• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

Xeke

Banned
Oh My Gawd said:
Wrong. PSP is up YoY in both US and Japan early 07 vs early 06', and just had it's biggest seller ever with MHP doing 700k in one week.

This doom and gloom crap has been around since Pokemon was supposed to kill opf the system in Japan. Guess what? Never happened. PSP is here to stay for a very long time, whether you like it or not.

You're right, I can still buy a Lynx ON ebay.

Sony says they shipped 4 million PS3, or so says this website:

http://www.kabutocho.net/news/livenews/dl_79854.html

Can anyone translate and confirm either way the accuracy and legitimacy of the source. Thanks.

edit: How much PS3 have they actually sold LTD based on media create and NPD numbers?

edit 2:

Here' is what babelfish says:

SONY (6758) secure.
The SONY computer entertainment (SCE) Chairman Taragi Hisashi last week end, "place t Shaun 3 (PS3) (in the world) made that 4000000 units were shipped" clear, that it was announced. Without reaching in 2000000 units of goal, point in time at of end of last year with the coming where also production passes being behind, it was. As for SCE you say that you aim toward the PS3 shipment 6000000 to the end of March.
The SONY stock price presently 6410 Yen (△ 60 Yen).

Ehhh...I think what kitchenmotors was getting at with his comment was that you could probably use MH's total as at least some kind of yardstick for what the audience base is on PSP. Obviously, it has exceeded the original already, so it's already a spectacular success, but I can't see it doing anything other than falling far from this week.

Should make over a million no problem, though. 1.2-1.3 seems reasonable, though it could be a little lower or a little higher. Should be very interesting to see how this has affected hardware sales, too.

edit: chibcicylist: In Japan? or Worldwide? I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to assume they've shipped about that many. Though if they have, I don't think they've even sold three quarters of it. (After checking, it appears not even half - Somehow I think their shipped numbers are closer to 3 mill than 4, but I have no basis for that other than intuition)

edit le deuxieme: A quick estimate would say about 935,000 in the US, and 656,968 in Japan according to Media Create.

Jonnyram

jarrod said:
Geez, it was an honest mistake. The Amir0x Jr. routine is cute though. :lol
Actually, after all that... you were right:
http://journal.mycom.co.jp/articles/2007/02/26/gmusou/

売り上げ目標としましてはバンダイナムコゲームスさんで100万、うちで100万、合計200万本を目指してまいります(笑)」と、かなりの自信を見せた。
Namco says 1 million, Koei says 1 million.
Total 2 million.
I can't tell if the article is joking about the total part, but there you have it.

Well, we made it to 9 pages... Probably might manage another one on the back of leaked numbers later.

MC threads are getting so predictable (in a good way) - it's like an old friend who always brings up the same topics whenever you visit.

Segata Sanshiro said:
edit: chibcicylist: In Japan? or Worldwide? I'd say it's perfectly reasonable to assume they've shipped about that many. Though if they have, I don't think they've even sold three quarters of it. (After checking, it appears not even half - Somehow I think their shipped numbers are closer to 3 mill than 4, but I have no basis for that other than intuition)

edit le deuxieme: A quick estimate would say about 935,000 in the US, and 656,968 in Japan according to Media Create.

Wollan is already doing the preemptive spin right here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144351

edit: I wanted to make the thread, but I'm still restricted. How long does the new topic restriction usually last anyway?

Oh My Gawd said:
Wrong. PSP is up YoY in both US and Japan early 07 vs early 06'
I've been avoiding the last few pages of this thread, but this is a factual inaccuracy.

US January 2006, 4 weeks: 180K, or 45K/week
US January 2007, 5 weeks: 211K, or 42K/week

Japan 2006, first 7 weeks: 337,683
Japan 2007, first 7 weeks: 337,618

Though PSP should start leading over 2006 thanks to MHP2.

Oh My Gawd said:
GTA, Battlefront, SOCOM, MPH 1, HSG, Ridge Racers and first Need for Speed. MHP 2 being #8.

PSP third party million sellers > DS third party million sellers, i thiink there have only been 3, maybe 4 worldwide correct? That's simply pathetic considering DS has sold 33-35 million~ consoles worldwide.

