• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

Mariah Carey said:
When you think about it, ignoring BluRay, did Sony really have to come out with a PlayStation 3? Could the XBox 360 ever really hope to compete against the 100 million strong PS2 monster that would still be receiving full support from Sony and nearly all parties?

I think about this sometimes. Waaaaay back in 2005 people were actually pitching this as a strategy -- don't launch PS3 until tail end of 2007 (at earliest) and instead sit back and let the PS2 royalties roll in. Given how things have actually fallen out, I'm thinking that might have been a good choice. We've seen PS2 hardware dry up in Japan, but is that really relevant? PS2 software is still putting up good weeks on release.

Jirotrom

charlequin said:
I think about this sometimes. Waaaaay back in 2005 people were actually pitching this as a strategy -- don't launch PS3 until tail end of 2007 (at earliest) and instead sit back and let the PS2 royalties roll in. Given how things have actually fallen out, I'm thinking that might have been a good choice. We've seen PS2 hardware dry up in Japan, but is that really relevant? PS2 software is still putting up good weeks on release.
There is a slight problem with that...Sony's plan was to inevitably beef up there machine and release it as a graphical power house. If Sony was to release it late they would have to have signed o a lot of developers and had a good amount of exclusive games at their launch. The problem is not many devs want to make exclusives games for a small user base especially for a machine like the ps3 when dev costs are so high. Sony was pretty much stuck in the position in which they had to release the ps3 sooner rather than later or trying to get support would have been even harder as more and more devs would become even more comfortable with the 360. What makes it suck even more is to compete head on the only way the launch of the ps3 would have really went well is if Sony had great first party titles ready at launch or just launched very very near to 360's launch. It was kind of a double edged sword situation for them.

Another factor was Blu-ray...they needed the machine out early to boost blu-ray sales so HD-DVD wouldn't run off with the market. The only reason this doesn't effect the Wii is because it really isn't a "direct" competitor because of its design. PS3 and 360 can be seen as very similar. Wii has the advantage as it really doesn't have to compete in that space. It competes automatically and at the same time doesn't...pretty smart move on Nintendo's part.

Rocksteady33

Any chance from future Media Creates you can put how many weeks a game has been on the chart in the top 10? Not necessary, and I know you're doing a lot as it is but I thought that would be a interesting point to look at.

Thanks for these!!

Jammy

Banned
charlequin said:

I don't think that was really an option. No matter how hot a system is, a new competitor will always force a successor upon us (NES to SNES vs. Genesis). You were right in pointing out how much PS2 has dried up in Japan. Sony knows that Microsoft still wouldn't put a dent in that market, but that Nintendo's new console possibly could. And even if it didn't, a new system over there just means added revenue, profit, sales, etc. for them. If something gets popular in Japan, it will gradually catch on elsewhere.

We can compare PS2 to 360 sales all we want, as the former has shown continuously strong numbers (even higher in most places worldwide), but the PS3 was a necessity for Sony to make sure they just didn't give Nintendo the Japanese market.

jesusraz said:
I have asked for this in the past two MC threads, but it's not been done for some reason. Cheesemeister, could you possibly do this from now on, please? If there's an issue, just let us know :)

Anyway:

Hardware - This Week | Last Week | Total 2007 Sales | Lifetime Sales

1.) Nintendo DS Lite - 130,549 | 121,471 | 1,848,908 | 9,272,232
2.) Wii - 75,571 | 67,070 | 990,710 | 1,910,353
3.) PlayStation Portable - 41,546 | 43,769 | 645,474 | 5,177,603
4.) PlayStation 3 - 20,459 | 21,635 | 336,934 | 794,492
5.) PlayStation 2 - 16,961 | 13,321 | 240,914 | 20,395,773
6.) Xbox 360 - 3,492 | 2,910 | 75,124 | 339,826
7.) Game Boy micro - 765 | 727 | 14,402 | 574,332
8.) Game Boy Advance SP - 607 | 557 | 11,752 | 5,927,635
9.) GameCube - 270 | 367 | 5,309 | 4,174,777
10.) Nintendo DS - 135 | 159 | 1,371 | 6,583,726
11.) Game Boy Advance - 22 | 9 | 496 | 8,823,605

Nintendo DS Total: 15,855,958
Game Boy Advance Total: 15,326,384

No, I'm not throwing the combined numbers out the window. If anything, I could put the breakdown numbers in a separate table.

Rocksteady33 said:
Any chance from future Media Creates you can put how many weeks a game has been on the chart in the top 10? Not necessary, and I know you're doing a lot as it is but I thought that would be a interesting point to look at.

Thanks for these!!

