• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

Parl

Tabris said:
So Monster Hunter Portable 2nd is still the best first week selling third party game on a next gen handheld and if we exclude crappy pokemon/card game rip-offs, it's the best first week selling third party game ever on a handheld.

That's very impressive.

Yep, and third parties don't actually give a crap how much it sells after that first week.

linsivvi

cvxfreak said:
Capcom can make just about any of their major franchises fit in some form or another on the DS if they were inclined to do so. Devil May Cry might be an exception, but Capcom could make it work if they really, really wanted to.

They could always make a Devil May Cry card battle. :lol

cvxfreak said:
Capcom can make just about any of their major franchises fit in some form or another on the DS if they were inclined to do so. Devil May Cry might be an exception, but Capcom could make it work if they really, really wanted to.

Agree. Monster Hunter Portable 2 is the best first week ever for a Third party on an handheld machine and it is the proof that the PSP's community is eager of new, great games.
The shame comes overall from Sony, who has not supported enough his machine, where they could make it a more successfull one. Perhaps the problem is that they have concentrated themself on PS3 too much and they hoped that Third Parties, like with the PS1/2, would have supportes enough the console.

What next ? Nothing ! And that's the big problem. The DS, as always, has a incredible number of hit to come and the PSP has really nothing until Ratchet & Clank (21.03.07), that will not sustain the machine in any way.

MHP2 is really the Ocarina of Time for the PSP and sure, it has boosted the hardware a lot, but this effect will not last forever, and, with the lack of big games coming in the short-middle term, the PSP will slow down inevitable.

I repeat: the big difference with the N64 and the GC is that the PSP has ridicoulous First party sales and this is one of the motivations that justify the relative low success of the PSP. An occasion lost for Sony, that's sure !

I think MHP2 has the potential to sell like BT2, Animal Crossing or NSMB, in that it has a big launch, a slow trickle out of the top 10 and then sell 10-20k for a while. It could have legs like MHP1.

painey

Monster Hunter 2 at 700k is mind blowing, I had to check to make sure i hadnt seen an extra number on there. Not only incredible sales for a normal game, but for a PSP game its almost unheard of.

Amir0x

Banned
painey said:
Monster Hunter 2 at 700k is mind blowing, I had to check to make sure i hadnt seen an extra number on there. Not only incredible sales for a normal game, but for a PSP game its almost unheard of.

almost? It has to be unheard of since it never happened before! :lol

gconsole

Mr. Pointy said:
I think MHP2 has the potential to sell like BT2, Animal Crossing or NSMB, in that it has a big launch, a slow trickle out of the top 10 and then sell 10-20k for a while. It could have legs like MHP1.

Capcom's leg is different from Nintendo. All of their popular franchises have crazy leg for the first game ,so the sequel sale blow out at the start then suddently drop off the chart in couple months.

Biohazard -> Biohazard 2
Street Fighter -> Street Fighter 2
Rockman -> Rockman 2
MHP -> MHP2 (wait to see)

DMC, Onimusha and Dino Crisis are excluded :p

pswii60

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
The shame comes overall from Sony, who has not supported enough his machine, where they could make it a more successfull one. Perhaps the problem is that they have concentrated themself on PS3 too much

Yes, they have concentrated much, much more on the PS3. But that's not necessarily 'too much'. PSP has had decent hardware sales, just not anything on the insane level of DS. And you could say the DS is a slightly different market. PS3 on the other hand, has fierce, direct, competition from MS. And PS is the brand which has got them where they are today, so of course they're going to put the vast majority of their resources in to their home console.

Mr. Pointy said:

Uhmm....

I don't think really that MHP2 will have legs, because the past and the experience tell us exactly this.
In other words, no other PSP game has had legs that cn be compared with the millions sellers on the Nintendo DS; yeah, even Monster Hunter Portable 1; so, I don't see why it should happen now.
Next, we have had a big boost on the hardware's side, but 605k (that's right) were already in possession of a PSP. So, who was looking for MHP2, has already bought it. The rest (1/7) is new audience.
What I mean ? The fact is that games like Brain Training has sold (and are still selling) with the hardware. That's why their first week was slow, and that's why their legs were just incredible.
Ok. This is not always true, but it is a possibility. For example, New Super mario bros. has started very strong and has continued like a fool, but, after all, we are speaking of Mario !

