• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

Taurus

60_gig_PS3 said:
Wii got 2 killer aps this week. Next week is PS3's turn.
Naruto and Fire Emblem are killer aps? :lol :lol

WTF are Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl then? Mass murderer aps? Serial killer aps?

Taurus said:

WTF are Super Mario Galaxy and Smash Bros Brawl then? Mass murderer aps? Serial killer aps?

Weapons of Mass Destructon Aps.

No, wait, that's Wii Health. SMG and SSBB are High Grade Conventional Fire Power Aps... or something like that.

People really think Wii Health will sell?
I still don't think so... I want to see Nintendo prove me wrong but I don't dunno... people are very lazy

Taurus said:

Monster Hunter portable 2 = Weapon of mass destruction ap.

ksamedi

Smiles and Cries said:
I still don't think so... I want to see Nintendo prove me wrong but I don't dunno... people are very lazy

Wiisports shows that people like to move and play, i think the majority of people are not lazy, just a small percentige.
It all depends on how Nintendo presents the concept to the player. They tend to know what is addictive and im betting that Wii Health will have some addictive element to it. If that is true, than this will sell in the millions, if not 10 millions.

60_gig_PS3 said:
Monster Hunter portable 2 = Weapon of mass destruction ap.

Killer apps have to, y'know, move systems at a large pace to be a killer app.

MHP2 sells 750K. The PSP sells 90K. The game is selling to previously exisiting owners. Not a killer app.

Pureauthor said:

MHP2 sells 750K. The PSP sells 90K. The game is selling to previously exisiting owners. Not a killer app.

Wasn't the PSP at 35k last week? I'd say a 55k increase would qualify as a system seller.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DeaconKnowledge said:
Wasn't the PSP at 35k last week? I'd say a 55k increase would qualify as a system seller.
Considering what it sold it's obvious that it's not a system seller, any game that sells that much will move more units, but a system seller would move much more when the software sales are that high.

DeaconKnowledge said:

I dunno. There's no quick-'n'-dirty for this sort of thing, but I think the software should sell at the very least 1:2 with the hardware for that week for it to be a killer app.

I mean, you're going to be moving some systems with every new game, anyway. What matters is how many systems a game can move.

ziran said:
More approximate numbers (Famitsu):
http://blog.livedoor.jp/neoplay/archives/50921527.html

DS - 134,000
PSP - 95,000
Wii - 90,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
360 - 4,000

PSP
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 750,000
Metal Slug Complete - 7,600

DS
Sim City DS - 50,000
Keroro Gunsou Enshuu da yo! Zen-in Shuugou Part 2 - 14,000

Wii
Fire Emblem: Godess of Dawn - 74,000
Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX - 35,000

PS2
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - 80,000
Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2 - 7,000

Crackdown - 15,000
Splinter Cell: Double Agent - 4,000

PS3
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - 6,600

DC
Trigger Heart Exelica - 13,000

I thought that Wii would have been under 70k.... Great sales.

Smiles and Cries said:

I think the sales of Wii Sports and Brain Training shows that you can't define your typical audience. "I don't think people will like Brain Training, they prefer to have fun than learn".

I'm unsure about Wii Health, but if there's one place it'll do well, it'll be in Japan, where Nintendo know how to ****ing advertise properly.

Pureauthor said:

Well, I think that the reality is in the middle. Only the 15% has bought MHP2 AND a PSP. So I think that it is not high, but not bad either. The big problem is that this game is like hydrogen: high energy, but for a very small time.

ziran

TheGreatDave said:
Those are some really strong Wii numbers. If it can get a boost like that with Fire Emblem and Naruto, neither of which are huge, imagine what something like BBA or any other so-popular-they-re-not-games games can do.
I agree.

What's happening to Wii in Japan at the moment looks to be the same thing which happened to DS early on in its life, post Nintendogs. With every week DS was receiving consistently good hw sales, because of Nintendogs and Brain Training, and a nice little boost from smaller titles. The same looks to be happening here, with Wii Sports and Wii Play continuing to be popular, and with every relatively niche release, like FE and Naruto, there's an another increase of hw sales. I think this is a clear sign of how strong Wii is in Japan right now.

Over the coming weeks there aren't a huge amount of big titles but there are a few which could sell an additional 5-20k of hw, as long as Nintendo can supply enough units.

