• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 2/19 - 2/25

starship

psycho_snake's and The Black Brad Pitt's B*TCH
Tabris said:
Excellent sales for the PSP and if you factor in cost, it outsold the DS when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.
:lol :lol

AshStrife

Code:
[I]Excellent sales for the PSP and if you factor in cost, it outsold the DS when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.[/I]

This reasoning needs to be expounded to the overall market.

Excellent sales for the PS3 and if you factor in cost, it outsold the Wii when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.

which leads to,

Excellent sales for the 360 and if you factor in Japanese apathy, it outsold the PS3 when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.

Yep, all this time we have been reading the Japanese market upside down.

Tharkûn said:
Maybe it's not a good thing. Wii Sports/Play/Music etc might be the only thing most Wii owners will care about.

The Fire Emblem and Naruto sales aren't bad when you look at the current install base though. The kind of people who only want Wii Play and Music were never going to buy your more conventional games anyway, so what the average Wii owner buys doesn't matter so much as much as do third party games make a profit.

Tabris said:
Excellent sales for the PSP and if you factor in cost, it outsold the DS when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.

100% Joke Poster. I'm curious to see how many will be banned thanks to Tabris.

AshStrife said:
Code:
[I]Excellent sales for the PSP and if you factor in cost, it outsold the DS when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.[/I]

Excellent sales for the PS3 and if you factor in cost, it outsold the Wii when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.

which leads to,

Excellent sales for the 360 and if you factor in Japanese apathy, it outsold the PS3 when it didn't even have a shortage crisis like the times before. That's the first time in a while.

This wins.

AshStrife said:
Code:

which leads to,

So, wait, you mean Japan is actually the best market for games?

[/Amir0x vision]

Tabris said:
I think we've lost him, Doctor.

Hammer24

Banned
@ Ninty: *removes-hat-and-bows*
@ Sony: *shakes-head-in-disgust*
@ MS: *inserts-random-bailout.gif*

Oh yeah, and @ Tabris: :lol

Mr. Pointy said:
I think we've lost him, Doctor.

notaufnahme.jpg

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Nice bump for Wii, but I'm sure they could have sold 90K last week if N had shipped it. Still nice to see confirmation that Japan is still buying every single unit available.

Next week will be interesting. Since I'm new at this, how much of a bump can PS3 reasonably expect to get?

Hammer24

Banned
schuelma said:
Since I'm new at this, how much of a bump can PS3 reasonably expect to get?

Well, better underestimate and be happy, if it overdelivers.
That said, I´d guess (if early reports are true) not more than 27k for the week.

Taurus

schuelma said:
Next week will be interesting. Since I'm new at this, how much of a bump can PS3 reasonably expect to get?
My crystal ball says: 35k at most, over 40k would be very well. Game itself sells propably about 60-70k at max for the first week.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Taurus said:
My crystal ball says: 35k at most, over 40k would be very well. Game itself sells propably about 60-70k at max for the first week.

Wow..so what's the next "big" PS3 game out in Japan?

ziran

PS3 dated releases from Play-Asia:
Mar 8 Power Smash 3 / Virtua Tennis 3
Mar 15 Fight Night Round 3
Mar 15 Madden NFL 07
Mar 22 Love Adventure Love x 2 Kiss
Mar 22 Mist of Chaos
Mar 29 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007
Mar 31 Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Apr 1 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4

There must be some bigger titles around Golden Week, but they're not listed yet.

Tabris said:
Are you trying to say PSP revenue > DS revenue?

AFAIK DS retail is ~17,000 yen and PSP retail is ~20,000 yen, so using the approximate Famitsu numbers (DS 134k, PSP 95k):

DS revenue ~2.28 billion yen > PSP revenue ~1.9 billion yen.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
moku said:
One more astounding thing of note,

If the Wii maintains these sales(70-90k per week) it will have passed half of the gamecubes total sales base in about 3-4weeks.

Amazing stuff, the Wii is doing exactly the opposite of what nearly everyone thought it would do in Japan, after 2 generations totally bombing in Japan.

Also, if the Famitsu number are accurate then the Wii is now 1 million units ahead of PS3 in Japan LTD also, if this trend continues - and I see no reason in 2007 why it shouldn't - then the Wii could pull as much as 2 million units further away by years end, scary. (Based on 38 weeks left, Wii average 80,000, PS3 average 25000).

Stop It said:
Amazing stuff, the Wii is doing exactly the opposite of what nearly everyone thought it would do in Japan, after 2 generations totally bombing in Japan.

Also, if the Famitsu number are accurate then the Wii is now 1 million units ahead of PS3 in Japan LTD also, if this trend continues - and I see no reason in 2007 why it shouldn't - then the Wii could pull as much as 2 million units further away by years end, scary. (Based on 38 weeks left, Wii average 80,000, PS3 average 25000).

