• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
XiaNaphryz said:
wiihaa.gif
<3 so hot

Vargas

Wiitard said:
It must really suck to be sony right know there are two, arguably even 3 companies, who can kill the PS3 in a single press conference: Square, Konami and Capcom (a bit less so). And they know it. And I'm sure they are playing their position for all it's worth behind the scenes. It will be very interesting to find out how much they manage to extort from Sony. Btw, not sure the deal with Immersion is sending the right signal about not succumbing to blackmail.

You heard it here first folks, MGS4 for the DS!!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Vargas said:
You heard it here first folks, MGS4 for the DS!!
I'm sure that was already suggested in past Media Create threads...though not as much as "FFXIII on DS!" has been mentioned.

duckroll

Someone made a booboo translating yesterday's retailer comments. Here's what Sinobi actually said:

Gundam Musou initial shipment = 170-180k, sold 70% so far.

SRW W initial shipment = 200+k, sold about 50% so far, next shipment at end of March.

Here are the numbers from Neoplay on first day sales:

Gundam Musou: 120k (67%)
SRW W: 110k (54%)

Link

The Autumn Wind
tanasten said:
The question is, will Square Enix do FFXIII for the Wii? That would be the end for the PS3.
If anything, and I seriously stress the word "if" here, FFIX will be for the Wii. SE isn't going to just scrap all the work they've put into FFXIII already. It would be a disaster.

XiaNaphryz said:
Haha, what's this from?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
That's what I'm trying to figure out myself...I first saw it in the Ayumi Hamasaki Wario Ware thread.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Farore said:
Here is an avatar I made, if someone wants it... be my guess...

216983wiihaa.gif

I made one of the other girl for myself...
:lol

Can you do the other one too?

jj984jj

Farore said:
I made one of the other girl for myself :p ...
Or do you mean something else?
I believe we both mean the girl in black, I want to see her since she made the better reaction. :p

Parl

JoshuaJSlone said:
Those are really Famitsu numbers? What's your source? It seems odd to me for a few reasons.

1) We only have weekly Famitsu data through the week of February 12, which gives us 3 weeks of calendar February numbers (which don't match those totals) or 2 weeks of February numbers if we make it similar to the NPD periods (which don't match those totals). Even if we arbitrarily add the last 4 weeks of known numbers, it doesn't match those totals.

2) Perhaps there's a huge flaw in my Famitsu data, but I've got PS2 passing 15 million at 245 weeks.

Honestly, at this point I think it's crazier to say it won't pass 32.5 million in its lifetime. Consider the following historical and proposed years... (MC numbers)

2004: 1.39 million, total of 1.39 million
2005: 4.15 million, total of 5.65 million
2006: 8.36 million, total of 14.00 million

So far it's bigger than last year, with no indication of things taking a downturn. This number is a conservative prediction.
2007: 9.00 million, total of 23.00 million

Let's say for reasons unknown, DS then drops big, and continues slowing down each year.
2008: 4.00 million, total of 27.00 million
2009: 3.00 million, total of 30.00 million
2010: 2.00 million, total of 32.00 million
2011: 1.00 million, total of 33.00 million

Uh-huh. But it is, of course, very unlikely so the situation looks more like.

2007: 10 ML, LTD 24 ML
2008: 8 ML, LTD 32 ML
2009: 7.5 ML, 39.5 ML
2010: 6.5 ML, 46 ML (New Nintendo handheld release at end of year)
2011: 3.5 ML, 49.5 ML (DS is dying)
2012: 2 ML, 51.5 ML

Pulled out of my ass, but I just said "wow" at potential 50 million for DS in Japan. Then again, I predicted that DS would sell at least 120 ML worldwide by end of 2012 about half a year ago; they manufacture 30 million per year.

jj984jj

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
DS is what?

You know that they would have to sell 65.000 units weekly to meet 3.5m in a year, don't you? If thats dying...
His whole prediction is pretty laughable, more than a third of Japan buying a DS? I don't think Nintendo can extend gaming that far.

Kafel

Banned
jj984jj said:
His whole prediction is pretty laughable, more than a third of Japan buying a DS? I don't think Nintendo can extend gaming that far.

Not necessarily but it could have been correct if the DS had reliability issues.

