• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/12 - 2/18

jesusraz

Forgotten Ancient said:
They should've released a DS version first!

That I definitely agree with. And I have no doubt it's in the works...

Zelda hasn't really had legs. It's stayed in the top 50, but I think you're being a little generous. The 400k sales were pretty front-loaded in the first couple weeks of its lifecycle.

Hmm, I think it's done alright for a new system that is meant to be appealing to a 'new' audience more than anything. I really think it's the sort of game that will stick around for quite a while longer. As for Fire Emblem, I'm going for ~110,000 at the end of week one, and think it could be up there with the better selling entries into the series.

Here's hoping, anyway :)

jesusraz said:

Hmm, I think it's done alright for a new system that is meant to be appealing to a 'new' audience more than anything. I really think it's the sort of game that will stick around for quite a while longer. As for Fire Emblem, I'm going for ~110,000 at the end of week one, and think it could be up there with the better selling entries into the series.

Here's hoping, anyway :)

True - Zelda has a lifetime of Wii consumers to generate more sales. Hopefully Zelda won't get forgotten by future buyers. Then again, Zelda isn't usually a monster seller in Japan. The current 25%-ish attach ratio is respectable.

I hope you're right about the 110k first week sales. Hopefully it'll stick around the top 25 for awhile.

Jammy

Banned
Great sales for Monster Hunter Portable 2. Although, I have a hard time picturing the game as "AAA." Yeah, it sells well, but there's always consistent flaws in each game and reviews have been very unfavorable. Online would have been a big benefit.

cw_sasuke said:
phoenix wright 4 isn`t a big title? resi:uc for wii?

Lost Planet, Dead Rising, MH, DMC, and Resident Evil proper....

Those are heavy hitters. A Resident Evil spinoff and a glorified budget game isn't what I call appropriate support from two success stories like the DS and the Wii. Will Phoenix Wright 4 include serious cases and a stronger script, like realistic murder, rape, hate crime cases or all we looking at more goofy nonsense?

NintendosBooger said:

Those are heavy hitters. A Resident Evil spinoff and a glorified budget game isn't what I call appropriate support from two success stories like the DS and the Wii. Will Phoenix Wright 4 include serious cases and a stronger script, like realistic murder, rape, hate crime cases or all we looking at more goofy nonsense?

Keep that shit AWAY, and let it not taint the awesomeness that is Phoenix Wright, thank you very much.

Not to mention 'realistic murder'? What?

Rape? That'll go over real well with PW's audience.

Hate crime? Have you even played a Phoenix Wright game?

NintendosBooger said:

booger.gif

Pureauthor said:
Keep that shit AWAY, and let it not taint the awesomeness that is Phoenix Wright, thank you very much.

Not to mention 'realistic murder'? What?

Rape? That'll go over real well with PW's audience.

Hate crime? Have you even played a Phoenix Wright game?

Yes, and if they're going to move the franchise over to the Wii, it should be more than just a graphical enhancement of the DS games. I want big, more mature cases. I don't know why that guy mentioned Phoenix Wright as a big Wii game in comparison to titles like Lost Planet and Resident Evil 5. Capcom's offerings to the Wii and the DS as of late have been crap. If they think I'm going to buy their low-budget DS Turbo games on the Wii, they're sadly mistaken.

Odoroki is a foul imposter!

He'll be the murder victim in Case 2 and then Phoenix will have to take the stand again! *rock*

Yes, and if they're going to move the franchise over to the Wii, it should be more than just a graphical enhancement of the DS games. I want big, more mature cases. I don't know why that guy mentioned Phoenix Wright as a big Wii game in comparison to titles like Lost Planet and Resident Evil 5. Capcom's offerings to the Wii and the DS as of late have been crap. If they think I'm going to buy their low-budget DS Turbo games on the Wii, they're mistaken.

So much wrong with this post...

The discussion was specifically referencing both the Wii and the DS. In case you are somehow not aware, the PW4 comes out for the DS this year. PW has never been referenced as a Wii game by anyone except you, for some indiscernable reason.