That's what the history at the bottom of the post is for. Sometimes, a game will dip out of the top 10 and return later. It'd involve actually implementing a database for this or parsing the output of all past weeks. Basically, it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

A much simpler feature would be popping the release dates next to each title. I already have the data for it, I'm just not printing it.

andthebeatgoeson

Mariah Carey said:
Gamers on the internet got in a rage when this quote came about. Messageboards were filled with how Nintendo was out of touch and were doomed in the console business. In fact, just last year IGN still included it in their "Top 10 Wildest Statements Made by Industry Veterans". But looking at how things have turned out in the past couple years, who's "out of touch" now?
That may be the stretch. Nintendo is in nice with everybody and has touched non-gamers, which is brilliant. But gamers still want better and better. But life is always about balance. How much you willing to give to get more. Games do drive this buisness but you can still overwhelm the urge to buy. Price. Faulty hardware. If America thought 1 in 3 Xboxes failed, they would not buy. If it was a well known fact. It's a well known fact that the PS3 is $600. Hell, with FUD, that number may be higher in casual fan's heads.

Getting to your point and my point: look at GTA. It is as much in depth with great visuals. No, it doesn't match DOA but people can see a wide open city coupled with the gameplay and are impressed. It was the most successful game last gen. Halo looks phenomenal. And it was a blockbuster. People do want great in depth games but they don't want me-too cash ins that don't bring anything to the table. Or they don't want it for a prolonged period of time. They want simple games that are fun. They just want fun. And Madden :p. There is a market for both and Yaumauchi was somewhat insane.

skinnyrattler said:
That may be the stretch. Nintendo is in nice with everybody and has touched non-gamers, which is brilliant. But gamers still want better and better. But life is always about balance. How much you willing to give to get more. Games do drive this buisness but you can still overwhelm the urge to buy. Price. Faulty hardware. If America thought 1 in 3 Xboxes failed, they would not buy. If it was a well known fact. It's a well known fact that the PS3 is $600. Hell, with FUD, that number may be higher in casual fan's heads.

Getting to your point and my point: look at GTA. It is as much in depth with great visuals. No, it doesn't match DOA but people can see a wide open city coupled with the gameplay and are impressed. It was the most successful game last gen. Halo looks phenomenal. And it was a blockbuster. People do want great in depth games but they don't want me-too cash ins that don't bring anything to the table. Or they don't want it for a prolonged period of time. They want simple games that are fun. They just want fun. And Madden :p. There is a market for both and Yaumauchi was somewhat insane.

Don't take this the wrong way... but I don't have the faintest idea what you were trying to say.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Cheesemeister said:
No, I'm not throwing the combined numbers out the window. If anything, I could put the breakdown numbers in a separate table.
Could you maybe just post two lists, one like the quoted list and one like the ones you are doing all the time? That would be really nice of you :).

Yoshi said:
Could you maybe just post two lists, one like the quoted list and one like the ones you are doing all the time? That would be really nice of you :).

To illustrate the statistical insignificance of the breakdown numbers, let me put it this way:

GBA combined this week for 1,394 out of a total of 290,377 systems sold. That's a weekly marketshare of 0.48%.
The original DS this week had 135 out of a total of 290,377 systems sold. That's a weekly marketshare of 0.0465%.

What I'm saying is, it's not a worthwhile feature.

Yoshi

Nevertheless I prefer a brakedown between the different systems. If it's too much work for you, it's ok, but in my opinion it's worthwhile despite the relative low significance on a weekly basis.

Flakster99

Like usual, I don't have anything to add, sales threads make for good reading material which is enough for me. However, I do want to thank Cheesemeister and those that have given their ideas on how to present sales information a fun manner. Keep it up!

Seeing More English Training numbers on sinobi's blog brought a smile into my face. I guess I rather see Yoshi, Layton and co in the charts than some training game :)

P90

Flakster99 said:
Like usual, I don't have anything to add, sales threads make for good reading material which is enough for me. However, I do want to thank Cheesemeister and those that have given their ideas on how to present sales information a fun manner. Keep it up!

+1

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Seeing More English Training numbers on sinobi's blog brought a smile into my face. I guess I rather see Yoshi, Layton and co in the charts than some training game :)

can u post all numbers ?

sphinx

the piano man
Kurosaki Ichigo said:

yeah, nobody has posted them, can we get them please?

cw_sasuke said:
can u post all numbers ?
I'm probably going to make more than one mistake so I rather wait for jonny or someone with better abilities here ^^u

Anyway, I think it says More English Training did 25.000 in its first day.

junkwaffle said:
#1 or 2 meaning which? Wii? DS? Or was that PS2 you mean? I was thinking about the talk of FFXIII being considered for Wii as mentioned by others. Wouldn't that mean a complete overhaul as well? Since S-E seems to still have some allegiance to Sony, I thought this might be a possible financial compromise for them, if you seriously entertain putting it on the Wii, that is.
I think what I really meant was that if they were going to vastly change things to move it from PS3 to a more successful system, why would they move it from the distant-2nd console to the distant-2nd portable? It will take a while for Wii to pass PSP in hardware sales, but it's already a match in software sales. This is no longer the late 90s with Square and Nintendo feuding; the near-total PS2 allegiance of last gen was a simple matter of it being the dominant console, and GBA/DS have had much more S-E support than PSP.

