• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

Bebpo

Banned
PS3s won't sell because at 50000yen (assuming they're even shipping 20gigs, or 60000yen if it's just 60gigs like the US) 15 year old high school musou fan kid has no ****ing way possible of buying it. Neither does Mr. musou-loving businessman whose wife will kill him if he spends that much on a game system.

PS3 software won't sell a million until PS3 hardware is at least at 8-10 million. PS3 hardware won't be at 8-10 million until Sony drops the price to 30000yen or below. Sony won't do that though, so they'll just get what they finally deserve for being a terrible evil company that ****s consumers over and they'll get knocked out of the market and go 3rd party for MS and Nintendo. They deserve it too after what they've pulled this gen, stealing from Nintendo and now MS while charging ridiculous amounts of money.

Hopefully all the 3rd parties drop Sony in the next month or two. I'm getting sick of PS3 announcements while everyone is ignoring the obvious market leader Wii. Maybe by summer every Japanese studio will be announcing Wii games and as Nintendo fans we'll finally get the 3rd party support we've deserved for the last 10 years. :D

Bebpo said:
PS3s won't sell because at 50000yen (assuming they're even shipping 20gigs, or 60000yen if it's just 60gigs like the US) 15 year old high school musou fan kid has no ****ing way possible of buying it. Neither does Mr. musou-loving businessman whose wife will kill him if he spends that much on a game system.

PS3 software won't sell a million until PS3 hardware is at least at 8-10 million. PS3 hardware won't be at 8-10 million until Sony drops the price to 30000yen or below. Sony won't do that though, so they'll just get what they finally deserve for being a terrible evil company that ****s consumers over and they'll get knocked out of the market and go 3rd party for MS and Nintendo. They deserve it too after what they've pulled this gen, stealing from Nintendo and now MS while charging ridiculous amounts of money.

Hopefully all the 3rd parties drop Sony in the next month or two. I'm getting sick of PS3 announcements while everyone is ignoring the obvious market leader Wii. Maybe by summer every Japanese studio will be announcing Wii games and as Nintendo fans we'll finally get the 3rd party support we've deserved for the last 10 years. :D
*sarcasm meter bursts into 1000 pieces*

Varjet

Bebpo said:

Come on, it isn't that bad
yet

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Bebpo said:
If Musou fans can spend nearly $200 on Sangoku Musou 4 alone I'm sure they could cough up an extra $250 for a PS3 if they wanted one.

Kafel

Banned
jj984jj said:
If Musou fans can spend nearly $200 on Sangoku Musou 4 alone I'm sure they could cough up an extra $250 for a PS3 if they wanted one.

True fans wouldn't trade in their 4 copies of SM4.

RaijinFY said:
That sounds so wrong...

And why Media Create threads are so huge now?

pokeman 10m sold = cute monster collecton

mhp2 1m an upper sold = real monster collecton.

gt hp = shiney car collecton.

STOP MAKE SINGE PLAYER CONSOLE GAMES GOW SYPHON FILTER MOH MUSOU WARRIORS GTA FOR PSP!

portable != ps2!

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:

And those $200 SM4 packs sure sold hundreds of thousands right? ...@_@

Look at the sales of the last real Musou game, and supposedly one of the best in the series, Sengoku Musou 2...pretty average. A lot of people have gotten bored of the repetitive Musou titles where you just mash O for hours and hours. Just throwing in Gundam won't save it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Jonnyram said:
Sinobi says Gundam Musou sold 120k day one, but it hardly had an impact on hardware sales.
Super Robot Wars W sold 100k day one.

Thats okay, it will have legs that will push total sales like Brain Training or Animal Crossing

Just wait for Monster Hunter Not so portable to come out on the PS3

creamsugar said:
Japan February Sales (Famitsu)

Wii 296,338
PS3 85,812
Xbox360 18,629

DS Lite 617,981
DS use 115 weeks cross 15 Million (PS2 use 220 Weeks)

Software
1.Nintendo (Total 1,485,943)
2.Capcom (MHP2 746,313)
3.Sega
Those are really Famitsu numbers? What's your source? It seems odd to me for a few reasons.

