• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Media Create Sales 3/19 - 3/25

Saitou

Banned
chibcicylist said:
I just returned from ban-land and I just wanna say that I agree with moku 100% and put my neck out there. I expect gaf shattering threads in the mid term. I'm excited about the thread first, game second:lol
It's good to have you and your phallic avatar back, mang.

Wiitard

Banned
chibcicylist said:
I read that the Wii fishing game is doing numbers between Wii Sports and Wii Play for the opening day. Anyone have any early numbers?

Actually that would be pretty poor: around 10,000 or less per for the first day.

Terrell said:
Except for the fact that it still isn't factoring Japan into the equation. In the scenario you just listed, it leaves FFXIII on a floundering platform and a dead-on-arrival platform in Japan. And for those who don't realise, 30-40% of the sales of these franchises come from Japan alone.
Meaning that 60-70% of the sales come from US/Europe, which is a huge chunk of the pie. I think it makes sense for SE to make a version on the 360 as well, especially since the cost to port it to the 360 probably wouldn't be all that high relative to the already sunk costs put into the PS3 development.

Wiitard said:
Actually that would be pretty poor: around 10,000 or less per for the first day.

Oh that sucks.

So that means we should expect Wii to do sub-50k numbers this week then? Surprisingly low Wii Play shipments means low hardware numbers.

Maxwell House said:
Meaning that 60-70% of the sales come from US/Europe, which is a huge chunk of the pie. I think it makes sense for SE to make a version on the 360 as well, especially since the cost to port it to the 360 probably wouldn't be all that high relative to the already sunk costs put into the PS3 development.

But what would that say to your most rabid fans in Japan? Brand damage and all. I still think that the Japanese fans are highly prized because they gobble up whatever spin offs you have, whereas the Western ones tend to just buy the main one(correct me if I'm wrong, though).

Saitou

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Actually, I expect them to re-direct FFvsXIII to XBox if anything. Think about it, what with larger install base in the west (for now, and likely for a while longer) and Live. Not to mention that work on Vs is low enough so that a system switch isn't all that harmful.

Wiitard

Banned
chibcicylist said:
Oh that sucks.

So that means we should expect Wii to do sub-50k numbers this week then? Surprisingly low Wii Play shipments means low hardware numbers.

Not sure about this week's Wii numbers. The estimate was taking into account that sales vary from day to day and being generous. In any case Wii sales numbers carry little info nowdays: except for the fact that Nintendo either has not ramped up the production yet of is hoarding it.

We don't know how much would Wii really be selling each week without supply constraints: 80k, 100k or maybe even 120k. We have no clue on the biggest unknown in this console war: what is up with Nintendo's production? It's really amazing just how much in the dark we are.

Maxwell House said:

It makes no sense for them to make this move before they know how Blue Dragon sells.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
People seem to forget that everything, especially non-games, sell on the DS through word of mouth and have slow starts. Unless it's all sarcasm.

Endymion

While waiting for the pc to convert lots of audio files I took time to read this entire thread.

It's unbelievable how the console war scenario has changed since the last two years. I have to say that I am far from fond of the "waggle" idea behind the Wii and that an overwhelming success of Wii-centered games would mean a temporary bailing out of videogames from my part, waiting for things to change and adjust to my likings. Even so it cannot be denied Nintendo acted for the best (piles and piles of cash say they were right :lol ) and I am glad developers can make solid cash on an easy-to-develop-for system, so they will be able to invest in next-gen games in the future. What I appreciate even more about Nintendo's success is it reaffirms the importance of the only thing I care about: games. I am a gamer and I want to play games on these machines. That's what I shell my money for. **** Sony and their attempt to throw down our throats their hub bullshit, their personal format quest, their lies and manipulations. I am not paying 600 hundred euros to have a Blu-ray called PS3, but I would have gladly paid double that price for a kick ass PlayStation hardware had it granted me the best games around. The mercedes of videogames my ass. Multimediality is fine, but what consoles should be primarily conceived and marketed for are games. At least that's what I would like, and that's the path Nintendo is maintaining for the industry with their success.

Multimediality is fine, but what consoles should be primarily conceived and marketed for are games. At least that's what I would like, and that's the path Nintendo is maintaining for the industry with their success.
Egg****ingzactly. Alot of people around here, and some mods, and the "hardcore gaming press" in general seem to conveniently forget that. I say anyone who truly hates Nintendo aren't real gamers. Little do they realize that Nintendo is the only one actually focusing on games and largely games alone this generation, not some shitty pseudo-movie "game" or some social interactiong bullshit. Go watch a good movie or a good book or something, or go outside and make real friends.

chibcicylist said:
Egg****ingzactly. Alot of people around here, and some mods, and the "hardcore gaming press" in general seem to conveniently forget that. I say anyone who truly hates Nintendo aren't real gamers. Little do they realize that Nintendo is the only one actually focusing on games and largely games alone this generation, not some shitty pseudo-movie "game" or some social interactiong bullshit. Go watch a good movie or a good book or something, or go outside and make real friends.

Uh. Weather Channel, News Channel, Everybody ****ing VOTES Channel?