Up coming dated releases, with the bigger titles in the run up to the Golden Week holiday, Apr 29 - May 5:
Feb 27 Densha de Go
Mar 8 Bomberman Land Wii
Mar 8 Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi
Mar 15 GI Jockey 4
Mar 15 Sonic and the Secret Rings
Mar 15 SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Mar 21 Sangokushi XI
Mar 21 Sudoku
Mar 22 Cars
Mar 29 Mezase!! Tsuri Master
Apr 5 Barnyard
Apr 19 Furu Furu Park
Apr 19 Super Paper Mario
Apr 26 One Piece Unlimited Adventure
Apr 26 The Dog Island: Hitotsu no Hana no Monogatari
Apr 26 Big Brain Academy

60_gig_PS3 said:
Wii got 2 killer aps this week. Next week is PS3's turn.
You're right, but they're not FE and Naruto, Wii's killer apps have been around since launch - Wii Sports and Wii Play.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
milanbaros said:
If the Wii outsells the Ps3 by more than a 3 to 1 ratio again this week I truely believe Sony has lost all chance of having a bigger market share than the Wii.
4 to 1 actually (90/22 ~ 4.0909)

Porkepik

20-30k Is what I think PS3 will seel for a very long time (maybe except next week with gundam probably around 35k units).

I don't say that as a wii fanboy, I have a PS3 and don't have a Wii.
I easily see Nintendo back in first place WW but I don't care as long some great matuire games are also published on the PS3.

With the price of these units I cannot see any mass market for the PS3, I will never pay a 600$ console for my son( I did it for me but it is doubling as a great B-R player in my case).

My son (he is 4) will have a Wii this year (brother in law has one and my son loves rayman raving rabbits on it), a lot easier for him to control games using the wiimote than the ps3 pad his hands are too small)and I will probably get some games for me as well but it will be mostly used as a kid entertainer not the dad's.

And to add to that I will probably also buy a 360 once mass effect, bioshock and lost oddyssey are out.

maxmars

Smiles and Cries said:

Yeah but gyms are full of people that sign up and quit after a few weeks.. People (women mainly) start diets endless times only to give up after a while. For Nintendo it's not necessary that people keep using it, they'll be super happy right after having sold the game to you.

Haunted

Maybe I'm just easily impressed, but I said wow several times this week.

Wow at MHP2 700k - grats Capcom!

Wow at 4 Wii titles in the Top 10.

Wow at Wii hardware numbers.

Wow at the PS3 HW and SW... bomba total.

edit: and Wow at Tabris in this thread. :lol There was only a 'Witness the power of the PlayStation™ brand' post missing.

marvelharvey said:
HaHa, not many people got that joke... I appreciate your effort! :D

I didn't get it, please explain. What has ghostbusters 2 got to do with the running joke, started by Tabris, about excessive requirements.

Smiles and Cries said:
It's only annecdotal but my father got a Wii after playing the system during christmas (I brought it over) and he is playing Wii Sports daily as a work-out and I'm sure he'll buy Wii-Health in a heartbeat.
I don't think it will take off to the same proportions as BT but I haven't forseen BT taking off like it did (does) as well, so it's pretty much a wildcard for me atm. I can guarantee though that Wii-Health will create quite a media-buzz with the success of BT, that'll ensure that it won't sell bad at least.

LOCK

Wow a very good week for the Wii, and DS third parties. :)

I can see GoD doubling its sells over the next few weeks, hopefully it can do as good or better than PoR.

Layton warms my heart, along with Sim City. :) Go Go Naruto, who did way better than I thought it would.

Burnst

ziran said:
More approximate numbers (Famitsu):
http://blog.livedoor.jp/neoplay/archives/50921527.html

DS - 134,000
PSP - 95,000
Wii - 90,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
360 - 4,000

PSP
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 750,000
Metal Slug Complete - 7,600

DS
Sim City DS - 50,000
Does this mean Nintendo upped Wii production last weeks?

'Amazing' numbers for PSP. MHP2 is the best selling title this year (until now)?

Sim City did very decent too. I wonder if it has legs. Probably not, but it's the first EA title to make some impact on the Japanese market in years.. I don't understand why they closed their doors in Japan already. I mean, sure, it was a bumpy start, but it's one of the most important markets in gameland. It must be important for the biggest western publisher to expand their market? You can say a lot about MS in Japan, but at least they keep trying.

PantherLotus said:
Breaking News:
The Wii sells every unit it ships!

What is incredible, is that the Wii is selling like crazy without BIG games if we exclude all launch games. Wii Sports and Wii play are really driving Wii's sales.

