• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
apujanata said:
I believe it is a leak of first day sales. It is sinobi, after all.
I don't think the link I posted (or the numbers posted earlier) was sinobi.

Kafel said:
What's the next big title coming in Japan ?
If Gundam Musou isn't it, I'd say, uh, never?

Seriously, if this doesn't move more than a little bit of extra hardware, there is such a problem.

jj984jj

Kobun Heat said:

Seriously, if this doesn't move more than a little bit of extra hardware, there is such a problem.
Minna no Golf man, it's all about Minna no Golf.

enishi

jj984jj said:
I don't think the link I posted was sinobi.

It is also Sinobi. But considering the time he wrote this, it might be his estimate from a small quantity of shops... Usually any data on Friday's night (Japan time) are more accurate.

And 250k is the first shipment of SRW W. Just he mentioned it could be sold out during weekend.

Hammer24

Banned
Jonnyram said:
Sinobi says Gundam Musou sold 120k day one, but it hardly had an impact on hardware sales.

Like I said, thats the same that I heard. I don´t expect the PS3 to make more than 35k :´-(

NeonZ

Jonnyram said:
Sinobi says Gundam Musou sold 120k day one, but it hardly had an impact on hardware sales.
Super Robot Wars W sold 100k day one.

Ok... Super Robot Wars W's numbers make more sense now. There's no way it'd randomly sell so much better than its predecessor, especially considering how they still left Universal Century units out of that game and didn't really include any new mainstream series nor voice acting.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just checked Sinobi and it says that "Gundam Musou sold about 70% of its 170k - 180k shipment." It also says that "it appears that most who purchased the game did not buy the Software + Hardware bundle and instead purchased the game seperately." The blogger comments that "It was probably a mistake to allow Koei to handle the packaging and circulation of the bundle pack [instead of Sony doing it themselves]." and that "the bundle probably would have sold more if they did a Blue Dragon 'discount price' special instead."

70% of 170k - 180k is not bad considering the PS3's installed user base and the fact that the VF5 only sold around 50k in its first week I think. Its still a terrible number considering that it is a Gundam game... and a Musou game! Then again the shipped numbers are quite low so the game may sell out before the week is over.

Well, sinobi also says that Super Robot Taisen W next shipment is end of March. 50% sold of the first shipment (200k) so 100k first day.

Very true statement about Gundam bundle, its price was like a limited edition of a game thats only for hardcore fans that the companies can milk rather than a good PS3 bundle to sell to the mass market.

I still doubt PS3 will have anything important before Golden Week.

apujanata

Zefah said:
I just checked Sinobi and it says that "Gundam Musou sold about 70% of its 170k - 180k shipment." It also says that "it appears that most who purchased the game did not buy the Software + Hardware bundle and instead purchased the game seperately." The blogger comments that "It was probably a mistake to allow Koei to handle the packaging and circulation of the bundle pack [instead of Sony doing it themselves]." and that "the bundle probably would have sold more if they did a Blue Dragon 'discount price' special instead."

70% of 170k - 180k is not bad considering the PS3's installed user base and the fact that the VF5 only sold around 50k in its first week I think. Its still a terrible number considering that it is a Gundam game... and a Musou game! Then again the shipped numbers are quite low so the game may sell out before the week is over.

Doing a discount price bundle so early in PS3 life is like admitting defeat. I don't think Sony are willing to do that in Japan, after only 4 months from launch.

I agree with your assesment of Gundam Musou sales performance. It is solid, but not spectacular.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
apujanata said:
Doing a discount price bundle so early in PS3 life is like admitting defeat. I don't think Sony are willing to do that in Japan, after only 4 months from launch.

I agree with your assesment of Gundam Musou sales performance. It is solid, but not spectacular.

I did say it was good considering that there are still less than a million PS3 owners in Japan. The numbers just aren't very good considering the fact that this is a Gundam game and a Musou game at the same time. If the platform was PS2 these sells would be insane. Of course the same can be said of many titles.

Kafel

Banned
apujanata said:

Wasn't it a price decrease of the PS3 just before its release in Japan ?

I've also heard that some shops offered a free sixaxis when you buy a PS3 + VF5, it's worrying that such offers exist so early.

If a game like Gundam Musou can't move hardware, Sony should really make something.

