• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

big_z

FF13 will never be downgraded to wii... too much effort has been put in already to jump ship. I can see ff14 being on wii though. I know some would be pissed at the graphics downgrade if it was in 3D but if square did advanced prerender backgrounds like we got in remake that shit would look hot.

linsivvi

Krowley said:
All i'm saying is that sony could have delivered much more powerfull system than the wii at 300 dollars... Something along the lines of the tard pack 360, only with a little built in storage.. If sony had done that, it would be a different race right now. If ps3 had been a true successor to ps2 in terms of philosophy and targeting an audience, they could have kept their fans...

This got me thinking. Where do Sony go from here? By the time Nintendo rolls out a next-gen machine after the Wii, it seems very likely that PS3 will still be very, very comparable in terms of technology. Instead of release an even more powerful machine with a similar price tag, wouldn't it make more sense for Sony to "re-launch" the PS3 with a slimmer design and a much reduced price tag, along with a new line up of games?

linsivvi said:
This got me thinking. Where do Sony go from here? By the time Nintendo rolls out a next-gen machine after the Wii, it seems very likely that PS3 will still be very, very comparable in terms of technology. Instead of release an even more powerful machine with a similar price tag, wouldn't it make more sense for Sony to "re-launch" the PS3 with a slimmer design and a much reduced price tag, along with a new line up of games?

10 to 1 they'd end up with a stigma of it being an 'old, last-gen' console.

You must remember that as far as the average consumer in concerned, the Wii is an entirely new console with a new, EXCITING control scheme.

And I'm glad to see that people liked my story. Maybe I'll do an update per weekly Media-Create thread or something if the demand is there.

Avrum

Mariah Carey said:
We're being pretty hard on Yamauchi. In fact, I think he's responsible for quite a bit of the direction Nintendo's taken this generation.

Gamers on the internet got in a rage when this quote came about. Messageboards were filled with how Nintendo was out of touch and were doomed in the console business. In fact, just last year IGN still included it in their "Top 10 Wildest Statements Made by Industry Veterans". But looking at how things have turned out in the past couple years, who's "out of touch" now?

I always had it in mind that Yamauchi may have felt that as time went on his ideas may not have been the best as things pressed forward. Certainly he is credited for predicting industry trends and pouncing on them (look at DS which apparently is a concept sprung from his noggin) but there are obviously decisions that were made on the business side of things that damaged Nintendo for a bit. You can certainly tell his change in favor of what he felt was a great direction to take the closer he came to realizing his retirement and definitely with one of his last interviews had with Iwata at his side when he made mention that Iwata having his head both in gaming and business (where Yamauchi largely had it only in business) would have made him a better fit for the job with a "new Nintendo."

At the very least, it does make me think back and chuckle a bit when people assumed Iwata was cast as prez last minute so if anything did happen to Nintendo, then Iwata would be the one to blame. Glad to see the man became a hell of a lot more than the "scapegoat for failure" some of the more hardened cynics assumed he would be. He's one of the best things to happen to the company in a long time.

lo zaffo

Jirotrom said:
SE is also prepping there fanbase for more Wii products with Dragon Quest Swords...as a whole Square enix seems to be pushing Nintendo products to build up the base. We will see what they have in store for the Wii.
Simply put nothing. Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles, Crystal Bearers is a GameCube circa 2004 zombie project. Dragon Quest: Sword need to suffice to Square-Enix fanbase Wii-side.

lo zaffo said:
Simply put nothing. Final Fantasy:Crystal Chronicles, Crystal Bearers is a GameCube circa 2004 zombie project. Dragon Quest: Sword need to suffice to Square-Enix fanbase Wii-side.

Bolded sentence is not only grammatically correct, but pretty much incomprehensible.

Elaborate.

lo zaffo said:

That doesn't really make sense, but I get your point. How well DQS:S do sales-wise will determine the fate of FFXIII.

Brak said:
But making a weaker system was a calculated risk for Nintendo. It was their way of artificially halting the dramatic rise in game budgets; an appeal to developers to get creative and make new kinds of games with less financial risk.

I think the calculated risk was even more than that: Nintendo is basically disrupting the traditional console generation cycle, while at the same time re-branding and re-positioning themselves. I mean, what type of business model has you jettisoning an entire userbase every five years and has you start from scratch all over. When you think about it, ignoring BluRay, did Sony really have to come out with a PlayStation 3? Could the XBox 360 ever really hope to compete against the 100 million strong PS2 monster that would still be receiving full support from Sony and nearly all parties?

I fully expect Nintendo to "Game Boy" the Wii, barring a digital distribution disruption from Apple (and even then I think Nintendo's ready for them with a Virtual Console-enabled DS... but that's a whole other thread).