I think on the heels of the DS, the Wii's Japanese success is a lot less surprising. More surprising is the PS3's uh...stumbling.

I think MHP2 is going to outsell both new mecha titles (SRT W and Gundam Musou). Dunno why...I'm probably just saying this because I saw amazon just a moment ago and was surprised to see MHP2 still #1 so just in case...

Anyway, Gundam prediction (for the week, not first day)...umm...120k for the game and bundle, PS3 45k.

ziran said:
There must be some bigger titles around Golden Week, but they're not listed yet.
Its PS3...I wouldn't count on it :lol

Now seriously, whats in the oven that can make it before Golden Week? Minna no Golf 5 isn't and 3rd party wise...I wouldn't count on Tecmo's Ninja Gaiden Sigma to save the day.

CorwinB

Pureauthor said:
Either Tabris is deliberately being more obtuse than usual, or his brain is on the verge of nuclear meltdown.

False dichotomy at work, here. It could perfectly be both. :)

Parl

Stop It said:

Your numbers seem way off. Once production goes up, the Wii number will be more like 100,000 and the PS3 number will average at 25,000 (like you say) if you include launches methinks.

And as November is like 2 months in terms of sales, and December is like 4 months, and only (less than) 9 weeks have passed this year in sales figures so far, leaving 60 weeks of sales left, 50 of which will be 100,000 for Wii (only if the Wii momentum continues of course).

For next 10 weeks, 550,000 gap widening. For remaining (equivilent of) 50 weeks left, another 3,750,000. Together, that's 4,300,000 (not 2,000,000) extra gap widening, leaving Wii at 5,300,000 more than PS3 by the end of this year if the current trend continues, and there isn't some magical occurance that prevents it from continuing being a DS in disguise.

Of course, this is all very optimisitc (or pessimistic, depending on your stance), but if Wii continues to kick ass, and PS3 continues to be... 5 billion Yen, then PS3 will sell less than PSP and Wii is on route to sell more than DS. Insane.

enishi

http://ameblo.jp/get6-2/entry-10026887122.html

Both Gundam Musou and Super Robot War W are selling very well.

Gundam Musou nearly sold all 150k first shipment, next shipment is on next week.

Super Robot War W should sold all 250k shipment during weekend, next shipment is the end of March :/

Edit: Also, MHP2, SimCity DS and Layton are still selling. The latter 2 are in shortage. Layton will restock in weekend and SimCity needs to wait 2 weeks....

Parl

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think on the heels of the DS, the Wii's Japanese success is a lot less surprising. More surprising is the PS3's uh...stumbling.

This is proving to be one long stumble. Bladestorm... What's bigger in Japan? The Bladestorm franchise, or VF?

ethelred

enishi said:
Super Robot War W should sold all 250k shipment during weekend, next shipment is the end of March :/

What the ****!

Nintendo needs to get this shit straightened out. It's way, way, way past the "unacceptable" point now.

enishi

ethelred said:
What the ****!

Nintendo needs to get this shit straightened out. It's way past the "unacceptable" point now.

I can imagine Japanese lining up for buying FFXIIRW and DQIX every week in 2008 like they do for DS......

And SRWW may become the best selling handheld SRW title. The highest one was SRW A at around 300k LTD...

ethelred said:
What the ****!

Nintendo needs to get this shit straightened out. It's way, way, way past the "unacceptable" point now.

QFT. I've been saying this for a long time now and I really don't know what the hell is going on with Nintendo.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
enishi said:

that`s just ridiculous :lol

enishi said:
Gundam Musou nearly sold all 150k first shipment, next shipment is on next week.

Oh... it's entire shipment is 150K? So much for a big boost...

Dude, what.

What the heck is going on in the cart production facilities?

Edit: Also, MHP2, SimCity DS and Layton are still selling. The latter 2 are in shortage. Layton will restock in weekend and SimCity needs to wait 2 weeks....

Oh, goody. More cart shortages.

(Although, I suppose if units can keep selling if/when restocks arrive, it's a moot point in the long run. 1 month in between restocks is just ridiculous, though.)

ethelred said:
What the ****!

Indeed.

I think it's apparent now that DS software sells BOATLOADS, and Nintendo really needs to buy/outsource more card production, if not Lites themselves too.

Of course, jonnyram also mentioned how it's partially the retailers' fault: they aren't ordering enough cards from Nintendo! Apparently preorders haven't risen with demand: people are simply picking them up "on whim"...

ethelred

Dragona Akehi said:
Indeed.

I think it's apparent now that DS software sells BOATLOADS, and Nintendo really needs to buy/outsource more card production, if not Lites themselves too.

Of course, jonnyram also mentioned how it's partially the retailers' fault: they aren't ordering enough cards from Nintendo! Apparently preorders haven't risen with demand: people are simply picking them up "on whim"...

I don't buy the retailer excuse. At all.