PSP having higher budget is the main reason average PSP game is $40. A PSP game that sells 200k brings in the same amount of money that a DS game that sells around 260k~, so budget cancels out considering more money is brought in with each game sold.

Of course PSP 2005 is going to be bigger than PSP 2006, considering the gigantic launch it had in the US and Europe.

First party sales were never in the discussion, and has nothing to do with support given to the system by third parties.

Gamecube IS NOT COMPARABLE to PSP. Period. PSP is more comparable to Ipod than Gamecube.

Hi mono.

Pureauthor said:
Well, we made it to 9 pages... Probably might manage another one on the back of leaked numbers later.

MC threads are getting so predictable (in a good way) - it's like an old friend who always brings up the same topics whenever you visit.

I'm happy you brought that up, because as I scanned the IGN article about Space Station Tycoon for the Wii, I just found something interesting:

Wii developer acknowledges the existence of non-gamers
IGN Wii: Does the title utilize the nunchuk attachment in any fashion?

Jeremy Throckmorton: We wanted to make the game extremely accessible, even to the non-gamer, and part of this goal led to us making the entire game playable with only the remote. Since we figured that everyone has at least one nunchuck though, we added some optional control to the nunchuck for players who want it.

So for those always talking about the nonexistence of nongames and nongamers, we have further proof you're wrong. :D

Well, I think that many people here have lost the sense of reality with MHP2. What I mean is that, in the last 2 years, the PSP's software sold really horrible, particulary in Japan.
The difference with the United States was that the PSP has had here his killer-app, i.e. GTA: Liberty City Stories.
What happened in Japan right now ? The PSP has finally found his first true killer-app: Monster Hunter Portable II (you can include the first one if you want, but it hasn't had the big effect of the second one).
Howewer, this doesn't mean that now the PSP is on track to become the leader or stupid statements like that. The DS is too ahead in both software and hardware in the entire world and all we can say is that MHP2 remind us in some ways "Ocarina of Time" for the N64.
And this is only one of the last signals that the PSP is not a failure at all, but it is the decline of the Playstation's brand and this is obviuos, because every empire decline sooner or later. Nothing dominates and lives forever.

Now, I think that you can agree with me if I say that no big software will come for the PSP in next months, but I'm sure that we'll probably see another big peaks like MHP2, exactly like the N64 has had a lot of games with great sales. So yeah, I expect some big annoncementes in the future, exactly like the N64. Capcom is, in some ways, the Rareware of the PSP.
The difference, perhaps, is that the first party line-up for the PSP is very very poor in comparison to the N64 and even the Gamecube, and this can be explained easily because Sony hasn't traditionally a big grip on their console with their game, but their strenght is due to the Third party Line-up. That's why we cannot expect enormous profits for Sony coming from the handheld (but the machine is profitable !).

So, the conclusion is quite clear: even if the PSP's MHP2 will sell 1.5+ millions, don't expect that it will have legs like on Nintendo DS and don't expect taht things will change in the handheld's war. Yeah, I know it is so stupid say this once time more, but a recall is in order.
The PSP is a success ? Absolutely ! Is it comparably to the Nintendo DS in both hardware and software in the world ? Not at all ! These are the fact guys !

.dmc

Banned
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The difference with the United States was that the PSP has had here his killer-app, i.e. GTA: Liberty City Stories.
What happened in Japan right now ? The PSP has finally found his first true killer-app: Monster Hunter Portable II (you can include the first one if you want, but it hasn't had the big effect of the second one).

Not the best example, the sequel to the the US 'killer app' bombed pretty hard against expectations, whereas MHP2 is exploding because of the fanbase encouraged by the previous game.

.dmc said:
Not the best example, the sequel to the the US 'killer app' bombed pretty hard against expectations, whereas MHP2 is exploding because of the fanbase encouraged by the previous game. Not too similar really.

That's not what I mean. I think you agree with me that if we search one killer-app for the PSP (i.e. a game that has driven PSP's sales and sold a lot) in the occident, we'll find GTA.
BEFORE Monster Hunter Portable 2, the PSP has had many great games in Japan that sold decently, but not a single killer-app. Now, the PSP has found it in MHP2.