Concerning the bolded statement, you have obviously never played a PW game, or if you have done so, you must have been half-asleep when playing. That, or you completely missed the point of the games.

Fire Emblem sales good for the userbase I suppose, hopefully it'll scamper up to 80 or 90k by the time the charts go up. Sad to see it take the hit as the early game that comes out a few months after launch and sells like **** just to establish a library, but oh well, IS will get their due with Paper Mario sales.

NintendosBooger said:
Will Phoenix Wright 4 include serious cases and a stronger script, like realistic murder, rape, hate crime cases or all we looking at more goofy nonsense?

WTF is this? Any enterprising GAFers have a "Get off my plane" image to use here?

I still hope regular Nintendo games continue to do well on the Wii.

I'm looking forward to playing games like Fire Emblem and Super Paper Mario. If the only thing that sells is garbage like Wii Play, then its a sad time for gaming. Performances of Nintendo games on the DS that aren't these new efforts are promising but we'll see.

Grecco

NintendosBooger said:
. Will Phoenix Wright 4 include serious cases and a stronger script, like realistic murder, rape, hate crime cases or all we looking at more goofy nonsense?

We seriously need a bang your head on the desk smiley/gif.

Pureauthor said:
The discussion was specifically referencing both the Wii and the DS. In case you are somehow not aware, the PW4 comes out for the DS this year. PW has never been referenced as a Wii game by anyone except you, for some indiscernable reason.

Concerning the bolded statement, you have obviously never played a PW game, or if you have done so, you must have been half-asleep when playing. That, or you completely missed the point of the games.

The discussion, initiated by me, was specifically referencing Capcom's inability to provide the DS and the Wii with stronger titles that don't include spin-offs and low budget games. If I wanted that garbage, I'd buy Ubisoft droppings. As for Phoenix Wright, the game is goofy, just like those Trauma Center games, in that they're not as serious or as indepth as they could be, at least for me.

The Experiment said:
I still hope regular Nintendo games continue to do well on the Wii.

I'm looking forward to playing games like Fire Emblem and Super Paper Mario. If the only thing that sells is garbage like Wii Play, then its a sad time for gaming. Performances of Nintendo games on the DS that aren't these new efforts are promising but we'll see.

Outside of certain franchises, the time of Nintendo made games dominating everything on Wii is past. Possibly new franchises could change this. DS is different....

gamergirly said:
Outside of certain franchises, the time of Nintendo made games dominating everything on Wii is past. DS is different....

The system came out just 3 months. And last I heard, Wii Sports, Zelda: TP, and Wii Play are still the top 3 hottest titles for the system. What are you smoking?

NintendosBooger said:
The discussion, initiated by me, was specifically referencing Capcom's inability to provide the DS and the Wii with stronger titles that don't include spin-offs and low budget games. If I wanted that garbage, I'd buy Ubisoft droppings.

Oh, this is precious.

Spinoffs and lowbudget games are the domain of Ubisoft? Ubisoft makes high-budget crap. Capcom and Atlus make relatively low-budget gems, at least on the DS and Wii. You have no idea what you're posting about.

As for Phoenix Wright, the game is goofy, just like those Trauma Center games, in that they're not as serious or as indepth as they could be, at least for me.

*rubs eyes*

I don't... this isn't... The Phoenix Wright... and Trauma Centre... they're not... and you...

Where do I even begin? There is just so much horrendously wrong with that statement.

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Wow @ Monster Hunter Portable 2 sales, 700k for the first week?
FE sales is alright, not great, not bad, just ok. It seems it can reach PoR sales at the end.

Fantastic MH sales, I was expecting 500k for the week but first day is something else. Can definitely see the PSP getting a massive shot in the arm, possibly even approaching 100k.

NintendosBooger said:
The system came out just 3 months. And last I heard, Wii Sports, Zelda: TP, and Wii Play are still the top 3 hottest titles for the system. What are you smoking?

