• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

... Fire Emblem was already on decline on the Gamecube, wasn't it?

Anyway I just wish they'd hurry up with FEDS.

Edit: And I hereby claim page 10.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Amazing sales for PSP and MHP 2. :)

ziran said:
MS has a great relationship with Capcom, so they would be wise to pay for an exclusive MH game for 360. It could sell a decent amount and would improve the install base in Japan.
Yes, MH is one of the biggest (if not the biggest) Capcom franchises right now and can move some good amount of hardware if Microsoft gets it exclusive.

Edit: what was the last Capcom game which sold more than 1m in Japan?
MHP 2 should do it easily.

ethelred

DeaconKnowledge said:
2. Why are people calling Fire Emblem a "bomb"? This title is completely in line to sell just as well if not better than its counterparts. 70k is pretty good, for that franchise.

It's not a bomb, but it's also not any of the BS you're spewing in sentences two and three. The first week numbers for the previous games in the series have been posted; please check those before saying this is completely in line to sell better than previous installments, or that 70k is a great start for FE.

LanceStern said:
EDIT: Let me correct this. It still might be too soon to say that, because a lot of launch systems have 1-2 titles that dominate while others are less-sold. The true test will be when Dragon Quest Swords appears. I honestly don't expect it to do well because of the type of game it is. It looks nice and somethign the Japanese may like, but it reminds me of Children of Mana.

That's just an obscene insult to DQS.

Wolf Beil

Banned
ethelred said:
For Fire Emblem? No.
So I found the first week sales of POR on the first few pages of this thread:

NGC Fire Emblem: Souen no Kiseki - Nintendo - 102,000 (new)
Considering how the Gamecube had a bigger userbase in Japan in 2005, I would say Fire Emblem Wii isn't a bomb by any means. Wii's userbase is growing swiftly, so this could have some legs.

Kiriku said:
OK, there's one thing I find unclear about Dragon Quest Monster Joker. It disappeared completely from the top 30, but then it returned all the way back into the top 10. Why did this happen? Did they totally underestimate the sales of the game, or is there some kind of DS cart shortage going on? Or is it both, perhaps?

They undershipped and the game was completly sold out one week. It then came back with new shipments, but those sold all sold out as well. Wax on, wax off

pitendo

Banned
i wonder how the new brain training for wii is going to affect its sales..
quick question:
release dates for wii brain academy and the 2 dragon quest games!thanks in advance!

One has to wonder how MH would sell on the DS.

Which raises the question... is it the Monster Hunter name alone that's selling, meaning it's truly a big-name franchise now, or is it the Monster Hunter name on the PSP that's selling?

Wolf Beil said:
So I found the first week sales of POR on the first few pages of this thread:

Considering how the Gamecube had a bigger userbase in Japan in 2005, I would say Fire Emblem Wii isn't a bomb by any means. Wii's userbase is growing swiftly, so this could have some legs.

Wii titles don't have legs unless it's Wii Sports or Play.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
LanceStern said:
They undershipped and the game was completly sold out one week. It then came back with new shipments, but those sold all sold out as well. Wax on, wax off

Yup, supply constraints tend to hold back systems.

LanceStern said:
Wii titles don't have legs unless it's Wii Sports or Play.

...or Zelda, which is still selling 7-10,000 a week, IIRC. Oh. and ISTR WarioWare hanging around the lower reaches of the charts for a little while as well.

A solid second week and a few weeks of continued sales at the lower end of the charts would see FE up over 100,000. Not as good as PoR, but not bad considering the circumstances.

Cosmonaut X said:
...or Zelda, which is still selling 7-10,000 a week, IIRC.

A solid second week and a few weeks of continued sales at the lower end of the charts would see FE up over 100,000. Not as good as PoR, but not bad considering the circumstances.

What circumstances? Wii is selling great and so is Wii Sports/Play, but other titles aren't getting booted out. 100k would NOT be good by any means. It reminds me of the start of Brain Age/Nintendogs/Any-type-of-training phenomenon. If they are going to pick up the budget pricd titles, they shoudl pick up some quality titles too.

I'm on the fence about Zelda. It debuted very small, and is climbing very slowly. It's legs are similar right now to Children of Mana, which got about 150k extra sales thanks to its legs.