Mariah Carey said:
I fully expect Nintendo to "Game Boy" the Wii, barring a digital distribution disruption from Apple (and even then I think Nintendo's ready for them with a Virtual Console-enabled DS... but that's a whole other thread).

I want a DS Virtual Console so bloody much.

zallaaa

By the way, regarding the diatribe about Final Fantasy, I can't really envision the shift of the core series toward the Wii (maybe the 360), but I can easily see new franchises from SQE or sequels to minor series coming. For example, a sequel to "Dawn of Mana" could well be on the road (even because of the shift of the series toward the action genre)

linsivvi said:

That's what's so subtly deadly about the Wii: Nintendo didn't just beat the PS3, they smashed Sony's entire business model. Sony can't simply come out with a prettier, more powerful PlayStation 4, it'll have to be something different. In fact, if things get much worse for Sony this gen, I wouldn't be too shocked if their next console isn't even called "PlayStation..."

medrew

My Chemical Mouse said:
It's not so much Iwata being a genius as Sony is being dumb. They went the wrong direction this gen., but if they had a reasonable price, they would have mopped the floor with nintendo.

Don't give credit where it doesn't deserve to be given, but give criticism to those who handed over the crown... Sony lost this gen, Nintendo did not win it.

Know what else is predictable? A positive Nintendo thread on GAf...getting downplayed by nearly everyone who posts in it -_-

Why, yes, I make the not-so-funny by editing one of his old posts.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
We are end of March and wii sales show no sign of slowing down.
Nintendo keeps selling 1 million units a month, and their biggest franchises have yet to be released. Following this trend they could reach a 20 million userbase by next fiscal year.

Neo C.

Mariah Carey said:
That's what's so subtly deadly about the Wii: Nintendo didn't just beat the PS3, they smashed Sony's entire business model. Sony can't simply come out with a prettier, more powerful PlayStation 4, it'll have to be something different. In fact, if things get much worse for Sony this gen, I wouldn't be too shocked if their next console isn't even called "PlayStation..."
QFT.

at the moment, I guess the Sony engineers don't have a clue in which direction they should go with the next console.

big_z said:
FF13 will never be downgraded to wii... too much effort has been put in already to jump ship. I can see ff14 being on wii though. I know some would be pissed at the graphics downgrade if it was in 3D but if square did advanced prerender backgrounds like we got in remake that shit would look hot.

If Square believes that effort is wasted, things are up in the air still no? I think this is a very tough decision for them, they may not feel FF brand is strong enough to maximize sales on a difficult platform to purchase. But at the same time, everyone knows the game will sell AT LEAST a certain amount of copies wherever it goes. The biggest question is, how much is the FF brand stagnating?

Kafel

Banned
Neo C. said:
at the moment, I guess the Sony engineers don't have a clue in which direction they should go with the next console.

Eh, Nintendo was in this state of mind at the end of the GC era, surrounded by the 2 "technology colossus".

naranjito

Banned
a Wii FF would make sense in the future, but alot of you throw in a x360 main version possibility. i just dont see it, with the installed base in Japan, its just worthless.

Brak said:
Absolutely. That's basically the way I see it. But making a weaker system was a calculated risk for Nintendo. It was their way of artificially halting the dramatic rise in game budgets; an appeal to developers to get creative and make new kinds of games with less financial risk.

It really was a perfect storm, and now Nintendo has washed up on a magical island made of rubies, and gold, and sexy mermaids.
i don't think it was just that driving the decision.

developing a game for the wii with it's wacky controls was going to be a risk regardless. there is an added expense in having to spend longer prototyping that kind of thing... building new technology for motion sensing and so forth.

if the wii had been as expensive to develop for as it's competitors, how many developers would have taken the risk to do so?

no idea... but i know that it would be less.

Diablos54

I love 'Vinnk's Village', keep it up man! :D :D

And damn, it's March and still the Wii's selling like this. I can't imagine what'll happen once supply levels out and stuff like Mario and DQ:S is released. :lol :lol

My Chemical Mouse said:
It's not so much Iwata being a genius as Sony is being dumb. They went the wrong direction this gen., but if they had a reasonable price, they would have mopped the floor with nintendo.

Don't give credit where it doesn't deserve to be given, but give criticism to those who handed over the crown... Sony lost this gen, Nintendo did not win it.

I'm not going to fall all over myself slobbering on Iwata's shoes or anything, but I really feel that if this generation continues and concludes the way it has started, we can chalk it up to both. Even against a stronger PS3, I think the Wii would still be doing better than predicted (I doubt it would be leading, but who knows), because it was just a plain good idea. Between the bumbling of Sony and the good idea of the Wii, we end up with a huge gap that we're seeing in Japan right now.