I think it did pretty good taking PS3 userbase into account but if it isn't leading hardware sales it won't have any legs so this can be another VF5 style, going to 20-30 positions the second week. I mean that it can't sell to the existing userbase anymore, because its too low and they already got it going by these numbers, and if it doesn't make anyone buy a PS3 for this game, it won't have legs. At all.

apujanata

Zefah said:
I did say it was good considering that there are still less than a million PS3 owners in Japan. The numbers just aren't very good considering the fact that this is a Gundam game and a Musou game at the same time. If the platform was PS2 these sells would be insane. Of course the same can be said of many titles.

Maybe the Gundam Musou are more related to Sengoku Musou than Sangoku Musou ?
This is the first week sales of Sengoku Musou games, based on Famitsu :
Code:
Sengoku Musou    PS2    620.893   11/02/2004
Sengoku Musou 2  PS2    301.044   24/02/200

TopDreg

So... if Gundam Musou does not move hardware, does that make it plausible to already be predicting an early price drop for the PS3?

apujanata

Kafel said:
Wasn't it a price decrease of the PS3 just before its release in Japan ?

I've also heard that some shops offered a free sixaxis when you buy a PS3 + VF5, it's worrying that such offers exist so early.

If a game like Gundam Musou can't move hardware, Sony should really make something.

All those discount by shops is not Sony's fault, and it is not "Sony approved".
Price decrease before launch is an issue, but not a big one.

If there is a "Sony approved" discount, like "special price" bundle of PS3 + Gundam Musou, it is just like Sony admitting defeat. You might not agree with my point of view, though, since not many differentiate between "sony approved" and "informal discount" like I did.

Kafel

Banned
apujanata said:
If there is a "Sony approved" discount, like "special price" bundle of PS3 + Gundam Musou, it is just like Sony admitting defeat. You might not agree with my point of view, though, since not many differentiate between "sony approved" and "informal discount" like I did.

I understand these issues with the brand image.

But there are other means : the X360 had a lot of unofficial '$100 discount' not so long ago and I doubt that Microsoft wasn't behind that.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Zefah said:
120k (or ~70% of 170k) can even be considered "good" by any mean, the issue is that it didn't seem to boost the PS3 sales at much. That's a big problem for the PS3, if only because I think Gundam Musou was the biggest title to be released for some time...

Haunted

Kobun Heat said:

What are the next big releases coming? And I don't mean DMC or MGS in autumn. If there's little else coming, this will be one hellish summer for the PS3 in Japan.

Taurus

Haunted_One said:
What are the next big releases coming? And I don't mean DMC or MGS in autumn. If there's little else coming, this will be one hellish summer for the PS3 in Japan.
ziran said:
PS3 dated releases from Play-Asia:
Mar 8 Power Smash 3 / Virtua Tennis 3
Mar 15 Fight Night Round 3
Mar 15 Madden NFL 07
Mar 22 Love Adventure Love x 2 Kiss
Mar 22 Mist of Chaos
Mar 29 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007
Mar 31 Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Apr 1 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4

There must be some bigger titles around Golden Week, but they're not listed yet.
If Nintendo plays its cards right, they have all the power to end the war during spring/before summer in Japan IMO.

ethelred

Terrell said:
Everyone is STILL pissing and moaning about DS cart/Wii/Wiimote production? I don't know how many times this needs to be said before people actually get it:

Opening new fabrication plants is NOT A FAST OR CHEAP ENDEAVOR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foundry_(electronics)

So yeah, coupled with all the paperwork and setup and cost... guess what? Nintendo is likely just as aware of the issue as you guys are, but simply can not get new fabs set up fast enough to satisfy the huge breadth of DS games that are big sellers, INCLUDING Nintendo's own in some cases.

... but I keep forgetting this is GAF, which perpetuates the "spoiled child" syndrome of the modern world. You want a pony and you want it NOW!! :lol

Spoiled? Ponies? Yeah, GAF is really spoiled for expecting that third party publishers should actually be able to sell copies of the games they're spending many millions of dollars to make.

Tell me, wise arbiter, how many copies of Dragon Quest IX should be sufficient for Square Enix? 200k? Maybe as a birthday present Nintendo can give Square Enix a million copies instead of that pony! Won't that be just swell?

Zefah said:

Oh dear.