In reality, we should wait to the hardware's numbers to classify better this game, but I have no doubts that PSP has gone up thanks to this game, even if I don't expect it to sell over 100k (after all, it is not the DS).

llTll

Banned
Error2k4 said:
pfff I did the same thing earlier... except I dont have mod powers ;(

trust me. you dont want them.

its really pain in the @ss to check msgs/threads/trolls/banned sites/banned words/etc

it takes the fun of being around.

ITA84

LanceStern said:
So for those always talking about the nonexistence of nongames and nongamers, we have further proof you're wrong. :D

I think the problem was just with the term 'non-games', not 'non-gamers'. But it's better to avoid this argument.

Top 2 are Playstation titles!

Too bad neither of them are from the Playstation Sony really needs to succeed right now.

And Defuser, your avatar gets creepier everytime you change it. :\

jarrod said:
Comeback!

ll_cool_j_250.jpg

"Don't call it a comeback...."

Burnst

ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Feb 19-25
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/28/103,1172652555,67814,0,0.html

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP)
2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri (PS2)
3. Fire Emblem Godess of Dawn (Wii)
4. Sim City (DS)
5. Professor Layton (DS)
6. Wii Sports (Wii)
7. Dragon Quest Monster Joker (DS)
8. Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Wii)
9. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)
EA doing baby steps in Japan.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
ziran said:
Famitsu Top 10 Feb 19-25
http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/28/103,1172652555,67814,0,0.html

1. Monster Hunter Portable 2 (PSP)
2. Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Matsuri (PS2)
3. Fire Emblem Godess of Dawn (Wii)
4. Sim City (DS)
5. Professor Layton (DS)
6. Wii Sports (Wii)
7. Dragon Quest Monster Joker (DS)
8. Naruto Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen EX (Wii)
9. Pokémon Diamond/Pearl (DS)
10. Wii Play (Wii)

Some love for everyone, with the 2 first spots for Sony, and 4 Wii games in the top 10.

Defuser

Pureauthor said:
Top 2 are Playstation titles!

Too bad neither of them are from the Playstation Sony really needs to succeed right now.

And Defuser, your avatar gets creepier everytime you change it. :\
It's call putting my photoshop into good use :p
I change it when i create something better

Ngeist

Jonnyram said:
Namco says 1 million, Koei says 1 million.
Total 2 million.
I can't tell if the article is joking about the total part, but there you have it.

It was a little joke during the event. A Namco-Bandai spokeperson said they're expecting "only" 1 million.

Given the consistency of weekly sales, is 2 million out of the question for Wii Sports or Wii Play?

Will Naruto surpass VF5's first week?

Will PSP sales be over 50k?

Exciting times... :D

Sho_Nuff82 said:
Given the consistency of weekly sales, is 2 million out of the question for Wii Sports or Wii Play?

Wii Sports, perhaps, but I thought Wii Play had started to tail off a little?

Will Naruto surpass VF5's first week?

God, if it does...

Will PSP sales be over 50k?

That would require them to nearly double, wouldn't it? It would be quite a leap, even with the massive sales of MH. Possible, though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Naruto only sold 20k in it's first day and FE only sold 50k, I'd be surprised if they reached 50k and 100k respectively.

Neomoto said:
Wow, only ONE Nintendo published ds game in the top 10. Nintendo doomed indeed!
Oh snap the rest are actually 3rd party titles. :lol

I don't see Higurashi having legs, so I think FE will outsell it over time. WOW at Sim City, Layton and DQM Joker.

MHP2, of course, needs no comment.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Roders5 said:
4/10 sure aint normal
You're going to have to see that a lot more if you don't count Nintendo systems together in the future. Especially after Wii Health comes out.

Jammy

Banned
Stormbringer said:
I just took a look at the latest shinobi blog update ; apparently ->

Monster Hunter Portable 2 - 750,000

DS Lite - 140,000
PSP - 100,000

Waiting for anyone to confirm or correct...

Nice sales for PSP. That's the closest it's been to the DS in a while. I wonder how well Wii performed. It has four of the top ten best-selling games and in some pictures of the launch of Monster Hunter Portable 2 you could see Wiis being shifted in the background.

I think some of us are underestimating MHP2. I am sure the previous one had really good legs. It was constantly in the top 30 for a while. Maybe I am wrong, somebody could check up. I really think it could hit 1.3 or something around that region.

Top Bottom