.dmc said:
Thanks, I was wondering because I seemed to remember the PSP being regarded as having a decent launch
Usually when you hear something like that, people are specifically talking about the 10 or 11 weeks it outsold DS at the beginning of 2004. :) PSP was quite supply-constrained for that first month or so.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
DarkMehm said:
First day sales:

KH II Final Mix+ 100k (300k shipped)
Digimon (Two versions together) 50k
More English Training 25k

wow, didn`t the first english trainer one sold like a mil ??

ouch... non-gamer seem busy with playin real-games :)

Zynx

norinrad21 said:
http://www.japantoday.com/news/jp/dbfiles/picture/C7FL2.jpg

Self-proclaimed "walking doctor" Duke Saraie, 54, and his disciples demonstrate an exercise at a press conference Thursday to announce the release of Nintendo DS software “Duke Saraie No Kenko Walking Navi,” in which he navigates users to various walking exercises. The software goes on sale May 17

w00t i'm calling this a million seller
Wait is this real? If it is we may not have to wait for Wii Health to see that market come in...

Edit: Just checked, it does exist on the Japan Today site - whoa!

Wiitard

Banned
charlequin said:

There really would be a lot to it if the made it ridiculously easy to port from 360 to PS3 and also ridiculously easy to upscale PS2 games and designed the system around that. So every port would be easily as good as the 360 game + some easily accessible extra power. Plus, they should have been selling PS3 ready PS2 games - play GOWII and wait to see what will happen when you put it in your PS3 later this year.

dyls

http://www.japantoday.com/news/jp/dbfiles/picture/C7FL2.jpg

Self-proclaimed "walking doctor" Duke Saraie, 54, and his disciples demonstrate an exercise at a press conference Thursday to announce the release of Nintendo DS software “Duke Saraie No Kenko Walking Navi,” in which he navigates users to various walking exercises. The software goes on sale May 17

w00t i'm calling this a million seller

Walking training?? This may be going too far.

zallaaa said:
By the way, regarding the diatribe about Final Fantasy, I can't really envision the shift of the core series toward the Wii (maybe the 360), but I can easily see new franchises from SQE or sequels to minor series coming. For example, a sequel to "Dawn of Mana" could well be on the road (even because of the shift of the series toward the action genre)

You can't see the core Final Fantasy series moving towards the Wii, but you can see it going to the 360? :lol

What on earth gives you any idea Square could move the series to 360?

FlightOfHeaven said:
Ball of your foot first, chest out, back straight, full strides, breathe into your stomach.
giantkrang.jpg

Axord

Vinnk said:
Sorry I can't give you a better idea of the resale value. I called Hiro to ask how much he will pay for a used PS3 and he said. "I'm not buying any used ones until I can sell the one new one I got four weeks ago"
Asking this question for all tracked systems might be an interesting addition to your excellent Village Report.

skinnyrattler said:

Yes, there's definitely a market for both, but Yamauchi was saying the market wasn't dictating that new superpowerful consoles (and the costs they bring in) were necessary. By releasing them anyway, Sony and MS were essentially alienating the majority of consumers and appeasing a minority audience.

haircut

FlightOfHeaven said:
Ball of your foot first, chest out, back straight, full strides, breathe into your stomach.

Walking Training. I just saved you 20 dollars.
You are terrible at making walking seem fun.

argon

apotema said:
WTH happened with English Training 2??

Is it a more advanced English course? It may sell to a smaller subset of DS owners than the first did. Still, it seems really low.

andthebeatgoeson

Mariah Carey said:
Yes, there's definitely a market for both, but Yamauchi was saying the market wasn't dictating that new superpowerful consoles (and the costs they bring in) were necessary. By releasing them anyway, Sony and MS were essentially alienating the majority of consumers and appeasing a minority audience.
You're probably right. But Yamauchi is all kinds of batshit insane. He went from sage to crazy and smart. You have to filter his shit.

Eteric Rice

skinnyrattler said:
You're probably right. But Yamauchi is all kinds of batshit insane. He went from sage to crazy and smart. You have to filter his shit.

Pretty much, but he has some damn good lawyers.

Yoshi

Cheesemeister said:
You're getting a breakdown. I'll even put them in a separate table with last week, YTD, and LTD numbers.
Thank you very much, now the first posting in these threads will be perfect from my point of view, too :).

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
DarkMehm said:
First day sales:

KH II Final Mix+ 100k (300k shipped)
Digimon (Two versions together) 50k
More English Training 25k
Wow, same start as SD4, though it's just FM and I do expect it to do better than SD4 in the end.

cw_sasuke said:
wow, didn`t the first english trainer one sold like a mil ??

ouch... non-gamer seem busy with playin real-games :)
Sarcasm eh? Didn't we make fun of sphinx enough?

Yoshi said:
Thank you very much, now the first posting in these threads will be perfect from my point of view, too :).

There won't be two complete HW ranking tables, mind you. The breakdown numbers will be all alone.

Hopefully this will end the complaining from everyone on the issue. =P

I just returned from ban-land and I just wanna say that I agree with moku 100% and put my neck out there. I expect gaf shattering threads in the mid term. I'm excited about the thread first, game second:lol

cvxfreak

Interesting More English Training numbers. I still think sales will pick up a bit though, but unlike the Brain games in which one isn't necessarily contingent on the other to get into, I expect that the sequel requires reasonable knowledge of the first game.

Top Bottom