So, I don't say that MHP2 will not have legs. I say that it will not have legs that can be compared to NSMB or Animal Crossing.
This week (that we'll see next week) will be very important to see the trend.

ITA84

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
So, I don't say that MHP2 will not have legs. I say that it will not have legs that can be compared to NSMB or Animal Crossing.
This week (that we'll see next week) will be very important to see the trend.

That, assuming MHP2 won't be supply-constrained this week (which it shouldn't, but with handhelds you'll never know).

ITA84 said:
That, assuming MHP2 won't be supply-constrained this week (which it shouldn't, but with handhelds you'll never know).

Yeah, but there is another problem. MHP2 cannot absolutely reach 3-4 millions with an usebase in Japan of 4.8 millions. The game has already an attach-rate of 15% and I pose the limit on 30% (that is a lot !).
Then, PSP's hardware's stock are high, and if it sold 100k, it is clear that it is a lot, but it is the 15% of totals purchases (yeah, exactly the same !) and then, the rest sold to who has already a PSP (or, better the first Monster Hunter).

So, next week, I think that the game will approach likely 950k-1 million. And in the long term, it will reach 1.5 millions (similar to Ocarina of Time in this way too !).

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Isn't there only like a 1,000,000 PsPs sold in Japan or something like that? I guess it can have legs to push to the other 300,000 users but I think by then people would have figured out how to play back-up version of the game.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
verplant said:
Any news of Gundam Musou release?
Well it's hard to tell you what it sold while it's selling, tomorrow we'll probably find out first day sales.

Taurus

jj984jj said:
Well it's hard to tell you what it sold while it's selling.
It's selling? SONY COMEBACK CONFIRMED! I told ya, just wait for Gundam Musou!

Finally those Screen Digest predictions start to make sense.

jj984jj

starship said:
Next MC chart prediction:

MHP2 < 80k
Given the legs MHP had I think people predicting such a huge drop-off will be surprised. Actually it wouldn't surprise me if MHP2nd outsold Gundam Musou next week as well.

jj984jj

DS is always unpredictable since it's always what Nintendo ships, though it probably will be above 150k in the next two weeks since highlight titles are going to be released.

Wow, ToD2 really dropped off, looks like I was right Ichigo, MHP2 seems to have taken attention away from ToD2 :(

Still excellent MHP2 sales and it cannot be stated enough. I'm glad to see Fire Emblem and Sim City start well and I'm really happy Layton is hanging in there. Same for Hotel Dusk, surely that must have passed 100K by now. Good week.

CorwinB

Tabris said:
I'm waiting for hardware.....

Oh, and Hey Ethelred!

I'm waiting for HW too, so you can return to your regular broadcast of "This is the last time I post in a MC thread since those are only Nintendo fanboys circle-jerks anyway, btw don't paint me as a PSP fanboy since I own a DS too." + jpg of somebody else's DS collection.

Oh, and the bitter tears. Don't forget them.

Taurus

CorwinB said:
I'm waiting for HW too, so you can return to your regular broadcast of "This is the last time I post in a MC thread since those are only Nintendo fanboys circle-jerks anyway, btw don't paint me as a PSP fanboy since I own a DS too." + jpg of somebody else's DS collection.

Oh, and the bitter tears. Don't forget them.
Ouch. :lol

ziran

More approximate numbers (Famitsu):
http://blog.livedoor.jp/neoplay/archives/50921527.html

DS - 134,000
PSP - 95,000
Wii - 90,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
360 - 4,000

PSP
Monster Hunter Portable 2nd - 750,000
Metal Slug Complete - 7,600

DS
Sim City DS - 50,000
Keroro Gunsou Enshuu da yo! Zen-in Shuugou Part 2 - 14,000

Wii
Fire Emblem: Godess of Dawn - 74,000
Naruto: Shippuuden Gekitou Ninja Taisen! EX - 35,000

PS2
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - 80,000
Fatal Fury Battle Archives 2 - 7,000

Crackdown - 15,000
Splinter Cell: Double Agent - 4,000

PS3
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - 6,600

DC
Trigger Heart Exelica - 13,000

ziran said:

DS - 135,000
PSP - 95,000
Wii - 90,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
360 - 4,000

PSP

DS
Sim City DS - 50,000

Wii

PS2

Crackdown - 15,000

PS3

DC

Wow!