I'll take a wait-and-see approach for Zelda. Show me the 600k Nintendo! Or rather, people in Japan who aren't buying the game for God-knows what reason

Hcoregamer00

LanceStern said:
I'll take a wait-and-see approach for Zelda. Show me the 600k Nintendo! Or rather, people in Japan who aren't buying the game for God-knows what reason

Maybe they don't like the realistic style?

Give them Celda and they will buy it in a truckload.

Cosmonaut X said:
...or Zelda, which is still selling 7-10,000 a week, IIRC. Oh. and ISTR WarioWare hanging around the lower reaches of the charts for a little while as well.

legs mean poping up on the top 10 of sales once in a while

I would not say Zelda has legs, Zelda is just Zelda

Thank you Smiles and Cries ^_^. Or at LEAST popping up into the Top 20 every so often.

starship said:
How do you know this?

Because the only titles we see nowadays are Wii sports and Wii play, while all other Wii titles (especially third parties) die at under 80k.

ethelred

LanceStern said:
It reminds me of the start of Brain Age/Nintendogs/Any-type-of-training phenomenon. If they are going to pick up the budget pricd titles, they shoudl pick up some quality titles too.

I continually laugh at hearing this from someone who pimps shitty children's licensed shovelware like no one's business.

Convinced anyone else to buy Over the Hedge lately? Rejoiced over the sales of NickToons Racing enough today?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Kiriku said:
OK, there's one thing I find unclear about Dragon Quest Monster Joker. It disappeared completely from the top 30, but then it returned all the way back into the top 10. Why did this happen? Did they totally underestimate the sales of the game, or is there some kind of DS cart shortage going on? Or is it both, perhaps?
Cart shortage, the game was out of stock with no restock for a pair of weeks, and it climbed back up when they finally pushed a few units to the stores.

starship

LanceStern said:
Thank you Smiles and Cries ^_^. Or at LEAST popping up into the Top 20 every so often.

Because the only titles we see nowadays are Wii sports and Wii play, while all other Wii titles (especially third parties) die at under 80k.
So you said Wii titles don't have legs because some 20-30 games (which most of them are crappy games FWIW) on a console which just launched less than 3 months ago didn't have legs?

Eteric Rice

Unfortunately, most of the Wii titles are shovelware.. I think if they'd give the Wii some more unique titles, it'd stay up there for quite a while.

LanceStern said:
What circumstances? Wii is selling great and so is Wii Sports/Play, but other titles aren't getting booted out. 100k would NOT be good by any means.

Do you ever stop to consider that the userbase isn't big enough to sustain your numbers? Wii Sports/Wii Play sells the same reason AC:WW/NSMB sold so well in their time - they were the games everyone knows about, and the quintessential 'get the system and a game' game.

FE is a niche franchise. The GCN sales took a hit for whatever reason - FEWii is on a much smaller userbase. 70K isn't good on absolute terms, but really, what more can you expect?

It reminds me of the start of Brain Age/Nintendogs/Any-type-of-training phenomenon. If they are going to pick up the budget pricd titles, they shoudl pick up some quality titles too.

Um, if people can pick up a budget price title and derive full enjoyment for it, why would they waste more money on other games?

I'm on the fence about Zelda. It debuted very small, and is climbing very slowly. It's legs are similar right now to Children of Mana, which got about 150k extra sales thanks to its legs.

You are telling me CoM didn't have legs? Oh, wow.

600K is the new 300K?

ethelred said:
I continually laugh at hearing this from someone who pimps shitty children's licensed shovelware like no one's business.

Convinced anyone else to buy Over the Hedge lately? Rejoiced over the sales of NickToons Racing enough today?

Actually I had planned to make a topic about the overall increase of quality of licensed video games. It really should be relooked over by us "real" gamers and find some titles that not only push very unique and excellent artstyles and 3D engines for systems, but also are a blast to play.

Some people may just be scared that they might enjoy licensed titles more than their precious AAA franchises.

Masklinn

LanceStern said:
What circumstances?
A low installed userbase compared to the Gamecube userbase in 2005 (seriously, how retarded can you get?)
starship said:
How do you know this?
He doesn't.
Smiles and Cries said:
legs mean poping up on the top 10 of sales once in a while
er... what?

That's not having legs, that's being a DS game, maybe I should remind you that the DS is like the twilight zone, once you enter it all regular logic becomes void, DQ:M becomes a non-game, anything that sells under 300k is complete bomba, stuff manages to sell 20k/week for more than 9 months straight, console outsells all the rest of the market combined, Eternal Easter, nintendo kills gaming, etc...

starship

Kafel said:
What's with Pokemon DS ?