1) We only have weekly Famitsu data through the week of February 12, which gives us 3 weeks of calendar February numbers (which don't match those totals) or 2 weeks of February numbers if we make it similar to the NPD periods (which don't match those totals). Even if we arbitrarily add the last 4 weeks of known numbers, it doesn't match those totals.

2) Perhaps there's a huge flaw in my Famitsu data, but I've got PS2 passing 15 million at 245 weeks.

duderon said:
I don't think it's blasphemous to say that the DS may hit that in its lifetime.
Honestly, at this point I think it's crazier to say it won't pass 32.5 million in its lifetime. Consider the following historical and proposed years... (MC numbers)

2004: 1.39 million, total of 1.39 million
2005: 4.15 million, total of 5.65 million
2006: 8.36 million, total of 14.00 million

So far it's bigger than last year, with no indication of things taking a downturn. This number is a conservative prediction.
2007: 9.00 million, total of 23.00 million

Let's say for reasons unknown, DS then drops big, and continues slowing down each year.
2008: 4.00 million, total of 27.00 million
2009: 3.00 million, total of 30.00 million
2010: 2.00 million, total of 32.00 million
2011: 1.00 million, total of 33.00 million

FrankT

Hcoregamer00 said:
Thats okay, it will have legs that will push total sales like Brain Training or Animal Crossing

Just wait for Monster Hunter Not so portable to come out on the PS3

When are we going to get past this just wait for stuff? It's beginning to look very much like a very faulty circular argument week after week.

FrankT

gamergirly said:
That's colder than the arctic winter

I'm sorry bro, that's just my theory at this point. If they can knock out some serious price cuts within the next year they will pick up in the hardware department, but as it is now it looks as if the price point may remain for this year.

Durante

Bebpo said:

You win the thread.

jj984jj

Bebpo said:
And those $200 SM4 packs sure sold hundreds of thousands right? ...@_@

Look at the sales of the last real Musou game, and supposedly one of the best in the series, Sengoku Musou 2...pretty average. A lot of people have gotten bored of the repetitive Musou titles where you just mash O for hours and hours. Just throwing in Gundam won't save it.
Actually I'm looking at how the original games does an how the original release, expansions and original+expansion combined rereleases do. So Sangoku Musou 4, XL, & Empires, which sold very well according to Famitsu and means fans are so dedicated to the series they are willing to fork over the cash to buy it more than once for some extra content. If we take a look at Sengoku Musou 2 it did over 500k, I guess that is what you'd call average on the PS2 or maybe you treat Empires as a completely new installment?

firefoxsux said:

STOP MAKE SINGE PLAYER CONSOLE GAMES GOW SYPHON FILTER MOH MUSOU WARRIORS GTA FOR PSP!

portable != ps2!

WTF?

LOCK

Nintendo did great this week. :)

And the DS is a beast.

I guess we can let the PSP rival in its glory for a little bit. And poor poor PS3. Bail out third parties, bail out.

Kafel said:
What exactly is your avatar ?

a kanji traning game for DS, called Nazotte Oboeru Otona no Kanji Rensshu

there is a topic about kanji training game for DS, if you are interested take a look :)

JoshuaJSlone: they can be Famitsu numbers, even if we only have the chart ending on Feb.18, Famitsu published on wednesday the chart (without numbers) about February last week.
I think they have data as MC has, but they publish one week later.

I'm sure of it cause this January we got LTD sales for 2006 even if they didn't publish yet the last chart of the year, the same way it happened today.

The Sphinx said:
It'll be interesting to see how the contest between Super Robot Taisen W, Gundam Musou, and MHP2 shakes out.

1- MHP2
2- Gundam
3- SRT:W

but pos.2 and 3 could switch, i'm only sure about MHPs2 on 1st place (around 200k, cause any news about a million units sold yet)

Bebpo

Banned
jj984jj said:
Actually I'm looking at how the original games does an how the original release, expansions and original+expansion combined rereleases do. So Sangoku Musou 4, XL, & Empires, which sold very well according to Famitsu and means fans are so dedicated to the series they are willing to fork over the cash to buy it more than once for some extra content. If we take a look at Sengoku Musou 2 it did over 500k, I guess that is what you'd call average on the PS2 or maybe you treat Empires as a completely new installment?