Nintendo is just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to "non gaming" functionality. They're just not 600$ guilty.

Eteric Rice

Dragona Akehi said:

Nintendo is just as guilty as everyone else when it comes to "non gaming" functionality. They're just not 600$ guilty.

Yeah, but that's free stuff. Blu-Ray definately drove the cost up.

Dragona Akehi said:

Those things are not the focus though. And I did say largely about games. Sony and Microsoft wants to take over your entertainment center.

Eteric Rice

Dragona Akehi said:
You'll note:

Yeah, but I don't mind non-gaming stuff on my Wii unless it costs me something. :p When they start charging, then I'll get annoyed.

Already annoyed that they'll be charging for the browser.

Deku

Banned
Wiitard said:
Could you explain how your superior intelligence managed to come up with accurate predictions of how many Wiis will be produced in, say, August 07 based on that information?

Wiitard said:
We have no clue on the biggest unknown in this console war: what is up with Nintendo's production? It's really amazing just how much in the dark we are.
Wiitard said:
We have no clue on the biggest unknown in this console war: what is up with Nintendo's production? It's really amazing just how much in the dark we are.
Wiitard said:

What does August 07 have to do with it? Your patronizing remarks have already been answered which was pointed out. If you still don't get it, then perhaps you should reconsider your intelligence level.

justchris

Dragona Akehi said:

Hey now, I'll give you Weather & News, but the Everybody Votes Channel is one of my favorite games on they system.

Saitou said:
Actually, I expect them to re-direct FFvsXIII to XBox if anything. Think about it, what with larger install base in the west (for now, and likely for a while longer) and Live. Not to mention that work on Vs is low enough so that a system switch isn't all that harmful.

Wasn't the engine specifically built around the PS3?

Deku

Banned
justchris said:
Hey now, I'll give you Weather & News, but the Everybody Votes Channel is one of my favorite games on they system.

It's strangely addicting. I check it every few days to see the results of the votes. It's certainly an application that will get people to turn on their Wii more often.

Saitou

Banned
that article deku posted said:
In light of the upcoming Xbox 360 Elite launch, Microsoft intends to reduce the costs of the current 360 models, and is expecting its manufacturing partners Celestica, Flextronics and Wistron to reduce their quotes for production accordingly.
whatdog.gif

kermit.gif kermit.gif kermit.gif kermit.gif kermit.gif

Deku said:
It's strangely addicting. I check it every few days to see the results of the votes. It's certainly an application that will get people to turn on their Wii more often.

The last few surveys have actually been getting hard. I got stumped with the musical instrument question. I am surprised alot of people apparently can play them.

Dragona Akehi said:

As much as I love Nintendo, and have disdain for the other 2 as corporate firms. I agree with you. But I knew that as soon as they were announced. In my mind I thought, "as if there isn't enough convenience to get information about the weather or the news". I thought of these channels as secondary and rather a stray from Nintendo's perceived ambition.

I do agree also with Eteric Rice and Chibcicylist.

But I think Nintendo needed something to add to the feature list. If you read their Iwata ask's interviews, you can see this is something they all discussed. A lot of the points we bring up were brought up, so they obviously thought about it a lot. They knew that these channels were not entirely in line with what they were about. Ultimately they knew their aim was to increase their demographic, and if people of an older generation were going to start playing games then, they were going to want other, more, practical software. (Sorry I can't think of a better word, maybe "sensible" or "useful"). This is not to say that, an older demographic had not already started on the PS2, but Nintendo wants to cater to the demographic who are Brain Training, as well as the ones who have been gaming for long. All in all I think it was necessary for these channels to exist, but I have only realised that in hindsight. It just goes to show how much thought had gone into the development, and how far ahead they are thinking. You can have all the money in the world, and all the staff you can employ, but if you haven't got that level of depth and intelligence it makes no difference.

justchris

chibcicylist said:
The last few surveys have actually been getting hard. I got stumped with the musical instrument question. I am surprised alot of people apparently can play them.

You too? Yeah, I got that one wrong, because I figured the majority of people may have had some basic musical training on a simple instrument, but probably wouldn't actually consider that being able to play. So either more people who own Wiis can actually play musical instruments than I thought, or learning to play 2 songs on the flute in elementary school counts as being able to play an instrument.

Which is why I love this game, it's like you're playing against the whole world at once. Or at least, the whole world that owns a Wii.

chibcicylist said:
Heh. The way I considered that one was like "Well, I played a recorder in elementary school, does that count? I don't think so, but probably many people are full enough of themselves to think it does, so I predict Yes will win."

Wiitard

Banned
Deku said:
What does August 07 have to do with it? Your patronizing remarks have already been answered which was pointed out. If you still don't get it, then perhaps you should reconsider your intelligence level.

MY partronizing remarks?

1) I make a statement that we don't know much about what will happen with Nintendo production.

2) You, unpartonizingly point out that "I am in the dark" providing link to the article about how Nintendo is looking for new subcontractors. You are right, this information was indeed new to me in its specifics. However, it did not really add one iota of new data to the fact that Nintendo is seeking to expand its production, which is no news at all.