Big sales for the DS lately ?
Pokemon was on the chart in the previous weeks too, of course according to Famitsu which combines sales of both SKUs.

Kafel

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
Square Enix better ship 2 million Dragon Quest IX first week or I'll be pissed

They should launch a huge pre-order campaign before to release the title, seriously.

LanceStern said:
What circumstances?

How about:

-- It's a game with limited appeal that has been on the decline for its previous couple of installments
-- It's launching on a system with a relatively small userbase

PoR did, what, 150,000 on a system with a 3-4 million userbase? 70,000 first week for this installment with the potential to break 100,000 isn't great, but given the position it isn't too bad either.

Amir0x

Banned
I mean i think 70k for Fire Emblem is shitty too, especially considering how awesome almost every FE game is (this is why I don't celebrate sales or the industry), but actually I don't think it's really bad in terms of the franchise.

One, they re-used assets from PoR that much is obvious. Heck, it started as a GCN game right? Development budget has to be pretty low for the game. If they meek out 100k+, I'm sure we'll get another down the road and that's what I am personally interested in.

Masklinn

Defuser said:
Actually it means staying there for a long time.
Zelda was a pity that it does not.
No, legs means selling well for a very long time, a game can sell well and stay out of the top 10.
Pureauthor said:
Do you ever stop to consider that the userbase isn't big enough to sustain your numbers?
Of course he doesn't.

Amir0x said:
I mean i think 70k for Fire Emblem is shitty too, especially considering how awesome almost every FE game is (this is why I don't celebrate sales or the industry), but actually I don't think it's really bad in terms of the franchise.

Have you played the Japanese-only FEs, Amir0x?

ethelred

LanceStern said:
Actually I had planned to make a topic about the overall increase of quality of licensed video games. It really should be relooked over by us "real" gamers and find some titles that not only push very unique and excellent artstyles and 3D engines for systems, but also are a blast to play.

Some people may just be scared that they might enjoy licensed titles more than their precious AAA franchises.

Oh, yeah, I'm absolutely petrified I may be bowled over by the astonishing quality in Bratz Horsez Adventurez. Quivering in my boots right here, right now.

Way to figure that one out. You nailed it.

Amir0x said:

One, they re-used assets from PoR that much is obvious. Heck, it started as a GCN game right? Development budget has to be pretty low for the game. If they meek out 100k+, I'm sure we'll get another down the road and that's what I am personally interested in.

Oh, I don't think it's too bad at all. It's a big decline in terms of first week sales for the recent franchise entries, but I'm not concerned about the game's ultimate sales being pretty good overall, and I'm not concerned about it being profitable for IntSys. I'm sure it is.

And I'm perfectly fine with them taking the Path of Radiance engine and using that to make a new game, because hey, if it helps them save money to keep delivering awesome titles in a niche franchise, I'm all for it.

Amir0x said:
only the ones that have been fan translated

Wait, I don't recall there ever being a complete patch for a single translated FE game... maybe FE6... it was 90% last I checked.

I wish Nintendo would just release a compilation for the DS or Wii or something. At least put it on Virtual Console! Argh. (Yeah, and the Famicom Wars series too. Can't forget that.)

While I acknowledge that it is likely that the quality of licensed games may have gone up in recent years (I suppose it's a matter of inevitability, considering it's pretty much the same game with a different skin every single time, they had to gain some experience), they still can't hold a candle to the best franchises and games of the 'good' devs.

Maybe during summer drought, if you're desperate. Maybe. :\

Masklinn

Cosmonaut X said:
IIRC, it works something like this:

300k+ for handhelds - SUCCESS!

600k+ for consoles - SUCCESS!

I don't recall why the difference, though...
Nonononono you got it wrong, the rules are like that:

If sales < 600k and console is Wii, result = BOMBA
if sales < 300k and handheld is DS, result = Nintendo third party #{current_year + 1}
if sales > 600k and console
if console is Wii, result = Well did ok I guess but I thought it would do better
else, result = GREAT SUCCESS!!!
if sales > 300k and handheld
if handheld is DS, result = Well did ok i guess but third party sales still shit
else, result = GREAT SUCCESS, DS DOMINATION FINALLY ENDING NON GAMES ARE DEAD

There, you have it, now you can understand the SDF posts.