Forgot the "outside of certain franchises" part? There's more than 3 games that released on the Wii the last 3 months. Wii is not DS, and Japan is not America.

Shanks

Anyone else worried about the Wiis third party future? It seems every third party game that comes out for it bombs like something fierce. The 360 and PS3 both have higher third party success than the Wii, and they have a much smaller user base.

Shanks said:
Anyone else worried about the Wiis third party future? It seems every third party game that comes out for it bombs like something fierce. The 360 and PS3 both have higher third party success than the Wii, and they have a much smaller user base.

WHAT?

What high-profile 3rd party games have there even been? You can't tank if you don't have anything to tank with!

Shanks said:

Im not worried. I just think that there's going to be a CLEAR difference between Japan and America's sales for Wii. We simply dont have the same tastes. 1st and 3rd party sales in general might end up great for both countries, but 3rd party sales could sell more significantly in Japan.

ethelred

MHP2's sales are, in all honesty, fantastic, and the game's going to zoom past a million. Quite an impressive feat given how most PSP software has been selling... kudos to Capcom, too. It's not every day that a new franchise this successful is formed.

Pureauthor said:
WHAT?

What high-profile 3rd party games have there even been? You can't tank if you don't have anything to tank with!

Maybe they haven't been high profile, but his point was correct -- both the 360 and the PS3 at this point have been better for third party games. The highest selling third party game on the Wii still lags (by a decent margin) behind the highest selling third party PS3 game, and I think it lags slightly behind the highest selling 360 game.

And aside from that highest selling third party Wii game, the rest of the stuff just really hasn't performed. When the Bloody Launch Day Massacre happened, I figured some of those games would at least go on to recoup higher sales as time passed, but they haven't.

gamergirly said:
Im not worried. I just think that there's going to be a CLEAR difference between Japan and America's sales for Wii. We simply dont have the same tastes. 1st and 3rd party sales in general might end up great for both countries, but 3rd party sales could sell more significantly in Japan.

That's not been the case so far. America has bought a whole lot more third party Wii software than Japan has.

ethelred said:
MHP2's sales are, in all honesty, fantastic, and the game's going to zoom past a million. Quite an impressive feat given how most PSP software has been selling... kudos to Capcom, too. It's not every day that a new franchise this successful is formed.

Maybe they haven't been high profile, but his point was correct -- both the 360 and the PS3 at this point have been better for third party games. The highest selling third party game on the Wii still lags (by a decent margin) behind the highest selling third party PS3 game, and I think it lags slightly behind the highest selling 360 game.

And aside from that highest selling third party Wii game, the rest of the stuff just really hasn't performed. When the Bloody Launch Day Massacre happened, I figured some of those games would at least go on to recoup higher sales as time passed, but they haven't.

That's not been the case so far. America has bought a whole lot more third party Wii software than Japan has.
I think his point is valid. You are comparing games like Virtua Fighter 5 (not best seller atm but should be in a few weeks) and DoA4 to Dragon Ball Z: The PS2 port. And I'm not even sure if DoA sold more than Dragon Ball did up until now. Blue Dragon would hardly be third party, no? I'm eager to see how Naruto and Sonic will do. Allthough I don't expect Naruto to move big numbers. As for Sonic? That's pretty much a wildcard.

fabprems

ethelred said:

http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4792&Itemid=2

"Ubisoft has announced year-on-year increases in major territories for its January sales.
The company told Parisian investors that it has notched up an 78% increase in the U.S with a 55% increase in the UK; 30% in France and 41% in Germany. Growth has been fuelled by its efforts in the booming Wii market including Rayman Raving Rabbids (pictured) and Red Steel."

fabprems said:
http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4792&Itemid=2

"Ubisoft has announced year-on-year increases in major territories for its January sales.
The company told Parisian investors that it has notched up an 78% increase in the U.S with a 55% increase in the UK; 30% in France and 41% in Germany. Growth has been fuelled by its efforts in the booming Wii market including Rayman Raving Rabbids (pictured) and Red Steel."