500k for Lifetime Musou is just alright. Back in the day they were opening at well above that number. Gundam Musou will probably hit 300k lifetime, which isn't that large of drop from SM2 considering the much smaller userbase.

Joe Molotov

RaijinFY said:
And why Media Create threads are so huge now?

The real question is: Why isn't it huger? Why are you people posting in other threads when you've got the Media Create thread right here in front of you!?

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Nintendo just knows the japanese market too well, they knew a cheap console with some sort of new controller or new way to play games that set it apart from the competion was enough to be sucessful they went with that and succeeded.

sony made too many mistakes guess the 3rd generation curse is still alive. I love my PS2 and I loved what sony did for the industry but 600 bucks consoles is just too much, powerful brand can only take you so far.

jj984jj

Bebpo said:
500k for Lifetime Musou is just alright. Back in the day they were opening at well above that number. Gundam Musou will probably hit 300k lifetime, which isn't that large of drop from SM2 considering the much smaller userbase.
So Gundam Musou is doing okay because it might tread its way to 300k eventually when the install base grows because of the install base being smaller now?

I wonder why so many people believe that the increase in PSP sales is related to the release of Monster Hunter 2 and not to the release of PSP new color "gold" ???

Neomoto

oldie-newbie said:
I wonder why so many people believe that the increase in PSP sales is related to the release of Monster Hunter 2 and not to the release of PSP new color "gold" ???
Well, I for one because I didn't know that it was released. It's a real shame though, that the PSP still coudn't come closer to the DS with their biggest game released AND a new color for PSP. Still good numbers for PSP.

PS3 Gundam Musou - 120.000 (67%)

NDS Super Robot Taisen W - 110.000 (54%)
Excellent, wonder how much of a hardware boost the PS3 has had (yes I know that it was stated that it most likely woudn't be much).

johnsmith

remember me
Error said:
sony made too many mistakes guess the 3rd generation curse is still alive. I love my PS2 and I loved what sony did for the industry but 600 bucks consoles is just too much, powerful brand can only take you so far.

And 4th generations are usually good systems but with market share problems (DC/GC). Dark times ahead for Sony fans. I'm sure things will turn around for the PS5 in 2017.

Moor-Angol said:
JoshuaJSlone: they can be Famitsu numbers, even if we only have the chart ending on Feb.18, Famitsu published on wednesday the chart (without numbers) about February last week.
I think they have data as MC has, but they publish one week later.
Ahh, so the Famitsu 2/19 - 2/25 sales would be...
Wii: 88,338
PS3: 21,558
X360: 4,062
DSL: 134,088

Though the week 220/245 discrepancy is still odd. Has Famitsu been know to alter their old numbers?

Bebpo

Banned
johnsmith said:
And 4th generations are usually good systems but with market share problems (DC/GC). Dark times ahead for Sony fans. I'm sure things will turn around for the PS5 in 2017.

Yes. Because judging by the Wii and the PS3, there is no uncertainty in the market @_@

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Bebpo said:
Yes. Because judging by the Wii and the PS3, there is no uncertainty in the market @_@

If sony takes a beating, maybe they will learn that charging $600 for a console is not a good idea and maybe charge a "normal" price of $300-400 for a next gen console.

Wiitard

Banned
So it seems PS3 is settling for at best Gamecube status in Japan but with much hight development prices. I cannot possibly imagine RPG developers (not on Sony's payroll) who were still considering PS3 bailing out this very moment. Given that RPGs take quite some time to develop, even if the tide completely turns with FF13, it will already be too late.

The interesting question is: will Sony refocus it's efforts, game development-wise, now on the West, where it still has a hope and even if it does, will it be able to have fruits early enough to make a difference (I suspect the answrs to that are: maybe and no).