Wii had a little spike there, damn PS3

ksamedi

ziran said:

DS - 135,000
PSP - 95,000
Wii - 90,000
PS3 - 22,000
PS2 - 16,000
360 - 4,000

PSP

DS
Sim City DS - 50,000

Wii

PS2

Crackdown - 15,000

PS3

DC

Wow PSP higher than Wii, still amazing Wii numbers though, im betting it will be the next DS in Japan if it continiues like this and there is no suply constraint. The PSP will probably go down to ~35k in a couple of weeks.

milanbaros

Member?
If the Wii outsells the Ps3 by more than a 3 to 1 ratio again this week I truely believe Sony has lost all chance of having a bigger market share than the Wii.

This industry can't sustain a weak console for long whilst it waits for the 'big guns' to come out. Especially if its a year. By then the puplishers will have jumped ship already. Well done Nintendo.

There is a strong possibility that no company will end with more than a 40% ww unit market share which would be incredible.

Those are some really strong Wii numbers. If it can get a boost like that with Fire Emblem and Naruto, neither of which are huge, imagine what something like BBA or any other so-popular-they-re-not-games games can do.

jj984jj

ksamedi said:
Wow PSP higher than Wii, still amazing Wii numbers though, im betting it will be the next DS in Japan if it continiues like this and there is no suply constraint. The PSP will probably go down to ~35k in a couple of weeks.
It will definitely go back down unless Monster Hunter is able to push more units than it has already. I doubt Ratchet and Clank will push any units and it's the only notable release for PSP in March. All the FF ports/remakes might push some units but they won't start to be release until the middle of April.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Hey!

It had a little spike too! Be nice.

it did? it was not at 19k last week was it?
I'm sure Sony would love to see PS3 trade sales with PSP
PS3 beating the Wii at this point would send a strong message that they are still alive, but I think people need to take a look at the PSP after a year long steady lower sales it got a boost from software so PS3 is still in the war because great software can help it.

This war is going to be great :)

milanbaros said:
If the Wii outsells the Ps3 by more than a 3 to 1 ratio again this week I truely believe Sony has lost all chance of having a bigger market share than the Wii.

This industry can't sustain a weak console for long whilst it waits for the 'big guns' to come out. Especially if its a year. By then the puplishers will have jumped ship already. Well done Nintendo.

There is a strong possibility that no company will end with more than a 40% ww unit market share which would be incredible.

I don't know about that.

Watching the US and Europe software charts leads me to believe there will be a very clear market leader this gen.

I think what we'll see for the WW market is a complete turn around for market leader; with the number 3 company last gen decidedly taking first, and vice versa.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
milanbaros said:
By then the puplishers will have jumped ship already.
Publishers won't jump ship, but if Wii continues to sell like that it will surely attract new projects.

Realisticly, can PS3 ever consistantly outsell Wii at it's current price in Japan? I don't see what kind of circumstance can happen for that to take place, outside of a possible one week jump for MGS4 or something.

TheGreatDave said:
Realisticly, can PS3 ever consistantly outsell Wii at it's current price in Japan? I don't see what kind of circumstance can happen for that to take place, outside of a possible one week jump for MGS4 or something.

FFXIII

Hey, guys.

ziran said:

DS - 134,000

crown-back.jpg

PSP - 95,000

medd_02_img0090.jpg

Wii - 90,000

249887392_1e0eaba779.jpg

PS3 - 22,000

fatality.jpg

PS2 - 16,000

header_04.jpg

360 - 4,000

failure.gif

Magicpaint said:

Stick that in "or something". I mean more than just one week sales jump. I don't doubt the PS3's potential quality, but the price makes it a continual hard sell. Hopefully by the time of FFXIII and MGS4 it'll have a price cut.

milanbaros said:

Wii got 2 killer aps this week. Next week is PS3's turn.

milanbaros said:

I don't think Next Week matters that much, its still too early and the Wii needs to do much better about 100k-200k per week like the DS to keep PS3 from a comeback. I think PS3 still has a #1 Brand name in its favor in Japan. They just need that killer software.

ksamedi

TheGreatDave said:

I dont think even jumps can help it reach Wii numbers. If things go like it is, and Nintendo releases some more inovative casual games than the Wii will do DS like numbers before we even see MGS4. If that happens, the PS3 has no chance of reaching the Wii, even with spikes. Example, look at PSP and look at DS. The highest selling PSP week since launch and even then it cant reach the suply constrained DS.
Its been decided i think, Japan loves Nintendo.

Top Bottom