I believe he was mainly referring to Japan's 3rd party sales. This is the MC thread afterall, and he did state that Wii 3rd party sales are better in North America than Japan.

jj984jj said:
Given that there was a bundle I'd say undoubtedly.
But to 100 or 150K? We're a bit desensitized due to what DS has done in the last year, but things like that don't happen easily for any system outside of holiday periods. Taking a quick scan through old Famitsu data, it seems like PS2 was bumped above 100K for a few releases like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest. Considering this is PSP, not the first of the series to appear on the system, and not selling multiple millions on its first week, it seems the chances to go that high are lowered.

Eteric Rice

I'd buy more third party games if there'd be more effort put into them. For instance, I would have bought COD3 if it wasn't apparent that they rushed the hell out of it.

I suppose it's fine, though. COD3 is meant to be an online title. I'll wait for 4, and hope Nintendo's online is finished by then.

sphinx

the piano man
I bet that after MPH2'S success, 3rd parties will begin making press statement like

" Konami is glad to announce 5 more psp exclsuives "
" Sega shifting the shifted DS support back to PSP.. 3rd parties SELL!! "

sphinx

the piano man
duderon said:
~35 million, probably a little more.

10 mil US
10 mil EU
15 mil JPN

that's in around 2 years and 4 months, isn't it?

that is very promising.

It could match playstation numbers at the end of its cycle. One sure thing is that it will be nintendo's most succesful piece of hardware ever.

if only US wasn't so reluctant to buy it..

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
NintendosBooger said:
As for Phoenix Wright, the game is goofy, just like those Trauma Center games, in that they're not as serious or as indepth as they could be, at least for me.

180px-Fishburne_morpheus_matrixrevolutions.jpg

then I am grateful... that they are not for you.

Maridia

NintendosBooger said:

AHAHAHAHAHAHA

jesusraz said:

I seriously doubt that.

sphinx said:
I bet that after MPH2'S success, 3rd parties will begin making press statement like

" Konami is glad to announce 5 more psp exclsuives "
" Sega shifting the shifted DS support back to PSP.. 3rd parties SELL!! "

I wouldn't be surprised.

Brak

duderon said:
~35 million, probably a little more.

10 mil US
10 mil EU
15 mil JPN
That breakdown will be really interesting at this time next year. Nintendo is planning on shipping over 25 mil DSL and who knows how that is going to be divided among the territories.

I don't think it's impossible for Europe to double their userbase if Nintendo ships them enough. The DS seems to be gaining a lot of momentum over there, especially in France, Germany, and the UK.

fresquito

Brak said:
That breakdown will be really interesting at this time next year. Nintendo is planning on shipping over 25 mil DSL and who knows how that is going to be divided among the territories.

I don't think it's impossible for Europe to double their userbase if Nintendo ships them enough. The DS seems to be gaining a lot of momentum over there, especially in France, Germany, and the UK.
Well, Pokemon is launching this year in Europe and NA, so I can see DS doubling its user base without much of a problem. Brain Training 2 hasn't been released here either, so...

ethelred

Well, for those who've been following the "Will Atlus ever ship/sell a decent amount of Sekaiju" Saga (IE, me, ducky, and Magicpaint), Famitsu puts the game at 61k now through 02/11.

Progress, people!

I was expecting more for Zelda. Not really expecting, but hoping for Wii Sports/Play success, it really deserves it. That 300k is DS and handhelds.

jesusraz

Chris Michael said:
I seriously doubt that.

Any particular reasoning behind that or are you just being against the comment for no viable reason?

Intelligent Systems has finished with WarioWare: Smooth Moves, completed Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn and since Super Paper Mario is out in April I presume development is fast wrapping up on that as well. So what next? Probably not a Paper Mario for DS just yet, Panel de Pon DS is likely by them...but it IS an old puzzle game just spruced up slightly. Hardly enough to prevent work starting on FE DS. Anything else they're doing that I'm obviously missing?

Top Bottom