For a while now, Nintendo, Iwata in particular, has been going on about the importance of putting too much pressure on the game industry, and its directly proportional, need to succeed. He has said that by making games larger, and by increasing there budgets, you are forcing developers to make a game that must succeed, and does that game flop, the company immedietly goes into a very tight situation financially. Also cost of entry for the PS3 is much higher than the cost of entry for the Wii, which also adds to a game development budget. Not only is this going to reduce the amount of developers out there, but also the originality of their games. Fewer risks will be taken, and proven formulas will be used over and over again, especially where budgets are high. Now Iwata told everyone this. It wasn't as if he kept the secret to Nintendo only, although he could have. He decided its for the better good of the industry, also he said it to justify all his design choices in current products. If anyone Sony should have listened, now nobody wants to make a game, even a mediocre game is going to cost a lot of money, and the risk just isn't worth it. If I were SE I would abort FF13. It can't be that far into development. I mean 12 is still just got released in Europe. I think they can't have spent much on it so far, and it only seems logical to release it on Wii. Sony moved too far ahead. And unfortunately, gaming is an expensive form of entertainment, and needs to sell to the widest audience possible.

naranjito

Banned
the thoroughbred said:
For a while now, Nintendo, Iwata in particular, has been going on about the importance of putting too much pressure on the game industry, and its directly proportional, need to succeed. He has said that by making games larger, and by increasing there budgets, you are forcing developers to make a game that must succeed, and does that game flop, the company immedietly goes into a very tight situation financially. Also cost of entry for the PS3 is much higher than the cost of entry for the Wii, which also adds to a game development budget. Not only is this going to reduce the amount of developers out there, but also the originality of their games. Fewer risks will be taken, and proven formulas will be used over and over again, especially where budgets are high. Now Iwata told everyone this. It wasn't as if he kept the secret to Nintendo only, although he could have. He decided its for the better good of the industry, also he said it to justify all his design choices in current products. If anyone Sony should have listened, now nobody wants to make a game, even a mediocre game is going to cost a lot of money, and the risk just isn't worth it. If I were SE I would abort FF13. It can't be that far into development. I mean 12 is still just got released in Europe. I think they can't have spent much on it so far, and it only seems logical to release it on Wii. Sony moved too far ahead. And unfortunately, gaming is an expensive form of entertainment, and needs to sell to the widest audience possible.

are you serious?
wasnt it said they've been developing it for a few years, building an engine from the ground up, etc etc? i somehow doubt cancelling the whole thing and doing it for the Wii all over would be economically viable.

Parl

jj984jj said:

Well, my more realistic "prediction" would have to be more like 40 million, but that could be because of internal conservatism. A mechanism that has made me low-ball my predictions (which were optimistic compared to others's) when concerning DS, so screw that.

Still, 50 million, to me, doesn't seem that much out of the question. I'd expect, by then, that nearly every last person who owned a DS Tank to have purchased a DS Lite, so we can slice off a good 5 or 6 million. 45 million out of 130 million people? 35% of Japanese public? Very significant, I must say, but I suspect the DS's influence in Japanese culture will continue to grow with more and more WOM, etc. Nintendo are doing a very good job of changing the image of what "gaming" devices are all about. Its sales would be remarkable even if it wasn't in shortage all the time; its scary that it would sell more if the supply was there.

Well, DS made it to 15 million nearly twice as fast as PS2 did, and with there probably being more DSs per household than PS2s, then I think its popularity can continue, especially with an eventual price drop if/when demand goes down a lot.

I call that DS reaches 45 million before end of 2012 in Japan, but I'm probably gonna have to admit I really think it can get to 50 million.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
DS is what?

You know that they would have to sell 65.000 units weekly to meet 3.5m in a year, don't you? If thats dying...

Well, more like 50,000 per week and boosts for Christmas, making the year effectively 16 months at 50,000 per week. And also with new game releases, that will bump it up more in those weeks, which would mean DS only needs about 45,000 in each typical week to make 3.5 million in the year. Compared to what it sells now, that's dying. Unless you wanna take the perspective that DS currently has the life of many, and when it "dies down" it'll be chugging along like a regular innocent console.

creamsugar

MC 2/19 - 2/25

20&#12288;DS&#12288;MarioKartDS&#12288;17,000&#12288;2,105,000
63&#12288;DS&#12288;FFIII&#12288;3,800&#12288;995,000
61&#12288;DS&#12288;EtrianOdyssey&#12288;4,800&#12288;67,000
60&#12288;PS3&#12288;VF5&#12288;4,800&#12288;63,000
99&#12288;360&#12288;The Idol Master&#12288;1,700&#12288;31,000&#12288;(2/12 - 2/18&#65289;

DS CookingMama 20,000

Wii
Zelda&#12288;8,000&#12288;402,000
ExciteTruck&#12288;3,700&#12288;54,000
DBZ&#12288;3,100&#12288;108,000
Ennichi no Tatsujin&#12288;2,400&#12288;72,000

ziran

the thoroughbred said:
I think there is a possibilty of a Wii verison, but a PS3 version is certain at the moment.

FFXIII is PS3's ultimate system seller, and I don't believe SE will drop it. Even if PS3 and Wii hw sales continue as they have been doing, or Wii starts to outsell PS3 by even more, I still doubt it will happen, Sony and SE sound pretty tight on this one.