Burnst said:

'Amazing' numbers for PSP. MHP2 is the best selling title this year (until now)?

Sim City did very decent too. I wonder if it has legs. Probably not, but it's the first EA title to make some impact on the Japanese market in years.. I don't understand why they closed their doors in Japan already. I mean, sure, it was a bumpy start, but it's one of the most important markets in gameland. It must be important for the biggest western publisher to expand their market? You can say a lot about MS in Japan, but at least they keep trying.

I expect Sim City to have Tetris-like legs, albeit starting from a lower number than Tetris. Should do pretty well overall, I would think.

Haunted

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
What is incredible, is that the Wii is selling like crazy without BIG games if we exclude all launch games. Wii Sports and Wii play are really driving Wii's sales.
Wii Sports and Wii Play are enough to ensure the sell-out, I'm sure. Every other game released is just added on top of that. Amazing, really.

Evlar

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
They can succeed if they position it as an exercise tool/ diet guide. Like exercise videos or gym memberships. People are lazy, but they like to buy things that help convince themselves that they AREN'T lazy.

Once they buy it there's no guarantee they'll continue using it of course.

Burnst said:
I believe that EA shut shop in Japan because this game was their studio's only output in 3 years.

Tabris

Excellent sales for the PSP and if you factor in cost, it outsold the DS when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.

KINGMOKU

Tabris said:
Excellent sales for the PSP and if you factor in cost, it outsold the DS when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.
And there we have it.

Tabris said:

:lol

Sony needs to fire Tretton and hire you.

Eteric Rice

Burnst said:

EA is capable of making some amazing games. The problem is, that they have harsh deadlines, etc. They don't give their developers a chance to polish the game before it's thrown out to the public.

I think Sim City could be a big seller in Japan, but it's never been shown off correctly. The big problem is that Japan has never liked PC Games, as they're mostly for perverts, etc, over there. The DS (and Wii), on the other hand, opens up a lot of older PC games (Warcraft, Starcraft, Civilization, etc) up to the Japanese public. They can enjoy games they'd otherwise never really known about.

Hopefully, Sim City DS is successful, and they start making more Japanese oriented games. Sim City DS, and My Sims, are giant leaps in the right direction. Hopefully Spore can prove to do well in Japan also.

I'm kind of rooting EA on a little, I guess. They seem to be genuinly trying to make good games lately. Especially Madden and SSX Blur being built ground up on the Wii. If they could just ease up on their devs a little, I'd consider them a great company.

KINGMOKU

One more astounding thing of note,

If the Wii maintains these sales(70-90k per week) it will have passed half of the gamecubes total sales base in about 3-4weeks.

Jonnyram

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Exactly. I believe these games will exceed 5 million in Japan alone, as long as enough Wiis are made to enable that. People are feverish for these.

Shiggy

Tabris said:

What? There was no shortage? That would be new to me.

Tabris said:

Economically speaking, 'cost' is what it takes to acquire supply.

Thus, if you want to factor in 'cost', the PSP costs more than the DS to make, so... yeah.

And the bolded part of the statement is completely wrong.

Either Tabris is deliberately being more obtuse than usual, or his brain is on the verge of nuclear meltdown.

Tabris said:

Being a parody doesn't phase you at all, does it?

Tharkûn

Banned
ziran said:
PS3
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - 6,600

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

Maybe it's not a good thing. Wii Sports/Play/Music etc might be the only thing most Wii owners will care about.

Haunted

Segata Sanshiro said:

Sony needs to fire Tretton and hire you.
no. Tabris is way easier to call out on bs. Quite a feat actually, compared to '1200$ for a PS3 on shelves' Tretton.

ziran said:
Over the coming weeks there aren't a huge amount of big titles but there are a few which could sell an additional 5-20k of hw, as long as Nintendo can supply enough units.

Up coming dated releases, with the bigger titles in the run up to the Golden Week holiday, Apr 29 - May 5:
Feb 27 Densha de Go
Mar 8 Bomberman Land Wii
Mar 8 Eyeshield 21: Field no Saikyou Senshi Tachi
Mar 15 GI Jockey 4
Mar 15 Sonic and the Secret Rings
Mar 15 SpongeBob SquarePants: Creature from the Krusty Krab
Mar 21 Sangokushi XI
Mar 21 Sudoku
Mar 22 Cars
Mar 29 Mezase!! Tsuri Master
Apr 5 Barnyard
Apr 19 Furu Furu Park