It should not ever take a month to get a game that outsells its entire shipment restocked. And we've seen this now with too many games (DQMJ, Sekaiju, SRW, Layton, Sim City, and on and on and on) from too many companies, and some of them (like Square Enix) I don't think would ever be this reckless with surefire sellers like DQMJ.

Nintendo is at fault. Nintendo's controlling the cart production; they need to do something so that these companies can actually get enough freaking games on the stores to sell. It's ridiculous.

And then we look at FFXII: Revenant Wings, which shouldn't be going to market with anything less than a million freaking carts on Day 1, and it has half that. This is just unbelievable.

Dave Long

Banned
There's only so much production available, and it's just as likely that the publishers are to blame for short shipping DS games because they're not ordering enough to start with.

I really don't understand why there's this overwhelming belief on GAF that producing more silicon chips is easy to do like flipping a switch to add 200,000 more to the queue. It's just not like that, and when combined with the publishers looking at the market and probably undershipping a little bit simply to avoid getting stuck with product, seeing things go out of stock isn't all that surprising.

Eteric Rice

Nintendo is making so much money, they should open an extra factory or two.

Third parties seem fine on the DS. Fire Emblem did okay considering the user base, Naruto, I don't know. The game is supposedly shitty, so *shurugs.*

Hopefully Nintendo and Square-Enix announce some new stuff soon.

ethelred

Dave Long said:
There's only so much production available, and it's just as likely that the publishers are to blame for short shipping DS games because they're not ordering enough to start with.

I really don't understand why there's this overwhelming belief on GAF that producing more silicon chips is easy to do like flipping a switch to add 200,000 more to the queue. It's just not like that, and when combined with the publishers looking at the market and probably undershipping a little bit simply to avoid getting stuck with product, seeing things go out of stock isn't all that surprising.

Are publishers being cautious? Sure, I can maybe buy that to an extent. I don't think 500k copies of Revenant Wings is "caution," though, as I don't think there's a chance in hell Square Enix would willingly go to market with so few carts of their next huge game right in the middle of Golden Week.

So maybe there's some caution in that initial orders are smaller than they might be, but it is unacceptable that it would take two weeks to a month to replenish supply on a game. That's what is happening here. And that has nothing to do with a slight reticence when it comes to first day shipments.

verplant

ziran said:
Mar 8 Power Smash 3 / Virtua Tennis 3
Mar 15 Fight Night Round 3
Mar 15 Madden NFL 07
Mar 22 Love Adventure Love x 2 Kiss
Mar 22 Mist of Chaos
Mar 29 Winning Post 7 Maximum 2007
Mar 31 Bladestorm: The Hundred Years' War
Apr 1 Pro Yakyuu Spirits 4

Which one will be the next "wait until xy is out"?

Evlar

Banned
How on earth does Koei intend to sell two million copies of Gundam Musou with a first-week shipment of only 150K? Have they decided they DS sales pattern of weekly shortages and incredibly long legs is now the industry norm?

I think they're going to be unpleasantly surprised.

NeonZ

W.T.H.?! J barely sold 200k through its life time, and this game is basically a J sequel (not in storyline, I'm talking about gameplay and featured series)... But has beaten J in day one?!

Argh... this makes me fear they'll really go on and really replace UC with SEED... Bah. I only hope they'll include Gundam X in some future SRW...

Dave Long said:

Not when these games are essentially guaranteed to be sell out on day one. There is no way that FFXIIRW won't sell 500K on it's first day. Not to mention 1 month for restocking is completely ridiculous.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
Parl said:
Your numbers seem way off. Once production goes up, the Wii number will be more like 100,000 and the PS3 number will average at 25,000 (like you say) if you include launches methinks.

And as November is like 2 months in terms of sales, and December is like 4 months, and only (less than) 9 weeks have passed this year in sales figures so far, leaving 60 weeks of sales left, 50 of which will be 100,000 for Wii (only if the Wii momentum continues of course).

For next 10 weeks, 550,000 gap widening. For remaining (equivilent of) 50 weeks left, another 3,750,000. Together, that's 4,300,000 (not 2,000,000) extra gap widening, leaving Wii at 5,300,000 more than PS3 by the end of this year if the current trend continues, and there isn't some magical occurance that prevents it from continuing being a DS in disguise.

Of course, this is all very optimisitc (or pessimistic, depending on your stance), but if Wii continues to kick ass, and PS3 continues to be... 5 billion Yen, then PS3 will sell less than PSP and Wii is on route to sell more than DS. Insane.

My numbers were off the top of my head, and were on the cautious end of the scale, I should have said that however, sorry.

2007 shall be the year of the Wii, and in my view will entrench it as the lead player in the 7th generation wars, even overtaking the 360 worldwide, whether it can turn that into another DS style success is up to them, and 3rd party support (Which I think will come).

Top Bottom