3) I pointed out, in a tone similar to the one in you previous post, that knowing something about Wii production would mean being able to answer questions such as "What will be the production level in August of 07". Since you began by claiming enlightment superior to my own, I merely requested that you share its fruits.

jesusraz

Cheesemeister said:
There won't be two complete HW ranking tables, mind you. The breakdown numbers will be all alone.

Hopefully this will end the complaining from everyone on the issue. =P

I wasn't asking you to ditch the combined numbers, merely asking for this other option to satisfy those who prefer it. And with your calculations perhaps it will prevent minor accumulated errors that appear to have crept into my calculations (from waking up first thing and doing them groggily).

Thanks for taking this on-board :)

chibcicylist said:

Well the piano/keyboard is a pretty popular instrument and is pretty easy to play.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Heh. The way I considered that one was like "Well, I played a recorder in elementary school, does that count? I don't think so, but probably many people are full enough of themselves to think it does, so I predict Yes will win."
One constant thing I did notice is that people(or those who have a Wii in the household) generally think they are better than everyone else, full of themselves and are quite selfish. It sounds like there are alot of me out there.:lol

ziran

Endymion said:
It's unbelievable how the console war scenario has changed since the last two years.
I agree. The way Nintendo has taken back Japan never ceases to amaze. Not only have they found an answer to the decline in popularity of videogames, by taking on Playstation, they were also taking on virtually every 3rd Party, and to come out on top is nothing short of incredible!

As for PS3, the time for benefit of the doubt is over as far as I'm concerned. It's in massive trouble in Japan. To have no releases between now and the summer is so dumb. Wii is still selling everything Nintendo can ship on the strength of the launch games, so when more games come out its popularity is only going to increase. PS3 has no chance of becoming the dominant console in Japan imo, Wii's momentum is too great for it to overcome. The question now is, compared to PS2, just how poorly is PS3 going to end up selling.

As for the FFXIII talk, I think it's still going to appear on PS3, although I can see a Wii and 360 port happening. Regardless, even with FFXIII as a PS3 exclusive, PS1/2 type dominance is still over for Sony in Japan.

One thing's for sure, if Wii continues to sell the way it has been in 12-18 months every 3rd Party game which targets the mainstream gamer in Japan, especially those titles with the potential to sell over 200k, will be appearing on the system.

Neomoto

Strange that Wii hardware shipments are actually growing with Golden Week coming up! Looks like they're selling everything they manufacture. Maybe it is true that there won't be a huge ammount of Wii's avaiable for Golden Week when Super Paper Mario hits, but instead a normal shipment to go along with the killer app?

fresquito said:
Next week Wii will cross the million mark YTD.
In two weeks it will cross the two million mark LTD.
In about three weeks it will be halfway the GC LTD.

Impressive.
I like the way it is "perfectly" orderd in number of weeks lol.

English Training 2 sales are pretty weak imo, maybe it'll do better through word of mouth and such (was their any advertising?)

Brak

ziran said:
As for PS3, the time for benefit of the doubt is over as far as I'm concerned. It's in massive trouble in Japan. To have no releases between now and the summer is so dumb.
It's pretty weird that we may witness the PS3 drop to less than 10,000 units in a week at some point in the next 3 months. And they've already had a freakin price cut.

Brak said:
It's pretty weird that we may witness the PS3 drop to less than 10,000 units in a week at some point in the next 3 months. And they've already had a freakin price cut.
Does this signify that Japan is indeed the land of the non-game now?

Wiitard

Banned
Brak said:

Yes, I second that. I would say it is unbelievable that they ARE selling 20,000 units a week given how little they have going for them in Japan.

TheKingsCrown said:
Does this signify that Japan is indeed the land of the non-game now?

Dedicated gaming devices beating multimedia devices capabable of playing games. Sure seems like it.

Rocksteady33

The Super Paper Mario/Brain Training combo is going to kick the PS3 while it's down. How could Sony be so naive to not have any software lined up within the next couple of months?

Wiitard

Banned
Rocksteady33 said:
The Super Paper Mario/Brain Training combo is going to kick the PS3 while it's down. How could Sony be so naive to not have any software lined up within the next couple of months?

Do you really thing THAT was their biggest mistake. I doubt that at this point they even care about Japan very much - it's the only region where PS3 did not seem to do much for the Blu-Ray.

Eteric Rice

I'm still curious as to what will happen world wide. I know the Wii is growing at a rate that very few thought it would.

What about in Europe, and North America? Will it be able to push down the Playstation in those places?

JoshuaJSlone said:

Nuclear Muffin said:
Well the piano/keyboard is a pretty popular instrument and is pretty easy to play.

Thus illustrating perfectly how two people can reach the same conclusion but only one of them for the right reasons.

johnsmith

remember me
Eteric Rice said:
I'm still curious as to what will happen world wide. I know the Wii is growing at a rate that very few thought it would.

What about in Europe, and North America? Will it be able to push down the Playstation in those places?

It already has in the US. Still too early in Europe.

Top Bottom