CorwinB

Eteric Rice said:
I just have to wonder how the Wii will do in Europe and the US. It may have Japan in a lock, but what about the rest of the world?

Not sure about the whole of Europe, but it's still crazy here in France. Every single shipment I see arriving at stores (most seem to get regular small shipments) is gone in a matter of hours (some stores are still working on a preorder-only basis). Went to my local supermarket the other day, they had a huge pile of PS3s sitting next to a single left Wii...

jesusraz

omg rite said:
Can we get the YTD and LTD for each model of GBA and NDS like before?

I have asked for this in the past two MC threads, but it's not been done for some reason. Cheesemeister, could you possibly do this from now on, please? If there's an issue, just let us know :)

Anyway:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2007 Sales | Lifetime Sales

1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 130,549 | 121,471 | 1,848,908 | 9,272,232
2.) Wii - 75,571 | 67,070 | 990,710 | 1,910,353
3.) PlayStation Portable - 41,546 | 43,769 | 645,474 | 5,177,603
4.) PlayStation 3 - 20,459 | 21,635 | 336,934 | 794,492
5.) PlayStation 2 - 16,961 | 13,321 | 240,914 | 20,395,773
6.) Xbox 360 - 3,492 | 2,910 | 75,124 | 339,826
7.) Game Boy micro - 765 | 727 | 14,402 | 574,332
8.) Game Boy Advance SP - 607 | 557 | 11,752 | 5,927,635
9.) GameCube - 270 | 367 | 5,309 | 4,174,777
10.) Nintendo DS - 135 | 159 | 1,371 | 6,583,726
11.) Game Boy Advance - 22 | 9 | 496 | 8,823,605

Nintendo DS Total: 15,855,958
Game Boy Advance Total: 15,326,384

fresquito

jesusraz said:

Next week Wii will cross the million mark YTD.
In two weeks it will cross the two million mark LTD.
In about three weeks it will be halfway the GC LTD.

Impressive.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
jesusraz said:
I have asked for this in the past two MC threads, but it's not been done for some reason. Cheesemeister, could you possibly do this from now on, please? If there's an issue, just let us know :)

Anyway:

I also prefer this list by much, it would be great to have such a list in the first posting

CorwinB

Regarding FF13 moving to Wii (which I don't think it will, though), isn't one of the main costs with recent FF games the creation of all those huge cinematics ? Most of the work done in this regard could be ported on Wii without much losses, they would just have to downscale them to SD. Unlike the NGC, the Wii has storage capacities similar to the PS2. Regarding the engine, SE already has a pretty competent NGC engine (the one used for FF:CC) that they could certainly adapt to Wii use.

Nintendo would have been successful this generation even if the PS3 was at 300 dollars. It would have been a harder fight, but it would still have the same result. People aren't taking the lessons learned from the PSP vs. DS battle (that we ALL watched in these Media Create threads). The PSP isn't in the situation it is right now sheerly because it was grossly overpriced.

Eteric Rice

I don't see why Final Fantasy couldn't go to the Wii, as it was on the NES and SNES long before Playstation. Not saying that it will, just saying that it's not out of the realm of possibility.

While the Wii is ungodly right now in terms of sales, I have to wonder what Nintendo has in the works that we don't know about yet. What will be the Wii's "Brain Age?"

In my personal opinion, they have not yet begun to fight!

I just wish they'd hurry up with online. Lol

Eteric Rice said:
I don't see why Final Fantasy couldn't go to the Wii, as it was on the NES and SNES long before Playstation. Not saying that it will, just saying that it's not out of the realm of possibility.

While the Wii is ungodly right now in terms of sales, I have to wonder what Nintendo has in the works that we don't know about yet. What will be the Wii's "Brain Age?"

In my personal opinion, they have not yet begun to fight!

I just wish they'd hurry up with online. Lol

Wii already has its Brain Age in Wii Sports imo.

Finn

jesusraz said:

Anyway:

The insanity of this is just, well, insane. The PS3 is no where near crossing a mil YTD and Wii's crossing the milestone next week. Crikey.

Wii already has its Brain Age in Wii Sports imo.
Agreed. However, since it's packed in in the west, its perception is not the same.
If Nintendo decided to remove WiiSports from NA as a pack-in and sell it as a regular game (though at a budget price), would that be beneficial to them? Of course, they'd also drop the price of the Wii (to perhaps $229.99). Looking at the way the system is selling, they have no reason to do this, but I wonder if they'll employ this strategy later on.

DarkMehm

jesusraz said:

Anyway:

Your GBA figures are wrong. Micros YTD is 15,214 and LTD is 575,034. SP's YTD is 12,595 and LTD is 5,927,028.