Amir0x

Banned
Pureauthor said:
Wait, I don't recall there ever being a complete patch for a single translated FE game... maybe FE6... it was 90% last I checked.

I wish Nintendo would just release a compilation for the DS or Wii or something. At least put it on Virtual Console! Argh. (Yeah, and the Famicom Wars series too. Can't forget that.)

there is a 90% one that i played for GBA. Something Swords or Stones in the subtitle. That was the one I played that never came here

Pureauthor said:
Tell you what, I'll just copy out the section that applies to you in this case:

What is bullshit about what I said?

You think you are witty with your uh, no
but you made no corrections or points

Legs can mean staying in the top 40... but if you see a game spike to the top ten again after dropping off the charts every few months, you would not say it has legs?

starship said:
So you said Wii titles don't have legs because some 20-30 games (which most of them are crappy games FWIW) on a console which just launched less than 3 months ago didn't have legs?

Didn't I just say CoM got 150k extra sales BECAUSE OF ITS LEGS. Learn to read man.

And too many of you guys are responding to me at once, I can't answer them all and quote every single insult thrown at me. How about we save it for the NEXT MC topic (2/19 - 2/25) so it can get the pages it deserves?

Hcoregamer00

Masklinn said:
Nonononono you got it wrong, the rules are like that:

If sales < 600k and console is Wii, result = BOMBA
if sales < 300k and handheld is DS, result = Nintendo third party #{current_year + 1}
if sales > 600k and console
if console is Wii, result = Well did ok I guess but I thought it would do better
else, result = GREAT SUCCESS!!!
if sales > 300k and handheld
if handheld is DS, result = Well did ok i guess but third party sales still shit
else, result = GREAT SUCCESS, DS DOMINATION FINALLY ENDING NON GAMES ARE DEAD

There, you have it, now you can understand the SDF posts.

It's true.....sadly.

:lol

ethelred said:
It's not a bomb, but it's also not any of the BS you're spewing in sentences two and three. The first week numbers for the previous games in the series have been posted; please check those before saying this is completely in line to sell better than previous installments, or that 70k is a great start for FE.

&#12288;&#9660;&#12288;Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War 96.05.14 SFC 228,578 429,763 53.19 %
&#12288;&#9660;&#12288;Fire Emblem: Thracia 776 99.08.28 SFC 30,104 158,695 18.97 %
&#12288;&#9660;&#12288;Fire Emblem: Sword of Seals 02.03.29 GBA 126,267 345,574 36.54 %
&#12288;&#9660;&#12288;Fire Emblem (Sword of Fire) 03.04.25 GBA 109,429 265,286 40.12 %
&#12288;&#9660;&#12288;Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones 04.10.07 GBA 146,026 246,719 59.19 %
&#12288;&#9660;&#12288;Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance 05.04.20 GC 100,357 156,413 64.16%

PoR did 156,413 lifetime. You don't think a 70k first week is enough to beat that? It's obviously not going to reach the SNES glory days, but come on.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
LanceStern said:
What circumstances? Wii is selling great and so is Wii Sports/Play, but other titles aren't getting booted out. 100k would NOT be good by any means. It reminds me of the start of Brain Age/Nintendogs/Any-type-of-training phenomenon. If they are going to pick up the budget pricd titles, they shoudl pick up some quality titles too.

Why would they? Most of the non-gamers aren't buying a console to get these other "quality" titles, it's like asking why most PS2 games don't sell 1 million copies because of the 20 million install base, it's because most of the people buying one aren't interested in all the "quality" titles available on the system.

I think the Wii will be the same situation as the DS where only select 3rd party games will do well at first, like S-E titles. Then over time as the user base becomes much bigger other 3rd party games will start selling to a fraction of the install base they can grab the interest of, which will be fine since a fraction of a big install base can pull in some decent numbers.

Smiles and Cries said:
Legs can mean staying in the top 40... but if you see a game spike to the top ten again after dropping off the charts every few months, you would not say it has legs?

No, we'd call that erratic sales.

Legs means staying power, not the ability to jump. Sheesh.

Amir0x said:
there is a 90% one that i played for GBA. Something Swords or Stones in the subtitle. That was the one I played that never came here

Yeah, The Sealed Sword.

It's the worst of the GBA FEs, but still great.

Top Bottom