lite.

5 zillion sales first day, japan replaces its monies with DS carts.

ziran

Monster Hunter Portable 2 sales are amazing! PSP hw sales are also excellent.

MS has a great relationship with Capcom, so they would be wise to pay for an exclusive MH game for 360. It could sell a decent amount and would improve the install base in Japan.

Many older games are continuing to take a beating in Japan, which is understandable, so FE's sales are expected. I think it's going to fall pretty hard next week and end up ~110k total. The game sounds awesome and I can't wait to play it, but I think it's time for Intelligent Systems to give the franchise a rest for a while, and come back with something new for the series. They're an awesome team, so I hope they create an amazing new franchise for Wii, specifically designed to make use of the new controls.

Wii has a nice spread of titles in the top 10, it's going to be interesting to see what kind of hw numbers it manages. I think the next big titles are a while away, in April, so hopefully Nintendo has time to increase the size of shipments to retail ready for Super Paper Mario, Big Brain Academy and One Piece. At this point, I think Nintendo could comfortably increase Wii production to 1.5 million units per month.

DS sales continue to be incredible, and so are the sw sales. Seeing so many titles continuing to sell out is great, but 3rd parties really need to start anticipating demand more accurately or Nintendo needs to improve its cartridge production capacity, to ensure better supplies.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Feb 19-25
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/28/103,1172652555,67814,0,0.html

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP)
2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri (PS2)
3. Fire Emblem Godess of Dawn (Wii)
4. Sim City (DS)
5. Professor Layton (DS)
6. Wii Sports (Wii)
7. Dragon Quest Monster Joker (DS)
8. Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Wii)
9. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

Now anyone who says that DS 3rd party isn't selling should read this little piece of gold.

3 things:

1. for the 500k first day sales that were reported, i'm kind of surprised to see MHP not hit at least 900k. Just something I expected.

2. Why are people calling Fire Emblem a "bomb"? This title is completely in line to sell just as well if not better than its counterparts. 70k is pretty good, for that franchise.

3. As I suspected, PSP hit roughly 100k with the MH boost.

Looks like Wii is going to have the same problem the DS had for a little while:

Buying the non-traditional games WAY too much and letting traditional games (especially 3rd parties) suffer horribly. This time though, it's affecting Nintendo titles as well. Here's hoping FE has legs.

EDIT: Let me correct this. It still might be too soon to say that, because a lot of launch systems have 1-2 titles that dominate while others are less-sold. The true test will be when Dragon Quest Swords appears. I honestly don't expect it to do well because of the type of game it is. It looks nice and somethign the Japanese may like, but it reminds me of Children of Mana.

And did anyone notice? The Fab/Four is no more! (NSMB, Animal Crossing, Brain Age 2 and Pokemon Diamond/Pearl)

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Smiles and Cries said:
I was thinking that the PSP would beat the DS lite this week for sure thanks to the Monster Hunter boost... hmmmm DS won't stop... STOP!

The sad part is that the initial sales boost from MHP2 will go back down to the status quo in a week.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
OK, there's one thing I find unclear about Dragon Quest Monster Joker. It disappeared completely from the top 30, but then it returned all the way back into the top 10. Why did this happen? Did they totally underestimate the sales of the game, or is there some kind of DS cart shortage going on? Or is it both, perhaps?

Top Bottom