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
Wiitard said:
So it seems PS3 is settling for at best Gamecube status in Japan but with much hight development prices. I cannot possibly imagine RPG developers (not on Sony's payroll) who were still considering PS3 bailing out this very moment. Given that RPGs take quite some time to develop, even if the tide completely turns with FF13, it will already be too late.

The interesting question is: will Sony refocus it's efforts, game development-wise, now on the West, where it still has a hope and even if it does, will it be able to have fruits early enough to make a difference (I suspect the answrs to that are: maybe and no).

The question is, will Square Enix do FFXIII for the Wii? That would be the end for the PS3.

Bebpo

Banned
tanasten said:
The question is, will Square Enix do FFXIII for the Wii? That would be the end for the PS3.

Yes! Like you suggest, I've been hearing rumors from within the planks that FFXIII 'is' being moved towards a Wii port or eventually a Wii exclusive release.

don't tell anyone though!

sphinx

the piano man
tanasten said:

The most likely solution for SE if PS3 keeps flopping is making a couple of FXIII spin-offs on Wii. It works with DS, it should work with Wii.

possibly make a 360 port of the original FFXIII on US and Europe is another possibility, that's highly unlikely though.

Wiitard

Banned
It does not seem that even FF13 can save PS3 as far as develpment of huge, very expensive games is concerned. Right now developing one of those aimed at Japanese market for PS3
is no just stupid or somewhat misguided but outright crazy. Even if Square gets enough money from Sony to keep FF13 on PS3 and even if FF13 will sell beyond the wildest expectations, it will be too late.

Btw, GC had some good games. If they lose FF13 we will be talking about Dreamcast, not GC (at least as far as Japan goes).

Now Sony still has the Euro launch. If it goes much, much better then the US launch they might still be able to hang on a bit longer. But Japan is lost. There is no other way of looking at it.

pitendo

Banned
Wiitard said:
It does not seem that even FF13 can save PS3 as far as develpment of huge, very expensive games is concerned. Right now developing one of those aimed at Japanese market for PS3
is no just stupid or somewhat misguided but outright crazy. Even if Square gets enough money from Sony to keep FF13 on PS3 and even if FF13 will sell beyond the wildest expectations, it will be too late.

Btw, GC had some good games. If they lose FF13 we will be talking about Dreamcast, not GC (at least as far as Japan goes).

Now Sony still has the Euro launch. If it goes much, much better then the US launch they might still be able to hang on a bit longer. But Japan is lost. There is no other way of looking at it.

never underestimate them..although i hope they lose everything,maybe they will rise from the dead..who knows..

Wiitard

Banned
It must really suck to be sony right know there are two, arguably even 3 companies, who can kill the PS3 in a single press conference: Square, Konami and Capcom (a bit less so). And they know it. And I'm sure they are playing their position for all it's worth behind the scenes. It will be very interesting to find out how much they manage to extort from Sony. Btw, not sure the deal with Immersion is sending the right signal about not succumbing to blackmail.

xaosslug

firefoxsux said:

portable != ps2!

and at this point, I point out your tag. Seriously, W.T.F...?

Bebpo said:
Yes! Like you suggest, I've been hearing rumors from within the planks that FFXIII 'is' being moved towards a Wii port or eventually a Wii exclusive release.

don't tell anyone though!

:lol

Bebpo

Banned
pitendo said:
never underestimate them..although i hope they lose everything,maybe they will rise from the dead..who knows..

spoton.gif

Totally agree man. Time for them to burn for their evils!

Deku

Banned
tanasten said:

Given the R&D invested its unlikely, but who knows. All we've seen of the game is a trailer and S-E is in a good position to place at least one FFXIII in each major platform, though the 360 edition would most certainly be for western audiences primarily.

Of course conventional thinking would have us believe this won't happen.

Wiitard

Banned
Bebpo said:
Totally agree man. Time for them to burn for their evils!

You don't want them to drop out of the industry do you? I'm getting kinda worried that this is where they are headed.

Jiggy

Wiitard said:
You don't want them to drop out of the industry do you? I'm getting kinda worried that this is where they are headed.
That's probably about as likely as Nintendo going third-party. They have too much in reserve, financially, to drop out.

Top Bottom