Epiphyte

DeaconKnowledge said:
Nintendo would have been successful this generation even if the PS3 was at 300 dollars. It would have been a harder fight, but it would still have the same result. People aren't taking the lessons learned from the PSP vs. DS battle (that we ALL watched in these Media Create threads). The PSP isn't in the situation it is right now sheerly because it was grossly overpriced.
True, but I think in both cases, the price differential gave each console time to "find itself." The first wave of games on the DS were pretty dismal as far as taking advantage of the hardware was concerned, and it took Nintendo about 6-9 months to show the way for other developers. The PSP's pricetag kept the DS' head above water while this was occurring, and allowed it to explode upon Nintendogs release.

With the Wii, we're seeing a similar case in that the software hasn't fully caught up with the emphasis shift of the hardware. In this case, however, Nintendo is in a better situation, as they already have Wii Sports out as both a system seller, and guidepost to other developers. Combine this with the chasm in pricing, and it looks as though Nintendo will have forged a comfortable lead before it has released any of its "classic" system sellers.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.
fresquito said:
Next week Wii will cross the million mark YTD.
In two weeks it will cross the two million mark LTD.
In about three weeks it will be halfway the GC LTD.

Impressive.

Also, on current trends the Wii will exceed GameCube LTD before its 52nd week of sale, that is totally stupid, not only that, but the Wii is starting to track closer and closer to DS first year sales, a good first year on little but high selling software leading to a 2nd year with non-game galore, Wii could end up in the stratosphere, it could happen.

Either way, if this continues and the Wii does sell 5million by the end of December, I'm calling this gen to Nintendo, no matter what the PS3 does, it's not going to pull it back and if anything 2008 should create a stupid DS/PSP style lead.

lo zaffo

AniHawk said:
Sorry. I didn't wanted to write the worst thinkable English, I just wanted to write quickly down!! Sorry again!!

back IT I don't see Square-Enix announcing anything else for Wii in the foreeable future.

Grecco

Eteric Rice said:

Wii health is the new Brain age.

lo zaffo said:
Sorry. I didn' wanted to write the worst thinkable English, I just wanted to write quickly down!! Sorry again!!

back IT I don't see Square-Enix announcing anything else for Wii in the foreeable future.

What is the foreseeable future to you, 30 days?

Saitou

Banned
Smiles and Cries said:
What is the foreseeable future to you, 30 days?
Good one.

Like has been said before, SE basically let out a few games to test the waters. We have DQS and FFCC on Wii. After they see how DQS sells (and it will sell), they'll probably come out with another game or two. Not necessarily FF or DQ, but more games nonetheless.

Finn said:
The insanity of this is just, well, insane. The PS3 is no where near crossing a mil YTD and Wii's crossing the milestone next week. Crikey.

If Nintendo decided to remove WiiSports from NA as a pack-in and sell it as a regular game (though at a budget price), would that be beneficial to them? Of course, they'd also drop the price of the Wii (to perhaps $229.99). Looking at the way the system is selling, they have no reason to do this, but I wonder if they'll employ this strategy later on.

They might, but I think a much more likely scenario is for them to package the Wii with the next Wii ____ game; ie Wii Music, Exercise, etc. That way they can continue to sell the Wii at $250 until demand slows down (which wont be anytime soon looking at things now). It will also enable Nintendo to offer unique SKUs for people who would rather have Wii Sports, Wii Music, Wii Exercise, etc with their console.

Its a great way to offer customization while at the same time not confusing the customer. Not to mention keeping costs down. A much more intelligent route than what MS and Sony are doing IMO.

lo zaffo said:
Sorry. I didn't wanted to write the worst thinkable English, I just wanted to write quickly down!! Sorry again!!

I like you. You're silly.

Eteric Rice

I'm betting Nintendo will release new bundles as time goes on. I imagine something like "Wii Health Bundle" or "Wii Brain Bundle" would do quite well.

What happens if the rumors for the Dragon Quest Swords bundle in Japan are true? The insanity would be... Insane...

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Brain-Age team is busy cranking out all those Wii Channels. I think Big Brain Academy will have to hold it down on the Wii for a while.

Eteric Rice

There was a rumor going around that Nintendo was working on a "Brain Age Channel," which would essentially be Brain Age built into the Wii.

I doubt it would happen, but it'd be damned cool. ;)

Vargas

big_z said:

Just the thought of that makes me throw up a little in my mouth. I understand moving a franchise to a new console when a new generation starts, but during the middle?

Jirotrom

lo zaffo said:
There is a good chance that there are unannounced games you know...Nintendo doesn't like to lay all their cards out and Neither does S-E.

Jirotrom

lo zaffo said:

Thats just ridiculous as S_E loves to milk a user base.

Top Bottom