Wasn't there a bundle for this game? Will we find out how that performed soon? I remember we got early numbers for the MHP2 pack-in.

justchris

ethelred said:
Tell me, wise arbiter, how many copies of Dragon Quest IX should be sufficient for Square Enix? 200k? Maybe as a birthday present Nintendo can give Square Enix a million copies instead of that pony! Won't that be just swell?

I'm thinking 2 million minimum. They should try to break a first day sales record. Will probably release it on the weekend though, wouldn't want the entire country shutting down :D

Anyway, DQIX is at least 3 months away. Hopefully Nintendo will have production issues sorted by then. This is really more a concern for games releasing before May.

First day sales (from neoplay)

PS3 Gundam Musou - 120.000 (67%)

NDS Super Robot Taisen W - 110.000 (54%)
NDS Machigai Museum 2 - 6.000 (14%)

PS2 悪代官3- 770 (25%)

Wii Densha de GO - 1.200 (8%)

Seems no bundle data for Gundam.

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

PS2 悪代官3- 770 (25%)

Is it confirmed that Gundam Musou has not moved PS3's hardware ? If it is really true, I see nothing in the middle term that could change that.

Bad first day for Densha de Go.

Jonnyram

A year of DS lite and they've never been sitting on shelves for more than an hour... I wonder what Nintendo is planning to do about it. Wii is the one I doubt most, though. If they continue to keep the supply small (comparatively), like this, it's not gonna go mainstream as fast as it should.

Evlar

Banned
It'll be interesting to see how the contest between Super Robot Taisen W, Gundam Musou, and MHP2 shakes out.

The news of the Gundam Musou bundles not moving is troubling, even if they are premium-priced.

jj984jj

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

PS2 悪代官3- 770 (25%)

I looked up that PS2 game and got this:

http://www.gae.co.jp/game/akudaikan3/

WTF is it? :lol

P.S. Densha de GO Wii bomba.

I hope there will be enough dissatisfaction with the PS3 sales to make an Xbox 360 port. Since most Musou games in the main series come to the 360 anyway, I'd like to play this.

Haunted

Taurus said:
If Nintendo plays its cards right, they have all the power to end the war during spring/before summer in Japan IMO.
Thanks. So, March will see no release to significantly bump PS3's sales. The games are going to flesh out the library a bit more, but there are no system sellers coming next month. Wait for April is the new wait for VF5 is the new wait for Gundam Musou.
yeah right. :/

jj984jj said:
Densha de GO Wii bomba.
Releasing what could be considered a niche title on a console who's main owners are 'casuals' and not otakus was a bad idea. Putting the title on the shelf for a few months and waiting for the supply issues to be sorted and Wiis getting into the 'right' hands would have probably lead to many more sales.

Jonnyram said:
A year of DS lite and they've never been sitting on shelves for more than an hour... I wonder what Nintendo is planning to do about it. Wii is the one I doubt most, though. If they continue to keep the supply small (comparatively), like this, it's not gonna go mainstream as fast as it should.

It is not so easy...
They are already on maximum productions levels. They should build new plants, but this require time and money. So, probably we'll not see big changes in the short term.

Jonnyram said:

Well, Reggie did say the Wii would hit mainstream by end of 2007. There was talk about production shipments being upped significantly. I hope it's the case for the DS, too.

am i wrong in thinking this is the second or third mech game released for the ps3 in japan already?

would it be wrong of me to suggest then that perhaps most everyone willing to buy a ps3 at its current price for mech games may have already done so? presuming this rumour is on the money that is.

still that does leave the software that might start shipping hardware a long ways off.

jj984jj

I suppose you could say Densha de GO never has strong sales anyway... I wonder why they keep making them.

ziran

creamsugar said:
Japan February Sales (Famitsu)

Wii 296,338
PS3 85,812
Xbox360 18,629

DS Lite 617,981
DS use 115 weeks cross 15 Million (PS2 use 220 Weeks)

Software
1.Nintendo (Total 1,485,943)
2.Capcom (MHP2 746,313)
3.Sega
Wow!

It's obvious DS is selling fast, but I didn't realise it had outpaced PS2 by so much.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
plagiarize said:
am i wrong in thinking this is the second or third mech game released for the ps3 in japan already?

would it be wrong of me to suggest then that perhaps most everyone willing to buy a ps3 at its current price for mech games may have already done so? presuming this rumour is on the money that is.

still that does leave the software that might start shipping hardware a long ways off.

bingo.

Top Bottom