However, if it ends up selling lower than is expected of a main FF game, i.e. lower than ~2.5 million in Japan, expect a Wii port and window seats for those at SE who believed in the project, including Wada.

creamsugar said:
MC 2/19 - 2/25

99&#12288;360&#12288;The Idol Master&#12288;1,700&#12288;31,000&#12288;(2/12 - 2/18&#65289;

DS CookingMama 20,000

Wii
Thanks.

MKDS sales continue to be excellent and FFIII moves ever closer to the 1 million mark. Nice sales for Etrian Odyssey, much better than I thought. Also good to see Zelda pass 400k, DBZ and Ennichi no Tatsujin sales are decent and a good sign for 3rd parties.

VF5 sales continue to be disappointing.

jj984jj

creamsugar said:
MC 2/19 - 2/25

DS CookingMama 20,000

Wii
Look Lance (if you're lurking), a 3rd party game above 100k.

sumimasen

you mean the discussion about MC chart that became Gundam Musou first day sales and became PS3 is doomed and became something else? :D

anyway, sorry ;)

cvxfreak said:
Cheesemeister should really update the OP. :/

Okay, so I've got a much more robust HTML parser working for the Thursday top 50/HW page, pulling all the pertinent data out. Now I've just got to feed that data into the nice formatting I had before. It shouldn't take too long; I just wound up having to stay at work longer than I'd anticipated yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to finish it then.

Kafel

Banned
FF III will reach 1 million before the release of FF XII RW.

Sweet. :)

By the way I have high expectations for this title, the weekly trailers for this game show a game with a certain depth ( unlike every spin-offs ). I'd really love to see it performs.

edit : I remember not so long ago someone giving a link to build all sorts of charts to compare platforms . Could someone give it again ?

Re: PS3 and FFXIII:

Didn't anybody find the news about Square licensing the Unreal engine a bit weird considering they were building the highly touted "white engine"?

I don't think FFXIII will be outright scrapped for the PS3 at this point, but I have a suspicion that the Wii's success has thrown a monkey wrench into its development.

Durante

DeaconKnowledge said:
Re: PS3 and FFXIII:

Didn't anybody find the news about Square licensing the Unreal engine a bit weird considering they were building the highly touted "white engine"?
So, you missed the 18 page discussion and the near-meme that spawned from it? As well as the later threads that inevitably got locked and/or ridiculed via title edits? The general consensus seems to be that they licenced UE3 for their next MMO (which will be cross-platform). It has nothing to do with either FF13 or the White Engine. And even less with this thread.

I don't think FFXIII will be outright scrapped for the PS3 at this point
From most everyone else, that would be a good joke.

Durante said:
So, you missed the 18 page discussion and the near-meme that spawned from it? As well as the later threads that inevitably got locked and/or ridiculed via title edits? The general consensus seems to be that they licenced UE3 for their next MMO (which will be cross-platform). It has nothing to do with either FF13 or the White Engine. And even less with this thread.

From most everyone else, that would be a good joke.

Link? (I missed this thread entirely.)

The FFXIII project is in way too deep development-wise for the PS3, and the Wii is not viable to pick up the project as-is and port to, so they are committed to releasing on the PS3 at this point I'd think.

I can't imagine they're terribly happy about the sales of the PS3, but at the same time, they're probably pretty confident in the gotta-have-it mentality of most of their fanbase, so while its upper range is probably going to be hurt, it's still likely going to sell very, very well.

The nice thing about FFXIII for SE though is that they've hedged their bets with this Fabula Nova Crystalis stuff. There can be as many FFXIII's as SE wants there to be, on whatever systems. I'd say the Wii is a dead lock to get one of them.

Wii and DS, at this point.

SE really is going nuts with their 'compilations' recently.

Oh, and hey, you're back after the Playstation HOME mass bannings.

ethelred

Segata Sanshiro said:
The FFXIII project is in way too deep development-wise for the PS3, and the Wii is not viable to pick up the project as-is and port to, so they are committed to releasing on the PS3 at this point I'd think.

I can't imagine they're terribly happy about the sales of the PS3, but at the same time, they're probably pretty confident in the gotta-have-it mentality of most of their fanbase, so while its upper range is probably going to be hurt, it's still likely going to sell very, very well.

The nice thing about FFXIII for SE though is that they've hedged their bets with this Fabula Nova Crystalis stuff. There can be as many FFXIII's as SE wants there to be, on whatever systems. I'd say the Wii is a dead lock to get one of them.

Ah, at last an element of reason enters the discussion.

Segata Sanshiro said:

They want to sell more than just games. More hardware is more accessibility

Top Bottom